CAT5

Recommended Tracks: March 2016!

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy this month?

• "link" by ã?¢ã?«ã?«ã?«ã?³ (Arlequin)
    • "è??-ã??みã?ã?ã??- (Yomigaeri)" by AvelCain
    • "æ°?æ?ã¡æ?ªã?ほどæ?´ã??ã?空ã??ã??ã?³ã?­ã§å¡?ã??æ½°ã?ã? (Kimochi warui hodo hareta sora wo penki de nuritsubushita)" by ã?¶ã?¢ã?¶ã?¢ (Xaa-Xaa)
    • "REVELATION" by ç ?æ?? (SATSUKI)
    • "æ·«é­?-BELPHEGOR-" by ã?®ã?£ã?­ (THE GALLO)
    • "KOGEN" by ã? ã??ã? ã?? (munimuni)
    • "Axis" by DEVIZE
    • "æ?²å?? (Hiai)" by MEJIBRAY
    • "å¤?æ?³GALAXXXY (Yoruso GALAXXXY)" by DIV
    • "姦é­?-LEVIATHAN-" by ã?®ã?£ã?­ (THE GALLO)
    • "White Moon" by ã??ã?¤ã??ã?¡ã?¢ (NIGHTMARE)
    • "Reincarnation/Apocalypse" by ç ?æ?? (SATSUKI)
    • "Forever Young" by Crystal Kay
    • "LOVE ME DO" by SCANDAL
    • "ã?¡ã?«ã?·ã?¼ä¼¯ (Merci haku)" by 絶æ?¯ã?¯ã?¸ã?© (Zekkei Kujira)
    • "æ?ã??ã?てã?ã??ç?®ã??ã?てã?ã?? (Koi wo Shiteiru Me wo Shiteiru)" by ã?なまã?? (shinamayu)
    • "Evergreen" by GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE
    • "KARATE" by BABYMETAL
    • "JAPANESE BOY" by 中å¡?æ­¦ (Nakatsuka Takeshi)
    • "CITY DANCER" by Often Mofun
    • "ã?·ã??ã?«ã?«ã??ã??ã??ã?¯ã?¹ (cynical detox)" by ã?·ã??ã?ªã?ªã?¢ã?¼ã?? (Scenarioart)
    • "é«?ç´?娼婦とã?«ã??ã?­ã?ªã? ã?· (koukyuushoufu to kamikirimushi)" by ã?¦ã??ã?¤ã?? (UNiTE.)
    • "Tokyo" by é?¨ã®ã??ã?¬ã?¼ã?? (Ame no Parade)
    • "Around the World" by Heavenstamp
    • "Cry & Fight" by ä¸?浦大ç?¥ (Daichi Miura)
    • "ç??ã??と輝く (Koukou to kagayaku)" by ç¥?はã?µã?¤ã?³ã?­ã??æ?¯ã??なã? (Kami wa saikoro wo furanai)
    • "Winterfell" by EARTHISTS.
    • "Through The Deep" by The fin.
    • "西東京 (NishiTokyo)" by 赤ã?å?¬å?? (Akai Ko-en)
    • "subliminal" by TK from å??とã?てæ??é?¨ (ling tosite sigure)
    • "The Nexus" by OVUM
    • "空è?のæ??é?¨ (utsusemi no shigure)" by Chouchou
    • "You Me" by YTAMO
    • "Sakura" by Chocolat & Akito
    • "my own song" by ã?¢ã?³ã??ã?£ã?« (anfiel)
    • "è?ºå­ (Neji)" by DADAROMA

It's that time again! The Official Review Team is back to recommend you some of the most worthwhile new music, and boy do we have a heaping helping this month! To accomodate, we've made some slight changes to the format, but rest assured the content is the same as usal. Major thanks this month to our guest contributor @yakihiko! Enjoy!

@emmny's Picks:

"link" by アルルカン (Arlequin)

artist

The general consensus on Arlequin here at MH was that they had mostly run out of steam--which is a shame considering they were once the most exciting visual kei newcomers since like...forever. Arlequin won pretty much everyone over with their deliciously heavy and hyper-melodic bleep-bloopy visualcore sound. The issue was that their first full length didn't have much to it outside of the strength of the singles, and each single after that sounded like a remake of their old songs. On their new single PARANOIA, the band break from the monopoly led by Nao, passing the wheel to bassist Shohei for "link". Nao is an entirely competent composer and an amazing lead guitarist, but adding other members into the compositional fold has helped lift their sound from their stagnation of previous singles. It's still the same style, just with a greater emphasis on rhythm and simplicity while still remaining engaging. The structure is quite dizzying throughout its five minute run time, but while other bands can fall flat on their faces bouncing back and forth between so many styles,  Arlequin do it without breaking a sweat. A particularly striking moment is the chorus: it hits hard with guitars in the midst of a breakdown while Aki soars over the crashing instrumentation with his vocals. "link" has a certain je ne sais quoi that Arlequin have been lacking, a feeling that's common between all of PARANOIA.

