CAT5

The Introductory Artist/Band Mixtape Thread!

Intro

Heya, everyone!

There was a discussion about creating a thread like this in the "best-of" trade-off, but since nothing ever materialized from it (and I thought it was a great idea), I took it upon myself to start one! The premise of this thread is simple - create your own best-of mixtape for any Japanese artist or band that you'd like and share them here! 

Mods can feel free to merge this thread with the other (very dead) mixtape thread, but I'd personally advise against it! The original mixtape thread was an idea that I imported from a small, private forum (I think TW/MH was on zetaboards during that time), and unfortunately, it's never proven to be a staple in this community. It's been revived time and time again, only for it die off eventually. This thread puts a slightly different spin on things, though. Unlike the other mixtape thread - which was perhaps a bit too open-ended for a community this large and relies more on a smaller, more closely-knit setting, this thread will actually serve a concrete purpose that anyone can interface with. I think it has the potential to become a resource for those who might be curious about certain bands and have no idea where to start, or for those simply looking to sample bands in a quick, efficient manner!

I can't guarantee that this thread will be of use in the long-run, but it's at least worth giving a shot! Nothing to lose in any case ; )

Alrighty, now for some general guidelines for posting your mixes!

Rules:

• Choose any artist or band as long as they're Japanese.
  • Try not to make your mixes too long. Personally, I would suggest keeping them somewhere around 10 tracks and/or 70 minutes, but go with whatever you'd like!
  • You're making a "best-of", so while you should definitely include your favs., keep in mind that members who may not know the band could try your mix. So try to include songs from a variety of the band's releases. Think of your mixtapes as introductory samplers!
  • It's perfectly fine to make mixes for artists/bands that others have already done!
  • Try to include a short description of your mix or at least include tags of some sort!
  • Have a blast sharing your favs and potentially exposing others to new stuff!

Mixtape Index:

1. Abe Fuyumi
  2. An Cafe
  3. Boris
  4. Buck-Tick
  5. Cali≠Gari I Cali≠Gari II
  6. Chiba Yusuke
  7. Clearveil
  8. D.I.D
  9. Deadman
  10. Dir En Grey
  11. Downy
  12. God and Death Stars, The
  13. Girugamesh I | Girugamesh II
  14. Guruguru Eigakan
  15. Haisuinonasa
  16. Inspire:tion
  17. Kagrra
  18. Keel
  19. Kuroyuri to Kage

20. L'arc En Ciel

21. La'cryma Christi
  22. Laputa
  23. Lazy
  24. Luna Sea
  25. Merry I | Merry II
  26. Mo'some Tonebender
  27. Mucc
  28. Nocturnal Bloodlust
  29. Penicillin
  30. Pierrot
  31. Pillows, The
  32. Plastic Tree
  33. Rentrer En Soi
  34. Sex-Android
  35. Sound Bee HD, The
  36. Spangle Call Lilli Line
  37. Strawberry Song Orchestra
  38. Ya-Foo

Will start by adding the mix I made for @saishuu in the last trade-off!

ocZAfYT.png

阿部芙蓉美 (Abe Fuyumi) BEST

tags:  singer-songwriter, indie-pop, folk, female vocals

Laid-back, airy SSW/folk-pop with some of the most gorgeous, sultry vocals from the land of the rising sun. <3

01. 革命前夜
02. さみしいときはどうしている
03. エイトビート・サッドソング
04. アンアン
05. So Much Water
06. 君とあの海
07. 8月
08. Great Dane
09. chill
10. 青春と路地

LISTEN

22 minutes ago, emmny said:

cat5 sama can you please give me ur top 10 oshare???? thx

Lmao! Yes I, reknown oshare 

connoisseur and devotee, promise to deliver you the best of the best in ancafe! 

JaidD13.jpg

Best of Inspire:tion

tags: indie, shoegaze, dreampop

Hidden gem of a band that needs more exposure for sure, plays a variety of different styles and sounds over their 10+ year career but also sadly seems to go on very long periods of Hiatus with no new music being released.

01 世界

02 モデルガン

03 Call

04 ベルリン

05 水のない川

06 the stranger music

07 下降線のラプソディー

08 paint it all green

09 mellow mellow

10 天国と地獄

11 坂道

12 spinning

13 手のひら

Right Here!

