Sign in to follow this  
beni

Anime Theme Recommendations: Spring 2016

ATR: Spring 2016  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What did YOU think of the theme songs for this season?

• One of the strongest seasons for theme songs ever!
    • Have found an enjoyable amount of songs and artists!
    • Was better then last season, but nothing outstanding.
    • Has been pretty disappointing. Only liked a few openings and endings..
    • Simply terrible, didn't like any theme song. Skipped them as often as possible...

tumblr_o9lkv7sKl41rfey86o1_1280.png

Hello and welcome to our second edition of Anime Theme Recommendations (ATR) of 2016! We might not have found this season's batch of themes to be as strong as last season, but there's still a lovely amount worth to check out, so we've comprised another nifty list of our favourites. We apologize in advance if any videos do not play in your region. We do hope you find anything at all you like the sound of, or even look of! Check out certain spoiler wraps for lyric videos with the selections where lyrics have been covered for more detail on that. So, if you happen to share our favourites, be sure to leave a comment below. If you're not such a fan, tell us what we've missed out! We hope you enjoy!

Ending to Bungou Stray Dogs

Luck Life (ラックライフ) - "Namae wo Yobu yo (名前を呼ぶよ)" 

9Z4j4g9.jpg?1

This is one of my favorite ending themes from this season. Not only is "Namae wo Yobu yo" a perfect fit tone wise, but it is also a song that conveys a lot of emotion in its delivery. I'm not going to go into what this whole sequence means in the greater scheme of things since that would contain some major spoilers, but I will say that the imagery in correlation with the lyrics holds great relevancy and adds so much context to the show. This ending pretty much serves two main purposes: to show the contrast between Atsushi and Akutagawa, and to showcase the relationships between Dazai and the two aforementioned characters. All in all this makes for a very great ending with purpose.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Ending to Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season

Haruka Chisuga (千菅春香) - "Ai no Uta -words of love- (愛の詩-words of love-)"

B3kIOKu.jpg?1

Admittedly Gakusen Toshi Asterisk isn't what I would call the best of shows. Hell it's downright bad at times, but the ending theme for the second season is simply delightful. "Ai no Uta -words of love-" by Haruka Chisuga who is also a VA in the show is just wonderful. It swoops in at the end of episodes often on cliffhangers and other similar situations with catchy electronic beats and what sounds like the voice of an angel. What the song does well is how catchy it is and how lovely the singer sounds. The electronic aspects of the song fits the show's aesthetic as well. The sequence itself showcases most of the main characters, the relationships between them, and various "memories". It also foreshadows some events that later happen in this season and some that will happen in the next.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Ending to Gundam Unicorn RE0096

SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:naNami - "Next 2 U -eUC-"

zEymjij.jpg

"Next 2 U" was already released in 2014 on Sawano's collaboration album "UnChild" with Aimer, so I had no problem falling head over heels for this new rendition! Knowing that it wasn't an anime theme at the time really surprised me because of its sound. So it's extremely pleasing to see it now in an anime. And how fittingly so that it's Gundam! Even with a different singer I hadn't heard before with Sawano, it didn't disappoint. Soft verses against a strong, melodic Engrish filled chorus, anyone? Also, that single art is just magnificent.

-  @beni

Spoiler

Opening to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

The Du - "Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town"

g9U0GTq.jpg?2

More of a guilty pleasure than anything else (c'mon, it's JoJo), this most recent opening to the bizarrely entertaining show has me up and moving as soon as it starts playing.  Sounding so seductively cheesy, like a spoof show of the 80s, it's so stupidly catchy, that you'll have to succumb to the JoJo madness with this alone! There's a fun amount of trivia to be noticed in the opening sequence (like the sign posts referencing designs throughout the series - the skull from character Yoshikage Kira's tie being one of them), and the fact that this is the first JoJo opening not made by Kamikaze Douga, it becomes even more entertaining the more you see (and hear) it!

