1. 1. Girugamesh vs. D'espairsRay

• Girugamesh
    • D'espairsRay

ギルガメッシュ

Giru_zpsgmg2xu8t.jpg

Vs.

D'espairsRay

despa_zpsm8cucido.jpg

The similarities are there. Both bands lasted about the same amount of time Despa lasted 12 years and Giru lasted around 13, both bands experienced drastic changes in sound towards the later end of their careers, and finally both bands line-ups remained consistent with the exception of girugamesh's early vocalist change. Now the question is who is better.

I started listening to both about 10 years ago. D'espa disbanded while I was still in highschool, however I still saw each of their albums as valuable to my experience in VK which I can sadly no longer say about Girugamesh. Both have been among my top 5 in the past, though it's always sadder to lose a friend when you were close as opposed to one whom you've grown apart from.

D'espairsRay.

while giru sucks after going soft and now basic jcore garbage, there old shit is more than enough and cant stand despa's vocalist

Edited by blackdoll

tbh both ended up releasing bottom of garbage dumpster juice in CD form on the reg. after going major, and both were incredible during their indie days

voted d'espa because quarter void >>>>>>>> and also giru squeezed out more shit albums.

Voted D'espairsRay because [coll:set], MIRROR, and antique (the b-side collection thing) are so much more godlike than anything giru released it's not even a contest.

(in my opinion, of course)

also i'm still not over the disbandment due to Hizumi's voice/throat issues. 

Edited by peffy

I voted giru because I think all of their early works are amazing and I believe that "13s Reborn" is better than anything D'espairsRay produced. Also I think that giru had a period of mediocrity but everything after  "Incomplete" was good. Monster was an improvement, Gravitation was really good, Live Best was a very clever way to do a greatest hits album and you must admire that they released all new versions of all of  the songs on the album, Chimera was great, and Period was really great as well. The last 5 releases of girugamesh were just as good as their early works imo. Because of all of this I put giru far above despa, but as I said this is just my opinion.

Edited by sume7

This one kind of goes to D'espa by default for me. They were one of the first VK bands I got into and one of my favorites for years, although my interest in them began to progressively wane from 2007 onwards. On the other hand, Girugamesh is a band that I just completely missed the train on. I didn't properly give them a listen until a few years ago, and even then, I've only listened to their material from 2012 and on, so I can't really judge to any great extent. 

I think Girugamesh were great up until 13's Reborn and D'espairsRay up until Mirrors, but even though D'espairsRay has got more good releases than Girugamesh I'll go with the latter because 13's Reborn is miles ahead of anything D'despairs'Ray ever did, and a proper masterpiece. Such a fantastic album!

girugamesh through and through.

While I used to like D'espa a lot and I loved [Coll:set], they completely lost my respect after I watched a DVD of theirs. I know it may sound like a stupid reason, but I find it a little difficult to listen to their music after that... The way they interacted with the audience and among themselves really put me off. But yeah, especially with the audience, I guess. I still like some songs and all, but I've stopped listening to them since a long time ago.

On the other side, I've started liking girugamesh since their 13's reborn release and then their awesome mini-albums like (and especially) Reason of Crying. I somehow feel like girugamesh's members really love music. I also can't help but love Satoshi's voice, his still being one of my favorite male voices in japanese rock overall. I know they haven't kept their quality lately, but that goes for both bands, I guess. I really like them until MUSIC era and, to me, they seemed to be losing "fuel" after that... So I wasn't surprised when they announced their disbandment, it felt like a natural development. I was relieved, even, but also sad. Still, they were one of my favorite bands, so... :<

edit: ok and I agree with absolutely everything @sume7said lol

Edited by Hakoniwa

I never responded to this, or at least voted!?

Even though I enjoy girugamesh from time to time, I don't think I could ever not look at D'espairsRay as something else entirely. They instantly get my vote. 

D'espairs Ray. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, as it's only visual-kei band that I saw live multiple times but... Well, they were important to me, when they lasted, and while I didn't like their later stuff as much as the earlier, I still found it enjoyable.

Giru was always a hit and miss for me. Some of their CDs were absolutely great, or had one good song, and have everything else forgettable for me.

I voted Girugamesh. While I do understand the similarities I believe both bands wanted different things and went different directions. They're comparable in their earlier stages, but later in their musical careers not so much in my opinion. Girugamesh went through some weird phases but I think it's not because they got bad... they were just trying to figure out their next step (which I believe was to ditch vk in the long run). But I think once that happened it caused their music style to become inconsistent... but I still preferred it over despa... I personally could never find a song I really liked by them :<

D'espairsRay for me, they are and have always been my favourite band - [Coll:Set] and MIRROR are masterpieces for me that I can still listen to after all these years without feeling bored. Add to that Hizumi is my favourite vocalist of all time and brings exactly all the characteristics I love about a voice, it's an easy choice despite girugamesh being a very close second, I loved everything up to MUSIC and do enjoy Monster too.

I love both bands but D'espairsRay gets my vote on this one. Girugamesh was mixed for me since their MUSIC album but D'espairsRay had a fairly consistent track record in terms of sound. Plus, I think D'espairsRay had a more superior skilled drummer.

Also, DEATH POINT still stands as my favorite PV of all times. :)

Edited by Flame-X

I'm really split on this. D'espairsRay holds a special place in my heart because they were one of the first VK bands I followed other than Dir en grey. But when they went pop, that love died hard. Similarly, Girugamesh did the same thing and everything from MUSIC until gravitation killed me. But I feel like they redeemed themselves in their last few releases. Damn, I don't know.

Sign in to follow this