Here's my best-of from the trade-off.

5we8mp.jpg

Best of MO'SOME TONEBENDER

tags: alternative, rock, garage rock, male vocals

MO'SOME TONEBENDER is an alternative rock band from Fukuoka that's been around since 1997. They're pretty adventurous, so you can get garage rock, punk, electronica, pop, and some vaguely grungy and psychedelic stuff, all in one release. Basically, what I like most about them is that instead of narrowing in on any specific sounds over time, it seems like they're constantly struggling to find something that sticks, and they just go with whatever feels right at the time. Well, that, and they're not pretentious about it. They can get pretty silly live. (Ex. Lost in the City is performed with the bassist twirling a light saber around on stilts)

I'm more partial to their catchy and upbeat stuff, so I think my mix is a little different from what most of their fanbase would pick, but I think it's a fair starting point.

Tracklist:

1. 未来は今 (Mirai wa ima)

2. DAWN ROCK

3. FEEVEER

4. happy new year

5. Shining

6. ロッキンルーラ (Rockin' Luuula)

7. TIGER

8. hang song

9. Have you ever seen the stars? (shooting star ver.)

10. 足跡とショートホープ (Ashioto to Short Hope)

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ueo4zy640mh7c37/mb.zip

Videos:

Edited by violetchain

UPtMOl2.png

cali≠gari: Punk and Back Again

Side One: Punk Energy

01 - -187-
02 - マグロ
03 - 青春狂騒曲 ~青雲立志編~
04 - ダ・ダン・ディ・ダン・ダン
05 - ママが僕をすててパパが僕をおかした日
06 - グッド・バイ

Side Two: Back with a Vengeance
07 - 紅麗死異愛羅武勇
08 - 暗中浪漫
09 - シャ.ナ.ナ
10 - 最後の宿題
11 - マネキン
12 - さよならだけが人生さ

I tried to capture both halves of their career as best I could. Sadly only one Shuuji1 song made it on, but it's a good one. Play order is essential, as with all of my mixtapes.

Download

2 hours ago, leafwork said:

cali≠gari: Punk and Back Again

I tried to capture both halves of their career as best I could. Sadly only one Shuuji1 song made it on, but it's a good one. Play order is essential, as with all of my mixtapes.

I think I've mentioned to you, like, a million times how I've never tried them and needed to listen so Imma grab this. Thanks. leafy!  :lolita_love:

I like this idea! There have definitely been plenty of bands in the past where I think to myself, "I should try them," but they have such a huge discography that I don't know where to start. And there are definitely a couple of bands I'd like to try making mixtapes for myself; I don't know how good my mixes will come out since I don't do this very often, but maybe they will still be of use to someone.

8 minutes ago, ryuhime said:

I like this idea! There have definitely been plenty of bands in the past where I think to myself, "I should try them," but they have such a huge discography that I don't know where to start. And there are definitely a couple of bands I'd like to try making mixtapes for myself; I don't know how good my mixes will come out since I don't do this very often, but maybe they will still be of use to someone.

Yay! Glad you like the idea although we have @Pho to thank for coming up with it - I simply posted the thread! :3 

And pshh, i'm sure whatever you contribute will be fine! I want to submit some more when I get the time time!

also, made a very minor adjustment to the rules in the OP regarding the duration of mixes - although they're more or less just guidelines!/recommendations!

Strawberries in Shironuri

(ストロベリーソングオーケストラ)

b786f7f6c571425ca07f9d84006e9bdf.jpg

Tags: Angura Kei, Male Vocals, Female Vocals, REALLY large band

01 黒い日曜日

02 犯罪の証明、影を討て!

03 遠眼鏡で覗くエチュード

04  非傀儡宣言

05 切断ダリア

06 Oozora wo Ushinatta Otoko

07 ジクムント

08 鍍金のサーカス

09 僕の居た地図

10 アニマアニムス

11 鳥檻

12 胞衣の劇場

Runtime: 1:03:23

LINKU

downy

e6aa54fb4ceb4273c2b2ec3109f499fd.jpg

Dark, gloomy and melancholic post-rock from one of my personal favourite acts in Japan's indie scene. A lot of people like to compare this band to Radiohead, but personally I'd argue that their sound is far more oppressive and, for the lack of a better word, 'uncomfortable' than what Radiohead tend to produce. I originally made this mix for the best of trade-off, but now I'm sharing it here for anyone that's interested.