"蘇-よみがえり- (Yomigaeri)" by AvelCain

artist

Let's get the elephant out the room; AvelCain surprised everyone and their grandma by announcing that they'll be disbanding this July, and I'm still shocked. It's as interesting as it is surprising, considering I'm not sure as to whether I'll miss the band themselves or whether I'll miss the image they created under producer eve. It's kind of complicated considering AvelCain weren't a traditional visual kei band really, they were mostly just a vessel for eve's songwriting and production. However; as a vessel or muse, AvelCain were brilliant at what they did. They lived in stunning gothic character 24/7, bringing back a sense of melodrama reminiscent of kote-kei greats back to the scene. The sense of darkness and despair from their looks seeped into the equally tortured and heavy compositions, but the heaviness was always married together with a strong sense of melody. "蘇-よみがえり-" shows AvelCain at their very best, pairing the chunky 7-string riffage and plunging basslines with orchestral synth touches and Karma's perfectly whiney vocals. It's a similar stylistic palette from "MOON", also trudging on ground previously covered by eve and AvelCain--but it's just so addictive. Let's see what's in-store from now 'till July, they're are full of surprises and they have a few more months to throw everything at us before the curtain draws shut.

"気持ち悪いほど晴れた空をペンキで塗り潰した (Kimochi warui hodo hareta sora wo penki de nuritsubushita)" by ザアザア (Xaa-Xaa)

artist

The indie queens who lit 2015 (and Shounenki's career) on fire are back with a best album and their second single after only being active for a little more than a year. Xaa-Xaa's music is as addictive as crack, I'd be pressed to find a visual fan who wouldn't like at least a few songs of theirs; their mix of mid 2000's visual kei and genuine weirdness combined with amazing songwriting makes for a disorienting yet fun listen. The only new song off their best album, "気持ち悪いほど晴れた空をペンキで塗り潰した"  opens with a wild drum beat and guitar hellfire that isn't too far off of a Thursday song from 2006. It continues with that post-hardcore influence but mixes it with a copious dose of balladry and a chorus which oddly enough invokes "SCREEN" by D'espairsRay. I can't tell whether I like this so much due to the nostalgia factor or because of the contrast between the balladry and straight up rock--but what's for sure is that Xaa-Xaa have an x-factor no one else in the scene possesses.

"REVELATION" by 砂月 (SATSUKI)

artist

Satsuki has mostly turned into a meme/joke on here, and the mediocre pop he's been sprouting for the past six or so years since the inception of his solo project hasn't done much to curb the dumb stuff he does on the side (a massively pointless EU tour, tanuki drama etc.). It's hard to believe he was once the vocalist of seminal visual band RENTRER EN SOI, but with the release of his foray back into metal APOCALPYSE, Satsuki's is flying out of visual hell with full force--showing exactly what we fell so deeply in love with back in the day. The screams have come back with a revenge, miles better than the cookie-monster growls he was once capable of, but "REVELATION" best highlights Satsuki at his most purely angelic on the djent/metalcore styled track. The instrumental is unremarkable outside of the intro/outro sequence of 7-string guitars and drums bouncing off each other MESHUGGAH style (believe it or not), but Satsuki owns every second of the track. The typical djent combo of downtuned, rhythmic guitars paired with a high-pitched vocalist comes to new heights with Satsuki's angelic vocals being thrown in the fold along with his sharp pop sensibilities. I'm partially just happy to hear him back on a metal track, but the chemistry he has with this style of metal is more than just a flub--its real potential, something that I haven't felt from Satsuki in a long time.

"淫魔-BELPHEGOR-" by ギャロ (THE GALLO)

artist

Some tracks lend themselves to a long description, some tracks are just too wacky for a brief review. THE GALLO are the funky band that frequently defies explanation; mixing some metalcore, some weird funk, black-fucking-metal track titles and all sorts of visual kei goodness into an insanely fun experience. I like to think of "淫魔-BELPHEGOR-" as a visual kei band field trip to the circus; the verse makes me feel like I'm marching in a children's show (Dora The Explorer kei, anyone?), starting and stopping with Jojo's call-and-response vocals to himself. Its oddly danceable, oddly melodic, kinda headbang worthy and oddly spacey at times. "淫魔-BELPHEGOR-" is a exactly why THE GALLO are one of the more prominent eccentrics of the scene--no one does it like them, and further explanation is pointless--just give it a spin for yourself.

