Wicked Teletubby

DIR EN GREY - TOUR16-17 FROM DEPRESSION TO ________

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

It's been a while since they last performed several new songs without any official studio recordings announced/official previews being released, hasn't it?

Uroboros era was the last one I think (Stuck Man, Toguro) - and as in the present day, we still *KNOW* that the album is supposed to be out in months (not a year lol) or so

Edited by Alroy

On 11/11/2016 at 4:46 AM, Ro plz said:

Seems like it...

because the first new song was supposedly violent....

Holy shit

what is going on??

Yeah, I was at one of the Namba Hatch shows and I feared the new song being a ballad because it seems like this is all going to end soon, but when it was heavy as fuck, I instantly cheered up. Now there's ANOTHER new song and it is a ballad ... hmm.

The thing that makes dir en grey so great is their extensive catalog of varying styles over the years. Whatever your mood it's easy to find something to listen to. Also I'm hoping for a new album by fall. Maybe sooner!?

2 hours ago, Saishu said:

Remember when Stuck Man was called Third Time's The Trick?

We all do

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7716125

Also, shocked reactions when there were notes about Dir pulling out "softie stuff" during their later Marrow leg (which turned out to be - quelle surprise - Glass skin!)

And what else is remarkable: these new songs will NOT BE leftovers for sure - let's not forget that they used to have a lot of early singles for their albums churned out from leftover demos of their earlier album sessions - take say, Myaku,  THE FINAL,  Clever Sleazoid, Dozing Green (demo version), Hageshisa (yet to be confirmed though)...

Edited by Alroy

2016/11/13 【北海道】 Zepp Sapporo

01. *New Intro
02. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
03. ZOMBOID
04. 詩踏み / Utafumi
05. Undecided (old ver.)
06. Bottom Of The Death Valley
07. 鱗 / Uroko
08. Embryo (old ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. 24個シリンダー / 24 Ko Shirindaa
12. 逆上堪能ケロイドミルク / Gyakujou Tannou Keroido Miruku
13. FILTH
14. HADES
15. Un Deux
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. ピンクキラー / Pinku Kiraa
18. The Domestic Fucker Family
19. Umbrella
20. Sustain The Untruth
21. JESSICA

Edited by Wicked Teletubby

On 29/10/2016 at 0:26 AM, Wicked Teletubby said:

here we go.

TOUR16-17 FROM DEPRESSION TO ________ [mode of 鬼葬] 香港公演

2016/10/28 KITEC, Rotunda Hall 3, HONG KONG

01. *New Intro
02. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
03. ZOMBOID
04. Chain Repulsion
05. Sustain The Untruth
06. 鱗 / Uroko
07. 24個シリンダー / 24 Ko Shirindaa
08. Bottom Of The Death Valley
09. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
10. 鴉 / Karasu
11. 逆上堪能ケロイドミルク / Gyakujou Tannou Keroido Miruku
12. Mr.NEWSMAN
13. The Domestic Fucker Family
14. FILTH
    Encore
15. G.D.S.
16. JESSICA
17. Umbrella
18. 詩踏み / Utafumi
19. Un Deux

I went there, It was a great night. :)

2016/11/17 【香川県】 サンポートホール高松 大ホール

01. *New Intro
02. 逆上堪能ケロイドミルク / Gyakujou Tannou Keroido Miruku
03. FILTH
04. The Domestic Fucker Family
05. 24個シリンダー
06. 懐春 / Kaishun
07. 鱗 / Uroko
08. Embryo (Album Ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. Undecided (Old Ver.)
12. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
13. ZOMBOID
14. Un Deux
15. Sustain The Untruth
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. Mr.NEWSMAN
18. 詩踏み / Utafumi
19. HADES
20. Umbrella
21. JESSICA

I presume Embryo's "old ver" = the single version and is not just the random interchanging thing with "album ver.", no? Must be fun to hear Kyo changing non-improvised lyrics interchangeably between those shows lol.

2016/11/20 【福岡県】 福岡国際会議場 メインホール

01. *New Intro
02. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
03. ZOMBOID
04. 詩踏み / Utafumi
05. Undecided (old ver.)
06. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
07. Cause Of Fickleness
08. Embryo (old ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. 24個シリンダー
12. 鴉 / Karasu
13. FILTH
14. Ugly
15. Un Deux
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. Mr.NEWSMAN
19. Umbrella
20. Sustain The Untruth
21. JESSICA

Ugly is back!

I don't know if it's the right place for it, or if it’s ok to share it here, but...

TOUR16-17 from depression to ________ [mode of Kisou] Report from todays live

Every word unspoken, every thought left and buried. These are the words I couldn't say. The Words You Can't Hear.