01. 「 」

02. 赫灼セルロイド

03. △

04. 象牙の塔

05. 「 」

06. 苒

07. 左の種

08. 春と修羅

09. 猿の手柄

10. 「 」

11. underground

12. 月

13. 椿

Runtime: 53:51

All files in AAC 256kbps

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Pho

ハイスイノナサ

(haisuinonasa)

edf5a850955297892a5285a897f5ff2f.jpg

This band is the reason that I suggested the idea for this thread in the first place. Stylistically they're very hard to pin down, but if you think of something along the lines of math-rock and post-rock then you're on the right track. No one else really does anything quite like what they do. Their constant use of ostinatos and complex rhythms makes them sound some what mechanical, even cold at times, but that's a part of what makes their overall aesthetic so beautiful. Unfortunately their vocalist left the band earlier this year, but the band still aims to continue on after recruiting a new one.

01. mass

02. logos

03. 地図にない街

04. 通り雨

05. 水の形、面の終わり

06. in motion

07. 地下鉄の動態

08. ブラインド

09. reflection

10. ガラス

11. engine city

12. ハッピーエンド

Runtime: 47:13

All files in AAC 256kbps except track 10 (MP3 192kbps)

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Pho

La'cryma Christi

OHP

JaME

9THq2xA.jpg

tags: visual kei, male vocalist, rock

La'cryma probably don't need any introduction around here, but I thought I'd make a mix for them anyway since I love them so much, and maybe there are some newer vk fans who never got around to checking them out. They were active from 1994-2007 and have reunited temporarily a few times since then. They've played with some different styles over the years, so I tried to include enough variety of tracks to get a feel for how they've progressed over their career.

Tracklist:

01. Forest

02. Ivory Trees

03. Lhasa (Unplugged)

04. With-you

05. 永遠 (Eien)

06. Fascism

07. 情熱の風 (Jounetsu no Kaze)

08. Screaming

09. Mystical Glider

10. Animism

11. DEEP SPACE SYNDICATE

12. Hot Rod Circuit

Runtime: 56:48

Link

Video:

Spoiler

Edited by ryuhime

So much stuff here already! Grabbing cali≠gari right away though since I only heard a small portion of their discography.

Here's my Best of ClearVeil mix from the trade-off:

ClearVeil-clearveil-27595457-500-266.png

tags: visual kei, male vocalist, under code production, disbanded

An indie VK band with a fairly small discography, but not to be missed from UCP if you haven't heard them yet.

1. 零~ゼロ~

2. cold prey

3. the dropping sky

4. 上弦の月

5. Secret Letter

6. A.R.S.

7. Gerbera

8. 信者ニ捧グ謳

9. OVER

10. crime

Runtime: 51:57

DL

@Pho - moar like haisuinoYASSSSSSSSSSSSa! Even tho I'm already familiar with them, I want to give those mixes a go just to hear how you've interpreted them. And listening to those bands is like having aural sex, so why not! :lolita_love:

@ryuhime - nice one! I never actually tried their albums outside of ZEUS, despite enjoying a few songs from several other albums!

LAZY (レイジー)
QlGrzbPl.jpg

Tags: 1970s bubblegum pop, bandol/idol rock, hard rock, disco, metal, anisong

I decided to go for LAZY for my artist.  After all, the Prince of Anisong got his start there, the guitarist has been featured in Western guitar magazines even to this day, and the drummer has influenced a bunch Japanese metal and early VK drummers.

LAZY were originally...
Vocals: Michell aka Kageyama Hironobu, best known for singing the first Dragonball Z opening song "Cha-la Head Cha-la" and being a member of JAM Project
Guitar: Suzy aka Takasaki Akira, best known for being the guitarist of Loudness
Bass: Funny aka Tanaka Hiroyuki, best known for being in the Anisong group, Neverland
Keyboard: Pocky aka Inoue Shunji, best known for being in the Anisong group, Neverland
Drums: Davy aka Higuchi Munetaka, best known for being the original drummer of Loudness

Since the death of Tanaka and Higuchi, they have had support members filling in such as Okuda Tamio and Saito Kazuyoshi.

