So I recently took the plunge into the world of gunpla...  which was something I've been wanting to do for years, and now that I have the income to support the hobby I'm finally getting into building.

I figured I'll make a gunpla thread and see who else has taken to the hobby and maybe drum up some interest among people who may not know about gunpla.

I just finished my first build myself and I'm really pleased with it.  I chose a HG Shining Gundam 1/144 model as my first kit, one of my favorite gundam frames.

ban970960_0.jpg

here's some finished pictures that i snapped with my phone :)

Spoiler

ybYLAFa.jpg        YShqSMl.jpg        gqkJugW.jpg          uQqWYFA.jpg

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, there for a while I didn't know if it was gonna pan out. I probably put around 25 hours into the kit. Approximately 7-9 hours putting it together which includes sanding and other prep. I panel lined as much as I could which is what took the longest at around 12 hours trying to get it just right. And then 3-4 hours prepping the model and spraying for a matte top coat finish. Next time I can see it not taking nearly as long since I'm now more used to these techniques.

anyone else on the forum build gunpla or has an interest in gunpla in general? Let me/us know. I plan on looking into how to build a lightbox for pictures soon, I will of course need a better camera than my phone first though xD

I already have my next kit planned out... It will be HG 1/144 Gundam Wing Fenice from GBF, I plan on getting started on it sometime next month after a I take a break for a few weeks.

Edited by Original Saku

Here's a sneak peak at my current project

cGoMZFG.jpg

HGBF 1/144 Wing Gundam Fenice straight build WIP

Just a snap build with a little light sanding on the nub marks. Next I have to panel line it and then topcoat.

More pics soon.

Edited by Original Saku

7 hours ago, SEKHMET said:

You need to do a Zaku some time, man :D

Great collection!

Yeah I've already been thinking about doing some zeon mobile suits. I know for sure that I'm gonna build that new gyan HGUC that came out this year

Not gunpla but it's mechs! :P 

Both of these are Revoltech figures. One is from Macross Plus which is the YF-19, the other is Dangaioh with the same title name. Note that I was actually playing around with the lighting positions.

bBFZfn0.jpg

mIT0bKm.jpg

nOkNscT.jpg

fidOosb.jpg

update on my HGBF Wing Gundam Fenice

Imgur Gallery Here!

pretty much just waiting on my custom water slide decals to get here in the post and then a final matte topcoat and I'll be done with this one

as a bonus here's what I've been building in my downtime while waiting on supplies for the fenice.

Spoiler

UoCUDMP.jpg

just a fun little snap build I did in about a hour and a half. might or might not custom paint this one eventually, there's a lot of stickers that I would like to replace with paint instead.

IY9HxG3.jpg

This is technically my next big build, but I got bored waiting on my decals for the Fenice, so I went ahead and started the initial build. This will be my first fully custom painted kit... i hope XD

Edited by Original Saku

The HG Fenice was one of my favorite builds when it came out. I'm a sucker for asymmetrical designs. Unfortunately, I've moved back on campus, so I had to leave my HUGE back catalogue at home, but I brought my MG RX-78-2 3.0 with me as well as the HG Barbatos 6th form. It's the only HG Barb I haven't built yet. I haven't started building them yet because my best friend bought me a pair of these beauties so I'm waiting for them to show up (or rather for the mail room at my campus to open since they're closed on weekends) and then I'll crack into the 3.0.

I'm glad there's a thread for Gunpla, here!

51 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

The HG Fenice was one of my favorite builds when it came out. I'm a sucker for asymmetrical designs. Unfortunately, I've moved back on campus, so I had to leave my HUGE back catalogue at home, but I brought my MG RX-78-2 3.0 with me as well as the HG Barbatos 6th form. It's the only HG Barb I haven't built yet. I haven't started building them yet because my best friend bought me a pair of these beauties so I'm waiting for them to show up (or rather for the mail room at my campus to open since they're closed on weekends) and then I'll crack into the 3.0.

I'm glad there's a thread for Gunpla, here!

I have a pair of the GP nippers and I can already tell you it's a great set of clippers, the cuts are so smooth and leave almost no stress marks when done right. people were not kidding when they called these nippers "the poor man's godhands". That's an awesome friend you have there :) I also have a 6th form Barbatos to build, maybe after the reginlaze I'll start on it. I'm looking forward to seeing that 3.0 when you finally get started on it!

