Sign in to follow this  
togz

#88: illion - P.Y.L

tumblr_og8e57lcr81rfey86o1_1280.png

:_8.5/10_: | From Beehives to Water Lillies 

Cn9tTxRUAAEowqy.jpg

illion, is the solo project of RADWIMPS' Yojiro Noda, released his first album Ubu on February 25th 2013 in the UK through Warner Brothers Records. Since the debut of illion, the 2nd awaited album finally surfaced nearly three years later on October 12th 2016. Three years is a lot of time for a musician to grow and learn about their taste when it comes to musical composition. P.Y.L reflects change while staying true to the sound illion represents. 

This album resembles remnants of Ubu.  "Told U So" falls along the same feeling as "BEEHIVE", though that doesn't go to say it doesn't sound new and unique, they're two completely different songs. Both offer complex rhythms (clapping, synths etc), but "Told U So" contains more depth with electronics which makes it feel emotionally heavier. "Water Lily", which was released prior to P.Y.L as a single, has a completely fresh sound. Drifting, or floating is the best word to describe what "Water Lily"  should physically feel like. There's a special type of contrast between the echoing synths, the light strum of guitar, and distorted base that carries Yojiro's flowing vocals. The bar was set high for P.Y.L with such a teaser. There is an interactive site here with vibrant and abstract visuals to compliment the aura of this song, where viewers have the opportunity to manipulate the fade in and outs of the song while utilizing the colors and images spread out through the screen.

"Highlight (feat. 5lack)" has to be the strangest addition. The beginning sounds extremely relevant to the flow of the album and sticks to the sound illion promotes but it shifts about halfway through when a rap lays over a very sluggish instrumental. This track was also released before the full album just after "Water Lily", but it sounds disjointed from the overall picture P.Y.L should create. A change in musical direction really shines in "85", "P.Y.L", and "Wander Lust". All three introduce unpredictable synth techniques that wouldn't be expected from Yojiro. "85" essentially sounds like something right out of Tron or Outer Space. The combination of soft vocals, an 8-bit bass line, and an 80's synth drum beat makes this the most unique track on the entire album. "P.Y.L" and "Wander Lust" are very similar in a sense that they have distorted synths that sound broken,  like when something goes in and out of frequency causing an echo and static. Both have powerful vocal melodies to accompany their peculiar usage of distortion. 

"Miracle" deserves it's own category for having a very smooth and jazzy vocal melody with a very waltz-y piano instrumental. It's the first of eleven songs and works not only as a great opener but a smooth transition from illion's previous album UBU. There's a singer-songwriter section to this release as well. "Dream Play Sick", "Ace", and "Strobo" use orchestral instruments and progress with a very melancholic feel. "Strobo" combines harp in a circular pattern while the piano reinforces the beat with a few chords here and there making the vocal melody the center of attention. The most emotionally heavy is "Ace" which is prominently piano. It's a very simple track, but the whisper-y vocals are chilling and almost haunting. "Dream Play Sick" is a little more playful with phrase pauses and is mainly guitar and vocals for the most part in the beginning (give or take a few claps, static, disjointed violin and layered choppy vocals that resemble some of the techniques used in "MAHOROBA" from UBU). 

Overall this album went above and beyond new material. Yojiro Noda really explored and reached a new level with this release even if a few tracks didn't hit home. "Highlight (feat 5lack)" is the weakest but it's forgivable with songs like "85", "P.Y.L", "Water Lily", and "Told U So" that just hit the ball in to a whole other ball park. 

Support the artist!

CDJapan | iTunes (USA)

Edited by togz

Wonderful review. I have yet to listen to the release because I'm iffy about how much I'll like it. I love RADWIMPS and Noda's first album, but the recent MVs have yet to captivate me. But I must admit "Water Lily" is growing on me (Just love that "From Beehives to Water Lillies" line you did) now that I've returned to give it another listen now, and I have a feeling I'll also dig all the songs you wrote at the bottom as the highlights. I may have to revisit that website on more occasions too. THAT was entrancing. Reminds me of Namie Amuro's Golden Touch. Thanks for reminding me I still need to give it a listen, and for making me enjoy "Water Lily" even more!

2 hours ago, beni said:

Wonderful review. I have yet to listen to the release because I'm iffy about how much I'll like it. I love RADWIMPS and Noda's first album, but the recent MVs have yet to captivate me. But I must admit "Water Lily" is growing on me (Just love that "From Beehives to Water Lillies" line you did) now that I've returned to give it another listen now, and I have a feeling I'll also dig all the songs you wrote at the bottom as the highlights. I may have to revisit that website on more occasions too. THAT was entrancing. Reminds me of Namie Amuro's Golden Touch. Thanks for reminding me I still need to give it a listen, and for making me enjoy "Water Lily" even more!

I feel like I was iffy about it at first too but it had been a decent amount of time since his last release so I figured people's influences change during that time. So while it's still pretty different from Ubu I also feel like it still stays true to his style. 

Im glad you liked this review and let me know what you think later down the road :)

Sign in to follow this