Wicked Teletubby

DIR EN GREY - TOUR16-17 FROM DEPRESSION TO ________

It sounds a bit like a problem of dir not meeting your personal political view even though they don't have a political view as a band.

They have an art director and staff who work on the videos prepared for the shows, so you're firing your gun in the wrong direction anyway.

The whole stage was brilliant, how they've made everything work together, music with background videos, lights etc. It was a feast for the eyes and ears live, I bet it will be a feast while watching it at home in autumn as well :)

I'm pretty sure that foreign fanbase is an afterthought at best. 

That said though, I attended the entire tour and didn't see one single of the many Chinese people present break out in tears, rip their Dir shirts to shreds or try to suicide bomb the venue. I didn't see a single overtly supremacist statement or controversial point beyond a very mainstream "free tibet" deal which makes sense based on their Buddhist backgrounds. It's about as dangerous and edgy as wanting to free Syria from ISIS.  I think it's safe to say these "problems" mostly exist in your head, and to be frank you present them in such a convoluted way that I think most people aren't even sure of what you're trying to say.

Let that be an end to this for now, we don't need any "Dir en grey are supremacists" discussions based on hearsay.

oh god so that's what people were talking about.

What makes kaoru's hair look especially bad is that it looks burnt, like aggressively bleached and then straightened with two hot spoons. Awful

die did high fashion kamijo like wow what a majestic french aristocratic mane

kaoru looks like a member of coldrain or something lmfao

On 8/6/2017 at 9:18 AM, Carmelzors said:

Not just that tbh (read her reports further).

I am criticizing their use of sensitive, more likely antagonizing topics (e.g. their shtick subject, abortion, is also sensitive but it is not aimed to antagonize on a national/country basis).

Kyo has been talking about abortion? What did he say?

On 2017/8/7 at 1:46 AM, Saishu said:

Artists use their preferred medium to present thought provoking/evocative/controversial/whatever messages all the time. Kyo & Co. aren't the first and they certainly won't be the last. And considering this is the same band with the vocalist that promised to one day fuck our parents as well as rape our daughters on our graves, I REALLY don't think they're concerned with offending anyone. 

Also, if they were worried about killing off their fan base, they never would have recorded DSS. 

Agreed. When has Dir not used shock value as a major part of their gimmick..?

I haven't looked at a ton of their lyrics in recent years, but I can't imagine they're any worse or more triggering than some of the stuff Kyo wrote during the Gauze/Macabre/Kisou/Vulgar eras.

I personally think they went a little far with whatever song has the video with the kids torturing and killing their parents (no idea if it's a PV or a live-only video), but they have a lot of stuff that other people would probably find just as/more shocking.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:00 AM, WhirlingBlack said:

I'm pretty sure that foreign fanbase is an afterthought at best. 

That said though, I attended the entire tour and didn't see one single of the many Chinese people present break out in tears, rip their Dir shirts to shreds or try to suicide bomb the venue. I didn't see a single overtly supremacist statement or controversial point beyond a very mainstream "free tibet" deal which makes sense based on their Buddhist backgrounds. It's about as dangerous and edgy as wanting to free Syria from ISIS.  I think it's safe to say these "problems" mostly exist in your head, and to be frank you present them in such a convoluted way that I think most people aren't even sure of what you're trying to say.

Let that be an end to this for now, we don't need any "Dir en grey are supremacists" discussions based on hearsay.

Well, taking into account how oversensitive Chinese people are (and in that issue even more), that could be the "end" of their career in mainland China (eventhough not sure if they have a career over here, apart from a couple of gigs)...as example, Placebo were supposed to play in a Chinese music festival in Shanghai this summer (as part of the Chinese branch of Summer Sonic...along with Luna Sea among others) but they got banned for life from China for posting a Lama picture with a quote in Instagram...

10 hours ago, jaymee said:

Agreed. When has Dir not used shock value as a major part of their gimmick..?

I haven't looked at a ton of their lyrics in recent years, but I can't imagine they're any worse or more triggering than some of the stuff Kyo wrote during the Gauze/Macabre/Kisou/Vulgar eras.

