Sign in to follow this  
desparejo86

STEREO.C.K. - In Secret

Since there is no full-length album release in sight, I may as well review the single for those curious.

The track is great! Quite a departure from the material on the "Switch" EP,  "In Secret" is a reserved, mid tempo rocker; dark and very Kagerou-esque. It opens with a haunting harmonized guitar line that leads into a choppy riff. The verse has a great melody that is actually kind of enka-sounding, while Yuana, Kazu, and amon bang out the chords in unison . The chorus has those reaching, drawn out lines that Kagerou is remembered for, but Selm's voice is a lot fuller than Daisuke's was, and is really makes STEREO.C.K. so different from Kagerou, despite having both Yuana and Kazu in the band. And I absolutely love amon's tasteful drumming as well; he gets the job done without throwing in the slightest of ego-driven fills.

I am in love with this track. Can't wait for the "Nos Black" single to go on sale to the public, and am more than ready for a full length!!

Edited by desparejo86

Reviewing a release that is not available in the downloads section usually don't sit well with some users around here. People overwhelmingly tend to find more helpful being able to create their own opinions by listening to the actual thing than being ok with reading someone else's.  Worse of all, someone may even think you want to brag about having some rare CD while having no intention at all to share - you are opening doors to people that can be hostile and call you an asshole or something.

All in all I don't think it is a very adviseable thing to to. It is understandable that you want to share enthusiasm about any given thing, but people value much more other kind of sharing in this community. 

Plus, review threads are much successful when everyone have the same access to the topic subject. 

I don't usually give advice to people but I honestly think this was valuable. Hope you agree!

Cheers. 

People should be allowed to review what they want to review, shouldn't they? What's the point of having a review section otherwise? If people are gonna get salty over the fact that they can't get their hands on something, that' s their problem...

I think @madygrain is absolutely ON POINT. People are allowed to review everything they want. But when you post a review of something that the WHOLE forum desires and you won't share that thing, this absolutely does sound like you are wanting to brag about having a release, which is SILLY AF. In the end, the review section is here to people share and discuss their thoughts on a release. What's the point of you posting a review if no one is able to comment or discuss the release with you?

I think was made pretty clear, since OP posted this ages ago and no one bothered to comment or like the post.

In the end, if you are going to post a review of something only a handful of people had access to, you are better not posting anything, since not only you are going to look bad, you'll also not going to achieve anything with your review, since no one was able to listen and discuss it with you.

But that's just my opinion...

Edited by chemicalpictures

echoing what tokage said, its his choice to review whatever he wants. its not a discussion forum, its not a DL forum, it's one persons thought on their music. whether or not they want others to listen or partake in their review or music is their choice, its not for you all to decide.

i highly encourage others to share any music they highly regard for my ORZ purposes tho hehe ^>^

Look guys, this is a review forum. If you go to ANY website and read a review, are you butthurt because that person didn't upload it for you too? I like to read reviews on alt press and unite asia and rolling stone. Should I be angry I don't own most of the things they write about? If someone reviews an old out of print release are we going to be angry about that too? Where does it end? If anything some people will get to hear about a release they would otherwise know nothing about. I think there's value in sharing that information. How does reviewing a release suddenly equal bragging? The simple answer is that it doesn't and people are making a big deal about literally NOTHING. Review whatever you feel like reviewing. 

I guess that in the end, being one's intention to show off or not, what matters is the impression the community gets of it. There's not much of a discussion to be made here, it's a right to review and it's a right to think whatever you want to think about it...

but maybe this is a matter for another place? we are absolutely off-topic here, maybe one of the mods should clean it up the posts?

13 hours ago, Tokage said:

People should be allowed to review what they want to review

I agree

13 hours ago, Tokage said:

If people are gonna get salty over the fact that they can't get their hands on something, that' s their problem..

True.  But in social media is not rare having to deal with other people's soblems, sadly.

7 hours ago, emmny said:

its not a discussion forum, its not a DL forum, it's one persons thought on their music.

I strongly disagree with this. The point of any forum is discussion. I also don't thin every single MH subforum exist in it's own vacuum -it's all part of the same comunity of people. 

If exposing opinions without discussion is MH's review forum raison d'être I would say having a blog system instead of an open disussion forum would feel more intuitive to me, since forums are for opinion exchange not for "pontificating" (probably not the best word but it's the one that came to mind, hope you understand what I mean by this).

6 hours ago, doombox said:

his is a review forum. If you go to ANY website and read a review, are you butthurt because that person didn't upload it for you too?

