Zeus

7.3 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Near Tokyo & Fukushima, Japan

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-quake-idUSKBN13G2DC?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

A powerful earthquake rocked northern Japan on Tuesday, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, generating a tsunami that hit the same northern Pacific coast devastated by a massive quake, tsunami and nuclear disaster in 2011.

The earthquake, which was felt in Tokyo, had a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 and was centered off the coast of Fukushima prefecture at a depth of about 10 km (6 miles), the agency said.

A tsunami of up to 1 meter (3 feet) had been observed around Fukushima following the quake which struck at 5:59 a.m. (3.59 p.m. ET), public broadcaster NHK said, after warning of waves of up to 3 meters (10 feet) has been issued.

All nuclear plants on the coast threatened by the tsunami are shutdown in the wake of the March 2011 disaster, which knocked out Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, spilling radiation into the air and sea.

No other damage from the quake has been confirmed at any of its power plants, although there have been blackouts in some areas, the spokeswoman added.

Not again...

As long as the generators, which keep the nuclear reactors under control, don't give out again, they should be ok.

I would imagine they planned ahead for another incident again to occur.

EDIT: Looks like it did fail abruptly, but it's back up.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/11/22/09/26/nuclear-engineers-checking-fukushima-for-damage

Edited by YuyoDrift

I felt the quake in Tokyo, it was pretty mild though, stuff rattled around etc. But otherwise it wasn't too awful. Just annoying because there was aftershocks for an hour or so which prevented me from sleeping...