suji

Rights for band Kuroyume up for bidding!

44 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Yukika could snatch this up and make a kuroyume rip-off band without any legal ramifications!!

LOVE this idea

Haven't read the article yet but damn, 200,000 jpy??

That's less than 2 rents for a normal apartment in Tokyo, what trouble is he for him to need that money lol.

1 hour ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Yukika could snatch this up and make a kuroyume rip-off band without any legal ramifications!!

THis is great btw.  we need some real kuroyume homage

Edited by Uglymouth

So it seems like the copyrights are being auctioned by the government, rather than by the band/label. In that case, none of the profits will go to the band or toward their debts, if such debts exist. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

This at least explains why the minimum price is a paltry $500―I imagine the band could make that kind of money just by selling cheki for a week.

I wonder if KIYOHARU even knows about this?

---

Edit: I also notice that the posting is by the Tokyo Regional Tax Bureau. Does that mean the rights only apply to Tokyo? Maybe someone can shed some light on how Japan's copyright laws work in that regard.

Edited by inartistic

45 minutes ago, inartistic said:

So it seems like the copyrights are being auctioned by the government, rather than by the band/label. In that case, none of the profits will go to the band or toward their debts, if such debts exist. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

This at least explains why the minimum price is a paltry $500―I imagine the band could make that kind of money just by selling cheki for a week.

I wonder if KIYOHARU even knows about this?

---

Edit: I also notice that the posting is by the Tokyo Regional Tax Bureau. Does that mean the rights only apply to Tokyo? Maybe someone can shed some light on how Japan's copyright laws work in that regard.

Generally, there are 3 types of auction of this kind:

Something valuable (physical or intelectual, which is the case), is given as guarantee of a loan, leasing or financial operation. If the deal is not honored, the loaner (usually bank institutions) seize that something valuable and auction to reduce their losses. I believe this is the American mortgage model, right? - does not seems to be the case;

The owner (let's say Kyoharu) of something valuable has several taxes/loans debts related/attached to this valuable thing. Trying to get rid of this debt, he sells this possession waaaaay below its market value to compensate the debts the new owner will be assuming - also does not seems to be the case, since this kind of auction is generally done by the owner before he is seized;

The government ALREADY seized the something valuable that is chock-full of taxes debts, and its auctioning to get some of this money and because it does not have any use to it. It may or may not come clear of past taxes to be paid, that depends. The value is low because that's how govern departments operates, you can check your local DMV for seized cars being auctioned at 60%, 65% below market cost - This seems to be the case, since its already a financial govern department hosting the auction...

In any way, Kyoharu is probably fucked, and some major label will probably buy those rights and shell out at least one best album for year till eternity, from now on

Edited by chemicalpictures

3 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

The government ALREADY seized the something valuable that is chock-full of taxes debts, and its auctioning to get some of this money and because it does not have any use to it. It may or may not come clear of past taxes to be paid, that depends. The value is low because that's how govern departments operates, you can check your local DMV for seized cars being auctioned at 60%, 65% below market cost - This seems to be the case, since its already a financial govern department hosting the auction...

Yes, that seems like the case! Thanks for putting it so clearly

4 hours ago, inartistic said:

Maybe someone can shed some light on how Japan's copyright laws work in that regard.

japanese copyright law experts? here? ?????

shame it came to this, whatever way you look at it it shows that kiyoharu really doesn't care about that back catalogue

Just some observations on my part regarding kuroyume when they returned in the late 00's. 

They released a heck of alot of A-B-C type releases, most likely because of AVEX's business model, and  I always felt like an artist like kiyoharu wouldn't actively do something like that unless he had to.  I always think of Avex as like dealing with the devil, you get the label support and advertising push (sometimes) but I'm sure artistically you're trading off something.  In kuroyume's case, it led to an excessive release cycle of singles / albums / dvds. that perhaps didn't sell well or rather, in the end, didn't leave kuroyume / kiyoharu with a profit when everything was said and done. Hence SADS and his solo project going on at the same time. I mean, this is the same guy who quit / stopped SADS despite the band having like 10-20 new songs written during the 13 tour just to go solo. 
He pretty much rolled from kuroyume to sads and sads to solo with hardly any break. Instead we were all getting kuroyume / sads music left-and-right like it was Christmas again. Maybe it wasn't so much that he was trying to treat the fans with kuroyume and SADS again but rather some big fat cash advance that caused them to reform.

If I want to be optimistic about all this, if someone buys the rights to all things kuroyume, maybe we'll get some old early 90's concerts on DVDs. I would surely shell out my hard earned cash for those!

4 hours ago, carddass said:

Just some observations on my part regarding kuroyume when they returned in the late 00's. 

They released a heck of alot of A-B-C type releases, most likely because of AVEX's business model, and  I always felt like an artist like kiyoharu wouldn't actively do something like that unless he had to.  I always think of Avex as like dealing with the devil, you get the label support and advertising push (sometimes) but I'm sure artistically you're trading off something.  In kuroyume's case, it led to an excessive release cycle of singles / albums / dvds. that perhaps didn't sell well or rather, in the end, didn't leave kuroyume / kiyoharu with a profit when everything was said and done. Hence SADS and his solo project going on at the same time. I mean, this is the same guy who quit / stopped SADS despite the band having like 10-20 new songs written during the 13 tour just to go solo. 
He pretty much rolled from kuroyume to sads and sads to solo with hardly any break. Instead we were all getting kuroyume / sads music left-and-right like it was Christmas again. Maybe it wasn't so much that he was trying to treat the fans with kuroyume and SADS again but rather some big fat cash advance that caused them to reform.

