CAT5

The Introductory Artist/Band Mixtape Thread!

10 hours ago, crossparallel said:

1zn4f3p.jpg

Formed in 2001, MERRY are best known for playing a unique brand of retro-inspired rock, as well as their early ero-guro imagery. Throughout the years their sound has changed, drawing on blues, punk, kayoukyoku, metal, but strong songwriting, sharp lyrics and energetic live performances remain distinguishing features of the band. [God I start sounding like an advertising brochure when I try to contain my fangirling... I just think they are a beautiful band and deserve all the love in the world, okay?]

Download

01. 路地裏哀歌 [Rojiura Elegy]

02. ビニ本2丁目八千代館 [Binibon Ni-choume Yachiyokan]

03. バイオレットハレンチ [Violet Harenchi]

04. 黒い虹 [Kuroi Niji]

05. ジャパニーズモダニスト [Japanese Modernist]

06. ハライソ [Haraiso]

07. 薔薇と片隅のブルース [Bara to Katasumi no Blues]

08. さよなら雨(レイン) [Sayounara Rain]

09. 妄想rendez-vous [Mousou rendez-vous]

10. ひらひらとんでる。[Hirahira Tonderu]

11. 演説~シュールレアリズム~ [Enzetsu ~Surrealism~]

12. [human farm]

13. 不均衡キネマ [Unbalance Kinema]

14. 梟 [Fukurou]

15. 暗闇にピンク [Kurayami ni Pink]

16. Happy life
Bonus: 伊勢佐木町ブルース [Isezakichou Blues] - Aoe Mina cover

I wanna tackle MERRY again for a 2nd opinion, but I will only choose songs that weren't featured here (which kinda sucks, 'cuz . ジャパモダ, ハレンチ,  ハライソ and 梟 rule SO HARD).

But, hey, there's still plenty of great stuff. Like, the lack of 哀しみブルートレイン BOGGLES MY MIND. That is one of MERRY's greatest tracks, for me. And one I always like to introduce friends to. It sounds like MERRY heaven.

Edited by r...

4 minutes ago, r... said:

I wanna tackle MERRY again for a 2nd opinion [...] Like, the lack of 哀しみブルートレイン BOGGLES MY MIND.

Please do!  哀しみブルートレイン was actually there in an earlier version of the mixtape, narrowing it down to something of manageable length was hell. I'm not sure something like objective best-of-MERRY exists, I'm always curious what other people's favorites are, so in this case really the more the...  ops I'm not finishing this sentence.

a1d2a6ca43edf81472670a8e8ee28335.jpg

The Best of  KEEL (so far)

Active: 2013-Present

Tags: Nagoya kei, Alternative rock, bass heavy, hard rock

Duration: 29 minutes

KEEL is a Nagoya Kei super band consisting of Members: ・vocals: ryo (ex-9GOATS BLACK OUT, HOLLOWGRAM, TAG) ・guitar: aie (ex-deadman, the god and death stars, highfashionparalyze, THE MADCAP LAUGHS) ・bass: Shuu (girugamesh) ・drums: Tomoi (ex-Laputa, C4)

1.)  ニードル

2.) パレード

3.) 発火

4.) deep sleep

5.) LEM

6.) SWANS (Album ver.)

7.) 午後の射殺

8.) 禁忌

As promised a compilation of "KEEL" this is a short one because they have only 6 releases, but they're very good trust me.

Requested by @crossparallel 

I'll try to get "the god and death stars" up by Monday. Their discography is much bigger.

Edited by sume7

My pick for an introductory mixtape should be pretty obvious - but let's add some sort of interesting, nostalgizing twist there:

L'Arc~en~Ciel (or L'Arc-En-Ciel)

Spoiler

2nd long-time lineup

550px-L'Arc_-_Don't_be_Afraid_promo.jpg

1st long-time lineup

6b84911a486c76aa8619b23f023a6986.jpg

THE OTHER SIDE OF "NIJI"

genre: rainbow rock...just kidding bruh/sis just listen to them and decide idgaf about genres

Idea: since most of our MH community is sorta familiar with Laruku's HIT SONG repertoire already, I decided it would be better to delve deeper and provide some songs which are either quite overshadowed in their repertoire or bear certain degree of nostalgic value due to their "hit value" like 10 years ago in Laruku's fanbase compared to what it is today. So as the title already implies, "no hit singles, no A-sides" - just dem underrated or quite forgotten deep cuts and so on. Enjoy if you are rather curious about this "stadium powerhouse".

