Sign in to follow this  
jurideluhi

Foreign language

List out foreign language(s) you're currently learning or maybe you will learn someday.? :mrgreen:

hm.My country here,the native language is malay.But I speak english most of the time.Also because the course I would be taking in university will be all english.Still I would count english as my second foreign language because sometimes it is kinda hard for me when it comes to high vocabulary :shock:

Foreign language I'm currently learning :

1.Japanese

2.English

Btw,are there anyone who are also learning Japanese? Its hard for me to understand japanese kanji. :| If you think it is easy,share some tips to me would you? :banjo:

First foreign language I learned was english.

Then Latin. (lol)

Then French. It's still enough to read a text, but I can't really speak it anymore.

Then Spanish, but I suck at it.

Then Japanese.

Not really learning anything right now, cause I'm busy, but languages I would love to learn some day:

Russian

Something Scandinavian, like Norwegian or Icelandic. Finnish would be fun, but the grammer scares me.

Maybe Hebrew or Arabic.

Obviously not all at once. If I get one more language done somewhat, I'd actually be happy.

i lived in Indonesia for many years before i follow my Dad return to the U.S.A, so i could speak Indonesian fluently.

Talk a little Hokkien, Hakka and Javanese cos families from my Mom's side are Chinese and Javanese.

Was learning Mandarin in school but don't really master it, the kanji writing is tough, the spelling is tough.

A little mistakes can make the words have different meanings. Not to mention hundreds of kanji to learn (ancient kanji not included).

So yah, only can know Ni Hao Ma and some other basic stuffs :lol:

and a little Spanish, cos i live in C.A, i encounter Spanish quite often around my neighborhood,

oh and also some rapper street talks, if that considered as language :mrgreen:

am interested with some EU languages.

Language are fun subjects! I like to learn French, Germans (know a little Bavarians though cos my ex is one), Russian, Finnish, Swedish.

Arabic would be fun too, just in case :D

I studied German at school for about eight years, got stuck doing French at some point during the middle of high school and hated it, continued learning German on my own when I left then tried Dutch, but decided there wasn't much point in that since most of the Dutch know English :D Started studying Japanese, I can read it better than I can write it because kanji requires a certain artistic finesse, I think, that I don't possess. Typing/listening/speaking is fine. Wouldn't say I was anywhere near fluent. Considered taking Thai lessons too, don't know why I never got into that.

I wouldn't mind learning Russian or Swedish.

Edited by SUBLIMINAL

I'm learning French in school, but considering that I hardly do any work... I am not very good at it. The conjugating is the worst for me. I just want to kill the irregular verbs.

I took spanish in high school.

Now at the university, I'm in advanced German and intermediate level Japanese. Japanese is really fun, but as people have said, kanji is a bitch. I'm at about 250 kanji so far... German is great, though. I had a like a 20 minute conversation with my teacher fully in German a few weeks ago. It was a milestone for me, haha. I'm always afraid to mess up when I speak it, but I did pretty well that day!

Anyway, I loooove learning foreign languages. Hopefully I can learn more Tagalog one day, too. I always feel like fail when I can't speak it to my relatives.

Would love to learn Norwegian or Arabic as well. Basically, I wish I didn't have to get a job. I want to just learn languages all the time, haha.

I only actually speak English and tidbits of French, well that's a bit of a lie I can speak enough to get me around a French speaking country or Province.

I've recently purchased books 'bout Norwegian dialects and all that jazz so I'm hoping I'll get off my ass and learn some Norwegian. I "knew" basic Korean, and when I say "knew" I mean I had a friend who translated everything for me when I went over there. :D

My mothertongue is Italian, since I am born and still living here XD

Foreign language:

English (6 years old at elementary school - still now at high school)

French (10 - 13, at middle school)

Japanese (13 - still now, by myself >_>)

Latin (13 at middle school - still now at high school LOL)

Ancient greek (14 - still now, at high school LOOOL)

I'd like to study Japanese at the university together with another language (and not another asian one D:), maybe increasing my French or starting a new one, but I don't know which x_x;

My native language is Czech and I can understand very well slovakian language, it's very similar to my native language, so :D. But many czech people don't understand O.o.

I'm learning only English, in a way I'm glad because I can more focus on it...

But someday I really would like to learn some other language, but I'm not good in learning :/

I tried japanese, but I'd need a teacher.

Korean would be nice too, hangul is so nice :D

also some Scandinavian language

My native language is Czech and I can understand very well slovakian language, it's very similar to my native language, so :D. But many czech people don't understand O.o.

^the same here, Italian is really similiar to Romanian (but the same, i can't understand a lot) and in some words to Spanish/Portoguese/French (even sometimes in English but for these four only the vocabulary DD:)

i learned english in school and i started learning japanese since 2001.

the time when i started to watch lots of anime

i only knew about kanji since 2007.

aside from that language, i'm interested in european languages being influenced by norse mythology, anime and video games.