- @beni

Spoiler

Opening to Joker Game

QUADRANGLE - "Reason Triangle"
 Wrn4HZZ.jpg?1

Episodic spy thriller "Joker Game" was one of those anime that flew under the radar, didn't generate much hype, probably won't be dubbed, and was pretty enjoyable as a whole.  The show is compelling enough to stand on its own, but the jazz rock "REASON TRIANGLE" complements the tone and mood of the anime perfectly! My friend and I don't make it a habit of listening to opening themes, but we let this one play. The chorus is a clever mix of subtle and catchy. I can guarantee the hook will get stuck in your head. It's definitely my favorite anime theme of the season. I haven't come across QUADRANGLE before - and a quick glance at their activity history suggests that this is their break out single - so I unfortunately can't share too much more information about them. If all of their songs are as ace as "REASON TRIANGLE", we have a very promising band to look out for.

- @Zeus

Spoiler

Opening to Kiznaiver

BOOM BOOM SATELLITES - "LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME"

zGme4Ge.jpg?1

I was surprised at how ethereally pleasant this song was when the opening came on - and even more so when I saw  "BOOM BOOM SATELLITES" credited on the screen. From what I've heard and enjoyed of them, this extremely poppy, dancefloor/EDM friendly track wasn't what I was used to from them. Simply put, it was the kind of autotuned dance song that I listened to before I found out there was music outside of MTV. While I admit to not caring about the song on first listen, the more I heard it, the more I came to appreciate it, and even more so when I l discovered that Kawashima's daughter starred in the PV. When we take into consideration that this is the final release from BOOM BOOM SATELLITES, it makes this even more of a treasure. Gorgeously contrasting the anime's dark and intriguing themes of "connecting with others while sharing pain", it's captivating in both the anime's case and on it's own. Farewell, thank you, and all the best.

- @beni

Spoiler

Ending to Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

Aimer with chelly (EGOIST) - "ninelie"

07ZMwmT.jpg?1

Okay, let's see... One of the best and most talented anime composers in the industry; Hiroyuki Sawano, check. Two of the best female singers in anison; Aimer and Chelly, check and check. Steam punk aesthetic and post apocalyptic setting, check. Studio Wit who did Shingeki no kKyojin and Owari no Seraph, check. Well damn, this seems like something I'd be into... Hoooot daaamn, this is great! That was how my introduction to Koutetsujou no Kabaneri went down in its entirety and I regret none of it. All joking aside, "ninelie" is a beautiful song sung by two beautiful women and composed by one even more beautiful man. This is a collaboration between the greats of the anison genre and it really shows in its delivery and sheer polish. Even if you don't watch the show, you have to listen to this song. It's that good.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Opening to Kuromukuro

Glay - "Deathtopia (デストピア)"

5WH0Gi1.jpg?1

Next is the opening theme "Deathtopia", from the very underrated mecha show Kuromukuro. What's even more surprising to me is it's performed by Japanese rock group Glay. I love the progression in this song, and how it starts off with the guitars and the vocalist grabbing you in and then changes tempo to match what's going on in the sequence accordingly. Very catchy and just pleasant to watch, I never found myself skipping this one. The imagery is very well done as well, and shows us a lot of key points of the show and hints to future events. The lyrics here are 1:1 with the themes of the show and fit perfectly to the events in the opening sequences.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Opening to Mayoiga

Ami Wajima (和島あみ) - "Gensou Drive (幻想ドライブ)"

br4VchO.jpg?1

A new season, with a newly debuting singer too! This opening to the horror anime Mayoiga is her very first release. Her strong, mature voice stands out, making her extremely noticeable against the flurry of other anison singers who are more typically "moe", those you see and hear all too much of these days in anime. And let's not forget she's only 17! Wonderfully juxtaposed to the anime's ending theme as you'll see below, it's both dramatic for the anime and complimentary to Rina's voice and the ballad in the ending theme.

- @beni

Spoiler

Ending to Mayoiga

Katahira Rina (片平里菜)  - "Ketsuro (結露)"

E78V8M0.jpg?1

Since 2013, Rina has established her mark as a worthy check out for her pleasant, soothing ballad voice while also being able to rock the guitar. It's always a joy to hear such a simple ballad delivered with such perfection thanks to her gorgeous and controlling tone. And for the anime's worth, you can't help but appreciate it more due to its genres of psychological and mystery, helping to build up tension as soft music pieces in a horror setting does so well. With such a splendid OP/ED combo, it's too enticing not to fall prey to. 

