Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

JASRAC pressures 212 businesses for playing background music without paying copyright fee

JASRAC pressures 212 businesses for playing background music without paying copyright fee:

Japan’s largest copyright collection group is seeking arbitration in summary courts nationwide against 212 hair salons, restaurants and apparel stores that allegedly failed to pay fees on background music, its spokesman said Friday.

The move shocked many who were unaware they need to pay JASRAC a copyright fee simply for playing CDs or music from iPods or smartphones. It filed a similar petition last year.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/06/10/national/crime-legal/jasrac-pressures-212-businesses-playing-background-music-without-paying-copyright-fee/#.V2ZDsPkrKM9

This is so hilariously ridiculous! emoticon-crying-tears-of-joy.png emoticon-crying-tears-of-joy.png emoticon-crying-tears-of-joy.png

Don't tell me this is how Japan decided to fix its problems around outdated music business schemes (i.e. not expanding the internet shopping possibilities, focusing on CDs and all that stupid shizznit etc.). JASRAC, oh JASRAC...

4 minutes ago, Carmelzors said:

Don't tell me this is how Japan decided to fix its problems around outdated music business schemes (i.e. not expanding the internet shopping possibilities, focusing on CDs and all that stupid shizznit etc.). JASRAC, oh JASRAC...

Of course! History tells us that lawsuits are the best way to combat progress and it has never backfired ever.

I'm like 75% sure Dutch copyright watchdogs have also pulled shit like this, drop by random cafes/beauty salons/gyms/whatever unannounced and threaten with fines or expensive court cases if they're playing some background music without having the rights for it...

Here it happened the same and in some places I saw notes like these: "We kindly asks the customers not to listen to the radio. The music is here for the staff only." or "The customers are not allowed to listen to the music. It's for the staff only." :'DD

It's real, I went to one of the places that had such a note on the wall.

Sign in to follow this