Sign in to follow this  
SethItari

Hello, my name is Seth

Hello everyone,

My name, or at least the one I go by, is Seth.

I'm a student and musician from Ontario, Canada. I love all sorts of Japanese music, but particularly J-Rock hence my interest in joining this community to hopefully stay current and discuss the music I love with other fans.

While I study computer science in school, with a minor in Japanese, my dream is to become a musician or composer, particularly, as unrealistic a dream as that may be for a Canadian, in the realm of J-Rock / J-Pop.
I play sing, play guitar, drums,  Saxophone, and a bit of violin which I may or may not have picked up as a result of my infatuation with TK's use of strings in tracks like Unravel.
Though I am more familiar with what I would consider "mainstream" J-Rock, I do enjoy Visual Kei bands such as The GazettE, DIV and MEJIBRAY. I get the impression a lot of you are particularly Visual Kei savvy, which is fine as I'd love to improve my knowledge of the genre, though I like that all the same I do see a lot of variety around the site and hope that you'll accept my musical openness. (I'll try not to profess my love for Nishino Kana and FLOWER  as openly to stay on topic with the rock music. Can't make any promises for Eir Aoi  and LiSA though. They rock hard enough for me.)

Welcome to MH, Seth :)

DIV and TK are awesome people :3

I hope you'll enjoy being here~

Yay, cool to see another person from Ontario. :)

I'm a pretty "mainstream" J-rock fan myself, and I've never had a problem finding things to talk about here, so I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

it's as far-fetched to dream about place in jrock/jpop as you think. I know there is at least one finnish person composing music for some j-pop labels. being an artisti shouldn't be impossible either.

anyways, welcome to MH seth!! ^^

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Looking forward to discovering new music here and conversing about great Japanese music.

7 hours ago, orange~ said:

it's as far-fetched to dream about place in jrock/jpop as you think. I know there is at least one finnish person composing music for some j-pop labels. being an artisti shouldn't be impossible either.

Well I'm hard at work improving my Japanese and my portfolio so that's the dream. Hoping I can work in Japan after I'm done school so I can be closer to that goal.

On 6/10/2016 at 10:42 PM, violetchain said:

Yay, cool to see another person from Ontario. :)

That's awesome. I gotta ask, you wouldn't happen to be a drummer too would you? Please say yes.

Also noticed you do song translations from your signature. I'll pay close attention to these! Seems like a good way to discover new music.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:45 PM, Jun_ said:

DIV and TK are awesome people

They are indeed! Though the way that's worded makes me wonder if you've met them before? I'd be quite jealous. Not really sure why since I actually know very little about him on a personal level, but I really look up to TK. I guess as a musician.

wow f*** me and my typos D:

I was meant to say:

"it's NOT as fat fetched..."

what the hell, I sound like a real ass back there XD sorry about that really.

Edited by orange~

6 hours ago, orange~ said:

"it's NOT as fat fetched..."

No worries, I knew what you meant. Though I'll admit when I read the first few words I immediately thought the same thing: "Lies, I know a Swedish person and a Canadian" (from my hometown actually). But don't worry, it was easy to tell what you mean by the context of your message.

12 hours ago, SethItari said:

That's awesome. I gotta ask, you wouldn't happen to be a drummer too would you? Please say yes.

Also noticed you do song translations from your signature. I'll pay close attention to these! Seems like a good way to discover new music.

Sadly, no, I have basically no musical talent or rhythm. I am a painter, if that helps at all? XD

I'll warn you that my Japanese is really bad - I do translations mainly to learn new vocab. I only really started posting them online because I wanted to gauge how I'm doing. I figure it's more productive than just keeping them to myself since someone who actually speaks Japanese might tell me what I'm doing wrong if they see me butchering songs by their favourite artist. :oops:

1 minute ago, violetchain said:

Sadly, no, I have basically no musical talent or rhythm. I am a painter, if that helps at all? XD

It might actually. Might commission you for album art if I need something your style, not that I know what that is. Always love to meet artists for that reason.

2 minutes ago, violetchain said:

'll warn you that my Japanese is really bad - I do translations mainly to learn new vocab.

Same here, you're probably better than me, haha.

4 hours ago, SethItari said:

No worries, I knew what you meant. Though I'll admit when I read the first few words I immediately thought the same thing: "Lies, I know a Swedish person and a Canadian" (from my hometown actually). But don't worry, it was easy to tell what you mean by the context of your message.

yea I figured you could tell from the context, but still had to make sure ^^

what kind of music do you play? or compose? It would be interesting hearing how you use your j-rock influence. I'm a guitarist myself and take some cues from VK, but in the end it's very different I guess.

1 hour ago, orange~ said:

what kind of music do you play? or compose? It would be interesting hearing how you use your j-rock influence. I'm a guitarist myself and take some cues from VK, but in the end it's very different I guess.

I want to say I compose all sorts (my next planned release has some pop in it actually, as I've been working on improving my sound production / synthesizers knowledge) but mostly rock music. If you're interested in hearing my work, I'm giving away my music free right now, the link is pinned on my twitter. It's perhaps less apparent on the demos for my band, but in my solo work, at least so far, I think I've pulled a bit more from my influences in J-Rock. I am a lot heavier on Japanese lyrics in my solo stuff too so it kinda helps bring it out, I think.

Awesome to hear you're a guitarist. Do you have anything recorded? If you have the setup for it we should jam on something sometime.

Edited by SethItari

Sign in to follow this