Karma’s Hat

Oshare of the 2000's

3 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

Not a single mention of Ayabie here?! Shame on y'all :P

We're talking about bands who were actually good, sorry :/

jk, as much as I disliked Ayabie back then, they were great for a minute right after Yumehito joined them. I was addicted to this song right here for quite a while (although mostly due to the guitar riff):

aww, this thread brings back so many memories! ;u;

somebody's gotta at least post one baroque video so i'll take the pleasure of doing it~ still dark musically, but the introduction of brighter clothes in the scene shows in this pv.

and well, here's one of their funner songs too.

i think most bands i know have been mentioned already, but here's one that i still really like to this day. it's too bad that they only released two songs. some might recognize that the vocalist went on to form the an cafe copy band called zip.er, which i also like tbh, but mostly their early stuff.

This thread is killing me. The nostalgia feels. I remember the first time I listened to an cafe. I hated them, then after I got through a few tracks I was In love 

3 hours ago, saishuu said:

Also in regards to AN CAFE, I don't say this too often, but their first full-lenght (色彩モーメント) was GREAT. I'm not sure how it holds up these days (haven't listened to it in forever), but I freaking loved it back then. マグニャカルタ also had some pretty cool tunes (mostly the singles, but still - スマイル一番 イイ♀ is a gem).

ETA: @r...you know you want to contribute to this thread.

Why do people look over their first mini though? Not that it's stellar but some surprising koteosa songcraft from them:

2 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

aww, this thread brings back so many memories! ;u;

somebody's gotta at least post one baroque video so i'll take the pleasure of doing it~ still dark musically, but the introduction of brighter clothes in the scene shows in this pv.

and well, here's one of their funner songs too.

oh................now I see why y'all hated their latest single.

I like this baroque better ;w;

4 hours ago, returnal said:

that vinett song is so good omg, i need to check them out

them having two members from Eliphas Levi is brain melting to me lol

thanks for pointing this out, it's brain melting indeed. Gave it a try and loved it, it's so good

(found some links that are still up right here http://evil-en-lucifer.blogspot.com.br/2010/06/vinett.html )

5 hours ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

If this is some sort of intervention to get me to finally try An Cafe after 9 years of this glittery, hot glued, and ramen-stained hell, I will not stand for it

shikisai moment PVs are everything, and get progressively more incredible with the viewers drankness level going up, 20/10, highly recommend ((cointreau IV drip sold separately))

it's a one of its kind experience in VK tbh

26 minutes ago, midi:nette said:

oh................now I see why y'all hated their latest single.

I like this baroque better ;w;

i, for one, dig it :P definitely something, tho. all for ryo being super fluffed out

also: ever since i got into baroque, i've been fascinated with this piece of mid-2000s jrock fandom slander

1 minute ago, appl- said:

ALL THE FEELINGS

and it's difficult to believe that this guy from a thumbnail

40a795b0e6b7ae8d02f04a1a15faa8fa.jpg?v=1

looks like this now

CG0wd5xVIAAxYsc.jpg

I WAS SO SHOCKED when i realized it

lol

seriously tho it's wild!!! god bless johannes. god bless him

this has probably been said/explored elsewhere on this forum, but "oshare" in its germinal stages was really a cauldron of heterogeneous strands of sound and style that probably meant 30 different things to 10 different people. there's a lot in there. arguably its definition only got murkier with time (today it means everything from "colorful clothes" to "bands that do sessions in suits" to "bands that don't scream" lolol, which is frankly ridiculous and totally unhelpful)

most of the representative bands have already been listed, so i'll just contribute a few from my own personal trajectory through oshare which inevitably reveals a lot more about my interests than oshare as such haha.

176BIZ was the シド that never abandoned vk, and its style survived into its later incarnation ZUCK which stayed 100% true to its spirit till disbandment. not surprising, given that Yuu pretty much wrote everything.

SwallowtaiL-スワロウテイル- and phase faith (don't be deceived by their host looks!!) belonged to the strand of late-2000 white-kei-influenced oshare that shared a similar kind of sound with other bands playing contemporaneously like レイラ.