DIR EN GREY
From Depression to ________ [Mode of Kisou]

Fukuoka International Congress Centre
11/20/2016

Tonight’s concert, I’d say, is one of the best performances of the band, technically, in my humble opinion. Kyo was super spot on in all songs. Low registers, high notes all perfectly executed.

This is gonna be long. Read and be bored. 😅

I saw all of the members from my seat since the venue has a slope like set up. It was a struggle to watch them because everyone demands for attention. So painful.

We started with Kigan and Kyo was playful from the onset. In Zomboid, the intro was played with a spotlight on Shinya. It was divine how he played them drums! 😍 In most songs the background was the purgatory-like image. It must be some painting?

The first 3 songs, lighting was intricately scheduled. There were no background screens. In the break between Utafumi and Undecided, Kyo sat just at the edge of Shinya’s drumset - where he normally places his bottled water and towel. Kaoru was the last to come back and they played a medley of slow songs. It’s wonderful. I have no words because it seems they arranged the setlist this way. It’s painfully heartbreaking and all perfectly played by the band.

Kyo has embraced the lyrics of Kisou and his singing, I’d say, was much more felt than when I watched them in Kawasaki.

Undecided was again played with a spotlight on Die during the intro. Ah Die was sitting on a high chair in 3 songs if I’m not mistaken.
There was one part of the song when Toshiya stared at Kaoru as he played. Call me crazy but that’s how it looked to me. I really adore Kyo’s performance in Undecided because he sang it exactly as the same arrangement in the album - so perfectly in tune. The image in the background was that of burning letters or pictures?

Rinkaku followed and DAMN THIS IS THE MOST PERFECT PERFORMANCE OF THE SONG THAT IVE SEEN LIVE! I was teary eyed by the end of the song. Shinya, Die, Kaoru, Toshiya were all lost in their instruments like never before - it was truly stunning! Kyo sang it perfectly oh my goodness… I can see them all in my head and I’m speechless. If only I could bottle that performance and keep it forever…
Kaoru mouthed the lyrics during the last verse and it was so obvious how emotional he was in the song. Rinkaku… you’re so perfect. The band’s chaos is just so beautiful in this song. 😭

Cause of fickleness! Kyo’s signature dance move! He literally was instructing us to move like he does aaarrghhhhh I CANNOT HANDLE THE CUTEEEE! Shinya’s songs in tonight’s live are too powerful I just cannot! Hmm… the background in this was the lyrics.

In between Cause and Embryo, while waiting for Totchi, Die and Kaoru to come back, Kyo was kneeling down at the edge of Shinya’s drum set. Hehe. Already tired, Kyo-chan? Lol.

Embryo. As usual Totchi had his pick in between his lips during the verses. Kyo was gyrating ever so slightly in this song. What a tease.
Kyo sang this perfectly. No mistakes in the lyrics this time haha. I believe Die was sitting in a high chair during this song. Hmmm yeah, he was. Ah the background here is a constellation that forms an image of an unborn baby.

I waited for Totchi to throw the pick after the song but he didn’t. The next song was Mushi. Totchi was throwing glances at Kaoru during the latter’s guitar solo towards the end. Again, I know I’m crazy. Maybe unless Totchi was looking at someone beyond Kaoru? Hmmm…
Kyo sang this song so painfully. I thought he would just drop dead on the floor and cry. He was too lost in the song - it was heartbreaking. In the end he said “生きて” while he was slumped on the floor. 😭😭😭

New song. The more I hear it, the more I hear Kasumi. And now I cannot unhear “Ranunculus”. It has grown in me, this song. Is it Kaoru’s? The lighting in this song was gorgeous. Purple and Blue (uhuh… uhuh… yes, i’m reading into this. So what?!). And in the final chorus it turned purple and yellow? Or brown? Ugh. Colorblind me. I believe it was after this song that Toshiya unceremoniously threw his pick - in the darkness.

It was my first time to hear 24 Shirinda live and it was so powerful. Die was the one backing up on “Give me love, give me pain, give me…”
Totchi’s basslines here reverberated in the whole hall oh my goodness.😍
Background was red things-something ugh I can’t remember.

Karasu - Totchi was on fire. My eyes were glued on him in this song. He used his mic stand as an effect to the song just like in In Situ though not as sexy. He was almost kneeling on the floor as he played this song. Soooooo intense!!!

