desparejo86

Why did gackt leave Malice Mizer: Discussion

It bothers me that Malice Mizer has and probably will never reunite and make another album. I think they would have already had the financial prospects been attractive enough, but I've always believed money was the reason they broke up in the first place (too much overhead), and Mana is fine with doing M10M. Cheaper band to run and he keeps the lion's share of the money.

But I don't like M10M and Kozi's ZIZ band is awful. I wish Mana could talk Klaha into quitting his job at the car wash or whatever the hell he does these days and give it one more go. Yu~Ki is probably bartending or something, he can't get one night a week off to practice? Come on.

I'd also love a Die in Cries reunion but that won't happen because of D'erlanger.

It bothers me that Malice Mizer has and probably will never reunite and make another album. I think they would have already had the financial prospects been attractive enough, but I've always believed money was the reason they broke up in the first place (too much overhead), and Mana is fine with doing M10M. Cheaper band to run and he keeps the lion's share of the money.

But I don't like M10M and Kozi's ZIZ band is awful. I wish Mana could talk Klaha into quitting his job at the car wash or whatever the hell he does these days and give it one more go. Yu~Ki is probably bartending or something, he can't get one night a week off to practice? Come on.

I'd also love a Die in Cries reunion but that won't happen because of D'erlanger.

i thought (rumor is) that MM broke up because Gackt got too big in ego and stole some of mana/kozi songs and pass them as his own for his solo career. The ex members can't stand gackt hence why he didn't go to Kami's funeral.

i thought (rumor is) that MM broke up because Gackt got too big in ego and stole some of mana/kozi songs and pass them as his own for his solo career. The ex members can't stand gackt hence why he didn't go to Kami's funeral.

...not saying that's not true or anything, but why would they break up due to any reason involving Gackt if they kept going with another vocalist after he left? doesn't make any sense.

imo (contrary to what he said in his book) gackt left because his ego was too big for malice mizer, but then again basically everything surrounding malice mizer is mostly gossip--no one will ever know why gackt left, why kami died, where klaha is, when they'll come back--if ever--unless the members themselves address it.

i find their whole fiasco fascinating, its probably worth it to make a separate rumours thread to spill the tea on this expired but nonetheless interesting drama.

Edited by emmny

Gackt was just one of three different singers Malice Mizer had, he had nothing to do with their breakup.

Never heard that rumor before; 100% started by a western fan who was pulling stuff out of her ass. Anyone with a musical ear can tell that Mana and Kozi had no hand in writing Gackt's solo material. Apples and Oranges.

Gackt was likely not at Kamis funeral for the reason listed in my reply below. 

imo (contrary to what he said in his book) gackt left because his ego was too big for malice mizer, but then again basically everything surrounding malice mizer is mostly gossip--no one will ever know why gackt left, why kami died, where klaha is, when they'll come back--if ever--unless the members themselves address it.

i find their whole fiasco fascinating, its probably worth it to make a separate rumours thread to spill the tea on this expired but nonetheless interesting drama.

to stay on topic im already missing temari and hitomi a fuckton, i really hope they come back with new bands this year

I don't know what official statements Gackt, Mana, or Kozi have made because we don't really need to, ya know? None of them will tell you what occam's razor will, because it's not flattering to either party.

Nippon Columbia decided that Malice Mizer were small potatoes and Gackt was the star. And they were right! Gackt wrote the highest charting single on Mervilles, Le Ciel, which also happened to be the most commercial song on the album. Gackt had the great voice, incredible looks, a legion of female fans and he wrote the biggest hit on the album. He was poised for stardom, Malice Mizer could hold him back. 

So Nippon Columbia put their money on Gackt solo and ditched the band, and their gamble paid off in spades. People tend to gloss over/forget, possibly due to Kamis death, that not only did Malice Mizer's label give Gackt a solo deal, but they dropped Malice Mizer. That wasn't a coincidence.

It is what it is. I hate Gackt solo, but wouldn't trade Bara no Seidou or the Klaha singles for anything. I just wish we'd get one more album out of MM.... instrumental, with Klaha, a new singer... I don't care.

If you look at Malice Mizer/ Moi dix Mois/ Mana's side projects, he simply goes through vocalists are X amoutn of time or gets bored or god knows what. 

On 2017/3/9 at 6:59 AM, Saishu said:

Did I miss some huge conspiracy theory behind Kami's death? I've never heard anything different. 

It seems he actually committed suicide but the official story was different to prevent fans from being influenced.

But isn't some kind of Malice Mizer re-uniting a couple of times (of course without Gackt, but still...)?
But why he left? He didn't want to translate Mana's whispers (xD) naah, just kidding.

I guess it's difference in direction, in which Malice Mizer should have gone further. Or, Gackt just wanted to have more impact in MM songs (aren't all of them composed by Mana?). And it was the only thing, I suppose

On 2017. 03. 15. at 8:52 PM, L'air said:

But isn't some kind of Malice Mizer re-uniting a couple of times (of course without Gackt, but still...)?

Yeah, Közi and Yu~Ki did appear at some M10M events and the three of them were even playing old Malice Mizer songs together. But I am quite sure that a full time reunion won't ever happen and about them disbanding... I think, for a change, in their case it was indeed the good old "personal and musical differences" that all those vk bands love to cite as a reason. I mean... musically they went to totally different directions: Klaha's some solo releases were very different in style, Yu~Ki probably just got bored by all this stage and music business stuff, Közi seems to be pretty happy with all those underground goth and experimental new wave projects he is doing and Mana is the only one that kept some of the MM sound, just brought it to a more gothic metal direction. And for the personal reasons: I did an interview with Közi shortly after Malice Mizer disbanded and when we talked about MM (partly outside the interview) I felt that there was some disagreement between him and Mana at that time.. that they probably resolved later as a few years after that he started to occasionally appear at M10M events.