Tracklist:

1. A Swell in the Sun (B-side/live intro during their Ark/Ray days, "Snow Drop"-single, 1998)

2. Kuchizuke (SMILE, 2004)

3. shade of season (BUTTERFLY, 2012)

4. Entichers (DUNE, 1993)

5. Promised Land (HEART, 1998)

6. trick (Ray, 1999)

7. Inner Core (Tierra, 1994)

8. Cradle (Ark, 1999)

9. TIME SLIP (REAL, 2000)

10. I'm so happy ( "Kaze ni Kienaide" - single, B-side, 1996)

11. The Rain Leaves a Scar (Heavenly, 1995)

12. I Wish (True, 1996)

13. Yuki no Ashiato (KISS, 2007)

14. Twinkle, twinkle (AWAKE, 2005)

I want to taste the rainbow!

Edited by Alroy

merry_uv98.jpg

It's メリー, Merry, MERRY! Again.

@crossparalleldid a great job, but, since MERRY is one of my favorite bands, I wanted to give my own spin to the mixtape. It's a mix of old and new and I hope you like it. I tried to mix the more melancholic sound (which is my fav. MERRY side) and the intense punk-y shit. Had to open and close with モダンギャルド stuff, cause it's モダンギャルド, yo!

『エログロ』 と 『哀愁歌謡』

tracklist

01 - 流離ラプソディー

02 - 東京テレホン (the remastered version from MERRY VERY BEST, but, it's the original mix from はいからさんが通る。)

03 - Ve-doro

04 - オリエンタルBLサーカス 

05 -  千代田線デモクラシー

06 - finale

07 - 哀しみブルートレイン

08 - チック・タック (the original mix! the best one!)

09 - Midnight Shangrila

10 - 赤い靴

11 - 「東京に降る雪、、、」

12 - T.O.P

Length - 44:52

This band is an absolute must hear for any fan of  Nagoya kei, aie's projects, or just rock music in general. What I'm trying to say is that hearing this band literally changed my life. I would also have to say that personally I consider this to be aie's best project and what makes this even cooler is that he does vocals in this one.

ad8ebcf60d59865480b98f692c53f334.jpg

The Best of the god and death stars

Active: 2006-present

Tags: Nagoya kei, Alternative rock, shoegaze, bass heavy

Duration: 63 minutes

The god and death stars started out as a session band which was originally active between 2006.08.14 and 2007.03.27. Most of their songs have been rearranged and published in aie's later band the studs.

In August 2009, aie revived the project. Currently the usual members are kazu (ex.蜉蝣) and 大嵩潤 (rowthe), although occasionally aie also plays with other musicians such as ササブチヒロシ, 高井淳 and hati (9GOATS BLACK OUT). During the second half of 2011 they played twice as the god and death sugars and once as THE GOD feat.篤人 in 2012 with 篤人 (ex.Sugar) on drums, likewise with 亜門 (ex. KYOKUTOU GIRL FRIEND) as the god and death stars feat.亜門, also in 2012. aie also frequently performs the god and death stars songs solo under the name aie (from the god and death stars).

Current line-up:
aie - Vocals & Guitar (highfashionparalyze, THE MADCAP LAUGHS, ex-the studs, ex-deadman, ex-kein, ex-Lamiel) (2006-present)
kazu - Bass (DIMMDIVISION., STEREO.C.K, ex-蜉蝣) (2009-present)
大嵩潤 - Drums (rowthe) (2010-present)

Ex-members
ゆきの - Bass (DIMMDIVISION., ex-the studs, ex-lynch., ex-GULLET, ex-deadman, ex-kein) (2006-2007)
ヒロキ - Drums (a paindyne, ex-Miss Jelly Fish, ex-アクマヘッド/悪魔頭) (2006-2007)
ササブチ ヒロシ - Drums (ex-Plastic Tree) (2009-2010)

1.) エレファント

2.) addle apple

3.) ハートランド

4.) tonight is the night

5.) sister ripper

6.) 殆ど腐敗

7.) 半分人

8.) dawn of the god

9.) 複雑な倒立

10.) 賑やかな食卓

11.) 告発

12.) 群盲象を評す

13.) 濾過

14.) elephant in the room

15.) 焼失(new mix)

Requested by @crossparallel

On 2/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, len said:

Gosh, there's so many bands I've been wanting to listen for  while, can someone do one for Dokusatsu Terrorist and Guruguru Eigakan too?

edit.: and Rentrer en Soi...

