Sign in to follow this  
beni

Anime Theme Recommendations: Winter 2016

Hello and welcome to a new ORZ Project and first edition of Anime Theme Recommendations (ATR) where we'll be looking into the best of the best of the current season's anime themes. This can be either an opening or an ending theme, and you may find both from the same anime has been recommended. We start with January to March, the Winter season of 2016. Special thanks to @Zeus and @Original Saku for participating, as well as @CAT5 on the technical side. Below you'll find the artist picture of the musicians behind the music and the TV sized opening animation of the song below each blurb. If any videos don't work for you, feel free to tell us in the thread and we'll provide another source if possible, and no forgetting about telling us what your favourites are that we may have missed out! Or maybe one of us are on the same wavelength as yourself? Share the love by commenting! For anyone interested, guest submissions ARE open to members outside of ORZ! So, without further ado, enjoy the list and we'll see you in three month's time for the second batch of this years quality anime tunes. Thank you and enjoy.

Opening to Ajin
flumpool - 夜は眠れるかい? (Yoru wa Nemureru kai?)

6TTRBFq.jpg?1

It's not uncommon for the thematic elements of the opening song and the anime to match up. flumpool knocks it out of the park with 夜は眠れるかい? ( Yoru wa Nemureru kai? ), opening song for the anime Ajin. "Yoru..." has a groovy rhythm while managing to capture a somewhat darker mood which makes for a nice contrast. If you watch your anime subbed like I do and that group translates the opening theme's lyrics as well, you're in for a treat. flumpool humanizes the struggles of the main character (minor spoiler but in this universe Ajins are beings that are hunted and not considered to be human), aligning the protagonist with the watcher before the show even starts. It manages to do this without relying too much on the source material making for a song that works equally well in and out of context.

Ending to Fairy Tail Zerø
Kavka Shishido - 明日を鳴らせ (Ashita o Narase) 

29605-shishidokavka-kvj6.png

Mix one of the most promising, long running anime series with one of the most currently outstanding female singers and what do you get? You get “明日を鳴らせ”. Sounding both accessible and similar to the series’ other themes (namely DaisyxDaisy’s work), Kavka captures the high energy style of the series’ sound passed down from each and every of its opening predecessors. Kavka isn’t just a talented singer, but also a drummer, actress and model, more than deserving to be checked out further. Props to her for this being her first ever anime theme. This has been long overdue but she’s done herself proud! “Zerø” may be the adaption of the manga series’ prequel to FAIRY TAIL, but you’ve got to admit it looks just as entertaining, if not more so than series we already adore. Encouraging lyrics accompanied by some masterfully animated scenes makes this one a stand out in any best countdown.

-@beni

Ending to Dimension W
Fo’xTails - Contrast

30873-foxtails-zvo6.jpg

When a singer reminds you of T.M Revolution and GRANRODEO, what's not to love? Against the fluid animation and beauty of the anime itself, there's a bit too much to adore with this one, but I'm certainly not complaining! It may be a rocking anime theme too generic for some, but I digress, it's one that you'll hate to love and love to hate. With a strong, melodic sound to carry it all the way to the end, it's another pick of mine I can't help but put on repeat and spam to death. Kickassery has never looked so god damn fine.

-@beni

Opening to 昭和元禄落語心中 (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu)

林原めぐみ (Megumi Hayashibara) - 薄ら氷心中 (Usura Koori Shinjuu)

mzkyuih.jpg?1

Coined by the queen that is Shiina Ringo, that is surely already enough of a nudge for anyone to give this song a listen. Being unexpectedly jazz sounding and almost French due to Hayashibara's delicate and whisper-y delivery, it’s a wonderful surprise and change of tune for any anime viewer. Megumi Hayashibara has always been a wonder woman so seeing her still going so strong after all these years is brilliant. On the topic of this madam, her vocal touch gives your typical Ringo tune a new flare, and it's extremely well done and more than fitting for the show its tied into. The style and historical context of the anime plays off the tune's beat perfectly, as you can see below. It's easily a stand out not just for myself, but I'm sure plenty of those who tuned in to give this anime a go.

Ending to ブブキ・ブランキ (Bubuki Buranki)

MYTH & ROID - ANGER/ANGER

9XcTi8M.jpg?1

Those first twenty seconds. That's all I want to say and all I should really have to say to sell this one. Just think Sawano Hiroyuki. Quickly transitioning into something more Aural Vampire, the whole minute and a half will get you mashing the repeat button furiously. Instantly catchy and addictive, this auto-tune, Engrish filled electronic rock number doesn't just bounce to the beat of our bad ass red head in the sequence, but it'll certainly get you to join in on the war path too. And don't get me started on those whispered verses. Just let your ears experience the eargasm it deserves. Who knew walking could be such a turn on?

