Auh7f0v.jpg

OHP | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Members:

Robin Aoki (vocals, guitar)

Aoki Yutaka (guitar)

Nakamata Kazuhiro (bass)

Akiyama Takahiko (drums)

Zakuro (Visual production)

downy is a post-rock/dark electronic band from Japan. Formed in 2000, the group went on an indefinite hiatus in late 2004, finally returning in 2013. Their name is always spelled with a lower-case d. 
All their studio albums, as well as some of their singles, are untitled and referred to exclusively in all official materials as "無題" (pronounced "mudai", meaning untitled). 

Albums:

[2001.05.23] 第一作品集『無題』

[2002.05.22] 第二作品集『無題』

[2003.05.08] 第三作品集『無題』

[2004.07.22] 第四作品集『無題』

[2013.11.20] 第五作品集『無題』

[2016.09.07] 第六作品集『無題』

Videos:

With their 6th album quickly approaching, isn't it about time we made a thread for these legends?? :lleft: 

Who else is down with downy? Any favorite tracks? Favorite albums? Rankings? General thoughts on the band!? :3

Edited by CAT5

Dope. Fucking. Band.

This is one of those few artists that I could genuinely gush over for hours if given the time. I'll admit that they're definitely not everybody's cup of tea but, goddamn, they do what they do so fucking well. Their sound, though it has developed over the years, has always felt to me like one of the few really genuine explorations of feelings like depression, displacement, awkwardness, and uncomfortably without coming across as melodramatic or over-the-top. I love the way their music often employs these constant repetitive phrases throughout the duration of a song, particularly when it comes to their percussion and basslines. Just... aaargh, even typing about them makes me wanted to scream like a fangirl at a One Direction concert.

My favourte album would have to be 第五作品集『無題』, but all of them are extremely solid efforts. As for favourite songs, 春と修羅 has generally been my go-to answer even though there are a handful from pretty much all of their albums that I could include in a list like that.

This is definitely a band I've been meaning to delve further into their discography for a long time. I've only listened to 第五作品集『無題』 so far, after I think both of your vouched for it. And I did enjoy it a lot, I think "時雨前" is my favorite song but I like "燦" a lot too... it's hard to pick lol. So having a thread to discuss them will help me dig deeper into their music. This thread was definitely over due! 

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

Oh I thought this was a thread about laundry detergent lol

I'll check them CAT, as you guys make them sound promising :)

I made an introductory mix for them in this thread, if you're interested. It has songs from across their entire discography so it should give you a good idea of their overall sound.

第五作品集『無題』 is easily my favorite album of theirs, and one of my favorite albums in general. My listening habits tend to be more track-based than album-based, but 5th is one of those albums that I feel I can actually appreciate as a complete work. The soundscape and general aesthetic of that album is painted so viscerally that I can't help but be drawn into it and completely feel immersed by it. Even the songs I didn't enjoy initially grew on me with time (tracks 3, 4, and 10 especially). Favorite songs include "時雨前", "春と修羅", "雨の犬", "燦", and "椿" from 5th, "暗闇と賛歌"  and "サンキュー来春" from 4th, and "黒い雨" from 2nd. Though admittedly, I've spent way less time with the first four albums. The clammbon track they covered is also pretty awesome.

Definitely looking forward to the 6th album. I can't imagine it being any less than a masterpiece at this point!

I'm pretty sure that the song starting at 0:33 in the new preview video is the one that they played when I saw them back in February.  If the rest of the album is even half as good as that then we'll be in for a treat!

On 8/22/2016 at 7:33 AM, Pho said:

I'm pretty sure that the song starting at 0:33 in the new preview video is the one that they played when I saw them back in February.  If the rest of the album is even half as good as that then we'll be in for a treat!

I've been spamming 5th again lately.  That album is so ridiculously good. It's like the perfect length too. I'm really amped for 6th. I know these guys pay A LOT of attention to production and sound design too. There are so many sounds in 5th that would be grating/unappealing on their own, but the way they blend into the mix is just pure beauty.

RobinxTaigen-620x350.jpg

Downy x Bo Ningen | The “Untitled 6” Interview

http://www.brownnoiseunit.com/interviews/downy-x-bo-ningen-the-untitled-6-interview/

I loved reading this interview! So few English downy interviews exist, so this was great to read. I'm still processing the new album, but It's easily one my favorite things released this year already!

Edited by CAT5

On 8/21/2016 at 7:46 AM, CAT5 said:

All their studio albums, as well as some of their singles, are untitled

Why??? Did they ever state a reason for that? Personally, I think that this sucks.

Great band, I found them along time ago when info on most Japanese music was scarce. Is Sleepy a.b  influenced?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, IGM_Oficial said:

Why??? Did they ever state a reason for that? Personally, I think that this sucks.

Indie bands intentionally do off-trend stuffs, to appear different towards their listeners. Sometimes these seem like very odd in smart ways... or downy ways ☺️ Japanese indie has lot to offer with good music. I discovered downy three years earlier. Felt the urge to tag along for this bizarre mudai attribution.

Love their sounds ❤️