"KOGEN" by ムニムニ (munimuni)

artist

MUNIMUNI don't need much of an introduction considering they've been active on/off for eleven years, garnering a cult following in the indies scene for their mix of post-punk/goth rock with visual kei and alternative rock--similar to bands like DISH, emmurée, LAB. THE BASEMENT, ANGRAYSE and …。【サイレンス】. While they're a band that's mostly rooted in the goth-rock/post-punk of the late 70's/80's, this song finds them playing with delayed and reverb-y tremolo picked guitars not too far from a band like MONO or even THE NOVEMBERS.  "KOGEN" combines dream-pop/shoegaze and post-rock along with a fabulously dark post-punk backbone. Cantou's vocals adapt a Ryuutaro (Plastic Tree) quality whinyness, contrasting with his otherwise monotone delivery. "KOGEN" is delicious and totally relevant to today's visual kei scene in that it breaks from the stagnation of the current scene--the young kids should learn a thing or two from these old dogs.

@tetsu_sama69's Picks:

"Axis" by DEVIZE

artist

Now I was just as enthralled when I saw the teasers for this band and heard the first previews as a lot of others were. There are mixed feelings for lots of people out there who checked out their first single release and I have to say I'm on the side of supporting this new band signed to Double River. The vocals shine strong throughout this high energy track even though the screams fall a little short in some parts. The heavy drums are extremely addicting and the strong bass keeps up the pace of the track. My only complaint is that I wish the guitar was a bit stronger as it's a very rhythm-carried song, and yet that's what makes me like it so much.

"悲哀 (Hiai)" by MEJIBRAY

artist

This song really got me good when I heard it. Even though I wasn't a fan of the title track of Agitato Grimoire, this b-side stuck its claws deep into me and refused to let go. The intro is extremely haunting with its orchestral infusion which mingles great with already proven solid backing from the band's instrumentals. One of the reasons I like this track as well is that I don't feel overwhelmed with the warbling vocals that Tsuzuku tends to overdo in some songs. Instead the song overflows with the strong emotion expressed with a lovely mix of slightly harsh vocals and soft instrumentals. Definitely a standout track in MEJIBRAY's colorful and mixed releases, and I wish they would give us more music just like this.

"夜想GALAXXXY (Yoruso GALAXXXY)" by DIV

artist

For a while DIV's music kinda fell into a stream of bland releases for me after SECRET NIGHT and I was about to give up on them until I heard previews for EDR TOKYO. The whole mini-album is a punch in the face of the techno-infused, positive-vibes rock that I feel defines them as a whole since they do it so damn well. It was hard to pick a song that stood out since the whole release is a roller coaster ride of awesome, but in the end I found myself in love with "Yoruso GALAXXXY". The electronica is a lot more prominent in this track, but it fits the song so well even though I'm not a big fan of the genre itself. DIV gives me an appreciation for the style with this extremely infectious track. 

"姦魔-LEVIATHAN-" by ギャロ (THE GALLO)

artist

DIAVOLO is probably a shoe-in for one of the best albums of the year for many people and The GALLO didn't hold back with this one bit. Even though there are so many tracks in this entire release which I cannot get out of my head, this one grabbed me pretty damn quick. Perhaps because its pace is different from many of the other tracks, with its jazzy vibe that The GALLO do so well. Jojo's vocals to me are a wonderful mix of Garo and Kiyoharu and carry the song so well. The guitar is so tasty as it spices up the wonderful bass lines and solid drumming throughout the song. Something about the track is very early MERRY for me, and maybe that's why I love it so damn much. The GALLO know what the hell they are doing.

@ShanethVarosa's Picks:

"White Moon" by ナイトメア (NIGHTMARE)

artist

The kings of hit-and-miss are back at it again. Seemingly throwing some songs together and releasing them unto the masses has been their game for several years now, but they haven't quite caught fire like "Awakening" in some time. Maybe "Rewrite" and "Blur" were good songs, but this is actually Yomi at his finest. His voice doesn't sound strained and the composition is a visual take on pop/rock a la Alice Nine circa Alpha. This single was far from a rude awakening.