Lazy was founded by five classmates from Osaka during 1977 and played hard rock style music similar to Deep Purple.  The group was quickly signed, but were forced to change their sound to bubblegum pop-rock as their label and managers wanted them to be a Japanese Bay City Rollers.  As a bubblegum act, they were highly popular and were allowed to include songs that were heavier in their follow-up albums.  By the time of the release of the 宇宙船地球号 LP, you can see the mixed directions the band wanted to go.  This resulted in the band's split. Kageyama went on to a solo career. Takasaki, Higuchi, and Tanaka went to form Loudness; however, Tanaka dropped out of the group shortly after the formation.  The group reformed in 1997 and has released several albums plus singles since then.

This was originally going to just cover their original run, but I figured I should add something that represents their current sound.  That's why the newer material are tie-ins for animes as I couldn't find anything from their 1990s/early 2000s releases.  I'm going to apologize a head of time for the horrible bitrate, these are not my rips.  I only own their material on vinyl as I am too lazy to buy the CD versions.    To reduce the runtime, I did have to remove a few "deeper cuts" from a couple of the albums, mostly from This is the Lazy and Rock Diamond. 

1. 赤頭巾ちゃん御用心 (2:51) - single, From "This is the LAZY" LP
  2. カムフラージュ (2:46) - single, From "This is the LAZY" LP
  3. 地獄の天使 (4:44) - single, From "Dream a Dream" LP
  4. フルカウント (3:09) - From "Dream a Dream" LP
  5. ハローハローハロー (3:01) - single, From "Dream a Dream" LP
  6. WE ARE STAR (4:28) - From "Rock Diamond" LP
  7. 愛には愛を (4:28) - single, From "Rock Diamond" LP
  8. Midnight Boxer (3:42) - single, From "LAZY V" LP
  9. Goin' Back To China (3:15) - Diesel cover, From "LAZY V" LP
  10. ベイビー・アイ・メイク・ア・モーション (4:01) - single, From "LAZY V" LP
  11. Dreamer (4:57) - From "宇宙船地球号" LP
  12. 感じてナイト (3:05) - single, From "宇宙船地球号" LP
  13. 星のハーティー・ロード (3:46) - single, From "宇宙船地球号" LP
  14. 感じてナイト [ULTIMATE LAZY for MAZINGER version] (4:08) - Opening #1 for Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen
  15. Reckless (4:59) - Tie-in for Towa no Quon episode 2
  • Total Runtime - 57:20

Download

Edited by Ikki

@ryuhime Whaaat!?? No Sanskrit Shower, 南国, Siam's Eye, 偏西風, Warm Snow, White Period, Zambara, Magic Theatre, THE SCENT, Blossom, カリブで生まれた月, Blueberry Rain??

The early period it's where it's at!

Well, at least you included Forest and not the shitty major re-recorded version. And ファシズム, I love that one!

Are we allowed to make new mixtapes by already posted artists? If so, I want to take another swing at La'cryma. So many great tunes!

Edited by r...

8 minutes ago, r... said:

Whaaat!?? No Sanskrit Shower, 南国, Siam's Eye, 偏西風, Warm Snow, White Period, Zambara, Magic Theatre, THE SCENT, Blossom, カリブで生まれた月, Blueberry Rain??

Yes, because I didn't want to make the mix three hours long (Magic Theatre alone is over 10 minutes) so I didn't include everything. These are personal preferences; I'm more partial to their mid-career stuff, so if you don't like it, feel free to make another as you please.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:53 AM, CAT5 said:

It's perfectly fine to make mixes for artists/bands that others have already done!

Edited by ryuhime

2 minutes ago, ryuhime said:

Yes, because I didn't want to make the mix three hours long (Magic Theatre alone is over 10 minutes) so I didn't include everything. These are personal preferences; I'm more partial to their mid-career stuff, so if you don't like it, feel free to make another as you please.

I think they deserve it! La'cryma had so many incredible songs over the years!

@r... - yeah mang, get on in there! spread da loooove~

La'cryma Christi seemed like they had a really substantial career, but I can't say that I've come across too many overseas fans of theirs in my time. Or am I wrong? @ryuhime

I remember coming across their song "PRIDE" and loving it wayyyy back in the day...probably got it from an mp3 rotation site, cuz you know, those were in back then.