CAT5

The Japanese Jazz Thread!

now this is a must listen. shes amazing!

Hiromi is amazing indeed, but I haven't really followed her much beyond her first 3 albums. Has she released anything cool since then?

Hiromi is amazing indeed, but I haven't really followed her much beyond her first 3 albums. Has she released anything cool since then?

im actually the same with you. times when I was listening to her I didnt had acces to the internet. once i did get internet, i explored punk bands. but yeah aside from that all I know is that I think she released a new album recently or something about touring. following her on FB.

ill probably litsen to her stuff in a bit. like to get into that jazzy mood :)

I ventured into this thread hoping to discover some Jazz I'd enjoy. I've never really gotten into Jazz, and I know so very little. I really surprised myself here, actually enjoying a couple instrumental tracks you've put up above, @CAT5; Takuya Kuroda and cro-magnon. Must remember to check out more of Paris Match and uni-birth. It's embarrassing to admit but I already knew of Pe'z, well, Pe'zmoku (thanks to this anime song) and I had no idea they were jazz. x'D 

My favourites have already been mentioned here, but I'd like to show more appreciation for them. I already knew of all three, but it's thanks to this thread I looked into the first two. <3

Really dig orange pekoe's vocal work. And their album covers are gorgeous.

Quite old fashioned in appearance and sound. So fresh and appealing overall. Uri Nakayama is so delightful.

One of my favourite covers and my first actual love in the Jazz area. JiLL-Decoy association. <3

Jazz is a hit & miss genre for me, can someone give me some recommendation? I prefer indie band ^ ^

FYI, these are my favorite jazz bands/musicians, to find my music taste:

BLU-SWING

jizue

Hamada Maron

有形ランペイジ

カゲロウ

JiLL-Decoy association

8-eit

thx before :)

New Re-trick out next month! w00!

Jazz is a hit & miss genre for me, can someone give me some recommendation? I prefer indie band ^ ^

FYI, these are my favorite jazz bands/musicians, to find my music taste:

BLU-SWING

jizue

Hamada Maron

有形ランペイジ

カゲロウ

JiLL-Decoy association

8-eit

thx before :)

Have you tried bands like paris match, EGO-WRAPPIN', orange pekoe, and 勝手にしやがれ?

New Re-trick out next month! w00!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you played this is dub just recently, right? I didn't notice the date, I really need to check this out. Thank you for all the updates. : 3

Vocaloid related but still a worth while listen, don't be turned off.

I'm mad at Zeus because, he introduced me to 8-eit and they are on "hiatus", I fell in love omg they are smooth. Dang you Zeus!

Sorry if this stuff has been mentioned before.. don't have time to read the whole thread... but I just wanted to pop by and spam some of my favourite j-jazz .. uhhh honestly not even sure if this is really "jazz".. but too bad. This stuff is pretty old.. 8-21 years old.

Our Love to Stay - Sweetie

Okumura Aiko - Machikado Margarita

She has WAY jazzier songs, but this is the only song of hers that exists on youtube that I know well..

Kojima Mayumi - Kekkon soudanjo

akiko - Prelude to a Kiss

I don't know this particular song well.. but my favourite jazzy songs by her are not on youtube..

EGO-WRAPPIN' - Ashinaga no Salvador

Hatakeyama Miyuki 畠山美由紀 - Clematis yo

Nobuchika Eri - Sketch for Summer

Actually wanted to post the "Live @ Sony Music Studio" version of this song which is super jazzy, unfortunately it is not on youtube.

Sakamoto Maaya - Neko to inu

Yuu - Kuromitsu

This is someone's piano cover of the song, but you can still hear it.

Nakashima Mika - Love Addict

I love how this is the "short version" but they still put that pointless 30 second intro in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQF9BZXh-c8

Koda Kumi - MORE

more!! more!! mooooooooooooooooore!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeNgLBxHqCs

Tokyo Jihen - Tasogare naki

Thanks for listening~ or scrolling past this~

Edited by peffy

Have you tried bands like paris match, EGO-WRAPPIN', orange pekoe, and 勝手にしやがれ?

Thanks, I have heard EGO-WRAPPIN' and like a few of their songs lol

Can you give recommended album for bands that you mentioned above?

killer thread

Its fusion, but is anyone hip to these guys and their affiliated projects?

On 3/16/2016 at 8:54 PM, peffy said:

Sorry if this stuff has been mentioned before.. don't have time to read the whole thread... but I just wanted to pop by and spam some of my favourite j-jazz .. uhhh honestly not even sure if this is really "jazz".. but too bad. This stuff is pretty old.. 8-21 years old.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I don't know why I never responded to your post! Everything you posted is fine. I'm far from being some kind of jazz elitist, so this thread is for pretty much any flavor of jazz - pop or otherwise!

