These guys need a thread on here!

Screen-Shot-2016-05-09-at-19.47.17.png

Dance Gavin Dance is a post-hardcore band based in Sacramento, California, and formed in 2005.

Dance Gavin Dance's music has been described as a blend between emo, post-hardcore, jazz fusion, progressive rock and screamo.

The band has been through 3 vocalists (on/off) and numerous band member changes (on/off as well), and it's been a hectic ride for them the last decade or so.

DGD's music has remained simply fantastic, being one of Rise Records best bands to ever grace their presence.

Current Line-Up

Vocals: Tilian Pearson

Unclean Vocals: Jon Mess

(He also raps in some tracks too)

Lead Guitar: Will Swan

Bass Guitar: Tim Feerick

Drums: Matt Mingus

Albums

Downtown Battle Mountain (2007)

Dance Gavin Dance (2008)

Happiness (2009)

Downtown Battle Mountain II (2011)

Acceptance Speech (2013)

Instant Gratification (2015)

Mothership (2016)

EP's

Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean (2006)

Live albums

Live at Bamboozle 2010 (2010)

Tree City Sessions (2016)

The internet is always in an uproar about who the best vocalist was/is.

I'll let you decide for yourself.

Jonny Craig (2005-2007)

Kurt Travis (2007-2010)

Jonny Craig Returned (2010-2012)

Tilian Pearson (2012-Present)

Edited by YuyoDrift

Currently, they are beginning their tour 9/22, promoting their new album.

Along with them are supporting acts The Contortionist, Hail the Sun, Good Tiger, and The White Noise.

MOTHERSHIP TOUR '16

Dates are as follows:

9/22 – El Rey Theatre – Los Angeles, CA
9/23 – Social Hall SF – San Francisco, CA
9/24 – Hawthorne Theatre – Portland, OR
9/25 – Neumos – Seattle, WA
9/27 – The Summit Music Hall – Denver, CO
9/28 – Granada Theatre – Lawrence, KS
9/29 – Amsterdam – St. Paul, MN
9/30 – Portage Theater – Chicago, IL * I WILL BE THERE*
10/1 – Emerson Theatre – Indianapolis, IN
10/2 – Crofoot Ballroom – Pontiac, MI
10/3 – Mr. Smalls Theatre – Millvale, PA
10/4 – Lee’s Palace – Toronto, ON
10/5 – Les Foufounes Électriques – Montreal, QC
10/6 – The Waiting Room – Buffalo, NY
10/7 – The Middle East – Cambridge, MA
10/8 – Union Transfer – Philadelphia, PA
10/9 – Webster Hall – New York, NY
10/11 – Baltimore Soundstage – Baltimore, MD
10/12 – The NorVa – Norfolk, VA
10/13 – Cat’s Cradle – Carrboro, NC
10/14 – The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA
10/15 – The Orpheum – Tampa, FL
10/16 – Culture Room – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
10/17 – The Social – Orlando, FL

Ayyeeee. Nice to see a thread about these guys. I'm a big fan of the Jonny and Tillian eras. I still need to check out their songs from the upcoming album still but I'm pretty sure they'll be rad. They're playing my area after the release date so maybe I can pick it up at the show. ^^

18 hours ago, doombox said:

Ayyeeee. Nice to see a thread about these guys. I'm a big fan of the Jonny and Tillian eras. I still need to check out their songs from the upcoming album still but I'm pretty sure they'll be rad. They're playing my area after the release date so maybe I can pick it up at the show. ^^

Honestly I'm a sucker for the Kurt era. Happiness and their self-titled abum are one of my all time faves.

Did you go to their 10th year anniversary tour?