ジミニークリケット came a little later, but sound wise they could totally have fit into the line of more subdued yet uplifting sound that possibly started with Clavier and subsequently inherited by Toon-Factory and co. This was written by shia and it's really not difficult to see how it foreshadowed some of Chanty's materials today as well (especially their earlier stuff)

i won't derail the thread too much but it's possible to map larger continuities between oshare of the 2000 and later bands if you look hard enough, even though the tendency is to look back on it wistfully as some kind of a bygone era.  as an example: the toolbox of sounds baroque brought to vk in early 2000 went in so many directions, the most direct one led to rap-oriented bands like bis and a little later: BAELSCOPE, 東京指定, TRA TRA TRA, etc. among the bigger bands, vistlip and SuG describe themselves as ミクスチャー("mixture rock") and regularly cite baroque as an important influence. if you're nostalgic for the idiosyncratic/quirky kote-osa sound (JRD is the expert here), there's SDM, the new (post-ritsu) GLAM GRAMM@R, and there's even a bit of it in early i.Rias. sure, it's not exactly the same, but there's a lot out there, still. :)

Edited by hiroki

Man, I feel like this thread has served as a reminder that I never much cared for Oshare Kei. I dabbled in it, but very little stuck.

But for whatever reason, I still love the fuck out of Panic Channel's Pink Cherry.

15 minutes ago, Ito said:

But for whatever reason, I still love the fuck out of Panic Channel's Pink Cherry.

As you should!

I thought about including 176BIZ actually, but then I remembered their music style was all over the place (they even ripped off MUCC in one of their first singles lol) and their looks weren't really similar to the more colorful ones from the same era, save for Tara. Their first full-length (Atelier?) was really good though.

@CarmelzorsI vaguely remember enjoying some of AN CAFE's pre-Shikisai Moment songs, but that album was what stuck with me the most. But yeah, their early stuff wasn't actually all that happy and bubbly music they came to embrace later in their career.

Edited by saishuu

omfg johannes was that person from ichigo69???? i've seen that picture a lot but didn't listen to them much. that music sample is pretty good tho.

and ahh yesss, i forgot to mention bis!!

16 minutes ago, returnal said:

i never knew about this lol wtf.

@Euthanasia i think akihabara shounendan dennou romeo counts. i prefer them over shin's later band ViViD.

there's also soroban, which i like more than zoro.

anjyu' aren't bad either.

6 minutes ago, Biopanda said:

Y'all forgot the queens of oshare

omg what's the provenance of this i love it so much??

also gotta re-add 秋葉原少年団☆電脳ロメオ to my library they're good and they have a top-10 band name for me

1 minute ago, returnal said:

omg what's the provenance of this i love it so much??

also gotta re-add 秋葉原少年団☆電脳ロメオ to my library they're good and they have a top-10 band name for me

I cut it from their super rare live DVD that probably only I own because I'm their #1 megafan ayane come back i miss u bae

You all pretty much mentioned every oshare band I like goddammit.

But here are some I didn't see mentioned:

Cooky:

Spoiler

K→STYLE:

Spoiler

Medi@lize:

Spoiler

Vier la drain:

Spoiler

Serial⇔NUMBER:

Spoiler

Teddy:

Spoiler

Porori:

Spoiler

AILE:

Spoiler

Melody:

Spoiler

Mirror:

Spoiler

SMILE:

Spoiler

I wasn't sure if MELODY counted or not since they predated the oshare movement. There's certainly enough similarities that one could draw, so if anything it shows an interesting look at the evolution from 90s white-kei/sofubi to what we consider the oshare of the 2000s.

12 hours ago, Delkmiroph said:

Yeah, i support you. I really want the disco them (I lost some years ago) 

I may have found it? http://visualkeitokun.blogspot.fi/search/label/Ordermade I don't vouch for the files therein as I've yet to dl them all, but the links appear all to work. This blogspot also has a quite a few other bands mentioned in this topic ( got sum of that henzel there for instance ). 

Edited by Disposable

I have a nostalgia feeling when I read some bands names like Heart, Henzel, Dollis Marry etc.. it's like I be back in my teenage days.
Surprise to not see Mask I prefer the first line-up with Aoi on vocal his voice are better than Jin

My fav song of Serial Number I lost my interest on this band coz of the multiple changes of the line up

And for finish the "king" of Oshare kei who are still alive, Keyuu voice is powerful and wonderful, Yuura bass line are so incredible, the previous guitarist Mai was good but for me the new guitarist Taizo is better and Yasuno is a solid drummer

Edited by Lereku