Sign in to follow this  
RickBuch

[REVIEW] Dir en Grey - MISSA (1997)

Missa.jpg

Dir en Grey is one of the most well know japanese bands in the world, you can meet someone that doesn´t like japanese music at all, but they like Dir en Grey, it happens to me all the time...
Today they are know for they experimental extreme metal songs, but, one day they where just a visual kei band doing they "true" things you know, for some is hard to believe that it is the same band.
Released in 1997, MISSA is their first EP, the music was kind of similar to what they were doing in La:Sadie's, lyrical themes and etc...
So, let's go!

01.霧と繭
I think that this song may be one of my favorite visual kei songs of all time(It is on my top 5 songs in my last fm chart). The song stars with a wind sound and Kyo whispering some phases and then the old school octave riffage starts with drums blasting all the way, the bass tone is just amazing in this one, love it! The solo is simple but i like it very much, it just done right. The song talk's about suicide, as Kyo means that he doesn´t need his cocoon(body) anymore.
It's a fun fact, and who could imagine, that one day we could listen to a deathcore version of this song, done by the same band, but, i still preffer the original song for all it's context and epicness. Just a classic.
10/10

02.「S」
This songs starts with a frenetic bass drum kick ending the time count with the cymbals, then the guitar enters with a octave riff(i think they liked doing that a lot), the song has a, almost, danceable rhythm if you think about it, the vocal melody isn´t nothing special, don´t appeal to me too much. Overall its a nice song, just that.
7/10

03.Erode
Remember that orgasmatic bass tone? aw god... I feel that this bass intro is somehow iconic to me, the guitar melody that enter to complete the intro is very nice too, i like how the first verse has a mysterious feel leading to a nice song. The lyrics are about lost love, and maybe, about suicide... just kiding.
9/10

04.蒼い月
"Akai sora, aoi tsuki..." Another classic old school Dir en Grey song, i love how this song has a odd 5/4 timing. Overall, the song is kind of repetitive, but in a good way, it doesn´t have a chorus at all, just a "Blue & Die" moment.
9/10

05.Garden
Somehow, this is the most popular song in the EP, i think that because it is a upbeat song, not so "melancholic" as the other songs, it's more similar to the other upbeat visual kei songs of its time, it remembers me of my teenager years... Ah, forgot, nice song. C'mon sing along... "GARDEN sugi yuku kono kisetsu no naka de itsu made mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

8/10

06.秒「」深
They used to play this one a lot live, fast visual kei song uhuuuuu, headbang with your friends. Just to finish this EP in good mood, giving the feeling that they had a lot to show yet, the main riff is very nice. Ah, the song finishes with mad screaming, missed that...
8/10

This EP is undoubtedly a visual kei classic, the bass tone, the "true" feeling, classic Dir en Grey was very successful, the right band in the right time and country, no doubt this era is considered influential until today in the scene, Gri... cof cof eva...
Buy this in the first chance you have!

OVERALL: 8,5

Sign in to follow this