- @beni

Spoiler

Opening 19 to Naruto Shippuden

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - "Blood Circulation" 

3ZyTxNK.jpg?1

It might be that I'm just bitter with the Naruto anime overall that this one stands out so much, but the decline in the series' theme quality can't be any more obvious. From the questionable choice of the extremely unsuitable "Tsuki no Ookisa (月の大きさ)" by Nogizaka46 used as the opening while the anime was IN THE MIDDLE of the biggest battle to happen in the series to the worst excuse of a song as ending 18 "Yokubou o Sakebe!!!! (欲望を叫べ!!!!)" by OKAMOTO'S, Naruto's choices of themes has been on the decline for ages. So it was a welcome comeback from Asian Kung-Fu Generation to restore my faith in the once well done theme selections. The guys already contributed to the series before (opening two in the prequel of Shippuden, "Haruka Kanata" and theme song to sixth Shippuden film, "Sore dewa, Mata Ashita"), which undoubtedly spurred on their popularity as we know of it now. They've been killing it recently with other impressive anime songs outside of the series before too (Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei).  Even its short version keeps me repeating. It's just that good!

- @beni

Spoiler

Opening to Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Konomi Suzuki (鈴木このみ) - "Redo"

dLkPNdW.jpg

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu is my favorite series and my favorite OP/ED combo this season. I want to briefly mention how much I'm in love with this show and its attention to detail in all aspects of the adaption process for starters. This is one of the best adaptions I've seen in ages, and in more than one aspect, it has even surpassed the source material for me. The way this series is able to convey pure terror and sorrow, all the while making me care about the characters' challenges is on a whole other level that I've seen in only a few other occasions. For the love of God, watch this please.

So now that the shameless plug is done and over with.... on to the point. Obviously my love for this series is pretty clear, but why do I love it so much? Well, a really big reason why is because of the music. In particular the opening and ending of the show. We'll start off with the opening "Redo", aptly named for reasons that I'm sure you will guess by the end of the first episode or possibly by the end of the opening. Performed by Konomi Suzuki who is no stranger to anime themes, this is by far her best work. The sound itself is very energetic which matches the tempo of the opening sequence perfectly. Of course there is that anison hook that just, well... hooks you. The greatest strength of this song is how well it fits with the opening sequence, both tempo wise and lyric wise. I imagine only those who have watched up to the first half of the season will truly be able to appreciate the attention to detail in the correlation between the lyrics and the scenes that unfold.

-  @Original Saku

Spoiler

Ending to Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

MYTH & ROID - "STYX HELIX"

A3hSdXw.jpg

The ending "STYX HELIX" is just as meaningful in its execution as the opening, but in a more subtle way that I am absolutely positive most people who haven't watched the show won't be able to grasp. There is a lot of foreshadowing of events in this sequence that are very well hidden and only barely peak out. As this is the ending to most of the episodes, it has great presence when it leads some of the most sad and terrifying scenes in the show, and it does this with excruciating feels that send shivers down my back. I must mention that thhis song is performed by MYTH & ROID who are fast becoming one of the best anison bands. They have earned their place as one of my favorites after this and their last few efforts. I must, once again, reference the lyrics to point out just how spot on and relevant they are to the plot and the characters. I wish I could break it all down into spoilers and all for you guys, but that would be a disservice to you and this excellent show.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Opening to Sakamoto desu ga?

Customi Z - "COOLEST"

LeN9cwN.jpg

What we have here is the most hilarious and endearing show along with the most fun and "coolest" opening of the season. Sakamoto desu ga? is wacky, surreal, and even at times sad, but it does all this while staying as cool as a cucumber. But enough of that! This opening just oozes personality and tells you right from the outset that this show is not a serious one, but a fun one. The overall theme is very playful in nature and drives home the fact that this is supposed to be ridiculous, all the while being insanely addicting. The sequence is also really humorous, as you watch Sakamoto's wacky antics iwhile being ever so graceful and dreamy. Watch this show if you want a really good laugh. I know I didn't regret one minute of it.

- @Original Saku

Spoiler

Thank you, and see you next time in October!

@beni - you already know I don't keep up with seasons, but I definitely liked the Aimer/Chelly collab. I just felt it was missing that extra oomph to really push it over the top. Some distorted guitars would have been nice! That Ami Wajima wasn't bad either!

Spring 2016 was pretty good in terms of theme songs. I like most (if not all) op/eds of the animes I watched.

COOLEST is #1 tho

Sign in to follow this