I LOST ALL SENSE WHEN THEY STARTED PLAYING UGLY. Ugly is like one of my most fave songs and I’ve been praying that they play this song live so I can headbang to it like there’s no tomorrow. And that I did. “DIEEEE!!!!”
This song is super intense it should be in every live. REALLYYYY!!!! THE BASS SOLO, THE GUITAR RIFFS, THE SWEET OH SWEET DRUM BEATS AAAHHH IM TRULY IN LOVE.

Un deux - same background as usual (tower? Church?) Totchi was particularly jumpy in this song.

Encore. Except for Kaoru, the rest were wearing merch/con goods. Die and Shinya wearing the dolman t-shirt. Totchi and Kyo wearing long sleeved top. Toshiya wasn’t wearing neck harness this time. Only Shinya - which he later threw to the crowd (and was retrieved by a girl wearing a dress who dove to the stairs - who said you can’t dive when you wear short skimpy dress? Hmm. That girl. Respect to fangirls INCREASED!).

Domestic fucker family - indeed the lyrics were flashed on screen. I wasn’t dreaming the last time haha.

Umbrella - i so love umbrella. Kyo was motioning the crowd to jump and move their hands in sequence it was soooo cute (during Miss girl very fond of child).

What else…

- Totchi looks so genuinely happy. So giggly, so smiley. It’s like everything we do, he’d laugh and giggle like a little boy/girl!
- Kaoru soooo pouty and only half of his mouth was drawn with black ink (does that make sense? Lol!). He was competing with Toshiya on the crab dance in many of the songs. His feet apart almost all of the time just like Totchi and damn he mouths the lyrics when he’s so into the song! He waa also very close to the crowd, he kept on stepping on the ledge to rile them up.
- Kaoru, after the encore, agaaaiiin teased the crowd when he was throwing his picks away. He was telling the fans to put their hands together like asking for alms before he’d throw the picks. What a bully! 😂😂😂
- Shinya wore the pink killer shirt during encore and when he drums away, the shirt falls off his shoulders. 😵 i love it. So sexy.
- There were 3 songs in which Die and Totchi (and Kaoru at one point) were hovering on Shinya’s area. And Totchi was so giggly like there’s an inside joke or something.
- Bass guitar trouble. Can’t remember which song but Totchi’s bass malfunctioned and his tech ran to him with a replacement guitar while gesturing NG. Totchi was shocked and looked disappointed (poor boy, ehm man) as he tried to follow on the song.
- Kyooooo!!! He sneakily went again to Kaoru’s side and was making faces and gesturing his fingers with a poking motion! Kaoru was so deep in his guitar playing and when he heard us all laughing he looked at Kyo and Kyo just innocently walked away (since he really didn’t do anything!!! Haha!).
- Kyo’s next victim was Die and he did his poking gestures from behind Die and once again walked away innocently when Die realized there was someone behind him.
- Totchi was a bouncing baby boy again. Literally. He bounced from his ledge to Kyo’s ledge (oh those long legs I wish I could capture that long leeeaaaappp moment!). He was also jumping around in Un Deux’s chorus literally jumping 360 degrees, like a crab leaping lol. He was so adorable!
- After the customary throwing of almost everything they have, Toshiya who was standing on Kyo’s ledge, stepped down and when we all thought he was gonna walk out of the stage, HE TOOK HIS SHIRT OFF. JUST LIKE THAT. I thought I wouldn’t hear the end of screaming. Even the guy beside me reacted because it was just too sudden, too unexpected? We, our precious eyes were once again graced by the washboard abs of manly Toshiya. I can never get used to it. I just can’t. I wish I can turn it off but man, he’s soooo attractive! Particularly tonight he was so unguarded, so relaxed, so… playfully calm. I soooo envy whoever he ends up with (not that I’m wishing to be the one haha! I’m on Kaoru’s side forevaaah!).

All right, that I guess ends my almost endless ramblings. Forgive the fangirl in me. I do this and write forever because I want to commit what I experienced to something I can read in the future. I have a memory of a goldfish. Pffft.

Setlist - hope it’s correct! I haven’t checked Twitter yet.

01 SE
02 Kigan
03 Zomboid
04 Utafumi
05 Undecided
06 Rinkaku
07 Cause of fickleness
08 Embryo
09 Mushi
10 New song
11 24 Shirinda
12 Karasu
13 Filth
14 Ugly
15 Un deux

Encore
EN01 GDS
EN02 Mr. Newsman
EN03 Domestic Fucker Family
EN04 Umbrella
EN05 Sustain the untruth
EN 06 Jessica

http://theghostinmyroom.tumblr.com/post/153428826754/dir-en-grey-from-depression-to-mode-of

Edited by toto

Disturbed by the lack of pink killer in these last two sets. I know it will at least be back for the two day shows but it deserves to be on all of them. Also I don't mind ugly but hades and umbrella is superior. 

