Zeus

IPS4 Question and Help Thread

If there are any questions, constructive criticism, or issues concerning the new skin, layout, and/or board software please leave them here. We will be happy to take a look at them.

Answers to common questions:

• We were forced to upgrade. Rolling back to IPS 3.x is not an option.
  • If you see question marks in your profile, this is a result of Japanese or incompatible emojis from IPB 3.x. (noted by @shiroikitsune and @seurong)
  • The forum's wideness is a result of the skin. I have to make some manual adjustments. I reduced the width a bit @DarkWater how is it now?
  • The member tag is replaced with putting the "@" symbol before a member's name. And damn is it convenient!
  • Preview functionality of posts seems to be gone in favor of a WYSIWYG editor. I can't put it back.
  • The rotating banner is back and I know it looks a little funny when you scroll. Also working on that. The banner should work properly now.
  • Custom BBCode is known to be broken. The thumb tag is now obsolete as images can be manually resized.
  • We are looking into other options actively but we will roll with this for a few weeks or so.
  • Various graphical glitches are associated with certain browsers. I don't have an issue with Firefox and Chrome seems to be working alright as well.
  • Colored names are back.
  • YouTube videos should now max out at a width of 640 @Original Saku
  • Max avatar size is 178 x 178. Any larger will break Chameleon Dark.

"Restoring" View History of Status Updates (as requested by @freesia, probably a useful thing to know)

IPS4 has removed the functionality of seeing all status updates with the button as we are used to. We can use a new tool, called Activities, to replicate this view. I will show you how to do it now. Assuming you are using Chameleon Dark, click "Activity", then "My Activity Streams" and create a new one. Check the uploaded image to see how to configure your settings and then click OK. Status Updates history should now be easily available from this activity.

status update feed.PNG

Edited by Zeus

image.jpg

So it would be cool if the wide would be kinda 80% or something.  (no clue how much this sample is)
But the wide with the content inside is kinda 1400px in the sample.  my screen is 1920 wide.
The way it is now, for myself its too wide. no clue if other people think the same, but I don't like it.  so I like to have some more space on left and right. 

Ah, and I just did notice, we got not a "preview" button before we can post something :P

I was about to ask if you can change the background of the quote, which was the same colour than the thread but seems you did it already.

How is @membername working now? Still no notifications when we cite someone? It's so much easier now, using @  instead of [member . it's a good thing.
I've been logged in private but seems I'm not?
Preview button?

Besides that, I've got no questions for the moment. I really love the update. It's more professionnal, and our personal profile is so great, with our own banner. Oh, and the notifications, browse and activity systems are great.

edit: the "hide users signature" is a jewel!!! thank you for this feature!!!

Edited by eiheartx

In the status previews on the main page they seem to cut off for longer statuses, you see more than one from the same user (which isn't so bad unless someone is spamming or something.... but kind of a pain because of my next point) and there is no "see more" so you can't just easily scroll through a list of statuses like we could before.

Also, I hope that when they come back the headers don't take up too much space, given that the header scrolls with us down the page now...

Will icon previews of the most recent poster come back? 

31 minutes ago, eiheartx said:

I was about to ask if you can change the background of the quote, which was the same colour than the thread but seems you did it already.

How is @membername working now? Still no notifications when we cite someone? It's so much easier now, using @  instead of [member . it's a good thing.
I've been logged in private but seems I'm not?
Preview button?

Besides that, I've got no questions for the moment. I really love the update. It's more professionnal, and our personal profile is so great, with our own banner. Oh, and the notifications, browse and activity systems are great.

edit: the "hide users signature" is a jewel!!! thank you for this feature!!!

I think @nostalgia is behind changing the background of the quote.

I am not sure how the new member name feature works. I need to play around with it more.

The preview button is stirring some controversy on the official form. IPS' stance is that since it is a WYSIWYG editor a preview button is redundant so they did away with it. However, it's a feature everyone has become used to and loves and the original poster presents an interesting use case where it would be valid. I was looking for it myself and missed it, and toggling between raw HTML and the nicely formatted text doesn't work on everything. I find it annoying to have to edit my post two or three times to get the desired result as well. They seem hellbent on not implementing it so don't get your hopes up.

44 minutes ago, DarkWater said:

btw how can you update your

Recent Status

can't find it..

Click on your name in the upper left corner, then click profile. There should be a rather large box that says "What's on your mind?"

39 minutes ago, anakuro said:

In the status previews on the main page they seem to cut off for longer statuses, you see more than one from the same user (which isn't so bad unless someone is spamming or something.... but kind of a pain because of my next point) and there is no "see more" so you can't just easily scroll through a list of statuses like we could before.