Edited by YuyoDrift

So glad this thread has been made! I'm a huge fan of japanese rock but DGD are also one of my favorite bands. Been listening to Tilian since Tides of Man and DGD since Downtown Battle Mountain II. I'm going to the NY Webster Hall show which'll be the 4th time I'm seeing them. Last time was thanksgiving weekend last year during their 10 year tour

9 minutes ago, matthazell said:

So glad this thread has been made! I'm a huge fan of japanese rock but DGD are also one of my favorite bands. Been listening to Tilian since Tides of Man and DGD since Downtown Battle Mountain II. I'm going to the NY Webster Hall show which'll be the 4th time I'm seeing them. Last time was thanksgiving weekend last year during their 10 year tour

I have listened to all their albums, and seeing all the past members come back together onstage was just as good as seeing the GazettE live for the first time lol.

So happy I finally got to hear my favorite songs live.

I'm also happy my thread was your first post man! cheers.

Edited by YuyoDrift

3 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

I have listened to all their albums, and seeing all the past members come back together onstage was just as good as seeing the GazettE live for the first time lol.

So happy I finally got to hear my favorite songs live.

I'm also happy my thread was your first post man! cheers.

I've been lurking on this site almost daily for years, but I thought it'd be about time to finally comment when I saw DGD while scrolling haha. I've always thought in my head "there's gotta be at least someone on this site who listens to them" lol. Yeah, seeing the GazettE in NY was pretty unreal, since I've been listening to them since 7th grade, and I'm now a college sophomore. 

4 minutes ago, matthazell said:

I've been lurking on this site almost daily for years, but I thought it'd be about time to finally comment when I saw DGD while scrolling haha. I've always thought in my head "there's gotta be at least someone on this site who listens to them" lol. Yeah, seeing the GazettE in NY was pretty unreal, since I've been listening to them since 7th grade, and I'm now a college sophomore. 

Happy to have you onboard!

Welcome the the site!

8 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Honestly I'm a sucker for the Kurt era. Happiness and their self-titled abum are one of my all time faves.

Did you go to their 10th year anniversary tour?

I wanted to go so badly, but unfortunately couldn't make it. From your other post it sounds like it was epic? I've actually never seen them live. ^^; But I'm hoping to change that this time around. 

And seconding the welcome to @matthazell! Glad to see you posting! Feel free to start threads for other bands you like, I'm sure there are more of us around who share you interest. ^^

4 hours ago, doombox said:

I wanted to go so badly, but unfortunately couldn't make it. From your other post it sounds like it was epic? I've actually never seen them live. ^^; But I'm hoping to change that this time around. 

And seconding the welcome to @matthazell! Glad to see you posting! Feel free to start threads for other bands you like, I'm sure there are more of us around who share you interest. ^^

ayyy, thanks for the warm welcome too haha! I'll definitely post when I have the time, I listen to a lot of different bands so I'll contribute when I can. I haven't stopped looping "Betrayed by the game" btw. God that song is catchy.

Dude that concert was:

bad. ass.

It was actually my first time seeing all those supporting bands, and holy crap they were really good!

I was most impressed with Hail the Sun, and their vocalist Don.

Dude played the drums and sang! lol holy shit man I may have been drunk, but i was taken aback.

As always DGD sounds way better live, and Tilian was more impressive with his vocals this time, improving the songs he covered in Tree City Sessions.

He really let loose.

I always have a good time at their concerts, and will definitely go again if they come back to Chicago soon.

Have to say, the NY show was pretty fucking amazing. But I wish they played more songs off Mothership though....I really wanted to hear Deception of Chocolate Jackalope haha. What's your favorite off the new album?

My life sux @matthazell lol,  but I managed to listen to it a few times on the way to work.

I liked the guitar work in Frozen.

Betrayed by the Game is too golden haha.

Petting Zoo Justice has that raw energy that makes you wanna yell too haha.

No favorite, yet.

10 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

My life sux @matthazell lol,  but I managed to listen to it a few times on the way to work.

I liked the guitar work in Frozen.

Betrayed by the Game is too golden haha.

Petting Zoo Justice has that raw energy that makes you wanna yell too haha.

No favorite, yet.

yeah the guitar work in frozen is awesome. 

Love love love tilian's vocal work in deception, here comes the winner (those high notes man..), and chocolate jackalope. I also really love exposed too, that song's nice. I basically love this album

Ok yeah @matthazell, here comes the winner is pretty good lol

This album reminded me of Happiness 2.0

Ironically, Happiness is going for $80+ right now, so it's pretty hard to get your hands on.

