Karma’s Hat

The Nu metal 00's in Visual kei

@Ito100% same, I mean, hide's solo stuff is solid enough in general, but Zilch's 3 2 1 was like one of the first albums I REALLY got into back when I was 14 or so, it helped me gradually shuffle out of that "NOTHING BUT JAPANESE MUSIC MOTHERFUCKERRRR" bubble and it's just all around a good-ass album, I still like it quite a lot. Feel like I know a large part of the album by heart too. It's honestly a shame nothing more happened with the project before hide died.. Also a shame that the stuff they continued to do after hide's death seemed to be... less than stellar :/

don't let this topic die, pls

Ahhh I forgot Disqloc!! Ahhh I spun the SHIT out of the single five-six years ago when I first got into VK. One of the last nu metal VK bands I know of. Man, this brings back plenty of very, very fond memories.

I know this topic is pretty much dead, but I thought I'd mention a band no one has brought up. Most of us probably know these guys. Cuartet. They were Climax Enterprise's flagship band, and kind of represented the transition period between 90's and 2000's vkei. Before that, there was sort of an industrial-influenced sound mixed with a little punk being seen in bands like Gill'e Cadith and some of Kagerou, which then would be emulated in The GazettE and Cuartet (which, I'm sure we know are connected due to Saki and Ruki having a band together, and initially being produced by the same guy). During this early era, many bands were mixing sounds together, and Cuartet, being the Dir en Grey and Kagerou stans they are, kind of went into a Nu-Metal sound, but still keeping a bit of the post-punk and thrash metal influence the 90's had. In some songs, it even sort was more of a groove-metal sound, giving vibes similar to Machine Head. Though I'm not sure whether that's coincidental, or on purpose. 

I wish I could find more bands like Cuartet. So far, only Etcetera comes to mind, but they're way less Nu Metal. Also while Saki isn't the best vocalist, he carries a tune way better than Yukika did, and there weren't any audible deep breaths. I seriously need more early 2000's Nu-Metal Transition-Kei. It seems as if transition-kei that ISN'T Nu Metal is much easier to find. 

Saki continued with the Nu-Metal schtick, though I haven't listened to his current band enough to know whether he's still doing it, or progressed onto core. 

Apologies for the necro bump, but I found this thread on google randomly while trying to find the band "Cannabis", which wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread. Cannabis is literally the most 'nu metal' sounding visual kei band I have ever heard, and I will post two of their songs below to give an example of what I'm talking about.

Apparently the guitarist would later go to 6 ft down, which is kinda cool I guess. lol

Edited by shiroihana