Sign in to follow this  
togz

#78: Evolution From Apes by HER NAME IN BLOOD

HNIB  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How did you feel about this EP?

• I think it's solid and they're headed in a great direction.
    • It's pretty mediocre. Not terrible. Not memorable.
    • This is the worst release in the history of HNIB.

o7258gU.png

Tracklist:
1. LAST DAY
2. REVOLVER
3. DOWN
4. GASOLINES
5. HALO

:_5/10_:  | Her Name in Blood? More like Her Name in Treble.

Her Name in Blood is a Metal band that offers some metalcore and classic styles in their music. Established in 2006 , the band has released 3 albums, 2 EPs, 1 single and 3 tracks for various artist releases. Evolution From Apes is the newest addition to their discography and provides us with two new and three re-mixed tracks. Given their increase in activity and popularity, it was to be expected that Evolution From Apes  would be a strong contribution to their library. However, it leaves you with nothing more than slight disappointment. This release is not terrible but it's a little frustrating that they took great songs and really toned down the most important elements. Such production makes me wonder who directed the changes and what the band had in mind and if they achieved that or just ran out of time. 

Some may have noticed the new music video  for a song titled "LAST DAY " which sounded promising but doesn't sum up the quality of the EP and is the only track that stands out. While "LAST DAY" proves to be upbeat and melodic, the production of the other songs cut the band short of success. "REVOLVER", "GASOLINES", and "HALO" cause a raise of the brow as to why they were reduced in quality. The prominent difference from the originals is the lack of bass and drums. While still  great songs,  the older versions leave the new versions sounding dry or bland. "GASOLINES "and "REVOLVER" are tolerable as they don't stray too far from their original idea. "HALO", as popular as it is, ended up being the biggest mistake of this release. The levels for the guitars have been so unnecessarily cranked up that it overpowers what little bass and vocal elements were left.

Even though the remakes are a struggle to sit through, the new material isn't so bad. Although the mixing is relatively the same as the remakes, there's no previous guideline to taint our expectations of what they should sound like. Aside from "LAST DAY", "DOWN" could be a solid listen. That is, until the lack of a smooth transition to the guitar solo causes the composition to sound disjointed. Hearing some team effort in the vocal department is a nice touch and it's nice to be graced with Makoto's verbal presence. The battle between Ikepy's screams and Makoto's singing does create an enjoyable listen during the chorus. 

Overall, the EP sounded very rushed despite the announcement of the release being a good amount of time in advanced. Better luck next time.

Purchase

On 7/7/2016 at 2:00 PM, togz said:

:_5/10_:  | Her Name in Blood? More like Her Name in Treble.

They've always been terrible though. It's not like they were Arise in stability 

13 hours ago, togz said:

I'm curious to know the reasoning behind such a statement. Please share why you think so!

well their arrangements are always basic, and their vocals are not good enough to make up for it. i would like them if they were places did some twist and had good or interesting vocals. 

I always felt they were rather melodic compared to the djent thing going around lately. And their choruses in their more known songs are memorable. I also appreciate that they tend to mesh a classic tone with more modern ideas. 

But it to each their own!

Edited by togz

When I saw so many re-recordings on this one I was skeptical about wasting my time with it. Your review pretty much confirms what I was afraid of, though I do like "Last Day" so I might eventually get it for that song. I'm kind of sad to hear they didn't change much for "Gasolines", I felt like of all of them that song could have used with some studio sprucing up. I like the original but its turned to eleven the entire time and it got a little muddy for me. That's kind of a nitpick, but I was hopeful about it anyway. 

I'll be holding out some hope that the upcoming major label album has some interesting stuff going on. I know some people only care how balls-to-the-wall heavy or progressive they can be, but all I care about is they don't keep doing the same things over again and get stale. They're too young for that. XD

Sign in to follow this