Ending to 僕だけがいない街 (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)

さユり (Sayuri) - それは小さな光のような (Sore wa chiisana hikari no youna)

6LEClU1.jpg?1

Love at first listen is where this falls under. Sayuri's voice is something far too precious for words. At exactly the right pitch of cuteness and maturity, it's another MACO if you ask me, which I welcome with wide arms. The structure of the tune is your typical slow/ballad ending theme song of any anime that incorporates this really, but don't let that put you off, it's still just as beautiful if not more so than any of those other impactful inserts, including many non-anime songs. Its high tension within the chorus, elegant melodies, storytelling lyrics and the youthful yet powerful delivery is enough to bring you to tears and make a long lasting impression. 

Opening to 虹色デイズ (Nijiro Days)

ソナーポケット (Sonar Pocket) - Best Friends

wTBUhT9.jpg?1

Bringing me back to those classic soft rock bands such as Kobukuro, this laid back, feel good tune fits nicely to the oddly presented opener of this slice of life, romantic comedy show. The mix of real life landscapes with the inserted still cuts of the characters is certainly eccentric, but it's also bizarrely satisfying to watch while listening to "Best Friends". Both charming and positive by nature, it's what it says on the tin, and very fitting to its anime partner.

Opening to Garo: Guren no Tsuki
JAM Project - 月華 (Gekka)

vvsTeFY.jpg?1

Yes! Here we go, one of the best anime openings this season and by the great JAM Project no less. Garo is a franchise that has taken off in Japan and has spawned many different entertainment adaptions ranging from live action movies and TV series to anime (this being the second Garo anime so far). Anybody that knows anime openings should know JAM Project and also should know just how awesome their themes are and this one is no exception. The song starts off powerfully, leading into a dual female/male vocal tandem that just sets the tone for the entire song that leads into a back and forth between the two vocalists. Don't get me wrong the instrumentals are great here but the main centerpiece is definitely the vocal battle happening throughout the sequence.

-@Original Saku

Ending to Haikyuu!! 2nd Season
tacica - 発熱 (Hatsunetsu)

1a1hkDk.jpg?1

I was already familiar with tacica before this so I was pretty happy when I heard they were going to do an ending theme for Haikyuu!! The theme itself has a really awesome art style that sets the coolness factor right up there. Then you have "Hatsunetsu" that starts with some neat guitar/bass strumming which breaks into some killer drums and comes together with the unique vocals of Shoichi Igari for one pretty cool song.

-@Original Saku

Opening to Gintama°
DOES - Know Know Know

wGousIW.jpg?1

Let's go! There's nothing better than a Gintama opening by DOES who have been doing Gintama Openings and Endings for years and are arguably the best out of the many OP's and ED's the show has had over the years, and what better way than to get them to do the opening theme for the season with the arc that we have been waiting forever for... that's hype as hell if you ask me. The song is classic DOES and really hits home with the verses, and the chorus is especially catchy and will have you singing "Know Know Know" in no time.

-@Original Saku

Opening to 僕だけがいない街 (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)
Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Re:Re:

aDLuZV6.jpg?1

Well I would assume we all know these guys. Asian Kung-Fu Generation are no strangers to anime themes and are probably the reason a lot of people got into Japanese music in the first place. In fact the song "RE:RE:" is not a new song like some people probably assumed but instead is an older song from one of the band's 2004 singles. You don't really see this type of thing happen often in anime (at least I haven't) but I'm glad because this song is right out of AKFG's glory days and hopefully will spark some new fans of Japanese music just like those anime themes from 10-12 years ago did for me. But regardless of the song's age it still is just as rocking as back then and fits this show perfectly in both feel and lyrics.

-@Original Saku

Opening to Divine Gate

ヒトリエ (hitorie) - ワンミーツハー (one-Me two-Hearts)

4gKB7Uw.jpg?1

"one-Me two-Hearts" is a rocking little number that blasts off right out the gate with a myriad of sounds. Hitorie's vocalist Wowaka's prowess is probably the first thing you'll notice unique about the theme and he nails it so well. Wowaka is an ex. vocaloid producer so if you find his singing style similar to a lot of vocaloid then that's probably why. Great opening theme for a somewhat average/mediocre show, happens all the time really.