"Reincarnation/Apocalypse" by 砂月 (SATSUKI)

artist

I'm not even sure how else to describe this combination of songs other than simply incredible. While "Reincarnation" may just be an introduction to the EP Apocalypse, it fits the mood perfectly and blends into the title track effortlessly. The quote from "Tomorrowland" is also incredibly apt. The title track itself doesn't have a plethora of lyrics or even melodic sounds, but if what he was going for was a theme of devastation and despair...  he did it perfectly. 

"Forever Young" by Crystal Kay

artist

Never mind that this is a cover or that it is a b-side to Crystal's new single "Sakura", "Forever Young" is captivating. Sure the original is in my native tongue, but the translation fits the song extremely well and the simplistic composition brings Crystal's gorgeous voice to the forefront. 

beni's Picks:

"LOVE ME DO" by SCANDAL

artist

For such a painfully mediocre release from the girl group you'd expect to be THE chicks of pop rock, I can't encourage you enough to steer clear of it. But there is one good egg of a track that can be found in the album. "LOVE ME DO" is a sickeningly sweet and charming number. The high school lovesick teenage theme going on makes "LOVE ME DO" a romantically chirpy song, and typically SCANDAL fashioned thanks to the band's main vocalist's distinctive nasal tone and girl group chorus delivery. Extremely endearing and totally catchy with its Engrish lyrics against the repetitive guitars chugs and drum bashes, you're going to have a tough job getting its chorus out of your head any time soon.

"メルシー伯 (Merci haku)" by 絶景クジラ (Zekkei Kujira)

artist

Any J-music lover who already knew of this band I take my hat off to. Being a new personal discovery this month, I couldn't have fallen for this band any harder than I have, and for once it's not because of the vocalist! While it's very bumpy and pitchy in some parts, which shows how rough around the edges they are (as expected for a new and upcoming girl band), the overall sound is something truly exquisite and it can be forgiven and appreciated. The trippy distortion of certain sounds coming from every angle at different cues gives the song many layers and chances to grace your ears with something new each play. The shifts of alternative to electronic to soft rock is fluently done. Random group singing to a masterfully executed guitar solo makes me think these girls have been ripping the scene for years, and it just goes to prove they mean business. I can not be any more pumped for their upcoming first mini-album!

"恋をしている目をしている (Koi wo Shiteiru Me wo Shiteiru)" by しなまゆ (shinamayu)

artist

This was a surprisingly splendid EP release from the female fronted band shinamayu. Being the only PV for the release and the mini-album's main track, it's a selling point in every way. One thing is the sheer enjoyment of their music, and the other is how they incorporate so many little things to make it so entertaining. From the glorious vocalization in its first few seconds to the repetitive, groovy yet rocking chorus, surely there's no one who wouldn't be able to hold themselves back from letting loose and jammingto it. This package is filled with fun and charm all the way through. Don't skip on this release!

"Evergreen" by GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE

artist

I never gave these boys a chance nor was I ever interested in doing so. That was until I heard the current opening of ONE PIECE and then looked forward to this album, titled SPEEDSTER, which actually had plenty of stand out moments. One of these is definitely "Evergreen", which makes me beyond happy that it has a PV (see below) that makes the tune even more enjoyable. What gives it even more flare is the visuals, with your typical but awesome boy group dancing with neatly added lighting effects against their hands while they're tearing up the dance-floor. It really shows off the choreography. Song wise, it's also superb, mainly because while it's the expected "party hard" kind of tune from such artists, it stands out as one of the best I've ever heard. If you don't put this one on repeat you're not partying hard enough!

@fitear1590's Picks:

"KARATE" by BABYMETAL

artist

The princesses of perpetuating the "WTF Japan?!" myth just dropped their second album, METAL RESISTANCE. "Karate" is the promo single and it's a chug-tastic djent-fest, where lead vocalist Su-Metal shines. BABYMETAL is often accused for being just a gimmick. The genre gumbo of early singles like "いいね! (ii ne!)" had shock factor, but it was also a bit of a mess. Songs like "KARATE," however, continue to show that they have found their groove, proving that idol pop and metal can make a convincing mix. Looking forward to hearing the full album!

"JAPANESE BOY" by 中塚武 (Nakatsuka Takeshi)

artist

This song is a jumble of jittery jazz and man, is it fun! Big band stylings à la Shiina Ringo's 平成風俗 (Heisei Fuuzoku) merge seamlessly with a futuristic CORNELIUS-esque electronic sensibility. If there are any plans of making another Katamari Damacy video game, then this song would surely be a welcome addition to the requisite quirky soundtrack.