On 2017/3/14 at 8:31 AM, 薔薇の末裔 said:

It seems he actually committed suicide but the official story was different to prevent fans from being influenced.

While that wouldn't be unfathomable, especially after so many took their lives after hide died, I can't find anything to support this in Japanese. Only semi-related thing I found to the band was gossip that apparently one of Gackt's ex-girlfriends tried to commit suicide. Both sound like Tanuki rumors TBH.

I've heard a number of times that Yu~ki was having back problems and other health issues, which is one of the reasons he never seemed to be involved in the scene after Malice Mizer disbanded. I feel like if it were just Mana and Kozi to reunite... What's the point? They don't even seem to talk that much any more except for random reunions and visiting Kami's grave.

Mana seems like a difficult person to work with, but I also think Gackt and Mana wanted different things. Obviously from the direction Gackt's solo career took, he wanted to become more famous/mainstream, where as it seemed Mana and Kozi just wanted to pursue their own "art", regardless of how popular it would be with fans. I imagine they clashed not only with each other, but with Nippon Columbia, the major label they were signed to. After Gackt went solo he retained his major contract status with Nippon Crown, a separate entity of Nippon Columbia, which further leads me to believe label motives/pressures were also a factor behind what transpired. Despite there not being much of a concept of "selling out" in Japan, Gackt still has a ton of haters in that vein.

Probably no one will ever know except the members themselves, their label, and any personal friends or tsunagari at the time.

I didn't know Gackt was resented by some people for selling out...

Where is Klaha?

Come on, an island nation. It can't be so difficult to find his whereabaouts.

Edited by seikun

tbh what i find most interesting about this is now, considering both mana and gackt's eventual career trajectories is how they ever managed to get along

they both come across as not just ego maniacs, but straight up narcissists. the only difference is that mana has a soul, LOL

I googled a bit in Japanese and found this entry by Gackt

https://ameblo.jp/gackt/entry-12268922926.html

He writes about Malice Mizer and their break-up a bit there, I just read through it fast and there seem to be nothing groundbreaking but at least some stuff I'm sure foreign fans aren't aware off. I'm off work in a couple of hours and then I have to sleep so I'll start translating asap... unless someone else manage to do it before me 

5 hours ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

I googled a bit in Japanese and found this entry by Gackt

https://ameblo.jp/gackt/entry-12268922926.html

He writes about Malice Mizer and their break-up a bit there, I just read through it fast and there seem to be nothing groundbreaking but at least some stuff I'm sure foreign fans aren't aware off. I'm off work in a couple of hours and then I have to sleep so I'll start translating asap... unless someone else manage to do it before me 

I can do it if you don't get around to it, too.

It seems like Gackt left out quite a bit of the story before and between, "After that meeting, the environment during those final days was very quarrelsome-like." and, "After that I immediately went to America with YOU and other old friends of mine and began recording an album."

He also conveniently leaves out the reasons why a break-up was discussed in the first place. Generally just based on my experience working in Japan thus far, if people you work with/your boss or employer has decided to nullify your contract or end something you're involved in without you being privy to that convo, it generally means that you are considered to be "in the wrong" about something, ergo the group takes action and comes to a decision without you.

It honestly sounds like Gackt did something wrong and whether he was aware of how upset the other members/management was over it or not, the group talked about breaking up without him and then suddenly presented this decision to him, with the intention (at the time) of actually breaking up or getting him to withdraw on his own. I'm guessing the latter though since the band did not actually end up breaking up.

In case anyone was interested in a translation of the blog post @Takadanobabaalienlinked, or at least the part relevant to MALICE MIZER.

Spoiler

18年前の今日。

ボクがバンドからソロに復活した記念すべき日だ・・・。

と言っても

この日に辿り着くまで

そしてこの日から全国ツアーをスタートするに至るまで

恐ろしいぐらい紆余曲折したあの一年を

未だにはっきりと覚えている。

18 years ago today.

I should do something to commemorate when I went from being in a band to (starting) my own solo career...

Even so,

up until that day,

and up until the start of the nationwide tour that followed that day,

even now, I vividly remember

that it was a year filled with some pretty shocking* twists and turns.

*Note: "osoroshii" can mean "terrible", "awe-inspiring", etc. so in order to not assume any degree of negative or positive sentiments Gackt may have, I've just translated it as "shocking" to remain neutral.

いや

今日ここに来るまでずっと波乱万丈だ。

ボクの人生は常に波乱万丈。

Or rather,

the road up until now has always been a series of ups and downs.

My whole life has been full of ups and downs.

色んなことが脳裏に蘇る。

MALICE MIZERのメンバーそしてあの当時の女社長に突然

なんの相談も前触れもなく

『MALICE MIZERは解散する』

と告げられたあの日のことも。

あのミーティングで最後は喧嘩のような状況になったことも。

There are a number of thoughts at the back of my mind.

Among them, was the day I was suddenly told,

from the other MALICE MIZER members and our female manager at the time,

without having discussed or touched on the thought in any way prior,

"MALICE MIZER will break up."

And that after that meeting, the environment during those final days was very quarrelsome-like.

その後すぐに

YOUや他の幼なじみ達とアメリカに渡り

アルバムのレコーディングを始めたことも。

And immediately after that,

I went to America with YOU and other old friends (childhood friends) of mine

and began recording an album.

After that there isn't any other mention of MM, just more details about his early solo career.

Edited by jaymee