-@Original Saku

https://youtu.be/WLWD-DcP0ko

Ending to Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
PENGUIN RESEARCH - ジョーカーに宜しく (Joker ni Yoroshiku) 

la2EbM7.jpg?1

Never really heard of this "PENGUIN RESEARCH" group before this ending theme, but I was impressed because it really fits the ending sequence perfectly and I love the use of piano in the background. This song actually reminds me of some vocaloid that I've heard so that might be something to look into... I literally couldn't find anything out about this group so it might be that they are a newer unknown band. Either way recommending both the song and the show on this one.

https://youtu.be/JCj3ddGBFVc

Opening to Dimension W
STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION - Genesis

31151-stereodivefoundation-2e6s.png

This is sort of an odd choice for me since I'm not the biggest fan of rock infused electronic numbers, but for some reason this song just kinda clicks with me. Even the auto tune that I would usually say I can't stand doesn't bother me at all here. It might just be that it's tastefully done and that's why I'm into it... I also feel the song fits the show quite well and is more than likely one reason why I like it so much despite how ridiculous the main character looks in the theme dancing!

https://youtu.be/9Cqzz88jrxY

Ending to Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
TRUE - STEEL-鉄血の絆- (Steel: Tekketsu no Kizuna)

gHgrnWb.jpg?1

This is my favorite ending theme from this season and it just has such powerful ending sequences that lead into this song, I get goosebumps every time, I swear. The song "STEEL-鉄血の絆-" is perfect for the show and its lyrics are a big reason why I like it so much. Lyrics such as "an iron Flower that becomes blood" which is literally the meaning behind the word Tekkadan (the name of the organization in the show) and "Having started to run, we are travelers of the era. Far and far, strong and strong, bloom in the barren land" and "Don't lose. Burn up your life" implicate so much that's happening in the show and my god the imagery that is in this theme matches up to the lyrics as well. It makes it so so hard not to love it. I'm such a gundam nerd... I know I know.

-@Original Saku

Ending to Ajin
宮野真守 (Mamoru Miyano) - HOW CLOSE YOU ARE

23633-mamorumiyano-usr5.png

Here we have a prime example of a perfect ending theme, mix the heavy nature of the subject material and the complicated emotions it deals with into a sorrowful ballad like "How Close You Are" and you get one hell of a ending sequence that hits hard after an emotionally charged episode. The song's lyrics in particular fit very well with the show and make it even more of a spot on fit. I can just feel myself getting lost in this song after every episode.

https://youtu.be/4L-Cz1_shFI

Ending to 赤髪の白雪姫 (Akagami no Shirayuki-hime) 2nd Season

eyelis - ページ~君と綴る物語~ (Page ~Kimi to Tsuzuru Monogatari~)

2R8JJ4w.jpg?1

First of all let's just get this out there and let me say that I'm in love with this series and I'm just a big sap for it. Now that's been said and done let's get on with it. This Ending is just great, the art is the big centerpiece of the whole theme and it's just lovely. The song itself is from the anison group eyelis who is the same group who did the "The World God only Knows" themes (which I'm a huge fan of). Let me tell you this right now, this song has some great outro moments at the end of episodes that lead into the ending. All around just a fun song that goes really well with the show and ending sequences.

-@Original Saku

https://youtu.be/rdvMayyYtvQ

Opening to 暗殺教室 (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu) 2nd Season
3年E組うた担 (3-nen E-gumi Utatan) - QUESTION

4fR56Oj.jpg?1

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu or Assassination Classroom is one of those wacky shows that I just really like for no good reason honestly. The show itself is just ridiculous but that's why it's so good. I don't usually go for those opening and ending themes that feature the voice actors from the show in them, but this one is pretty great. It really captures the ridiculousness of the show that I talked about previously and does it while staying surprisingly solid musically. The lyrics of course go very well with the show which is one of the best things about these Voice Actor songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YhEkCg6C9c

Opening & Ending to 灰と幻想のグリムガル (Hai to Gensou no Grimgar)
(K)NoW_NAME - "Knew Day" & "Harvest"

lorD5QE.jpg?1

So this is a combo because both the opening and ending for this show are just so good that I couldn't choose one over the other, but it helps that they are both by the same artist. The show itself is probably one of my favorites this season, it deals with a lot of very realistic human emotions that you don't really see in a lot of shows these day and I greatly appreciate that. "Knew Day", the OP, is the more energetic of the two and has a theme of hope and looking towards the future in its lyrics which definitely sync to the show spot on. While "Harvest" is your slow piano ballad that evokes a lot of feels and I'll just tell you right now some of the episodes in this show end on some pretty sad notes that lead into this song and it's just like "Holy Shit" sometimes. The lyrics in this one are about the bonds between the main characters and it just is so perfect. Oh, and I have to say the art in both of these themes is just jaw dropping.

https://youtu.be/SvGWN7GgVrQ

https://youtu.be/4uyWw26c5u0

It's not like I know that much but let me tell you something about PENGUIN RESEARCH, Saku.

