Karma’s Hat

Oshare of the 2000's

I had kind of a love-hate relationshipwith Oshare-Kei at the time. I loved bands and I didn't like others. The ones I didn't like were those that had more of a mainstream sound and those that started with the indies sound and then went mainstream/major.

An Cafe, for example.  I love their music until 2005. I think their initial sunds was awesome but they went major with what the market was demaning from bands in terms of sound/music and it ruined it for me. Their music became uninteresting to me. A friend of mine loved them and we would argue about change in music many times >.<

Similar thing with Ayabie. First song and PV I watched was Gothic Party Speed Session and it was love at first sight, obsessed with the song, but I soon realised the band was not going to stick to that sound and showed signs of something more mainstream so I stopped listening to them. Similar thing with Lolita23q.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeaS0A5JavQ

Edited by seikun

Remember back when liking Oshare could get you banned from certain groups? Those were some good times.

No but, seriously, I think that most people who were vocal about their "hatred" of oshare more did it as a gimmick than anything else, oshare fans, who were often young girls, were easy bait for bored "edgy" teenagers who thought that trolling others favorite bands were a fun thing to do. 

I admit I prefer proto-oshare like Shazna to the more modern bands, but some bands like 愛狂います。 had great guitar-work early on and to be honest I never dabbled in the more obscure ones due to lack of time and too many other bands that more immediately appealed to my sensibilities.

7 minutes ago, WhirlingBlack said:

Remember back when liking Oshare could get you banned from certain groups? Those were some good times.

Definitely.  Hiding fondness for 176biz or AnCafe was a thing.

Was JOKER considered oshare? Because I remeber some fierce battles over it - basically if you liked them, they weren't oshare, if you hated them, they were eww oshare. I think similar arguments were over soroban. ..

This thread is a blast from the past indeed.

If you don't love early Kra there's something really wrong with you. The first five minis are still cool! ブリキの旗 just might be on my top 20 V系 songs ever. Unfortunately for them, 舞ちょ was the heart and soul of the band. When he left, the last bit of my attention also went out the window. But I'll be damned if 景夕 and 結良 weren't great.

Edited by r...

^ Oh man, I totally forgot about them too! Kra's early stuff was so goooood! I haven't listened to it in forever. I had "Kuu" stuck in my head for moooonths back when I discovered them. "Shounen Boogie", "Tatoe", "Fusion", "Circus" and "Showtime" were some of my other favorites.

Someone uploaded that kuu single on here months back and I thought it was fabulous. I've never been arsed to browse through their discography thoroughly, but from what I gather the early ep's are fine as well. No idea about the albums, not sure if I have any of them even.

9 minutes ago, Disposable said:

Someone uploaded that kuu single on here months back and I thought it was fabulous. I've never been arsed to browse through their discography thoroughly, but from what I gather the early ep's are fine as well. No idea about the albums, not sure if I have any of them even.

I really like their first album, dhar·ma, and the singles leading up to it, but after that I completely lost track of their music. Pretty much everything until 2006 is perfectly good.

As much as I consider kannivalism/baroque the founding fathers of oshare, I have to concede that Kra, An Cafe and Panic Ch have their fair share of guilt in spreading the word around. I remember when the western fanbase was all about Panic Ch, lol. good ol' days

I like that Kannivalism/Baroque sound and I like the Aicle. sound, are there more good hidden gems w/ a similar style?

The amount of musicianship and interesting compositions that lie beneath the copious layers of makeup and discount high-collar jackets is astoundingly big! I like most oshare bands, the exceptions being stuff like Maria Cross, whose voice is unbearable imo.

Aicle, Lolita23q, DogInThePwO are too good for me to ignore. Maybe it's the fusion of silly antics and noodley/technical guitarwork...

I know that some people already mentioned them, but I have to say it again: Vinett was friggin' amazing. Their album is so very sweet. One of my favorite moments from 2004.

And it's interesting to see just how incredibly influential バロック was. There were tons of copycats, but very seldom they were able to recreate the songwriting prowess of 圭 and 晃. That and the insane charisma and character that 怜 has. Damn, they are good...

as catchy as Vinett was, I can't take them seriously because of their members past bands... It was like a bunch of old dudes getting together to make some cash on the new sound kids are enjoying now... you really can't go from Akai Meikyuu to Twinkle Twinkle without some serious kind of music direction compromise

Edited by chemicalpictures

So ''back in the day'' I used to download pretty much everything that showed up on my local visual kei download website, that means I listened to a huge load of shit and came across a ton of oshare kei bands. My feelings were always mixed towards that genre, but the ones that stuck with me to this day are aicle. and cindykate. Here's my contribution

No one has mentioned the aborted messiah of oshare kei : ASS'n'ARRow ~あすなろ~

Spoiler

These guys were fantastic and had a lot of potential to become a strong band after people got wind of this song. But they broke up not long after their 2nd album (if anyone has it, I beg  you to share). The bassist is now in lynch. and the drummer is in a newly formed band that got a lot of attention for its line up. No word of the vocalist aZum </3

ブラックPIG

Spoiler

Never listened much to these guys but if you need something worse than Wagamama Paradeis, this might be the thing.