I personally think they went a little far with whatever song has the video with the kids torturing and killing their parents (no idea if it's a PV or a live-only video), but they have a lot of stuff that other people would probably find just as/more shocking.

The PV for Revelation of Mankind? I believe that was a continuation of the Saku/Kodou storyline, and the PV implied that the parents were abusive. I think the PV for Obscure was worse though. Also doesn't help that Obscure is almost always the one used in reaction videos because "WOW SO SHOCKING!"

On 2017/8/15 at 8:22 AM, Saishu said:

The PV for Revelation of Mankind? I believe that was a continuation of the Saku/Kodou storyline, and the PV implied that the parents were abusive. I think the PV for Obscure was worse though. Also doesn't help that Obscure is almost always the one used in reaction videos because "WOW SO SHOCKING!"

Perhaps! I'm too lazy to check YouTube.

Ah, I wasn't aware. Obscure had a censored and non-censored version, yeah? When I was into DEG the non-censored was less accessible. I feel like I would have found a lot of their stuff in the past more shocking had the special effects been better. Like... imagine Cage with modern special effects or Raison d'être. Or something like Myaku. It would be a pretty disturbing horror video for sure.

honestly, with their apparent PV budget you'd most likely just end up with something like the Red Soil PV or the new ZAN (aka pure green screen hell), so i don't think it would come anywhere close to disturbing unless you're the type who shits themselves bc of shitty application of cg lol

On 14/08/2017 at 1:43 PM, geist said:

Kyo has been talking about abortion? What did he say?

It's been a repeated motif since GAUZE (possibly earlier, not sure). The mazohyst of decadence video is overtly about abortion. OBSCURE is probably the most well-known example.

Also, as for PV budget, you can make some really disturbing stuff with almost no money. It just needs the right director, storyboard, and application of resources. DEG videos have been lazy as heck for ages.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

they could at least end up with something fun if they'd hire like... screaming mad george or something 

11 hours ago, Tokage said:

they could at least end up with something fun if they'd hire like... screaming mad george or something 

Dir en grey has a strict "no fun allowed" policy. Please enjoy your stay.

Edited by geist

On 6.8.2017 at 6:46 PM, Saishu said:

Artists use their preferred medium to present thought provoking/evocative/controversial/whatever messages all the time. Kyo & Co. aren't the first and they certainly won't be the last. And considering this is the same band with the vocalist that promised to one day fuck our parents as well as rape our daughters on our graves, I REALLY don't think they're concerned with offending anyone.

That made me laugh because even as a 15 year old, me and my best friend always giggled about the lyrics of Clever Sleazoid because they were just absolutely over the top and ridiculous.

A lot of people mentioned here that they "don't really care" or "just want to be edgy". I think that is the main problem here. I often get the feeling that Kyo sings about things he cannot understand, and about topics that are critical just for the sake of being edgy. I find that problematic.

But, hey, I'm a fan of Rammstein as well, so obviously I'm not too concerened with bands just wanting to shock people with their lyrics.

It's 4 days to the start of the last leg of this tour, but there is still no merch information??? Is their office on (extended) summer vacation?

On 25.8.2017 at 1:05 PM, Saishu said:

Well keep in mind that was also when DEG was trying to branch out in the West, so Kyo was writing a lot of mostly awful English lyrics. 

Ohhhhh yes. Agreed. Still, I mean, I guess he probably wrote them in Japanese and someone translated them for him (?), so he knew what they meant. The English lyrics on The Marrow of a Bone were mostly hilarious because a) their meaning and b ) his accent. It makes me cringe so hard XD

Funnily enough, his German sounded quite good in Schwein no isu back in the day.

35 minutes ago, hotcocoa said:

It's 4 days to the start of the last leg of this tour, but there is still no merch information??? Is their office on (extended) summer vacation?

So many bands wait until the last minute recently. Really shitty if you're ensei-ing and trying to figure out what time you need to arrive by to line up for buppan/how much cash you need to prepare. (Or like am I going to shink it or do I need to allocate that money to buppan? lol)

I have no idea what they're waiting for tbh. 

Edited by jaymee