Unfortunately, I can't separate the personalities of the band members with the music. I was a fan in their early days, when they had only released Royal Ocean and saw them live at a floor show with Alesana. To keep this story short, I was friends with Shawn (guitarist for Alesana) and he told me and my friend to make sure nobody bumped the mic into his teeth (he sings and plays guitar and the floor show was rowdy). So the whole set was fine, they came out for an encore, some douche jumped on my friend's back and started grabbing for Shawn's mic and my friend pushed him off. I didn't see what went down afterwards as I had fallen over, but Shawn whips of his guitar and swings it at someone and grabs the mic off the floor and yells "No one fucks with my friends. Show's over!" I get up, ask Shawn where Tom (my friend) went and he said he got clocked in the face and he's "backstage" (it was just the door behind the venue since it was a VHF hall). I go back there to see Tom's face annihilated and the dudes from DGD laughing at him, pointing and telling him he got knocked the fuck out for being a pussy. Jonny was seriously pointing at him and just laughing. Cool dudes. Fortunately, Will Swan came over and told Tom that it was messed up what happened, but still.

Flash forward some time and DGD is playing at a big festival for hardcore/punk music in Asbury Park NJ. There's tons of bands playing and the stage is set up so half of it can get torn down while a band plays on the other half. DGD takes the stage and starts to play, all minus Jonny. They get through an entire song and start another as Jonny finally stumbles on stage and none of the band members pay him any attention. They play an extremely truncated set as Jonny is CLEARLY on some shit. Finally they leave the stage as the audience all questions what the hell just happened. This was the catalyst for the flood of information behind his douchebagerry. The band left him in NJ, rightfully so, and went on their way (which is when the dudes from Emarosa decided to help him out).

So yeah, these are the reasons I can't stand the band anymore. Any time I hear their name or their music, I just think about what unkind people they were (except for Will). I wish I could separate the personal interactions I've had with the band with their music, but unfortunately, I just cannot.

HOWEVER, Will Swan runs his own label with some supreme talent on it called Blue Swan Records, so if you like DGD, definitely check out Adventurer, Stolas, and Secret Band (whom Will is personally in, as well as Jon and Matt).

Edited by patientZERO

On 2/26/2017 at 2:50 PM, matthazell said:

Since they're back on tour, is anyone seeing any of the dates?

CRAAAAP lol

This is what happens when you make priorities. You miss the good concerts haha.

They were in bloomington IL last night, damn.

Man these guys go everywhere!

Dance Gavin Dance and CHON will be touring together beginning in February.

Dates for their tour include:

02/24 Albuquerque, NM – El Rey Theatre
02/25 Colorado Springs, CO – The Black Sheep
02/27 Columbia, MO – The Blue Note
02/28 Bloomington, IL – The Castle Theatre

03/01 Louisville, KY – Mercury Ballroom
03/02 Columbus, OH – Park Street Saloon
03/03 Rochester, NY – Anthology
03/04 Sayreville, NJ – Starland Ballroom
03/05 Lancaster, PA – Chameleon Club
03/07 Richmond, VA – The National
03/08 Charlotte, NC – Neighborhood Theater
03/09 Birmingham, AL – Zydeco
03/10 Memphis, TN – New Daisy Theatre
03/11 New Orleans, LA – House Of Blues
03/13 San Antonio, TX – Alamo City Music Hall
03/15 El Paso, TX – Tricky Falls
03/16 Tucson, AZ – The Rock
03/17 Santa Ana, CA – The Observatory
03/18 San Diego, CA – The Observatory North Park
03/19 Sacramento, CA – Ace Of Spades

On 2/26/2017 at 3:29 PM, patientZERO said:

So yeah, these are the reasons I can't stand the band anymore. Any time I hear their name or their music, I just think about what unkind people they were (except for Will). I wish I could separate the personal interactions I've had with the band with their music, but unfortunately, I just cannot.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Not sure who the band consisted of at the time (perhaps the original lineup), but many people wont argue that they were kinda pricks back in the day.