I could do Rentrer en Soi for you, though it might take me a little while before I can get to it.

I'd just like to say that this is probably the best visual kei band of the 2010's.

435800c5038245f4b4838234b22369b5.jpg

The Best of D.I.D. (until the Day I Die)

Active: 2012-2017

Tags: Visual kei, Melodic death metal, Trance Metal, Metalcore, Electronica

Duration: 65 minutes

D.I.D. is a project of Vo.茜 Akane (ex-ポッキーげぃむ → julius → Para:noir ), Ba.翔 (Shou) (ex-ZEXER → Para:noir), and Gt.暁 (Satoshi) (ex-フィズ → レトルト → Para:noir ) . This band started with early success signing to "Danger Crue Records" and gaining enough recognition to tour with "Pay Money to my Pain" although this was canceled. But despite this early success the band also went through struggles throughout it's short career as well: member changes, hiatuses, and several medical issues. Eventually this lead to the band announcing disbandment for April 2017. They will disband later this year and will release some unreleased songs as well as an album with recording support Gt.ShinyA (ex-Signal). 

1.) Blindness=Maria

2.) the Point of No Return

3.) Providentia

4.) 心眼、そして双眼。

5.) the LIBRA

6.) if you wanna die…

7.) nihilism.

8.) Paranoid Personality

9.) THE NATURAL BORN SINNER

10.) until the Day I Die

11.) Ira

12.) W.O.D II

13.) The Virtues

14.) A Forlorn Hope

15.) the resolution(2.0.3)

Requested by: @len

Edited by sume7

Rentrer en Soi

OHP

JaME

AOAbo23.jpg

tags: visual kei, male vocalist, rock, metal

Rentrer en Soi was one of the most popular and well-known visual kei bands of the 2000's era, active from 2001-2008. They started their career as a typical vk band with elaborate costumes, but later progressed to a simpler look and included some heavier styles in their tracks. As with my previous mix, I tried to span the entirety of their career as best I could, though obviously I'm partial to my favorite songs. Satsuki's vocals are very distinct and emotional (one of my personal favorite vk vocalists); if you've liked his solo works, Rentrer en Soi is kind of like that, but with way more interesting song composition imo. I love this band so much and I cry about them a lot, so please listen to this and cry about them with me.

Tracklist:

01. 全景色腐り果てる今,唯一

02. 全景色腐り果てる今,唯一

03. 全景色腐り果てる今,.....

.....alright, just kidding. Here is the actual tracklist, and it's not just the same track on repeat for an hour, as tempting as I found that:

01. The flow of time -out of a cradle-

02. 神話 (Shinwa)

03. Wither

04. Eyes of forest

05. Last word 「 」

06. 全景色腐り果てる今,唯一 (Zenkeishiki kusari hateru ima, yuiitsu...)

07. 水夢見る蝶々 (Mizu yumemiru chouchou)

08. 太陽の届かない場所 (Taiyou no todokanai basho)

09. PROTOPLASM

10. 分裂LE+DD人格 (Bunretsu LE+DD Jinkaku)

11. 微熱下で写実した深層は宛先不明の手紙と成る (Binetsuka de shajitsu shita shinso wa atesaki fumei no tegami to naru)

12. JUST MAD PAIN

13. THORNY RAIN BREAK

14. TO INFINITY

15. CRUSADE

Runtime: 1:10:50

Link

Tags are mixed (as is rip quality), but I'm too lazy to retag everything one way or another, so just check the JaME discog if you want to change something.

requested by @len

Video:

Spoiler

Edited by ryuhime

@crossparallel @r... I'll have to give your MERRY mixes a try!

@lenI checked your Plastic Tree mix and liked how it flowed... although I made some changes: I put そしてパレードは続く at the end, as I felt it was a more appropriate way to end the mix, and I used the ネガとポジ re-recording of "hate red, dip it," since I don't really like the Chandelier version. Still though, I love the variety in this mix.

I have a GazettE mixtape in the works, 'cause who would I, notorious gaze-stan, be to not make one for this thread (lol). Sort of tempted to do another MERRY mix, except there's already two. I have a few other possible bands in mind.

@Seimeisen I would look forward to checking out your GazettE mix! I thought about them back when this thread first went up, but then... there's just way too much stuff from them, so I gave up pretty quick, lol. also people would probably give me shit because I actually like their post-DIM discog...

7 hours ago, Seimeisen said:

@crossparallel @r... I'll have to give your MERRY mixes a try!

