Wicked Teletubby

DIR EN GREY - TOUR16-17 FROM DEPRESSION TO ________

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

they post the same stuff w/o lovely creative witticisms @ setlist.fm

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dir-en-grey/2017/zepp-nagoya-nagoya-japan-4be23372.html

Thank you for the link and sorry for the inconvenience I caused here :/

I should have deduced it was Garbage, but this time joke was a bit obscure and that confused me.

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

H O W

teach me your ways, sensei, I had no f clue before I googled setlist for that date.

Well, it was the only WtD song that wasn't named as it should be.

5 hours ago, Tokage said:

Tooru didnt die for this, fellas

What? Why would Takabayashi be dying for anything really??? 

Confusion aside, I love those skull teruteru, I'm really curious if they will prepare an extra color for the additional show?

On 9/14/2017 at 8:24 PM, AwesomeNyappy said:

Can I just say that I've seen clips on youtube, and I've never seen the band so ALIVE? Like, they are full of energy, they communicate so well with the audience, and also maybe it's just in my head, but there seems to be less tension among the bandmembers as well? I really enjoy wantching their new lives (actually I thought they were getting better again around 2013.)

Tension seemed really high during the DSS era. Not sure if it was because of the atmosphere surrounding Japan post-tsunami or if it was just the band getting tired of each other. Considering they barely even worked together in the same room during the recording of DSS, my guess is the latter? 

The absence of not playing the songs together as a band as they were writing them became really obvious once they toured behind the album. None of that shit was written with live performances in mind, hence why most DSS material doesn't work when played live. 

Can I just say that I've seen clips on youtube, and I've never seen the band so ALIVE? Like, they are full of energy, they communicate so well with the audience, and also maybe it's just in my head, but there seems to be less tension among the bandmembers as well? I really enjoy wantching their new lives (actually I thought they were getting better again around 2013.)

Tension seemed really high during the DSS era. Not sure if it was because of the atmosphere surrounding Japan post-tsunami or if it was just the band getting tired of each other. Considering they barely even worked together in the same room during the recording of DSS, my guess is the latter? 

The absence of not playing the songs together as a band as they were writing them became really obvious once they toured behind the album. None of that shit was written with live performances in mind, hence why most DSS material doesn't work when played live. 

6 hours ago, rekzer said:

Do they have anything planned after this tour?

They'll release best album this winter.

Edited by EvilHippy

On 9/17/2017 at 7:56 AM, Saishu said:

I'm not entirely sure what it could be; but there was a period when Dir en grey -- a few years ago -- were talking about *simplifying* their songwriting process and getting into the studio to jam with each other more.

It feels like Dum Spiro Spero was written entirely in the studio in such a way that they were actually still unfamiliar with the songs when it came time to tour them -- which explains why it took the band so long to get a lot of the DSS songs in working order, and why much of the album still sounds awful live. During their recording sessions they would record alone, play the songs alone, and they almost NEVER -- as far as we know -- played these songs together consistently to actually get to know them, and live with them for a while before going into the studio. Maybe this was a reflection of what you described, marking a difficult time for the band.

@rekzerIt feels strange that there are no plans after 2 years of constant touring. There are not even events / festivals they are playing at... 

There might be some kind of announcement at Shinkiba or Zepp Tokyo, but I guess they might focus on recording over winter?

Kaoru said that b4 the ARCHE budokan show, while in the US they were gonna do Budokan, go right back in the studio to record new music and hit the states again.

Only part of that has happened. Budokan happened and then Utafumi. I guess they realized it was their anniversary so they've just been doing the FROM tours but I do suspect that they'll be hitting the states soon? How many more albums do they have left to celebrate after this?