suji

Rights for band Kuroyume up for bidding!

Nice find! This sounds like Kiyoharu put the trademark to Kuroyume's backlog up for bidding. As in the rights to owning the band's music are up for sale. This is what I gathered:

• Public auction opened September 9th, bidding time starts September 13th at 1pm, ends October 9th. 
  • estimated value of  "Kuroyume" is 200,000 yen, bidding starts at 50,000 yen.
  • Rights were originally owned by Kiyoharu, who could not be reached for comment.
  • He is selling the rights because of owed taxes and foreclosure (of properties?)
  • The four different "Kuroyume" being sold would be inclusive of all the different ways the band has stylized their names on releases and promotions, which means Kiyoharu is truly selling everything.
  • Rights to "Kuroyume" were seized by the government.

All I can say is HOLY SHIT.

Below is @chemicalpictures explanation on the 3 types of auctions in Japan, to shed more light on how serious this is.

3 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

Generally, there are 3 types of auction of this kind:

Something valuable (physical or intelectual, which is the case), is given as guarantee of a loan, leasing or financial operation. If the deal is not honored, the loaner (usually bank institutions) seize that something valuable and auction to reduce their losses. I believe this is the American mortgage model, right? - does not seems to be the case;

The owner (let's say Kyoharu) of something valuable has several taxes/loans debts related/attached to this valuable thing. Trying to get rid of this debt, he sells this possession waaaaay below its market value to compensate the debts the new owner will be assuming - also does not seems to be the case, since this kind of auction is generally done by the owner before he is seized;

The government ALREADY seized the something valuable that is chock-full of taxes debts, and its auctioning to get some of this money and because it does not have any use to it. It may or may not come clear of past taxes to be paid, that depends. The value is low because that's how govern departments operates, you can check your local DMV for seized cars being auctioned at 60%, 65% below market cost - This seems to be the case, since its already a financial govern department hosting the auction...

In any way, Kyoharu is probably fucked, and some major label will probably buy those rights and shell out at least one best album for year till eternity, from now on

Edited by Zeus
added chemicalpicture's explanation on the 3 types of auctions in japan

40 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Nice find! This sounds like Kiyoharu put the trademark to Kuroyume's backlog up for bidding. As in the rights to owning the band's music are up for sale. This is what I gathered:

• Public auction opened September 9th, bidding time starts September 13th at 1pm, ends October 9th. 
  • Rights were originally owned by Kiyoharu, who could not be reached for comment.
  • He is selling the rights because of owed taxes and foreclosure (of properties?)
  • The four different "Kuroyume" being sold would be inclusive of all the different ways the band has stylized their names on releases and promotions, which means Kiyoharu is truly selling everything.

All I can say is HOLY SHIT

............................what.

(Also yay @ magically starting a new thread ✌)

LOLOLOL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

How much deep shit do you have to be in to be this desperate! Dude, you have like 12 side projects/solo work. 

Deeply disappointed by this... though does that mean MH should try to win the rights?!?!?!?

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

*cries*

Edited by blackdream

4 hours ago, tetsu_sama69 said:

LOLOLOL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

How much deep shit do you have to be in to be this desperate! Dude, you have like 12 side projects/solo work. 

Deeply disappointed by this... though does that mean MH should try to win the rights?!?!?!?

i dont think this is something that you could judge that simple .

we all dont know the details . 

after all, artists are most of the time occupied with artistries, not financial issues (=agency fuck ups, etc)

41 minutes ago, Tokage said:

not for modern kuroyume it isnt :^)

As much as this would sound lulzy though, the reality is that there should be more added up since he had 4 different Kuroyumes to be sold, and at least one or two in the middle (Kuroyume circa late '94-96 and early punk Kuroyume) had tons of revenue gathered up to this day too (i.e. they are really valuable compared to flopping in later stages or so-so figures during early days). But we still gotta wait and see (also calling for @Uglymouth to see if anything was said about early Kuroyume trademarks a la RoS-era being up for bidding too in nihongo)

Speaking of which - ONLY NOW he got himself into huge probs? This man has managed to stay far away from scandals even after low-key admitting drug abuse ventures (which is deemed to be REALLY bad and career-killing, e.g. Laruku's Sakura case, when we speak of Japanese music industry)

Edited by Alroy

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

.....What the..actual fuck is this?? D:

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

not for modern kuroyume it isnt :^)

i am compelled to say that for me it isnt .

i loved, no, i love modern kuroyume as much as i do with the old school's

i wish there was thumbs down button so i could pummel it :) (not meant to quarrel, just sayin')

Edited by platanity

3 hours ago, platanity said:

i dont think this is something that you could judge that simple .

we all dont know the details . 

after all, artists are most of the time occupied with artistries, not financial issues (=agency fuck ups, etc)

Of course we don't know all of the details. I know what artists go through but to make a choice like this shows there must be something pretty bad going on. 

I'm a long time fan and a decision like this seems very sudden and desperate considering the band's overall success and history.

So don't go pointing fingers at certain people in this thread because you feel obligated for some reason to do such a thing. It's okay to defend a band for your own personal reasons but don't go and shit disturb and learn to take a joke.

That's my final say on that and I'm quite interested in seeing who ends up aquiring the rights.

In all seriousness though, although this whole fiasco seems to mostly be concerning Kuroyume for now, I'm wondering if he won't try to do the same with SADS soon too if those financial problems are REALLY that bad... Or is the SADS brand too ''no1curr''?

15 minutes ago, tetsu_sama69 said:

So don't go pointing fingers at certain people in this thread because you feel obligated for some reason to do such a thing. It's okay to defend a band for your own personal reasons but don't go and shit disturb and learn to take a joke.

this was never the case ; 

i dont know how you got there, 

and i think you're the one who got it backwards (shit disturb ...?),

but i am sorry if you felt offended : ) 

anyways, despite of all this,

SADS and kiyoharu is active as we speak (doing shows, instagrams)

i suppose it could be that it is being handled and not as serious as we can imagine ?

Edited by platanity