@lenI checked your Plastic Tree mix and liked how it flowed... although I made some changes: I put そしてパレードは続く at the end, as I felt it was a more appropriate way to end the mix, and I used the ネガとポジ re-recording of "hate red, dip it," since I don't really like the Chandelier version. Still though, I love the variety in this mix.

I have a GazettE mixtape in the works, 'cause who would I, notorious gaze-stan, be to not make one for this thread (lol). Sort of tempted to do another MERRY mix, except there's already two. I have a few other possible bands in mind.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked:P

pierrot.jpg

PIERROT

One of the greatest V系 bands of all time and a personal favorite of mine. キリト and co. had an impressive run from the mid-90s up until 2006 and created some really, really good music mixing good ol' fashioned V系 from the golden era (y'know, goth rock, post-punk, metal, punk, etc.) plus industrial and electronic sounds and a ton of synths (thx 潤). Great band.

I tried to avoid listing most of their singles and selected a bunch of b-sides, which, in PIERROT's case were almost always really stong (and better than the a-sides).

Dictators Circus

01 - HAKEN KREUZ

02 - Adolf

03 - 満月に照らされた最後の言葉

04 - 脳内モルヒネ

05 - トリカゴ

06 - ICAROSS

07 - MAD SKY -鋼鉄の救世主-

08 - REBIRTH DAY

09 - SEPIA

10 - 蜘蛛の意図

Lenght = 45:24

If you enjoy this little mix, get  パンドラの匣, CELLULOID, PRIVATE ENEMY and FINALE as soon as possible. Those are the ones you DEFINETELY has to have. Have fun!

Edited by r...

22302-laputa-2zfo.jpg

Laputa

Dark, hard, melodic. A little bit of electronica later, but the same rules applied.

V系 at its finest. aki, Kouichi, Junji and Tomoi were the shit.

ALKALOID CRUNCH 

(JOY! JOY!)

tracklist

01 - ALKALOID

02 - 硝子の肖像

03 - 揺れながら・・・

04 - LOWSPIRITED

05 - Breath

06 - 太陽と蒼い月~2 Lovers~

07 - Masquerade

08 - Vertigo

09 - Silent on-looker

10 - 白昼夢~reality under the sun~

11 - 奈落の底

Lenght = 48:27

This is another one of those bands that is just impossible to create only one mixtape. But maybe others will come up with different mixes... 

The fact that there's no Jesus, an eternity, falling~, Final, 舌, eve, MONOCHROME, Blindman's Buff, Shape, etc. here makes me sad. But, if you dig this, go after 眩めく廃人, 蜉〜かげろう〜蝣, 絵〜エマダラ〜斑, 麝〜ジャコウ〜香 and 翔〜カケラ〜裸 (great starting point!) immediately.

Edited by r...

sex-android-2012_3yoko.jpg

SEX-ANDROID

People say they keep writing the same song over and over. They are right. But when your song is THAT CATCHY, you can get away with it. Well, these guys certainly can. Extremely fun rock 'n' roll band. You dig punk, rockabilly, rock 'n' roll,  and that little bit of tongue-in-cheek humor that never takes itself too seriously? Then this is just what the doctor ordered. 医者ROCK NEVER DIE!!

THE CRAZY DOCTOR SEX-ANDROID ROLLING SPECIAL

Tracklist

01 - 九十九里浜ロマネスク

02 - だって、、、バカだから

03 - 狂い咲きバーニングラブ

04 - メンタル日和

05 - 大人でポン

06 - 一番街は雨の街

07 - 高速バス

08 - スキマ産業狙イ撃チ

09 - 暴動男(と書いてライオットマン)

10 - 夏が嫌いなシャンソン人形

11 - バースデー

Lenght = 44:28

Gah, I love these guys. セクアン is awesome and I sure hope they'll come back soon. TφRU and YU-DAI said they will most definitely return. I'm counting on you, leader! A great way to start with these guys are お茶ノ間キラー, the  完売トラック1.2.3 -Mのアナログ狂い咲き- compilation and, most recently, the awesome mini 殺し屋ミルクちゃん.  Enjoy!

Edited by r...

So I've been planning on some things for a while, but until then, you're all stuck with my BORIS hype!

17308792_1483647365001903_39848190266065

Since they have a best-of, entitled "Variations," that showcases their material between 2002-2008, I have decided to make a sequel, showcasing their best between 2010-2016. This includes some of their most popular tracks, like 甘い暴動 and Vanilla, but also has a lot of really obscure, lesser-known tracks, such as Cosmos and Kemono Peak.