If I want to be optimistic about all this, if someone buys the rights to all things kuroyume, maybe we'll get some old early 90's concerts on DVDs. I would surely shell out my hard earned cash for those!

Cardy!

Btw, for anyone who is more familiar with the language, is Shin like joking about this in his tweets today or is the translator just wrong? https://twitter.com/SHiN_0322

Edited by Kiyoharu is God

12 hours ago, Kiyoharu is God said:

Cardy!

Btw, for anyone who is more familiar with the language, is Shin like joking about this in his tweets today or is the translator just wrong? https://twitter.com/SHiN_0322

Shin and Kiyoharu were always inbetween lukewarm and quite cold relationships when it comes to songwriting procedures so it's given that such tasty gossipy news would eventually unearth early beef between them (especially the record of Shin's credits being left unmentioned on Feminism - and yes, he was still present around demo sessions of that album). Not even fanbase-forced pictures of Shin being uncomfortably stuck together with Kiyoharu + Hitoki in a couple of "reunion" pics would debunk this astounding reality.

Makes you wonder that why Kiyoharu INTENTIONALLY left Shin out when Kuroyume (reunited) went off for their 1992-1993 revival tour, huh? Normally most bands would bring in former members for a short while but he didn't!

Edited by Alroy

LOL, pathetic.

Nothing good can come out of this. Does this mean that whoever wins the auction gets to boss KIYOHARU around and make KUROYUME do whatever they want ?

9 minutes ago, jon_jonz said:

LOL, pathetic.

Nothing good can come out of this. Does this mean that whoever wins the auction gets to boss KIYOHARU around and make KUROYUME do whatever they want ?

Yes, they're in the business of selling off slaves too. And Kiyoharu is being sold along with the brand.

What are you even asking?

I'm not exactly laughing or crying since I'm not invested in Kiyoharu or Kuroyume enough to have super strong feelings, but I do find the whole thing pretty surprising and interesting. Like I've heard of cars being sold this way, but I had no idea there were so many variations behind the scenes and definitely had no idea that something like the rights to a vkei band could be sold that way, too, so thanks for all the insight into this system. Hate to use the word again, but wow, it's just interesting. 

I don't follow them either but wow this is so weird. Never in a million years would I have thought that a scenario of a government auctioning off the rights to a band could actually be a thing. I'm interested to see who will buy it 0.0

14 hours ago, jon_jonz said:

Artistically, I mean.

Like, whoever wins the auction can make them release whatever kind of music pleases the winner and shit like that?

The only thing that means is that the person now owns the brand "Kuroyume", its iterations and every intelectual property released so far. if Kyoharu and co. would someday do a reunion tour to play the classics, they would need to get its owner permission to act under the name and play said songs; If they ever want to release new shit under the name, they would have to ask permission aswell, and so on. That also means that if the owner wanna get some random musicians and say that's the new Kuroyume and release sugar pop music, it's his call.

I'm listening to the Nakigara wo tape rip that was uploaded here recently, which you should go download if you haven't done so already, and it's healthy to be reminded every now and then how incredible this band was. Fuck d'erlanger, x japan and the whole lot, nobody was playing music like this. Outside of the odd Luna Sea track like Shade, there's no instances of any other band at the time conjuring this kind of darkness and depravity. The sound of this album has been ripped off on a regular basis for over two decades now. Kuroyume invented visual kei and I pay no heed to any other opinion on the matter. They realised the sound that everyone else had only flirted with at the time. 

33 minutes ago, Disposable said:

I'm listening to the Nakigara wo tape rip that was uploaded here recently, which you should go download if you haven't done so already, and it's healthy to be reminded every now and then how incredible this band was. Fuck d'erlanger, x japan and the whole lot, nobody was playing music like this. Outside of the odd Luna Sea track like Shade, there's no instances of any other band at the time conjuring this kind of darkness and depravity. The sound of this album has been ripped off on a regular basis for over two decades now. Kuroyume invented visual kei and I pay no heed to any other opinion on the matter. They realised the sound that everyone else had only flirted with at the time. 

Totally agree. I don't listen to Kuroyume much nowadays but Ikiteita Chuuzetsuji, Nakigara wo... and Mayoeru Yuritachi ~Romance of scarlet~ are amazing releases. It's sad to see how bad Kuroyume turned out after SHIN left. I mean I appreciate the punk-era of Kuroyume as well but I feel it could've just been early SADS/a totally different band.

And they were really dark/hardcore at the beginning of their career. Kiyoharu used to pretend to hang himself on stage which made pretty big news in Japan during the 90's. There's a clip of him pretending to hang himself and it goes wrong so he almost hangs himself for real (the staff of the live venue has to pull him away).

Edited by Uglymouth