Sign in to follow this  
Hakoniwa

Anyone doing Inktober? Let's share!

I know october is about to end, but I was wondering: Is anyone here doing Inktober?

For those who don't know, it's one of those monthly challenges, the name mixes Ink + october. This challenge is all about ink, it helps you improve your inking techniques and overall it just forces you to practice daily.

As I only recently got back to drawing -- something I love deeply and don't know how I was able to live without for so long --, it's my first time doing this. I'm taking it very slow and not following any prompts, I'm also very late since I've been busy and the weather is too hot for me to do anything. But I'm trying! I'm still on day 13... :<

I'm gonna post a few I liked, but they're not very good. I kept them simple most of the time, since I suck at inking since I decided this would be a sketchy inktober. It has been named "Inketchtober" by me. Bad name, I know. :'D

14574264_1770059716606805_70682777325760

14677458_1160364880667888_15525000976132

14714696_1770434936543497_53117874373897

14693965_659329617560464_130888094976468

^ me, trying to reach Inktober's dead line. And failing. :<

14716496_1774578799475919_77250614213560

That's enough, I guess...lol. I still haven't inked today's. D:

Anyway, I'll keep practicing and get better! If anyone else is doing it, let's share it here :D

Edited by Hakoniwa

Great to see that someone else here is doing Inktober! I've been posting mine up in my personal art thread here x x x (you might have to scroll a bit). And don't worry, I'm not very experienced with using ink either, and it's also my first time taking up the challenge (because I"ve been too busy in previous years to do it). But it's great practice and can be very fun sometimes~ I always love to see what other people can do with the medium, so thanks for making this topic and sharing your Inktober sketches! ^^

Here's my most recent Inktober for the 29th!

tumblr_ofud54aY451r14qd7o1_1280.jpg

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Yay, one more! ^^

I'm really late and haven't had the time to ink stuff everyday, but it's already helped me a lot, I feel. It's been fun! I'm sure I won't be able to complete all days of october, but I'm okay with that. I've been posting them to my instagram account and I didn't have any time to ink today, again! :<

My latest is this one:

14719119_1601554586815522_45650165430117

Day 13 >_>

It was a poor attempt of drawing the comedy duo Downtown, and while Matsumoto is recognizable, Hamada definitely isn't lol.

Sorry if I may sound offensive, but I see such things as a lame excuse to draw. If you really like to draw you wouldn't need to play any challenges. If you consider yourself an artist you don't really need a reason to draw. You just practice or doodle whenever you can. I know I have to do the same thing myself.

As a hobby though it may do. But I donlt see much sense in that myself.

Edited by PsychoΔelica

1 minute ago, PsychoΔelica said:

Sorry if I may sound offensive, but I see such things as a lame excuse to draw. If you really like to draw you wouldn't need to play any challenges. If you consider yourself an artist you don't really need a reason to draw. You just practice or doodle whenever you can. I know I have to do the same thing myself.

Hmm, I get your point, but why is that a bad thing? A "lame" excuse can also be turned into a reason for drawing daily and it becomes motivation. I can't see how that can be bad in any way. :) You're right that drawing doesn't require monthly challenges or even requests from others, it's something to do constantly and because you want to. Because you like to draw, because you need to draw, because you know how practicing is important if you want to improve. All that.

Monthly challenges such as Inktober are not "nothing" though, they are a way to share the same experiences with a large group of people, during the same period of time, some who may not find their motivation so easily. It's a way to challenge yourself. And while I'd like to believe that loving to draw is enough motivation, life sometimes gets in the way and it can make you stop doing things you once though as important as breathing. I can tell, I've been there. Extra motivation is never a bad thing. It encourages them not to only draw and ink it, but also to share their experiences online - and that changes things a lot imo. In this case, aside from being a way to motivate people to draw, it directs them to something else than pencil sketches or digital art, the latter being something a lot of people are focusing on right now. Inktober is all about the ink itself, so digital art wouldn't work here. Of course people can continue practicing doodles, digital art or not, or whatever else they wish, nothing changes there. It's not a matter of needing the challenge or not, but being part of a global event that involves doing something you love. And that's fun.

It's my first time participating in Inktober, but it's not my first time watching people do it, and I only saw good things come from their experience. It's a win-win situation really. That said, each person participates in it for different reasons, but whatever the reasons are, the important thing is to have fun (always).

I agree with everything @Hakoniwa said.

Even if you consider yourself an artist and love drawing, there are always times when your juices run dry and you don't draw for days, weeks, or months. The way I mostly see it though, these kinds of challenges give way to trying new things and going out of one's comfort zone, which is always a good thing. It isn't just an excuse to draw. It's a way of exploring further with what you can do with your skills. And it can be all very fun in the process!

I know that I need deadlines to push the best out of me. I get stuff done otherwise too, but having less time to finish things does wonders for my work. No matter how "artificial" those deadlines might be. I guess part of the reason is that I have to commit more time to painting in a shorter timespan, so I reach a certain flow state easier. When it comes to challenges like inktober, you know it's only one month, so that may make it easier to push yourself to work every single day, where as normally many might take days off.

Then there is also the community aspect to inktober too, which I love.

Having said that, I didn't take part in Inktober, I knew from the start of the month I was gonna be too busy for this : / Respect to you guys for going through it! plastic_rainbow. I've been following your stuff on tumblr and you've got some amazing pieces done! ^^ Hakoniwa, I like your stuff too. That portrait with the sunglasses is my favourite. Mario's expression is pretty sinister too :o

Edited by orange~

Since I'm late, I've been doing at least 3 whenever I find the time... so I did 3 more last night. I didn't get to do all days, but that's okay, it sure was fun! : 3

14564854_643249489191069_552706437092999

Yaaaay, Moon Jumper!! This was inspired by Uchuu Kyoudai manga <3

14659287_237171360034299_694649429997020

14719758_1772642806336797_26529229370608

Buster-kun from the pillows!

This guy:

On 01/11/2016 at 4:42 PM, plastic_rainbow said:

Do you have white ink that you use? And aww, buster-kun~ <3

Yep! I used acrylic for the stars and silver colored india ink for the "Inktober" and signature/date.

I decided not to go on once October was over, but I'll keep doing it outside of Inktober though! Many sketches couldn't be inked and I want to ink them, but I'm happy with what I got this time :)

My last two ones were these:

14719224_1766645193586970_77014298155087

14718045_178177162641303_566414119852939

So... that. I still plan on coloring Link though :'D

Sign in to follow this