"CITY DANCER" by Often Mofun

artist

Often Mofun is a new band that just debuted with their Tiny Boxes mini-album. First reaction: the resurrection of Muzai-era Shiina Ringo is real! What we have here is a lovely tribute to retro-tinged j-pop with some very classic melodies and chord progressions. I suspect the band will get dinged by Ringo purists for being too derivative, but it's still a very solid effort: tight instrumentation (dat bass) and effortless vocals. PS, the entire mini is also worth a listen and helps to differentiate the band's sound a bit more!

"シニカルデトックス (cynical detox)" by シナリオアート (Scenarioart)

artist

Dynamic trio Scenarioart needed a timeout after last year's ho-hum album Happy Umbrella. Though I thought the greedy hand of major labeldom finally snatched them up (see: @CAT5's post), it looks like I was just worrying too much; their releases since then have won me over again. The lead single from their latest and curiously titled mini-album dumping swimmer (sounds like an awful bathroom euphemism) shows a beautiful return to form with dual vocal trade-offs, math-pop fun, and the newest addition to their arsenal: a "meow" breakdown. Deal with it. The PV also guest features three eccentric dancers who I'm assuming are famous (I recognize one half of AyaBambi though)!

"高級娼婦とカミキリムシ (koukyuushoufu to kamikirimushi)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

artist

This month UNiTE. confused our brains and wallets by releasing a 7-type pop-rock single fronted with an earthy art-kei look. One of the b-sides only complicates things more. Guitarist LiN has always been the most eclectic composer in the band and this song is just further proof of that. Grounded in the playful Halloween-flair of earlier b-sides like "Love_Duck_Core_Nothing," this track surprises with twangy oldschool VK riffs and atmosphere. UNiTE. might be a little all over the place, but somehow they make it work, time and again. That's why we love 'em, right?

@saishuu's Picks:

"Tokyo" by 雨のパレード (Ame no Parade)

artist

雨のパレード can be very hit-or-miss when it comes to their releases; last year's new place took most people by surprise, but then the hype kind of died down after a mediocre EP. And then came Tokyo. I was both excited and apprehensive at first given how this was their major debut, but a few moments into the music video I was completely sold. "Tokyo" is just one of those songs that make you feel good for whatever reason. 雨のパレード's minimalistic pop sensibilities are in full display here and as always it's the subtlety of their music that makes it so pleasant. [/size]Also, in an age where music videos need to have something totally out of the box to make an impact, the band succeeded in making an extremely compelling video pretty much relying on city imagery and, most importantly, the vocalist's ridiculous amount of charisma, which actually manage to elevate the song even more. If Japan is indeed experiencing some sort of "city pop" revival lately, this should be the flagship song for it.

"Around the World" by Heavenstamp

artist

Heavenstamp is a difficult band to understand. Back when they started in 2010, there was so much hype surrounding them that it was expected they would make it big, perhaps not even exclusively in Japan. But they never did. Instead, their output has been almost non-existent since their self-titled debut full-length back in 2012, except for a lackluster EP that came out in 2014. Now it seems the band is trying to come back and rebuild their brand with a new song and a new YouTube channel featuring new content. Clocking at almost 6 minutes, "Around the World" features a more polished production and marks a much appreciated return to form for the band. Sally's trademark high vocal notes are back in full force here, this time coupled with a big background chorus and an ongoing mellow vibe that help it reach that "big sounding" quality the band was known for, especially in their early EPs (Hype, Stand by you and Waterfall).

"Cry & Fight" by 三浦大知 (Daichi Miura)

artist

In a mainstream market heavily dominated with idols and often uninspired, sappy pop music, Daichi Miura is a huge breath of fresh air, especially when it comes to male pop artists. And he has been for almost a decade now, no matter how underappreciated his music may be (perhaps still due to his unconventional looks). “Cry & Fight” is just another one in a big line of very strong singles from Daichi’s career that a lot of people tend to overlook. Although at this point it’s hard to say there’s a lot of diversity to his music, this new single finds Daichi doing what he knows best – super catchy and loud dance music – and it’s nothing short of impressive.

"煌々と輝く (Koukou to kagayaku)" by 神はサイコロを振らない (Kami wa saikoro wo furanai)

artist

I decided to give 神はサイコロを振らない a shot the same way I used to do with most Visual Kei bands back in the day, by doing a blind listen after finding one of their band pictures at random, being instantly drawn to their aesthetic (which, admittedly, doesn't happen often with indie groups) and then getting past their weird name. Turns out these newcomers have brought one of the nicest surprises of the month when it comes to the indie scene. In what seems to be their first official release, "煌々と輝く" finds the band in an emotionally-packed ride featuring some of the math-like, dreamy quality that's been missing since the demise of the gone-too-soon 宇宙コンビニ (Uchuu Conbini) and the musical sensibility of some big names in Japan, like RADWIMPS. It'll definitely be interesting to see where the band goes next once (and hopefully!) they find an audience and manage to stay active.

