echo

Youtubers React to Visual Kei

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this already/if it's been posted (did a quick search and didn't see any posts), but check out youtubers reacting to visual kei. I'm pretty sure I had some similar reactions when I was first introduced to it haha

https://www.jrocknews.com/2016/08/watch-famous-youtubers-introduced-visual-kei-first-time.html

From the article:

"My first initial reaction when I saw this was, “Poor guys, they think these are girls.” The amount of times the referred to them as “she” was simply too many. Also, judging by the general reactions, it seems clear that none of them even listen to western metal (except for that one guy that liked all three bands, shout-out to him!), so I think it would have been better to include some metalheads to get some more neutral reactions.

Furthermore, after it was explained that visual kei does not pertain solely to metal, several said they would consider diving into visual kei if they found something more to their style, so I think it would have been better to include some of the more mainstream and pop bands, like UNiTE and Alice Nine, instead of just showing them the heaviest bands they could find. It was clear they were seeking for one specific reaction, which was that reaction of shock and disgust towards the breakdowns and harsh vocals."

I agree they probably should've included other genres of music within visual kei to get more variety, but oh well. 

if you just want the video:

They should have shown them 90's VK like Malice Mizer, then 00's like the Gazette or Alice Nine, and then showed them something from the past few years. that way they could of gotten at least a bit of an idea of the different eras and sounds that are associated with them.

This was still hilarious though, it's so obvious that none of these people are music heads outside of mainstream radio crap other than the guy in the Pokemon shirt... he actually seemed to have some knowledge and it's pretty funny how into it he was XD

starting off with insanity injection was literally the weirdest decision ever, like god i'd be terrified at first too lmao

i certainly agree with the idea of exposing the youtubers to different sub-genres of vk. like i was expecting metal and then something cute or uppity like purple stone or kiryu. i guess the exposure is good for the bands they chose (besides the gazette) but wtf those were some weird choices indeed, i thought they'd choose bigger bands with varieties of sounds.

lmao, at least one guy seemed to enjoy it quite a lot. The girls were kinda spooked, lmao (but the DADAROMA PV is quite scary though xD).

Edited by Licio123

Just going to go ahead with the consensus of yeah, variety is the spice of life and would have been nice to have here. The lack of Malice Mizer actually really confused me. Poor choice of samples, poor choice of YouTubers to expose this to, definitely set up in a certain way to illicit a very specific reason from the people watching which is a little unfortunate.

i have no clue why people think this is a bad video

their reactions are identical to visual kei, this wasn't intended to convert anyone into the fandom but as a topic of discussion--which tbh we need some more exposure of. yeah its cringey, i know but if you expected them to correctly cover visual kei then you're an utter blockhead. also its cool that they drew parallels with alt-metal, considering a good chunk of vk is still influenced by that stuff. they also made the video more than just "Wow Gender Bending" or "Japanese People R So Craycray", and i think it'll tune a good chunk of people onto vk. check the comments for risley circus, there's a whole bunch of people who know jack shit about vk but liked the visuals and want to explore more.

any foreign exposure is good publicity for visual kei bands, especially insanity injection and dadaroma. don't yall remember the whole "omfg have u seen obscure" kind of shit that introduced a whole generation of kids to j-rock in general? its not 2007-2009 anymore but i will still cross my fingers for some resurgence in interest that said my fingers will be crossed for a while cuz rip vk

Edited by emmny

Haha, I actually think that wasn't too bad? At least they didn't say VK is a music genre (my biggest pet peeve) and stressed the fact there is a lot of variety inside the scene, although it would have been nice to emphasize that with some actual videos. I  was expecting something like DIV or lynch. to pop up, but I guess there wasn't enough time. But it seems they did some decent research and I am pleased with that. No blatant incorrect info.

I was actually expecting to see Obscure since that used to be the go-to video for scaring your family and friends, but that Insanity Injection video was a good substitute. As for the reactions, they were as expected, none of those people seemed to be the target audience for this kind of thing, save for that one guy who seemed sincerely impressed.

Edited by saltofstones

I'm kind of curious as to how they decided on the three bands. Like Gazette makes sense since they're like a "mainstream" vk band and more well known, but I wonder how/who picked the other two bands. I still wish they had at least one kira kira kei band or one with more rap influence just to show some diversity, but I guess all publicity is good publicity?

like @saltofstonessaid, I'm glad they stressed that vk isn't just one music genre. I think that was a really important point to make and opens the doors of vk to many people who might want to explore it. 

I think their reactions are okay.

But yes they should showed a few more other visual kei bands, which aren't that crazy in videos but still cool :3 like purple stone or some similar band XD

This was a lot less cancerous than I expected. No 'Japan is crazy' comments. Like everyone else, I'm curious about the random choice of bands, at least I discovered Insanity Injection. It was a good way of getting the shock factor over and done with haha Perhaps Smileberry or DIV would've been more accepted?

I wish they'd got ' that 99% of band members are men and no, their looks don't make them homosexuals' thing out of the way, but I guess it will be done in the youtube comments.

But what the fuck are they on about '...Minus the clown, it's good'? Yoshiatsu was born to be a clown. He should stay a clown :roll:

Edited by Platy

Absolutely normal and expected reactions... VK is fuckin weird, we all have weird tastes around here, is to be expected of someone who never got in touch with the culture to find it aswell. Hell, I know the scene for 15+ years and I still can't see the appeal of gruesome stuff like Insanity Injection shit...

More than one commented on the visuals being interested, while not enjoying the sound, and other two or three commented that they like that vk can cover a wide genre of music, and maybe they could find something fitting for their tastes....

Also, the one who liked it is Jake from vsauce3, one of the best channels in youtube. I was pretty sure he would be interested as tought provoking topics is kinda his thing

Pretty nice video overall, could have used a better selection of music, tho

1 hour ago, peffy said:

"I don't know if they boys or girls... but they fine"  killed me

And the guy that said "Oh, this won best album!" ....

I would love to see more of their reactions with a wider variety of bands.

Basic bitches gon' basic.

I am still cracking up from those 2 burnt as fuck girls getting lit in the comments section. Sometimes I love YouTube.

Please don't let VK become the next Kpop PLEASE NO!

Edited by YuyoDrift

Honestly I feel like even after watching the video most people will STILL not give a shit about current VK
All those comments, "Where's X Japan?" 
"Where's girugamesh?" and shit like that lmao ya'll... Even people that like(d) vk don't wanna see new shit byeeeeee

Mix Speakers Inc would've been better than the Gazette song they picked 

but like one of them said. " It's still no Carly Rae Jepsen" xD

Wow. This happened... okay.

The reactions were both amusing and cringe-y at times, and I'm glad most of them were able to dig THE INVISIBLE WALL. Since the hosts of the video were trying to make a point that VK is a more diverse scene, and not just "ladyboy carnage metal," then they should have used PVs from some different bands and different times .

5 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

If the future of visual-kei is in either Tyler Oakly or Yohio's hands, I should probably just go into a hypoglycemic-induced coma 

LMAO