Sign in to follow this  
beni

Tokyo Comic-Con places ban on males cosplaying as female characters

"Tokyo Comic-Con has raised eyebrows in the fan community for specifically banning male crossplay. The rule is listed on the event's official cosplay guidelines as a bullet point beneath restrictions like no real military costumes, excessive skin exposure, and transparent costumes.

This particular ban, targeting only men dressing as female characters but not vice-versa, is actually surprisingly common at cosplay events in Japan. According to Naoko Tachibana, a photographer who built her career providing services for LGBT minorities, events place this specific ban out of fear of "not passing" costumers. Event staff are wary of attracting a large number of stereotypically unattractive men dressed as women. Crossplay used to be banned entirely from an event in Osaka that took place in a government-owned building, but residents were able to convince the government to lift the ban."

Source

lol.. so it's okay if the trap is good enough to fool the event staff? but they don't want a bunch of ugly men running around cross dressing and freaking the normies out, so they just ban it altogether? xD

this is actually quite funny and ironic... this is Japan were talking about, they pretty much put the trap character archetype on the map, to the point where there is hardly a season that goes by without a series or two with the character type.

I'd just like to add that they rescinded this ban a mere twelve hours later with the concept of gender badges.

The fear which prompted this move was cause for concern about male perverts cross dressing to sneak into female changing rooms. They didn't have concerns about female perverts sneaking into male changing rooms, which is why this was a one-way ban. Apparently, voyeurism is a huge problem in Japan and cons have historically been their time to strike. "Gender badges" are way of identifying a cosplayer as male or female so they can monitor what bathrooms you use.

Did you know Japanese smartphones are built to create a fake camera sound every time you take a picture? This is to deter pervs taking surreptitious pictures of women in public places without their consent. There is no way to turn the sound off. What's more interesting is if you take an unlocked American phone and put a Japanese SIM in it, it will force the sound on! This info was purely for context.

Wtf, that's so stupid...........reminds me of these transphobic laws, such as the bathroom laws, & another one that one state (maybe mine) thought of, the "Women's Privacy Act". Bitch pls, we all know what it is, you ain't fooling nobody :roll:

Despite the pervert thing tho, I fucking hate how there's such a large stigma against mtf crossdressers and transgender people.

Edited by midi:nette

wtf i love japan now

i mean the whole perverted degenerate thing was a known fact already, so it's good they're taking action against it tbh

Edited by Tokage

Sign in to follow this