@doombox's Picks:

"Winterfell" by EARTHISTS.

artist

The misleadingly cheerful piano intro may be the first clue you're not in for a run-of-the-mill metalcore track. The vocals bounce back and forth between screams and gentle harmonies while djent-y muted guitar riffs weave through the playful piano that started it all. It's an unexpected and emotional take on what EARTHISTS. brand as 'naturecore'.  "Winterfell" is truly spellbinding by the time it nears the end of its four and a half minutes. And it becomes crystal clear how this band got on Tragic Hero Records' radar with only a bandcamp single and just over a year of shows under their belts. I expect these guys to make some huge international waves very soon.

"Through The Deep" by The fin.

artist

The fin. remain as chill and hypnotizing as ever. "Through The Deep" has a pulsing drum line, but warm, sweeping guitar strums keep everything light and breezy. It's the kind of song that stays in a comfortable pocket as it marches along, not bothering to travel in any other direction since it's perfectly content with its simple, laid-back approach. Yuto's nonchalant vocals are more rhythm than melody here, yet they compliment the other components effortlessly to make this track the perfect welcome distraction in all the right ways.

CAT5's Picks:

"西東京 (NishiTokyo)" by 赤い公園 (Akai Ko-en)

artist

I dislike major labels. This may be a hackneyed stance in this day and age, and perhaps one that ignores the artistic responsibilities of musicians, but strictly speaking from my experience, I've witnessed too many promising bands make the jump from indiehood only to subsequently fall apart or embark on a career of utter mediocrity. Now that's not to say that major labels are inherently bad or that all music released through major labels isn't worthwhile (quite a bit of it is), but more often than not, they've been the common denominator amongst the decline of auspicious indie bands. Such was the case for me with Akai Ko-en. They were undoubtedly one of my most hyped up-and-coming bands at one point, but since going major, their music has taken a sharp turn into the staunchly forgettable. For the most part, their latest album played out this way as well, but "NishiTokyo" was a glaring exception! It's a heavily distorted and frenzied track with melodic punk leanings - a stark contrast to the bombastic pop-rock they've been churning out these days. They almost sound like a female 9mm Parabellum Bullet here. Shame that the song is barely 2 minutes long.

"subliminal" by TK from 凛として時雨 (ling tosite sigure)

artist

TK is spent. We've heard every trick in his book by now. If you've been following his career up until this point, starting with his band ling tosite sigure, then you've already heard his best. At one point, he seemed like a creative powerhouse capable of doing no wrong, but he's since become a shadow of his former self. His songwriting has become so stagnant by now that it's difficult for older fans not to feel jaded about new material, but on his new EP "Secret Sensation", he's attempted to spice things up by adding a few overt electronic elements into his music. "subliminal" is the most effective track on the EP, and while it does boast your typical TK formula, the song is so well done that even a small cosmetic addition (like the main synth) is enough to make it seem somewhat fresh. Now this still isn't enough to win back disenchanted fans, but it's a proper, albeit small, step in the right direction for TK. And while it's difficult to NOT compare TK to his former glory, the song is still great in its own right.

"The Nexus" by OVUM

artist

Instrumental rockers OVUM have been active since 2006, and they've had a fairly modest career spanning the course of two albums and two EPs. Unfortunately, they've never quite stood out among the hoardes of Japanese post-rock and math-rock bands, but they've always delivered quality. On their latest EP, "Nostalgia", the band claimed that they wanted to 'adopt a heavier and more aggressive approach' and now describe themselves as "metal-oriented instrumental rock". This is hardly anything new or special in the world of instrumental rock, though. In fact, on the riveting standout "The Nexus" OVUM almost sounds like they're doing their best MONO impersonation until the track explodes into a fest of soaring tremolos and epic chugging. OVUM may be far from being the most inventive instrumental rock band out there, but they still manage to write compelling music.

"空蝉の時雨 (utsusemi no shigure)" by Chouchou

artist

Downtempo electronic Jpop duo Chouchou just released a remix album titled "remix04 rem", but the remixes themselves are more like stripped down, alternative piano versions of the originals - as opposed to complete reworkings. "utsusemi no shigure" stands out particularly for its beautifully somber melodies. The minimal, IDM-like electronics of the original have been replaced by ambient pianos and the song has taken on a sound that almost resembles modern classical. It's an absolutely gorgeous rendition that easily surpasses the original!