DIS★Marionette

ファジログ Fuzylog

Spoiler

Lupo Label

Spoiler

I know people have mentioned CindyKate but I just needed to share, I think this is my favorite song by them (along with Fish Fight)

Spoiler

関西変態系お笑いヴィジュアルバンドHEAR - (Kansai Hentai-kei Owarai Visual Band HEAR)  an oshare band with a great female vocalist. They wrote fantastic lyrics and had 10/10 songs. They just kind of disappeared. A huge shame, I would love to find out what the singer is up to.

Spoiler

Edited by Platy

1 hour ago, chemicalpictures said:

as much as catchy Vinett was, I can't take them seriously because of their members past bands... It was like a bunch of old dudes getting together to make some cash on the new sound kids are enjoying now... you really can't go from Akai Meikyuu to Twinkle Twinkle without some serious kind of music direction compromise

If you can create something as fun and rocking as HAPPY!!, yeah you can.

And here are a couple of other songs I liked back in the day:

I haven't listened to some of these songs in over 10 years. Holy crap... this was a great thread. We need more of these.

22 minutes ago, Platy said:

Reveal hidden contents

These guys were fantastic and had a lot of potential to become a strong band after people got wind of this song. But they broke up not long after their 2nd album (if anyone has it, I beg  you to share). The bassist is now in lynch. and the drummer is in a newly formed band that got a lot of attention for its line up. No word of the vocalist aZum </3

Azum had done a Vinett-like 180 as well XD This was what he was doin' right before ASS'n'ARRow

13 minutes ago, Platy said:

From them I always first and foremost remember this ballad lolol

Checking all my my vk boxes 'ere. It features mind blowingly elementary musicianship and a melodramatic chorus for the ages; and did I mention they look stunning in all their multicolored trinkets? I'll leave it for you to decide which of these three I consider most important attribute when it comes to the music I listen to...

25 minutes ago, Disposable said:

From them I always first and foremost remember this ballad lolol

Checking all my my vk boxes 'ere. It features mind blowingly elementary musicianship and a melodramatic chorus for the ages; and did I mention they look stunning in all their multicolored trinkets? I'll leave it for you to decide which of these three I consider most important attribute when it comes to the music I listen to...

Hnnnnng the chorus always gets me. Actually, most of their ballads were great. Azum's look gave me energy and it's still one of my favourite VK looks to date. I remember I thought the drummer was super cute, then saw an unedited picture of him in his cute outfit. He literally looked like a troll, i think it was my first awakening to photoshop and editing in VK. 

@Biopandathat's awesome, thanks for sharing ~

Edited by Platy

I forget to mention ZORO they had solid stuff and released good songs when they were a  oshare kei band before they become electro duo band, the first mini album APOLLO is one of their best albums, catchy tracks and it's better than what they did before under Soroban

1 hour ago, Platy said:

you mean " ネガイラル"? it was shared here on MH

8 hours ago, Tokage said:

I like that Kannivalism/Baroque sound and I like the Aicle. sound, are there more good hidden gems w/ a similar style?

i think xtripx (a bit surprised that they haven't been mentioned yet) have an apparent baroque influence so they might be worth checking out. i recommend all their early stuff though before they turned more hip hop.

this song to me sounds like a mix of baroque's ila. and baby baby.

as for aicle. i don't think i can list any band similar to them cuz they're so unique. the only band that ever slightly made me think of them was when i first listened to dezert, which i think you already listen to them. it's an odd comparison i know as they're both complete opposites in appearance, but their level of craziness and quirkiness kinda gave me the same vibe.

there's actually still so much more for me to explore in this genre, but i do recognize a lot of bands by name. the only thing i know about lupo label is the pink dude flashing his ass all the time in photos lol. yeah i remember them. now's finally the chance for me to go through some of these bands i guess.

How about Missalina Rei? I bet the band also inspired some aspects of Oshare-kei, visually, musically and attitude.

There is this singer in that band, Decola Hopping (or something like that) and the vocalist reminds me a lot of Arisu.

Edited by seikun

I'm saddened to see I'd be the first one to remember Arc ~superlongnamenooneeverremembers~.

Every now and then I slink back into YT to watch their PVs and remember how endearingly horrible KO-JI sounded back then. 

Other than Arc I actually never cared much for Oshare. These boys were just special enough.

Edited by The Bread Wolf