Sounds like you were one of those that were on the receiving end of it.

I can tell you firsthand that these are different guys now, not just in the sound of their music, but how they handle themselves and their influence to the scene.

Hopefully one day you can learn to not associate them with your experiences on tour, and base their worth by what they should be judged by.

Their music.

On 2/26/2017 at 4:29 PM, patientZERO said:

Unfortunately, I can't separate the personalities of the band members with the music. I was a fan in their early days, when they had only released Royal Ocean and saw them live at a floor show with Alesana. To keep this story short, I was friends with Shawn (guitarist for Alesana) and he told me and my friend to make sure nobody bumped the mic into his teeth (he sings and plays guitar and the floor show was rowdy). So the whole set was fine, they came out for an encore, some douche jumped on my friend's back and started grabbing for Shawn's mic and my friend pushed him off. I didn't see what went down afterwards as I had fallen over, but Shawn whips of his guitar and swings it at someone and grabs the mic off the floor and yells "No one fucks with my friends. Show's over!" I get up, ask Shawn where Tom (my friend) went and he said he got clocked in the face and he's "backstage" (it was just the door behind the venue since it was a VHF hall). I go back there to see Tom's face annihilated and the dudes from DGD laughing at him, pointing and telling him he got knocked the fuck out for being a pussy. Jonny was seriously pointing at him and just laughing. Cool dudes. Fortunately, Will Swan came over and told Tom that it was messed up what happened, but still.

Flash forward some time and DGD is playing at a big festival for hardcore/punk music in Asbury Park NJ. There's tons of bands playing and the stage is set up so half of it can get torn down while a band plays on the other half. DGD takes the stage and starts to play, all minus Jonny. They get through an entire song and start another as Jonny finally stumbles on stage and none of the band members pay him any attention. They play an extremely truncated set as Jonny is CLEARLY on some shit. Finally they leave the stage as the audience all questions what the hell just happened. This was the catalyst for the flood of information behind his douchebagerry. The band left him in NJ, rightfully so, and went on their way (which is when the dudes from Emarosa decided to help him out).

HOWEVER, Will Swan runs his own label with some supreme talent on it called Blue Swan Records, so if you like DGD, definitely check out Adventurer, Stolas, and Secret Band (whom Will is personally in, as well as Jon and Matt).

Yeah a lot of shit was questionable but now with Tilian I feel like the band has become a lot more polished, and well......mature.

1 hour ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Quite weak and simple (by DGD standards) compared to their previous singles, but still, a fun song. Can't wait for the full album.

My thoughts exactly. It's probably for the best.

As much as I love their composition style (I always have), trying to expand the range for creativity will allow them to grow for sure. It could also bring in a new demographic of fans (hopefully the current ones wont be scared off lol).

So what are everyone's favorites so far on Artificial Selection?

Admittedly, it's been quite a while since I really sat down to listen to them (Instant Gratification was the last album I listened to.) I just happened to get notified on Spotify since I follow them, so I'll have to add Mothership to my workout music cycle. 

Son of Robot, Care, The Rattler, Hair Song, and Bloodsucker are pretty good.

Tilian's voice feels more murmured/breathy compared to previous releases (or maybe his voice comes off more sibilant due to the mixing). 

I felt it was a good mixture of abrasive and soft/melodic. I'll need some more time w/ the album, but it's pretty status quo for what they've released so far (?).

For those who've been more involved w/ them as of recent, what are your thoughts?

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Listening to it right now, actually. For me, Acceptance Speech was already damn good.

Why the sudden remaster? Edit: Looked into it, and wow I had no idea that people considered the old version to be flat w/vocals being too high lol. This Remaster definitely sounds more DGD sounding, but I never had a problem with the original 😅 ehhh.

Also, I haven't been following them for a while but is Tilian's voice still getting worse? Fans were concerned about his vocals because DGD toured and then released 2 albums last year, definitely putting a strain on his vocals.