Zeus

7 Great J-Rock Riffs

7 Great J-Rock Riffs #1  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What riffs are you diggin'?

• HaKU - gravity
    • girugämesh - patchwork
    • Luna Sea - Storm
    • MIYAVI - Selfish love –愛してくれ、愛してるから– (Selfish love -aishitekure, aishiterukara-)
    • L'Arc~en~Ciel - HEAVEN'S DRIVE
    • RADWIMPS - 会心の一撃
    • deadman - 盲目の羽根と星を手に (moumoku no hane to hoshi wo te ni)

tumblr_o6xmf9gj0P1rfey86o1_1280.png

Here's some great riffs we've been digging recently

HaKU - gravity

Maybe this is just a personal definition, but for me, J-Rock refers to a special brand of rock made in Japan, just like J-Pop is a pretty distinct from Western conventions of pop music. Indie bands like 凛として時雨 (Ling tosite sigure) were trailblazers of a fresh new brand J-Rock that eschews typical genre classification; let’s just say they’re something you’d be hard-pressed to find an equivalent of in the West. Having said that, my choice today is from a different band! My absolute favorite song in this frenetic style of technical indie rock is HaKU’s “Gravity” from their superb digitized Grisaille mini-album in 2011. From the first note, the riffs are a hi-octane burst, sure to get your heart pumping, rushing over you like a gust of solar wind. My interest in HaKU may have dwindled over the years, but “Gravity” still rocks!

@fitear1590

girugämesh - patchwork

Not too many songs can instantly take me back to 2007 like 'patchwork' can. One meaty guitar riff forms the core of this three minute nu-metal beast, but there are lots of layers to this particular song which are easy to miss if you head bang too furiously. For starters, the song is all about contrast. The lyrics are depressing - which is a given - but the magic lies in how well vocalist Satoshi both complements and contrasts with the aggression and fury of the guitarists. Then there's the ebb and flow of the song, which does a good job imitating how waves of anger and jealousy possesses a person. Obligatory mention of the kick-ass riff and breakdown and I think I've hit all the reasons why this song kicks off their self-titled album. It's even more massive live, with the cut from their LIVE BEST release featuring additional synth and guitar lines for more complexity! Listen closely and you can even catch Tatsurou from MUCC lending his harsh vocals during the chorus as a guest feature. 'patchwork' is one of girugämesh's most recognizable songs and needs a spot on this list somewhere.

@Zeus

Luna Sea - Storm

It's just one of those quintessential J-Rock songs that has a simple, yet kickass riff (those crazy guitar effects!), and a killer solo. Like most Luna Sea songs, this isn't an overly complicated melody, but one which is instantly recognisable. A J-Rock classic.

@nullmoon

MIYAVI - "Selfish love –愛してくれ、愛してるから– (Selfish love -aishitekure, aishiterukara-)"

I don't think this list could be complete without the famous neo-visual samurai guitarist himself. Miyavi has always had a penchant for catchy riffs and they serve as the backbone of his early solo work before he began to experiment with hip hop and synth influences. One of my favorite examples of his guitar prowess is "Selfish Love". The guitar riff is so distinct and so front-and-center it showcased Miyavi as much more than your standard visual rock artist. Miyavi has surpassed his visual roots these days but I think songs like this prove he's always been a student of the blues and his guitar licks are sharper than any katana when he's at his best. 

@doombox

L'Arc~en~Ciel - HEAVEN'S DRIVE

L'Arc~en~Ciel may have many memorable songs in their repertoire but HEAVEN'S DRIVE is a particular song that sticks out especially when it comes to a strong riff. This fast paced energetic song sounds so sweet and catchy. When the song starts you're thrown into an amazing stand out riff that is hard to forget especially since the bass line helps bring it out and gets it stuck into your head. Especially when ken throws in some of his signature guitar solos in-between supporting the main riff of the song which gives the song most of it's life. 

@tetsu_sama69

RADWIMPS - 会心の一撃

RADWIMPS don't get full marks for just their beautiful lyrics and masterful ballads, but they also have plenty of amazing high energy rockers: just take "会心の一撃 (Kaishin No Ichigeki)" as a perfect example for the latter! Being one of my all time favourite tracks within RADWIMPS' discography and the J-rock scene overall, "会心の一撃 (Kaishin No Ichigeki)" does everything we love about RADWIMPS: entertaining story telling, abstract yet poetic lines, and an unforgettable musical journey. At the two minute, seventeen seconds mark, we're bombarded with what is some of the most memorable, fierce strings to ever grace your unsuspecting ears. For someone as myself who pays most of my attention at the vocal work, it was the riffs that really stood out to me when it came to "会心の一撃 {Kaishin No Ichigeki}". Alongside Noda's signature spoken lyric delivery, it's a match made in heaven that seems to end all too soon due to its speedy run, and the consistency of the chugging throughout the tune is gripping, very fitting to its visually stimulating sport game as the PV. I assure you, this isn't a song you'll be forgetting about any time soon.  It's bloody marvelous live as well!

@beni

deadman - 盲目の羽根と星を手に (moumoku no hane to hoshi wo te ni)

It's really no secret that I'm a massive deadman (and aie) fan, but choosing their work for a great j-rock riff list is a bit of an odd choice. There's nothing classic, catchy, flashy or technical about aie's guitar work, but what he lacks in technicality, he compensates for with his incredibly unique and mesmerizing style. aie combines a heavy grunge, alt-rock and punk leaning with a sprinkle of jazzyness, all topped with an oddly ugly, lightly-distorted, treble-heavy sound. The resulting sound is mechanical and robust, but the chords that come out of his signature Telecaster add all the flavour. This dichotomy is particularly strong in "Moumoku". Its opened by a fragile yet dissonant arpeggio, before entering a typical aie-style jazzy power-chord sequence. The real kicker comes in the middle, with another variation on the arpeggio from the intro used during a break while all other instrumentation cuts out. The lyrics to "Moumoku" are quite depressing, with Mako's bleak writing and imagery coming to the forefront. aie's playing mirrors the sentiment laid out by Mako; the notes during the break ring out into a void and the harmonics sound like a cracking voice. The technical guitar-stuff is one thing, but the way the guitar fits in and reflects the mood of the song is what makes it all so special.

@emmny

:3 Thanks for reading! :3

7 hours ago, Vercingetorix said:

That MIYAVI intro alone nukes just about everything else on here. 

I personally don't enjoy listening to miyavi, but I will give him his dues for this work. Perhaps one day I will give him another listen.

deadman - 盲目の羽根と星を手に is always going to be the one track that hits home for me.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

I personally don't enjoy listening to miyavi, but I will give him his dues for this work. Perhaps one day I will give him another listen.

Obviously it depends on what song(s)/album(s) of his you listened to, but if he didn't win you over the first time, I wouldn't be in any hurry. He's an absolute wizard with his guitar when he wants to be, but his songwriting has always been a tad hit-and-miss to my ears. I haven't much enjoyed anything he's done since Horizon.

Edited by Vercingetorix

9 hours ago, The Reverend said:

I voted for Luna Sea and Deadman because those are the riffs among these that get stuck in my head after simply reading the song title.

\m/ aie army

I literally love all these songs - Gravity, Storm, and Selfish Love especially.  I'm also a huge fan of HaKU, so it is nice to see them get some recognition on the site as they are usually just overshadowed by the vanguards Ling Toshite Shigure.