I was originally going to wait until further modifications, but I listen to it as-is on a regular basis, so I think it's good enough... Maybe I'll do a part two with even more varied material, such as long drone tracks, synth-drenched noise-pop, and a reggae cover they did.

Variations II: Accessible Noise

01. 甘い暴動 (aka Riot Sugar)
02. 希望 -Hope-
03. ケモノピーク (Kemono Peak)
04. 哀歌 -elegy-
05. Vanilla
06. DISCHARGE
07. 8
08. Cosmos (Pt 2)
09. Flare
10. キルミスター (Kilmister)
11. Talisman
12. 冥合 (Myougou; DEAD END cover)
13. 黒猫メロディ (Melody) 

Download: https://mega.nz/#!7o4yjLbQ!acq66XJZKA3rY4B91rtrvdzBdQo7zsb5N3c8RcEGWfQ

BORIS 冥合 > DEAD END 冥合, sue me betch

LUNA SEA 

c49cf3bec8fa40e9b4fadd4a8e690b8c.jpg

1. PRECIOUS... (from LUNA SEA (1991)).

2. DESIRE (from STYLE (1996)). 

3. STEAL (from EDEN (1993)).

4. STAY (from EDEN (1993)).

5. SEARCH FOR REASON... (from IMAGE (1992)).

6. FACE TO FACE (from MOTHER (1994)). 

7. Rouge (from A Will (2013)).

8. SHADE (from LUNA SEA (1991)).*

9. BRANCH ROAD (from LUNA SEA (1991)).

10. tonight (from Lunacy (2000)).

* re-recording of SHADE from their demo-tape "SHADE" (1989).

Pretty sure these guys don't need any introduction, but I'm also pretty sure there's a lot of people who haven't tried them out because of their huge discography. They already have best albums, and these are by no means their best songs. This is simply a compilation of LUNA SEA songs that I really like (and songs that often are overlooked of songs like dejavu, rosier etc). 

https://www.mediafire.com/?u5e94p8mbfbsx45

n6zp44Y.png

The Pillows

Every Otaku and their waifu in the world has heard of this amazing band.

Formed in Hokkaido, Japan in 1989, the Pillows' music can be best described as a cross between rock bands like The Beatles and The Ramones, as their music style has evolved significantly since their debut, and is the major reason that makes them unique in the Japanese rock scene. 

Providing their music as the soundtrack to one of the most recognized anime of all time (FLCL), The Pillows became an international sensation, touring across the globe, and becoming the gateway for many of us into Japanese Rock.

As a VERY big Pillows fan, I chose to feature tracks that allow you to feel what I felt when I first heard their music.

Hopefully this mix will interest you enough into taking a look at their epic discography.

Tracklist:

1. Wake Up! Dodo

2. I think I can

3. Tiny Boat

4. White Summer and Green Bicycle, Red Hair and Black Guitar

5. Beautiful Picture

6. Lesser (Hamster No Yuuutsu)

7. ハッピー・バースデー

8. Funny Bunny

9. ポラリスの輝き 拾わなかった夢現

10. Hybrid Rainbow

11. Pulse

12. Blue Drive Monster

13. Last Dinosaur

14. Ride on a Shooting Star

15. The Third Eye

16. トライアル

17. ムーンダスト

Download:  Link

(Some bitrates may be low, as I've collected these over the course of 15 years, so I apologize in advance)

Runtime: 72 Minutes

On 6/9/2016 at 2:29 PM, Pho said:

ハイスイノナサ

(haisuinonasa)

edf5a850955297892a5285a897f5ff2f.jpg

This band is the reason that I suggested the idea for this thread in the first place. Stylistically they're very hard to pin down, but if you think of something along the lines of math-rock and post-rock then you're on the right track. No one else really does anything quite like what they do. Their constant use of ostinatos and complex rhythms makes them sound some what mechanical, even cold at times, but that's a part of what makes their overall aesthetic so beautiful. Unfortunately their vocalist left the band earlier this year, but the band still aims to continue on after recruiting a new one.

01. mass

02. logos

03. 地図にない街

04. 通り雨

05. 水の形、面の終わり

06. in motion

07. 地下鉄の動態

08. ブラインド

09. reflection

10. ガラス

11. engine city

12. ハッピーエンド

Runtime: 47:13

All files in AAC 256kbps except track 10 (MP3 192kbps)

DOWNLOAD

Would you re-up this please?