Sign in to follow this  
beni

"TV Live-Action Series for 'Sword Art Online' Announced" - The Live Action Adaption Thread

I thought this might need its own thread, so here goes~

American production company Skydance Media, a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures, has announced that they have acquired global rights for the upcoming Sword Art Online live-action TV series, which will be adapted from the original light novel. Film producer and executive producer Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) will write the script for the TV series. Miki Kazuma, editor of the light novel, mentioned that Kadokawa and Aniplex will release this news in Japan tomorrow morning.

The light novel, which is written by Reki Kawahara and illustrated by abec, has been publishing since April 2009 and currently has 17 volumes in-print. It has been adapted into two TV anime series by A-1 Pictures. The first season was broadcast for two cours in Summer 2012, followed by a TV special in December 2013. The second season broadcast in 2014. In addition to the anime adaptation, the series has received multiple manga adaptations by various artists. A movie is expected to premiere in Japan on February 18, 2017. 

http://myanimelist.net/news/47204328

How do we all feel about this? With already done anime adaptions from previous years that weren't too amazing (looking at Dragon Ball Z, Death Note, and Avatar, not so respectively), how can we ever be confident anymore? This goes without saying to both Japanese and Western adaptions. With the recent news on Death Note's dreaded American adaption (which you'll find plenty of updates on), and no forgetting about the very much spoken of and anticipated Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johansson, is anyone genuinely excited about these (SAO, especially!)? Or are we all always walking on egg shells when it comes to live adaptions?

Don't get me wrong, I have liked plenty of them, and they've had their own success (mainly the Japanese ones, amirite? >.>)~ I think of 20th Century Boys and Rurouni Kenshin.

But I'm pretty intrigued how it'll be a series. I'm NOT intrigued that it's SAO. I really cannot be any less interested in the show after trying it out a bit and being so underwhelmed. If anything, all these adaptions make me sad how the focus, effort, energy and love can be put into something better, like more deserving mangas getting the anime treatment, and even some much needed sequels of a couple of anime seasons (like Highschool of the Dead... I mean Toaru Majutsu no Index)! 

Also do note, this thread can be used to talk about any and all adaptions of this entertainment (anime/manga). I used SAO as the main starter subject because of its very recent relevance to open it up.

tumblr_ncfigovJ7e1rg355zo1_500.gif

tumblr_nq4p1hNhS91sglzgho2_500.gif

Stage play Yowamushi and musical Kuroshitsuji any time though. /o/

Nine times out of ten the problem with any of these live-action adaptations is that they lack heart. Dragonball Evolution was a piece of shit and the screenwriter himself admitted he was just after some easy money. But there's no point blaming western studios for doing bad jobs with adaptations since japanese can't do much better either. I actually prefer big American studios doing adaptations for e.g. Ghost in the Shell or Death Note. The settings of those movies work way better outside Japan and at least they have the budget to make it look good, CGI-wise. I can't say that I know any Japanese live-action adaptations that don't have bad CGI. (Attack on Titan, Rurouni Kenshin etc.) I actually liked the Rurouni Kenshin movies but the CGI was terrible. Of course there's always the fear that the special effects will suck anyway or they have some hack screenwriter who lacks passion and will ruin everything. But I'm still looking forward to GiTS and if it was some japanese studio doing that movie, I most likely wouldn't be looking forward to it. Japan should just focus on doing low-budget high school rom-com movies á la Ao Haru Ride or Orange.

I'm pretty sure that SAO TV series will suck.

I want that live-action Cowboy Bebop, though. Just saying.

Edited by indigo

On 8/6/2016 at 10:20 PM, beni said:

Gonna be really pleasantly surprised if this actually turns out even half-decent. At least the actor for Kaneki was picked out by Ishida. Though it's going to be weird to see him as Kaneki since he already played Light Yagami... I'm also waiting really nervously to see who they cast as Shuu, if he's even in it at all... sorta hoping he might not be just to keep him safe if the movie turns out terrible. If his character gets dragged through the mud yet again I'm going to riot.  (ง'̀-'́)ง 

Sign in to follow this