Sign in to follow this  
Pretsy

[Band Battle] TK from Ling Tosite Sigure vs. Gesu no Kiwami Otome

[Band Battle] TK from Ling Tosite Sigure vs. Gesu no Kiwami Otome  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• TK from Ling Tosite Sigure
    • Gesu no Kiwami Otome

Instead of random VK face-offs and even more random clusterfucks, let's try to bring the actual purpose of this format back:

TK from Ling Tosite Sigure

Spoiler

Gesu no Kiwami Otome

Spoiler

I tried my best to represent main aspects of these bands above, but anyways - why such comparison though (aside from both being side-projects)?

- Both frontmen (TK and Enon) bear similar tendencies when combining math/prog-ish approaches with pop hooks and high vocal registers

- Both projects are supposed to be more or less a bit far-off and varied, but still close arrangements of their usual songcraft

- Both projects leave more room for possible backing members unlike in their main acts (e.g. TK spotlighting his main session bassist and Enon spotlighting others in his own)

All in all, I find this battle to be rather serious one but fun nonetheless if you do really dig both acts (yeah yeah, not that we expect possible Enon bias here but I am curious about those who do not follow either really)

Go!

Edited by Alroy

If this had been their main projects, I probably would have voted Sigure, but I personally haven't gravitated to TK's solo work as much as I have to Gesu. Stylistically Gesu just resonates better with me, and especially when TK sounds 'reigned in' he loses some of what makes his style special (or at least more basic song arrangements make it harder for me to ignore how much I dislike his voice lol). I need TK to be weird and all over the place to hold my interest. 

Never really liked or cared for Gesu. The only song I've ever liked is the second one, "私以外私じゃないの". I would happily listen to that from time to time, but other than that, nothing else has caught my interest. And I doubt it ever will, mainly because it's Enon, and I really don't have a soft spot for his own work, nor voice, which I find most important. TK, on the other hand, has always had my support and attention, even if it all may be going downhill now. I've enjoyed his works, with the band and on his own, and continue to do so. It just has to be Ling for me!

6 hours ago, doombox said:

If this had been their main projects, I probably would have voted Sigure, but I personally haven't gravitated to TK's solo work as much as I have to Gesu. Stylistically Gesu just resonates better with me, and especially when TK sounds 'reigned in' he loses some of what makes his style special (or at least more basic song arrangements make it harder for me to ignore how much I dislike his voice lol). I need TK to be weird and all over the place to hold my interest. 

hmm, I think TK's solo stuff is a bit more varied and broader in scope than his work with ling, but in general, the songwriting for his solo stuff has been much more straightforward, so I do agree to that end.. I also think his style has remained relatively unique, despite being severely watered down over the past few years. But I certainly see what you mean - I appreciate TK's voice, but he should never EVER do ballads! TK, bruh, it's just not in the cards you!

As for the topic at hand - I think both enon and TK have undesirable voices, but TK has a much more emotive spark that I enjoy more. I think both projects would do far better if enon and TK relinquished their vocal duties to female vocalists. Hearing Aimer over a TK production was bliss and Miyoko never got enough vocal time in ling. Gesu has a sound that I think would easily lend itself towards female vocals - they don't need a vocal powerhouse or anything, but definitely someone who could outclass enon (and no, NOT the pianist or the drummer!).

When it comes to song-writing, I think both TK and enon have potent formulas. enon is especially adept at writing big, infectious pop hooks and seamlessly blending clever/catchy instrumentation with really basic song structures. I don't like the dude, but there's no denying that he knows how to write, and he's good at it. A few of my pals even consider him a genius. I think TK writes in a similar fashion, only he's not as subtle - his style is much more dramatic and grandiose - there's an almost cinematic tone to some of his work, and it just jives with my preferences a bit more.

tl;dr I'm biased towards TK :P

Also, those sample TK songs are far from my favorites, but Enon needs all the help he can get! :P

1 hour ago, CAT5 said:

hmm, I think TK's solo stuff is a bit more varied and broader in scope than his work with ling, but in general, the songwriting for his solo stuff has been much more straightforward, so I do agree to that end.. I also think his style has remained relatively unique, despite being severely watered down over the past few years. But I certainly see what you mean - I appreciate TK's voice, but he should never EVER do ballads! TK, bruh, it's just not in the cards you!

As for the topic at hand - I think both enon and TK have undesirable voices, but TK has a much more emotive spark that I enjoy more. I think both projects would do far better if enon and TK relinquished their vocal duties to female vocalists. Hearing Aimer over a TK production was bliss and Miyoko never got enough vocal time in ling. Gesu has a sound that I think would easily lend itself towards female vocals - they don't need a vocal powerhouse or anything, but definitely someone who could outclass enon (and no, NOT the pianist or the drummer!).

True, "basic" was probably not as good a word choice as "straightforward" and I really can't compare Sigure knowledge with you, you blow mine out of the water!!! I'll be over in my n00b corner of shame. lol XD But thanks for reading between the lines.  He needs to leave the ballads for Aimer all the way! I agree 100% with your second paragraph here. I think both could use a different vocalist to their benefit, definitely.

I can't comment on Gesu no Kiwami Otome since I haven't really listened to them enough, but with regards to TK it's hard for me to decide how I should appraise his work overall. If you asked me this in 2012, when his only releases were the film A moment DVD and flowering, I'd have gladly placed him above just about anyone else out there with the exception of a very select few other artists, but considering how everything since then has been increasingly dull and more and more generic/stagnant, I'm not sure how I should feel about him overall.  I mean technically when you view his discography as a whole it still contains those two amazing releases that I mentioned before, but the fact that the 'average' quality of his work has gone so downhill just makes me feel like it would be hard for me to vote for him had he gone up against an artist I knew well enough to be able to vote.

Sign in to follow this