Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Discogs

Does anyone here like to use discogs?

I like their site a lot.

You can check release information for any format and genre of music, see photos of releases, and keep a customized list of any releases you have or want.

It also doubles as a music wikipedia and anyone can update any information as needed. I've made a few contributions for bands like lynch. and DEZERT and their format is super easy to use. You can even get as detailed as music and lyric credits and lump different versions or editions  as sub-categories into one master list.

It also triples as a market place for people to buy and sell music from all over the world. But, usually people who sell here tend to overprice a LOT.

I know there are a lot of separate websites that can do these things, but I like discogs because you can do all that on one site under one profile.  It's especially convenient for keeping track of one's music collection.

So anyways, do ya??? 

Edited by ghost

I've never heard of musicbrainz, I'm gonna have to check that site out. I started keeping my record collection on discogs. I'll eventually probably put my CD colletion up too but I kind of assumed I'd have to create wiki pages for a lot of the visual indie stuff so I was too lazy for all that. >_> I'm doombox_ on discogs if anyone wants to be friends.

2 hours ago, SwampMan said:

I use it to tag my music, to search for catalogue numbers and label names. Along with discogs I also use musicbrainz.

Oh dude, musicbrainz looks pretty cool!

Are there any features that musicbrainz offers that discogs doesn't? At first glance I can't tell if there are any unique features.

6 minutes ago, doombox said:

I've never heard of musicbrainz, I'm gonna have to check that site out. I started keeping my record collection on discogs. I'll eventually probably put my CD colletion up too but I kind of assumed I'd have to create wiki pages for a lot of the visual indie stuff so I was too lazy for all that. >_> I'm doombox_ on discogs if anyone wants to be friends.

Yeah, that's what I have to do for a lot of Japanese releases *ugh* 

Added :)

2 minutes ago, ghost said:

Oh dude, musicbrainz looks pretty cool!

Are there any features that musicbrainz offers that discogs doesn't? At first glance I can't tell if there are any unique features.

I'm not really sure, I don't have an account on either site, but musicbrainz seems to have releases that are missing on discogs and also offers more detailed information sometimes.  Other than that I don't think there's much of a difference.

36 minutes ago, ghost said:

Yeah, that's what I have to do for a lot of Japanese releases *ugh* 

Added :)

What's your username so I can add you back? For some reason I can't see who adds me there.

4 hours ago, SwampMan said:

I'm not really sure, I don't have an account on either site, but musicbrainz seems to have releases that are missing on discogs and also offers more detailed information sometimes.  Other than that I don't think there's much of a difference.

I see. Thanks for introducing musicbrainz!

3 hours ago, doombox said:

What's your username so I can add you back? For some reason I can't see who adds me there.

?.? wieeerd. It's:

dansukyoungyun

i find it helpful for larger vk bands for tagging info, etc

if there's a question about tags, i'll go between discogs, jame and last.fm to find something i agree with

Edited by emmny

I use discogs to keep a track of what I have and not have, to buy things cheaply and whenever I need to tag something not metal. There's a lot of people who (try to) sell their stuff for a lot more than it's worth, but you'll find those people everywhere where people can sell their stuff. I like discogs aa lot.

My profil: https://www.discogs.com/user/boris./collection

It's not quite up to date at the moment, though. I'm pretty sure I have a few releases I'v not added to my collection yet.

Sign in to follow this