Well, do any other websites have a system to share the subject of their reviews? Just some of them. MH belongs to that second type. I think putting all the websites that have reviews of any kind in them and saying they are all the same for argument's sake is not the best approach.

I think considering how MH in particular is shaped is more constructive to the discussion than going for false equivalence.

If anything some people will get to hear about a release they would otherwise know nothing about. I think there's value in sharing that information.

Undeniably, I rather have a review than nothing, and I'm thankful for @desparejo86's text. 

How does reviewing a release suddenly equal bragging?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ask the angry people. I have even read people saying that uploading is a way of bragging as well... it's impossible to please everyone everytime, but the point of my first post is that there are things that involve more risk than others, even if hostility doesn't manifest right away.

6 hours ago, madygrain said:

Well, do any other websites have a system to share the subject of their reviews? Just some of them. MH belongs to that second type. I think putting all the websites that have reviews of any kind in them and saying they are all the same for argument's sake is not the best approach.

I think considering how MH in particular is shaped is more constructive to the discussion than going for false equivalence.

The forums here are separate forums here for a reason. Just because you wish them to be connected does not make it so. Some users here never use the download forum, and some only use the download forum. To limit what some can write about because we have multiple forums is unnecessary and hurts the website as a whole. It's like asking trombe to ONLY post news on artists in the download forum, or not listing things in the release calendar by artists not already shared here. We want to encourage new information and shared discussion here, not limit it. 

23 hours ago, madygrain said:

All in all I don't think it is a very adviseable thing to to. It is understandable that you want to share enthusiasm about any given thing, but people value much more other kind of sharing in this community. 

Plus, review threads are much successful when everyone have the same access to the topic subject. 

17 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

But when you post a review of something that the WHOLE forum desires and you won't share that thing, this absolutely does sound like you are wanting to brag about having a release, which is SILLY AF. In the end, the review section is here to people share and discuss their thoughts on a release. What's the point of you posting a review if no one is able to comment or discuss the release with you?

I think was made pretty clear, since OP posted this ages ago and no one bothered to comment or like the post.

In the end, if you are going to post a review of something only a handful of people had access to, you are better not posting anything, since not only you are going to look bad, you'll also not going to achieve anything with your review, since no one was able to listen and discuss it with you.

But that's just my opinion...

Jesus Christ.

I posted this review to encourage people to fucking buy it  because it's a good single worth buying. And if you like the band but aren't going to buy it, here's a heads up: the new release is good.

It was like ten bucks at the zoisite online shop. They ship overseas.  Everyone does have the same access.

Are you seriously asserting that someone would write a review to brag about having ten dollars?

Edited by desparejo86

17 hours ago, doombox said:

The forums here are separate forums here for a reason. Just because you wish them to be connected does not make it so.

I don't wish such thing. 

I think is worthy of consideration that being separate subforums doesn't mean they are both far from each other in different, tottaly unrelated points of the Internet. They are both part of MH, and both shape largely the same community.

17 hours ago, doombox said:

To limit what some can write about because we have multiple forums is unnecessary and hurts the website as a whole.

I agree, and I am glad nobody has proposed this because that would be a terrible idea.

14 hours ago, desparejo86 said:

I posted this review to encourage people to fucking buy it  because it's a good single worth buying. And if you like the band but aren't going to buy it, here's a heads up: the new release is good.

I have no objetions,  getting people to support bands doing good work is vital, and the only reason I have uploaded stuff here. 

What I'm tryng to say is that people are more inclined to buy stuff if they think it's worth their money, and less likely to trust anyone's opinion over their own.  But if they can not form their own things are not going to move much in any direction. Some people feel entitled enough to think badly of others  who could but won't provide them with the means to get what they want. Even when it's perfectly reasonable not to, it may shape how other people will think about you and it could leave to aggravating stuff if you are unliky enough to cross paths with an asshat -wich is very easy on the Internet.

I am no telling anyone what to do. It isn't like I have the interest or the power to  force anyone to do stuff over the internet lol

Members are allowed to review what they want and there is no requirement for it to be freely available for download first. This has been the rule and this will continue to be the rule. Plenty of websites on the internet post reviews of releases without providing much more than a sample and they survive just fine. And the members there thank the reviewer for sharing his/her thoughts and look forward to hearing it for themselves instead of advising them to stay quiet until they can illegally download it. Be thankful @desparejo86 didn't write this review with a tone of superiority and honestly wants more members to support the scene.

Most music ever released will eventually find its way onto the internet. Be patient. Free downloads have spoiled you all.

Any more off-topic meta discussion will be deleted.

This song is damn good. Love the bass sound and the old style feeling.

Too bad the band is so underrated ;/ 

Sign in to follow this