Also, I hope that when they come back the headers don't take up too much space, given that the header scrolls with us down the page now...

Will icon previews of the most recent poster come back? 

Last time the header scaled down. I expect it to do the same. I can look into the other two issues as well.

14 minutes ago, seurong said:

im assuming we are stuck with tiny avatars now right?

Yep. I have to tweak the skin settings to make them larger and I'm not sure where that is right now.

53 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Click on your name in the upper left corner, then click profile. There should be a rather large box that says "What's on your mind?"

Yeah, but I also had to ENABLE the option in my profile settings....

So its working now.

Search function doesn't work yet too, guess still working on that? hope it will be back soon.

Edited by BrenGun

28 minutes ago, DarkWater said:

Yeah, but I also had to ENABLE the option in my profile settings....

So its working now.

Search function doesn't work yet too, guess still working on that? hope it will be back soon.

Posts are still being rebuilt so it will take a while for the search function to become fully operational.

2 minutes ago, CoolKill3rX said:

Just an idea, loving the forum btw.

But woudnt it be more handy to have all account and profile and login stuff right above next to browse and activity?

Makes it easy to get to wherever u are, and it would actually be at the right site, wich i personally perfer more then it being left.

Also signature is in acount settings, shoudnt that be in edit profile? ^^, dunno.

These are skin setting that I cannot control. Part of it is not intuitive and part of it is that it really is badly designed in some ways. This is way better than the default skin that shipped with IPB 4, but we may be looking into purchasing / creating a new skin in the near future.

16 minutes ago, CoolKill3rX said:

Oke ^^, btw a few more things.

Basicly the logo of the site f its good, but when you scroll down it gets out of line with the black bar behind it:

376e60630b03a179baebc05289efdb00.png

Then there is also this:

d4fe6930a109e1bceb69c7c8f421a35b.png

Other then that, maybe put profiles to show About me rather then activities when u go to a profile?, also on the homepage there is a list of people that are in chat, perhaps add a link to the chat there too?

And thanks for being able to see more easy'er when people comment on a reply, i could never find it out before.

I am aware of the clipping issue with the banner. I can set it small enough so that it doesn't clip but it's not a dynamic solution. Both of these are due to how the skin is created, which I don't have too much control over. I can't really move buttons around without diving into thousands of lines of code I didn't write.

I hope it's possible to get larger Avatars in the future, as well as being able to disable the scrolling banner (it just really bugs me and takes up unnecessary space.)

Is it normal btw that I don't see any status replies and have to click on the users profile to see them?

7 minutes ago, Ikna said:

I hope it's possible to get larger Avatars in the future, as well as being able to disable the scrolling banner (it just really bugs me and takes up unnecessary space.)

Is it normal btw that I don't see any status replies and have to click on the users profile to see them?

I am not sure, I am not sure, and yes in that order. You are not the only one to have reported this functionality as missing so I hope it comes back soon.

the wide is better now. looks 1025px looks smaller than thought. But not everybody has wide screen so I think its good.  because I saw the wide one before this just need to get used again. :D

But reading a topic like this, feels good. perfect wide. I only need to get used to the index... well will only take a day or so :D

but yeah.. good job!

@Gaz and @DarkWater, I have adjusted some options so that the skin scales more dynamically according to your resolution. Right now I have it at 75%. Does this solve both of your issues adequately?

Also @CoolKill3rX I have adjusted the skin some more so that the header doesn't float as you scale down the page. No more clipping banners!

41 minutes ago, Zeus said:

@Gaz and @DarkWater, I have adjusted some options so that the skin scales more dynamically according to your resolution. Right now I have it at 75%. Does this solve both of your issues adequately?

Also @CoolKill3rX I have adjusted the skin some more so that the header doesn't float as you scale down the page. No more clipping banners!

yup its better :D

I'm not sure if it's only me, but there are some weird issues with line spacing.  It's like everything is double-spaced, or 1.5-spaced.  (Looks the same in both Chrome & Edge)

In this image, you can even see different-sized spacing between lines that are all supposed to be single-spaced.  

ss2.jpg

Edited by peffy

@Zeus still up the forum ? 
The profile options its good, the problem is in layout.

New options to profile OK

The new way to notification is perfect.

I hope one colorful forum with (color in nickname in all posts) :-)

so much space between title posts and almost in all in forum i think this need be fixed. (incluing when in box to write one comment. (Press Enter and next line have one big space with other text above)

The small avatar still this way or gonna change ?