"You Me" by YTAMO

artist

Experimental musician YTAMO isn't very well known, although a few may recognize her from avant-pop band ウリチパン郡 (Urichipangoon), which she formed with her husband and fellow experimentalist Oorutaichi. Fame clearly isn't YTAMO's goal, though. She makes the kind of music that is inherently at odds with commercialism. In fact, her new album "Mi Wo" was created to accompany an exhibition with the Argentinian artist Natali Katz, and like most art, YTAMO's music is best left open to interpretation; it seems to defy conventional classifications. However, "You Me" is one of the more straightforward songs on the album. It has a definite groove, simplistic melodies, and soothing, Cokiyu-eseque vocals, but the song's appeal lies in its underlying, avant-garde nature. It meanders aimlessly, yet perfectly. You never really know where the song is going, but you don't have to - the ride itself is gleefully hypnotizing.

"Sakura" by Chocolat & Akito

artist

The invariably sunny husband/wife lounge-pop duo Chocolat & Akito have just released a new collaboration album in which they've teamed up with southern Californian surf jazz twins The Mattson 2. The album was mixed by Tortoise's John McEntire and features guest musicians like Ray Barbee, Tommy Guerrero, and one of my personal favorites - Toro Y Moi! "sakura" is just one example of the fine music that this ensemble has come together to create. It combines the beautiful vocal harmonies and shibuya-kei flavors of Chocolat & Akito with the jazzy psychedelia of The Mattsons, making for one sublimely rollicking tune!

Guest Picks:

"my own song" by アンフィル (anfiel)

artist

I got into Anfiel in the beginning of this year after seeing their first full album on a friend's list. Since that, day I became familiar with their songs and felt that their music was slowly growing on me with every listen. "my own song" is my favorite on this release, and it's one of the b-sides from this single. "my own song" could be easily an a-side, as there isn't a lack of quality, while a lot of bands clearly give more attention to a-sides, and have of lame b-sides. The track is an incredible song itself, and makes the full single even more magic. Shogo's voice is so elegant and tranquil that it can easily fit with the guitar riffs and the soft, electronic atmosphere of the song, It offers to you a priceless harmony from beginning to the end that would surely catch your indie heart in the lightest day or in the darkest night.

- @yakihiko

"螺子 (Neji)" by DADAROMA

artist

The masterpiece is out, and it's flawless as I expected. I can't remember being so excited about a song as I am with "Neji". For the ones who like the kind of music DADAROMA does, you will be a bit surprised with this one, it totally goes in another direction. It brings a new experience, a ballad which always fits perfectly with Yoshiatsu's voice. "Neji" is the song I was missing with DADAROMA's music for so long, so I'm thankful to see this one was finally made. For the very first time since they began, I can say I love a song 100%. If I could actually marry this song, I would. Oh boy.

- @yakihiko

See you next time. :3

Thank you for the list guys, some really interesting picks in here. Thank you for having me once again :D

@@emmny Glad to see you like ザアザア thing...

"Xaa-Xaa's music is as addictive as crack" also this one is probably the mostly correct sentence to say about this guys.

@@beni Going to check this GENERATIONS release, I totally missed it.

@@saishuu I like "Cry&Fight" after seeing his MV on yt, but I have never saw things from him here, so I wasn't expecting to see this Daichi song.

@@CAT5 Not surprised to see TK in your picks list xD It's a powerful release, I was busy so wasn't able to do a song from him :/ My favorites on it are: Secret Sensation, ear+f, like there is tomorrow, subliminal (on this order).

What about GALLO always giving demons names on ALL of their songs? What will happen when the names end? Will they began a religious project?

Lol Forever young by Anfiel

@@emmny - Man, I love everything about that munimuni track, except for the vocals! I had to smirk to myself when you mentioned Plastic Tree's Ryutaro, because that is one vocalist that I simply cannot stand. XD Does he usually sound like this?

@@tetsu_sama69 - I enjoyed the DIV mini as a whole, but you chose my favorite track! :D

@@beni - very nice discovery with Zekkei Kujira, they're pretty cute. Shinamayu is also pretty interesting considering the different tracks they had on their mini.

@@fitear1590 - Really glad to see you wrote about Often Mofun. I REALLY enjoyed the first half of their EP. Shiina Ringo did not come to my mind, but that's an interesting comparison. Also, mona records is great!