Dutch is my native language, and I can speak English. I also know som German, French, Japanese, Danish, Frisian, and Spanish

My first language is Finnish, I have Swedish and English at school, Japanese outside school on a course-type-of-thing. I used to have French (Ages 10-15), but I decided I didn't want to continue it.

I'd really want to learn Irish language, Hindi or Esperanto at some point of my life.

@ronluna You learned about kanji or you actually learned kanji in 2007? Cause if you just, uh, found about kanji at that point, I'd really like to know how you managed to watch anime for six years without realizing there are kanji :D

Dutch is my native language too, English I've been confronted with for as long as I can remember so I can speak that well too.

At school I learned some languages

German; Can understand and read without problems, but speaking will be a bumpy ride

French; Can read but it ends there.

Latin; Used to be able to read a bit, forgotten everything. Latin vocabulary helps me with southern European languages though.

Ancient Greek; Let's not go there.

And currently learning Japanese though I'm a bit of a slacker so yea.

First language is english. I learned spanish throughout school and was really good but it bored me so since high school I haven't kept with it at all and while I can understand and read fine, speaking would be a nightmare for me probably.

I started studying Japanese on my own off and on some years from 7th grade and i'm pretty good but I kinda screwed myself over not being consistent with it though, I should be better =/. I also attempted Korean, Thai and arabic throughout those years. Of the 3 I can only read and understand some Korean. I want to start back on those 3 someday though an also I'd like to learn Russian.

@ronluna You learned about kanji or you actually learned kanji in 2007? Cause if you just, uh, found about kanji at that point, I'd really like to know how you managed to watch anime for six years without realizing there are kanji :D

i have only known kana since i have a book since 2003. i was not aware of those chinese characters term (refers to kanji). memorizing lots of characters is hard to me so i survived the years only knowing a few kanji.

I speak Dutch as it's my mother language.

I'm capable of having conversations and reading/writing in French. (My country is 'supposed to be' bilingual)

My German is slowly vanishing, I just need to practice some more and I'll be alright. (I've had it for like 8 years)

My English is fluent. I can write, have conversations,..., do nearly anything. (I interview in English most of the times.)

I can read Korean, but I can't understand much of it (yet). I'll be studying it 2 years from now.

I'm studying Japanese right now. It's hard remembering all of the Kanji, but I'll get there eventually :P

Hmm... my native language is Portuguese, which allows me to understand a lot of Spanish (I can't speak it for the sake of my life, though). I've also self-taught myself English through the last ten years or so, and I can speak it fairly well. I can also read Hiragana, Katakana and a lot of kanjis, but I wouldn't say I know Japanese at all. I'm also about to start studying French on my own due to the fact that I want to take my master's degree (or maybe live too) in Canada in the future.

Finnish is my mother language, Swedish and English are languages, which I'm currently learning at school. Well, I took German a few years back, but now I don't remember almost nothing. :D

And currently learning Japanese though I'm a bit of a slacker so yea.

(y) same here.

My mother language is Hungarian.

Learnt English as a second language (still using it in my university studies).

Learnt Spanish next (I have an intermediate language certificate but I don't remember much, lol).

Now I'm learning Japanese (still at the beginning).

My first language is Finnish. I speak, but don't write nearly perfect English ( Haha. )

Then i speak terrible Swedish, tad better Russian, and a whole lot better Japanese. Writing is hard, though i'm getting better with each sentence i get out of me :) .

The first foreign language I took was American Sign Language in 1st grade. I don't remember any of it except for maybe 4 letters of the alphabet. Then in 8th grade I had a deaf stalker, so I put her to use and had her teach random signs, like "dictator," "swan," "dance," and "turtle." Now I go to a college that's 10~15% deaf / hard of hearing, so I can get around pretty well with those 4 signs.

My never language adventure was French. I was okay at it (even though most of the class thought I was great, I honestly thought I was mediocre) but I can't really speak it anymore since I haven't studied it in 3 years.

Currently I'm taking Japanese.

Other languages include: Java, C#, HTML, and ActionScript. Unfortunately, I'm no good at any of those...

My native language is Estonian, but I'm also fluent in Russian and English. I've been studying Spanish for about 4 years now, and I had German for 3 years back in high school. I tried to get into Japanese last year, but I pretty much lost all interest after a few months of study.

My 1st and native language is Finnish. I started studying English at the age of.... 10? Or maybe 11? Can't remember for sure. And a year after that we had the chance to choose a foreign language to study, the options were German and Swedish. I would've wanted to study German but then ended up taking Swedish, thank you mom. That was a stupid choice because everybody in Finland has to start studying Swedish at the latest in junior high because Finland is bilingual. So yeah, I studied those two (English and Swedish) in school and then became interested in Japanese, so I started to study it by myself. When I was on 7th grade (13/14) we had a fair in school to choose three optional subjects. I originally took Russian as one of them and German as second choice, in case the group wouldn't form (which happened) and then I had to study German. I learned only a few new things (writing and some other), because when I was little we had this cartoon channel with all the programs in German so I grew up to understand the language. As for now I'm planning to go study Russian to an adult education center.

Sign in to follow this