9/10 worst setlist of the tour so far. Got my first gig tomorrow, just arrived in Japan a few hours ago.

thanks a bunch, toto. that is a really nice review. also following your Tumboner blog. :)

meanwhile, the band has finished another show.

2016/11/22 【愛知県】 名古屋市公会堂

01. *New Intro
02. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
03. ZOMBOID
04. 詩踏み / Utafumi
05. Undecided (old ver.)
06. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
07. Chain Repulsion
08. Embryo (old ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. 24個シリンダー
12. 鴉 / Karasu
13. FILTH
14. HADES
15. Un Deux
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. ピンクキラー / Pinku Kiraa
19. Umbrella
20. Sustain The Untruth
21. JESSICA

2016/11/23 【滋賀県】 滋賀県立芸術劇場びわ湖ホール 大ホール

01. *New Intro
03. FILTH
05. Bottom Of The Death Valley
06. 24個シリンダー
07. 鱗 / Uroko
08. Embryo (Album Ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. Undecided (Old Ver.)
12. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
13. ZOMBOID
14. Un Deux
15. Sustain The Untruth
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. Mr.NEWSMAN
18. 詩踏み / Utafumi
19. Ugly
20. Umbrella
21. JESSICA

The first two shows I attended were both "seated" lives, I say seated because in Japan people always stand in their seat spot as soon as the live starts until it ends. Some quick notes:

The whole band is performing on top of their game, but Kyo especially seems to be so comfortable and happy, I've never quite seen him jump around and smile and dance and have fun with the other band members in this way. Before the last song today he unexpectedly forced Shinya to talk to the audience while he was doubling over laughing at Shinya trying to rile up the crowd for the last song, doing a understandably stiff impression compared to Kyos usual style. In the show yesterday he was poking Die from behind during either Jessica or umbrella as well.

Certain songs stand out more than other, the new track is very good, a heavy ballad with piano that runs throughout the song and some electronic influences here and there. Kigan and Pink Killer are absolute beasts, so much raw energy and power there, even more than their recent material despite it being ostensibly "heavier". FILTH and ZOMBOID have a lot of audience participation, such as making the audience sing the entire chorus of FILTH and similar. and despite that the lyrics during the verses are changed for ZOMBOID it doesn't feel out of place. 

To be honest, the only downside with this tour so far is the decision to have the shows seated, and the fact that they still feel the need to play Sustain the Untruth. I've seen it a billion times already, please stop. But that's nitpicking really, once the Hatch shows rolls around I'm sure things will reach perfection if the band keeps performing at this level.

2016/11/26 【大阪府】 なんばHatch

01. *New Intro
02. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
03. ZOMBOID
04. 詩踏み / Utafumi
05. Bottom Of The Death Valley
06. Undecided
07. Chain Repulsion
08. Embryo (old ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. 24個シリンダー
12. 鴉 / Karasu
13. FILTH
14. HADES
15. Un Deux
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. ピンクキラー / Pinku Kiraa
19. Umbrella
20. Sustain The Untruth
21. JESSICA

Kyo fucked up the intro for Umbrella forcing the band to start the song over.

Kyo started singing too early and got out of rythm, and since he couldn't find his way back smoothly he turned around to the other guys and started waving his arms at them signalling them to stop playing. Then he sort of laughed it off a bit with the rest of us and we gave him an applause for... being a good sport I guess? It's fun when something unexpected happens and Kyo says something out of the ordinary as well, just makes him a bit more human.

Either way, best show of the tour so far for me, Osaka always delivers and finally some standing shows so I can be in the middle of all the mayhem and bask in the glory of organized chaos. Setlist was great and the remaining songs will be played tomorrow. I doubt there will be any surprises at this stage of the tour but there really doesn't have to be any as far as I'm concerned. 

2016/11/27 【大阪府】 なんばHatch

01. *New Intro
03. FILTH
05. 24個シリンダー
06. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
07. 鱗 / Uroko
08. Embryo (Album Ver.)
09. 蟲 -Mushi-
10. *New Song
11. Undecided (Old Ver.)
12. 鬼眼 -Kigan-
13. ZOMBOID
14. Un Deux
15. Sustain The Untruth
    Encore
16. G.D.S.
17. Mr.NEWSMAN
18. ピンクキラー / Pinku Kiraa
19. 詩踏み / Utafumi
20. Umbrella
21. JESSICA

only two more shows at SHINKIBA STUDIO COAST left, both being additional ones.
then, ROTTENGRAFFTY event on Christmas and off to 2017.