@@saishuu - our tastes can be REALLY similar sometimes! I absolutely love that Ame no parade song. I enjoyed the album too, even though it's kind of just good background music. I'm also surprised that Heavenstamp never really caught fire - glad they're still at it, though. Kamisai sounds like they have a lot of potential - I especially appreciate the vocalist. That Daichi track is really good. Surprisingly good actually. I never really paid attention to him, but I know @beni likes him too.

@@yakihiko - sorry! I fixed that error. Also I like when DADAROMA stick to their rock/metal, emotional side.

Great list all in all. Thanks for helping put this together, everyone! :D

Shout out to my main man @emmny for reppin' tha MUNIMUNI crew!

shoutouts for sharing that awesome mini! im adding 'em to the list of bands to follow, they're gr8!

And even my favorite A KILLS A song!

you have good taste *wink wink*

@@emmny Glad to see you like ザアザア thing...

"Xaa-Xaa's music is as addictive as crack" also this one is probably the mostly correct sentence to say about this guys.

then it makes the two of us! proud xaa-xaa addicts LOL

@@emmny - Man, I love everything about that munimuni track, except for the vocals! I had to smirk to myself when you mentioned Plastic Tree's Ryutaro, because that is one vocalist that I simply cannot stand. XD Does he usually sound like this?

he's usually a touch more monotone, this was the only song that i remembered the ryuutaro-isms coming out but jig's the resident munimuni expert ask him ^>^

this was my introduction to them actually!

@@emmny

Just got to finally listen to ザアザア'a best album fully, and besides 気持ち悪いほど晴れた空をペンキで塗り潰した, you mention on the list, 今宵は鬱くしい is a new song too

@yakihiko - 今宵は鬱くしい was actually on the release they did with Shellmy so it's not a new song but iirc that single was only sold for a day?

XAA-XAA is indeed addictive. They have a warning label attached to them for a reason. haha

Anyway, I'm really liking 気持ち悪いほど晴れた空をペンキで塗り潰した off the album. It's my current jam.
As for したいだけでしょ?, I like 悲しいなら手を叩こう, especially after hearing it play a million times at the instore I went to on Sunday, but overall this release is probably my least favorite from them.The other two songs are fine but I'm not really feeling them very often.

As for THE GALLO's DIAVOLO, I'm still digging BELIAL, but I also like BEHEMOTH and LEVIATHAN. It seems I'm of the unpopular opinion when it comes to BELPHEGOR, I'm not really into it.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Avanchick's new single. I must've listened to 他人の不幸は蜜の味 at least 200 times in the past week.

I also got VRZEL's Dear Omen free CD and thought that was pretty cool.

yeah 今宵は鬱くしい was released back in August at the two man with Shellmy--sold for only one day.

I need to give 気持ち悪いほど晴れた空をペンキで塗り潰した more of a listen. But I am quite pleased with their newest release--I honestly like したいだけでしょ? more than 死にたい probably and possibly 雪時計 too. but I haven't had much time to listen recently so that's liable to change. So far I'm feeling pretty positive towards it though. 

Wow, so many tracks this month! Thanks for always doing this guys~

@emmny: Props to you for featuring AvelCain again! Can't stop headbanging to that song! I sure am going to miss them...Their constant "gothic character" was what made me grow so attracted to them, not gonna lie.

I don't know what has been holding me back, but I'm gonna need to check MUNIMUNI right away now!

@tetsu_sama69: Yessss, HIAI!!! Probably my most played track all year so far. I've been waiting for a good heart-wrenching ballad like this. It reminds me a bit of some of my favorites like これを依存と呼ぶなら and 剥落.

@CAT5: It's my first time listening to OVUM, but they seem pretty interesting! I'm always open for some instrumental rock~

@yakihiko: Neji is quite a masterpiece indeed! My favorite after Oboreru sakana. They're both probably the best songs they've ever done so far.

@@Duwang @@anakuro I knew the title typo wans't strange, but I never got to hear it, so that's what happened.

I also got VRZEL's Dear Omen free CD and thought that was pretty cool.

That's what my pm was about, if you had like this song in special or if you are a fan of them :)

do you have twitter?

@@plastic_rainbow I would say that for me, 螺子 and MONEY are my love in DADAROMA songs :D

@yakihiko - I like VRZEL. A friend of mine loves them so I've seen them live a few times. They're a band I like to go see but I don't have any of their music other than Dear Omen. I might look into them more since they seem to play with other bands I like pretty often. (I actually just saw them last week)

And yes I do

I'd like to add that since my previous post in I've come to like 螺子. DADAROMA's music is very hit/miss for me but like this song. Pretty cool stuff