Sign in to follow this  
toto

ONE OK ROCK - New Album Ambitions

I've been thinking a bit about how this reminds me heavily of Girugamesh...

But, at least with Giru, the sound they were going for was just a super light Giru, whereas this...
These songs really love to oversell themselves, they go for that vast "epic" sort of stadium song feel without anything to back it up, at all. It's empty, shallow and heartless, like it was written by someone else for them, like 90% of modern major pop acts. There's no energy to it, there's no emotion, it's just generic. It's not compelling, it's just slightly nodding whilst I'm doing anything else that's far more interesting.

I find it funny that the American label that signed them also produces a lot of similar bands that suffer from similar issues. I'm happy for them if this is their thing, it's not often we see a band of a language other than English make it into the market but at the same time it really sucks because of what they had to give up in order to do so, to be successful you have to tick boxes, the more you appeal to the masses you appeal less to the individual. It's easy to make something that thousands will like but harder to make something that hundreds will love and I suppose at the end of the day you need to ask yourself which matters more.

3 hours ago, NICKT said:

I've been thinking a bit about how this reminds me heavily of Girugamesh...

But, at least with Giru, the sound they were going for was just a super light Giru, whereas this...

I'm not the only one that thought the exact same thing, then. Tried to defend OOR the same way I did with Giru but when they went somewhat pop-ish, it felt like in the next album they'd try something else (and hell, they surely did. that's my giru). Sadly I don't feel the same way about OOR... it's so obvious that they're going for the easy way. They seem lost in easiness. 

I really hope I'm wrong though, I really hope so.

And if this what they want, well then, I surely won't be following them on their journey.

this is the best song on Ambitions so far, HANDS DOWN. They decided to go a more mainstream/pop-rock direction, which I'm not really fond of, but this is the sweet middle spot between too watered down and a composition that actually has some heart. Heavy stadium rock vibes, 30 seconds to mars-ish. I can dig this.

Edited by chemicalpictures

16 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

this is the best song on Ambitions so far, HANDS DOWN. They decided to go a more mainstream/pop-rock direction, which I'm not really fond of, but this is the sweet middle spot between too watered down and a composition that actually has some heart. Heavy stadium rock vibes, 30 seconds to mars-ish. I can dig this.

yea 30 seconds to mars is what I thought about too. Too bad I find 30 seconds to mars horribly boring D:

I don't think this new direction is all because of the label. These guys have been doing the same thing for a while now and it's only natural to want something new. Hopefully the results are good and all... (personally not too convinced yet)

Ugh... 5 Seconds of Summer?! No, thank you.  I wish them all the best and I hope they achieve whaever the hell they want to achieve abroad. But you gotta draw the line somewhere and having  ALL TIME FUCKING LOW, WASHED UP AVRIL (NOT EVEN DUMB FUN LET GO-ERA, AVRIL) and 5 Seconds of Summer all together means I'm out. They won't miss me, for now atleast. but call me back when ONE OK ROCK bombs and decide to celebrate the 10th anniversary of BEAM OF LIGHT or ゼイタクビョウ.

Wait... Shit, ゼイタクビョウ IS TEN YEARS OLD ALREADY. Ok, I'll wait for the 20th anniversary, then.

And I really agree with this part:

On 09/01/2017 at 6:09 PM, NICKT said:

I'm happy for them if this is their thing, it's not often we see a band of a language other than English make it into the market but at the same time it really sucks because of what they had to give up in order to do so, to be successful you have to tick boxes, the more you appeal to the masses you appeal less to the individual. It's easy to make something that thousands will like but harder to make something that hundreds will love and I suppose at the end of the day you need to ask yourself which matters more.

Integrity doesn't pay the bills but being completely broke totally beats than having FIVE SECONDS OF SUMMER on your record.

On 1/10/2017 at 10:23 AM, chemicalpictures said:

really really nice live ver. MUST WATCH.

Them lyrics are cheese as fuck bro. But the impact this entire performance had is undefeated.

Ballin.

OOR is a band that I care very little 2 check out their studio stuff these days because I find a lot of it boring but after their show in Boston that i checked out for shits and giggles, and this...

It goes to show that they can pull off one hell of a show and I can commend/respect them for that. 

Ugh, more of that soulless stadium rock.

It's like, let's make this grandiose sounding songs that are hollow as fuck, GG.

Also, Man With A Mission already did Take What U Want, way better song, and also a band that sound-wise might do alright in the Western market and not have to abandon their sound and core to do so. Latest song's being worked on by a guy from Fallout Boy if I remember correctly,  if only One Ok Rock watched and took notes.

For the record Taka said he doesn't really like 'American Girls'. It's clear that the American label is pushing for them to break into the mainstream market overseas. Some of the songs on the Japanese version of the album are much more OOR style imo.

Yeah, this is not my favorite song on the album either, I don't blame him lol. But the video was cute. Kinda wish it would have shown them tracking down all 4 members because I'm kind of sick of OOR = Taka's face.  

It's not a bad song though I still like it, but I would rather them put songs on their albums they love than songs that just make their label happy... Stay you OOR<3

17 minutes ago, freesia said:

http://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/one-ok-rocks-ryota-rumored-to-have-married-avril-lavignes-sister/71447/

Thoughts? I heard that Ryota was dating a not very famous Japanese actress before but this marriage will certainly bring OOR to an international fame and success (if it's true). So much ambition.

Yes indeed

Xk7HgNs.jpg

Sign in to follow this