EGO-WRAPPIN' is one of my all-time favorite Japanese bands. So glad to see more love for them! Kojima Mayumi is freaking fantastic, and was just telling @beni the other day how stunning Miyuki Hatakeyama's voice is! Bless you! I swear from the things you've posted that I've probably seen you around some jpop forum back in the day!

Nobuchika Eri's first album was so good too. Shame that Japan's mainstream never really took the whole modern house sound. Their house/crossover scene seems pretty nonexistent these days from what I can tell - I'm probably just not in the loop anymore, though.

Also I came here to post this because ahhhhhhhhhh I love Nikaido Kazumi, and this is such a great collab! She's always so infectiously cheerful and buoyant (and talented), how can you NOT like her!?!? :D

@fitear1590 and @Carmelzors - you guys may enjoy this too!  They're releasing an album in September! <3

15 hours ago, CAT5 said:

I swear from the things you've posted that I've probably seen you around some jpop forum back in the day!

Haha, that's not likely... the only other music forum I ever joined/read/posted in was Kyo Music City, and that was primarily a download site.

I don't remember where I learned about Port of Notes/Miyuki and EGO-WRAPPIN'.. when I was getting into Japanese music I found a couple of small websites by J music fans dedicated to their favourite music. Those two might've been mentioned in one of those websites. 

... oh actually, I used to chat a lot in a Soulseek chat room, got quite a few recommendations from people in there... not sure how I forgot that, lol

I found Mayumi when I saw this Nintendo commercial on TV. Though it took me a long time to figure out who the artist was.

Nikaido Kazumi seems really cool, I gotta make a note to check her stuff out!

On 7/26/2016 at 6:02 PM, peffy said:

Haha, that's not likely... the only other music forum I ever joined/read/posted in was Kyo Music City, and that was primarily a download site.

I don't remember where I learned about Port of Notes/Miyuki and EGO-WRAPPIN'.. when I was getting into Japanese music I found a couple of small websites by J music fans dedicated to their favourite music. Those two might've been mentioned in one of those websites. 

... oh actually, I used to chat a lot in a Soulseek chat room, got quite a few recommendations from people in there... not sure how I forgot that, lol

I found Mayumi when I saw this Nintendo commercial on TV. Though it took me a long time to figure out who the artist was.

Nikaido Kazumi seems really cool, I gotta make a note to check her stuff out!

ahh, I see! I am probably mistaking you for someone else who had a similar username. I remember KMC tho! Port of Notes/Miyuki and EGO-WRAPPIN' are definitely in the same realm, musically, so I can see that being the case. Do you have any favorite songs or releases by them?

I was active on slsk around from 2006-2007 mostly, but usually in JMR. I think there may have been a Japanese indie or general Japanese music room too.

and yassssssssssssss. "hatsukoi" is such a lovely song! It's funny you mention mp3 rotations because the first song I heard by Kojima was "parade", which had been posted on a rotation site in like 2004 or 2005 lol.

I think you'd dig Nikaido. Her solo stuff is generally more folky, but she's a great artist!

22 hours ago, CAT5 said:

I was active on slsk around from 2006-2007 mostly, but usually in JMR. I think there may have been a Japanese indie or general Japanese music room too.

I've been racking my brain since you posted this, but I can't remember the name of the chat room I frequented. It was definitely Japanese themed, but I think it was smaller than the main rooms. This was prob around 2004-2006. I went by either peffy or peff. I spent A LOT of time in there, and was probably one of the more well-known/popular people in that room... so if I never spoke directly with you, you may have spoken to my old friends ^^

23 hours ago, CAT5 said:

Do you have any favorite songs or releases by them?

"One More Bourbon" is easily my fave Port of Notes song. Admittedly I never got way into any of their other songs.

I really really loved Miyuki's album Reflection, and her cover/collab album わたしのうた

As for EGO-WRAPPIN', my faves would be .. あしながのサルヴァドール, 憐れみのプレリュード, 色彩のブルース, 老いぼれ犬のセレナーデ

Man I should really spend more time listening to these artists, I've been neglecting them =_=

On 4/8/2015 at 7:25 PM, CAT5 said:

New PV from the Gentle Forest Jazz Band - lead by trombonist Gentle Kubota, who's also a member of Zainichi Funk. It's refreshing to hear this big-band/bop sound out of Japan, especially since some of the more prominent acts have been churning out some pretty unremarkable club-jazz.

Just wanted to necro revive this thread to say that I am enjoying Gentle Forest Jazz Band's music! I've only recently found out about them by listening to their latest album release. I will have to check out their earlier stuff for sure XD

I've also stumbled across this pairing. It's got saxophone and guitar mixed together, but I'm digging the sound.

As for jazz-influenced music, the only one I can think of right now is Shoji Meguro. As for VK-related artists, D=out hands down plays jazz best, lol.