As far as I know they're literally a bunch of guys from the industry, who joined forces as a band. Main vocalist Ikuta Yoji used to do vids under the name of PENGUIN RESEARCH where he'd (cover) songs together with other random people/members. He'd usually play guitar himself, if I remember it right. This was before he quit his job and moved towards Tokyo to go for his music career in 2014. He has since worked on arrangements and compositions of music for a variety of (smartphone) games.

Last year he somewhat revived the band with new members. I think it was around the same time it was revealed that Yoji was added to the Band Yarouze! smartphone game/app in which you can find a variety of fictional bands. One of which, Blast, with Yoji's vocals. The other members are voiced by actual voice actors (Masuda Toshiki, Yamashita Daiki, and Ishiya Haruki in the case of Blast). That said, this is not the only voice actor project he's in (though I totally forgot what the other one was about. It was something about Princes and such together with Umehara Yuichiro among others). It seems that the guy himself is affiliated with an agency that manages a bunch of voice actors, and that one of his dreams is to become one himself as well.

Then sometime last year as well, a new song was revealed under the name of PENGUIN RESEARCH: Supercharger. It was the first track involving all the new members, and showing the new and updated style of the band revolving around Ikuta Yoji. This was actually not too long before I first heard about them.

At the end of last year it was then revealed that the band would be taking on the ending song of DRRR X2's last cour. With the end of said anime, there's also been the release of their first mini album just a few days ago, and the revealing of another anime tie-in with an opening song for this season's new Magi series.

-----

That said, I'm totally loving their sound. Their mini's pretty good btw. Please check it if you haven't yet!

news_header_Swimy_art201512.jpg

スイミー(Swimy) - あっちむいて (Acchi Muite) / Gintama 2015 Ending.

This song is so melodic and amazing, it's gotten me addicted. Not only is Gintama one of the best anime airing right now, it comes with a groovy ending theme that's opened my eyes to a new music group, Swimy! Acchi Muite is just so pleasing to the ears, the chorus is so amazing and the instrumentals are to die for, I'm in love. It feels like something that you'd hear on a mixtape if you recieved it from CAT5 or Beni. Try these guys out! I'm contemplating buying this single! 

It's not like I know that much but let me tell you something about PENGUIN RESEARCH, Saku.

As far as I know they're literally a bunch of guys from the industry, who joined forces as a band. Main vocalist Ikuta Yoji used to do vids under the name of PENGUIN RESEARCH where he'd (cover) songs together with other random people/members. He'd usually play guitar himself, if I remember it right. This was before he quit his job and moved towards Tokyo to go for his music career in 2014. He has since worked on arrangements and compositions of music for a variety of (smartphone) games.

Last year he somewhat revived the band with new members. I think it was around the same time it was revealed that Yoji was added to the Band Yarouze! smartphone game/app in which you can find a variety of fictional bands. One of which, Blast, with Yoji's vocals. The other members are voiced by actual voice actors (Masuda Toshiki, Yamashita Daiki, and Ishiya Haruki in the case of Blast). That said, this is not the only voice actor project he's in (though I totally forgot what the other one was about. It was something about Princes and such together with Umehara Yuichiro among others). It seems that the guy himself is affiliated with an agency that manages a bunch of voice actors, and that one of his dreams is to become one himself as well.

Then sometime last year as well, a new song was revealed under the name of PENGUIN RESEARCH: Supercharger. It was the first track involving all the new members, and showing the new and updated style of the band revolving around Ikuta Yoji. This was actually not too long before I first heard about them.

At the end of last year it was then revealed that the band would be taking on the ending song of DRRR X2's last cour. With the end of said anime, there's also been the release of their first mini album just a few days ago, and the revealing of another anime tie-in with an opening song for this season's new Magi series.

-----

That said, I'm totally loving their sound. Their mini's pretty good btw. Please check it if you haven't yet!

thanks so much kaye! I will definitely check out the mini :D

Fantastic job on this @beni and @Original Saku! It's always cool to check stuff like this out, as some of my favorite Japanese songs are for anime.

I'd seen that Megumi Hayashibara song reviewed elsewhere, but this is my first timing hearing it. I can definitely here the ringo!

Also glad to see that hitorie song, as it was one of my favorites from the new album. I always thought they'd make great music for anime, so hopefully they do more.

Sign in to follow this