Yeah it's nice to have a small little place within this community for our little hobby, I mean I could always post on the subreddit (which I do), but then I wouldn't be able to spread the gunpla love here on MH. I'm all into getting people interested in the hobby.

I've been using the alpha tamiya side-cutters since starting the hobby a little over two years ago and have gone through three of them already as they get dull quite quickly. When I was in Japan, I couldn't find any Godhands, so the GP nippers will have to suffice for now!

here's my OOB build of Julieta's Mobile Reginlaze. I'm really liking how this kit looks plus the accessories are pretty cool, Can't wait to get it on a action base :D This is the kit I actually am planning on custom painting with a custom color color scheme and everything, it will be my first time fully painting a kit. Stay tuned for that in the near future.

Oz6lt2N.jpg

Full Gallery is HERE

Edited by Original Saku

18 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

^ Barbatos coming along nicely! If we're speaking strictly anime, that's one of my favorite Gundam designs of late! Vidar is also pretty sick.

Are there any kits you're eying atm @Original Saku?

Actually yeah I have the new MG GM Sniper II that just came out coming in the mail as soon as my site gets their preorders in.

Spoiler

103718ev1y11guyozb1d1k.jpg201612212215111e1.jpg

Also I'm eyeing the MG Providence gundam that's due out in march

Spoiler

02Ph001.jpg20170119185113096.jpg

5 hours ago, patientZERO said:

The Barb is my favorite main MS! The 1/100 Lupus was a fun build, even though the joints were a bit weak and the side-skirts don't want to stay on.

superglue and/or Tamiya plastic cement is your friend!

@CAT5actually there's another kit that was just announced that I'm really considering picking up...

Spoiler

1000112047_2.jpg1000112047_3.jpg

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2017/02/p-bandai-hguc-1144-jegan-ecoas-conroy_2.html

It's the HGUC 1/144 Jegan [ECOAS] Conroy Use. Basically  it's a Jagan P-Bandai kit based off of Conroy's Jagan from the Unicorn OVA.

4 hours ago, patientZERO said:

Supergluing or cementing side-skirts would hinder its pose-ability. So I'm just careful. 

Oh yes of course, but what you can do is if they are loose fitting, just take a little cement or glue and put it on the connector piece(s)  and then let it dry on, then snap the side skirts back on and voila the connection should in practice be a lot more snug and secure. Paint will also have this same effect in some cases, especially on loose joints. DO NOT use this method of cement/glue on your joints tho, it will not work the same and will probably either wreck your joints or make them look like crud. the only thing you can do for overly loose joints is paint them , and even then it's not guaranteed that it will make a difference.

Which joints on the lupus are giving you trouble? I ask out of curiosity since I'm still building mine right now :D

Edited by Original Saku

42 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Oh yes of course, but what you can do is if they are loose fitting, just take a little cement or glue and put it on the connector piece(s)  and then let it dry on, then snap the side skirts back on and voila the connection should in practice be a lot more snug and secure. Paint will also have this same effect in some cases, especially on loose joints. DO NOT use this method of cement/glue on your joints tho, it will not work the same and will probably either wreck your joints or make them look like crud. the only thing you can do for overly loose joints is paint them , and even then it's not guaranteed that it will make a difference.

Which joints on the lupus are giving you trouble? I ask out of curiosity since I'm still building mine right now :D

Thanks for the tips! I'm just a straight snap-tight builder right now since I don't live in a place where I can paint, but I should try the plastic cement thing. The only weird thing is that the side-skirts are on pegs, not clipped in like they usually are on other kits.

The arms are a bit loose, particularly in the shoulder bit since the shoulders have those mobile red pad things. I kept trying to pose it and was pulling the arms out of the shoulder joints, especially when trying to move those red bits.

Here's the straight build of the 1/100 Full Mechanics Barbatos Lupus, the only thing that's been modified is the v-fin where I cut off the safety nubs and sharpened the points a little. Other than that really simple modification and a little sanding for clean nub removal, it is totally untouched.

N0v024M.jpg

I thought about going ahead and panel lining this beast, since it has hella panel lines... but I do plan to fully paint this kit in the near future (the next few months), so I will keep it as is for now to save me the trouble.

next kit is going to be the HGUC 1/144 Gyan Revive, I'm so excited to do some Zeon mobile suits :D

Edited by Original Saku