BcRyzT8.jpgvOe7YgT.jpg

Tracklist:
01. 東京、熱帯夜につき
02. 夜想GALAXXXY
03. サクラユメ
04. 甘美な嘘と退屈な薄紅
05. Relic Snow
06. 神様がもしいるなら

8/10 | DIV's unique blend of EDM and rock proves to be a winner!

Never a band to sit idle, young visual rockers DIV have continued their steady stream of releases and christened 2016 with their second and latest EP EDR TOKYO. The 'EDR' in the title stands for 'Electronic Dance Rock', and while electronics have always been present in DIV's music, they've mostly --with the exception of a few b-sides like "milky latte" and "東京ネクロポリス博物館 (Tokyo Necropolis Hakubutsukan)"-- operated on the peripheries: relegated to mood-setting intros, punchy breakdowns, and background frill. EDR TOKYO asserts itself as a more overt electronic endeavor, however. Their last single, the awesome, EDM-fueled "イケナイKISS (ikenai kiss)" gave us a good taste of what DIV's 'EDR' could sound like, and it's certainly served as precursor to the material on this EP.

The blithesome opener "東京、熱帯夜につ (tokyo nettaiya ni tsuki)" borrows some of the EDM elements of that song, but takes them a bit further, as guitars take a backseat to bright, layered synths and atmospheric bleep bloops. The song openly embraces electronics and effectively sets the precedent for the rest of the EP; each song is inundated with lively synth-work and programming that's both varied and meticulously applied. There may even be moments where you'll question if you're still listening to DIV or not; the main synth in "神様がもしいるなら (kamisama ga moshi iru nara)" sounds like something you'd hear in a

, and the heavy, electro-blended guitars in "甘美な嘘と退屈な薄紅 (kanbi na uso to taikutsu na usubeni)" would equally at home in a track by the GazettE, yet they implement all of this without really straying from who they are. This EP proves that DIV have thoroughly invested themselves in 'EDR' and the electronics here neither sound like a gimmick nor are they arbitrary sonic decorations. Every synth sounds like it has purpose and is an inherent part of the song.

Some may worry that the heavy-focus on electronic music may have come at a price, but rest assured, that is not the case. DIV have not neglected 'R' in 'EDR'! Tracks like "夜想GALAXXXY (yasou GALAXXXY)" and "サクラユメ (sakurayume)" have plenty of audible guitar work, yet are still seamlessly integrated with the electronics. "甘美な嘘と退屈な薄紅" and "Relic Snow", which are arguably the harder tracks of the EP, even boast a bit of breakdown chugging. Clever programming also pervades the EP, with the drums alternating between satoshi's live playing, techno kicks, dubstep-snares and more. Throughout EDR TOKYO, this creates a kind of aural symbiosis that draws forth the raving energy of EDM, but equally channels the adrenal charge of metalcore and the buoyancy of styles like pop-rock and pop-punk. In short, the EP still rocks out in spite of DIV's stylistic choices - no, perhaps even because of them.

EDR TOKYO does lose a bit of steam by the last two tracks, though. That particular duo seems to retread similar musical ground as the previous tracks, but that's a minor grievance, as both tracks still maintain enough personality to sustain the EP. Ultimately, DIV have accomplished what they've set out to do: they've successfully accentuated their electronic tendencies while maintaining their rock-oriented outlook. EDR TOKYO doesn't feel like a conscious shift in DIV's musical direction - it sounds like the band simply manifesting more of who they already were to begin with.

Purchase EDR TOKYO @ CDJapan

There may even be moments where you'll question if you're still listening to DIV or not.

the main synth in "神様がもしいるなら (kamisama ga moshi iru nara)" sounds like something you'd hear in a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu song.

WAIT! Are you reading my mind or something?

I just thought that they got a Kyary vibe on this song.

I was kind dissapointed, not for they following "EDR", I just think this could have been better than it was.

The tracks I enjoyed the most were 東京、熱帯夜につき and 夜想GALAXXXY.

Last but not less important, It surprises me you giving it a 8, like, I didn't knew you liked this guys.

Thank you for the review.

thank you for the review.I think I will give the EP a try tomorrow or so,we all know I'm not a big fan of their latest releases but thx to you I will try again :3

My favorite is definitely "甘美な嘘と退屈な薄紅".

My main concern about them is Satoshi's drumming. Since they go EDR, they kind of downplay his drumming like a lot. So that's why I really love "甘美な嘘と退屈な薄紅" because he really shine in that song.

Was rather curious about this release since you were reviewing it (and as much as you'd find this flattering, I do care about VK albums you are reviewing and/or "endorsing" here, Cat)! Not that I'd enjoy a great handful of DIV songs (few favs of mine lie mostly in the "almost Uverworld-ly but at the same time not"-department, e.g. "Point of View"), but I gotta admit I truly appreciated the direction they adopted in "神様がもしいるなら".I am not exactly thinking of Kyary in a heartbeat here but it's not far off from Nakata's later efforts with Perfume ("Cling Cling" etc.).

Anyways, I am happy to see that at least some VK acts, including DIV, acknowledge this fact: utilizing synths is not just some kind of background novelty but rather an integral part of the whole soundscape. Dated Yamaha synths (looking at you, Lycaon) and off-beat, drowning bloops (notorious VK blunder) should not be promoted for further practices, and DIV tried hard enough here to go against the tide and  prove the hidden potential - no, the hidden value of electronic programming in your everyday rock programming. Everything can work in harmony as long as you are able to ditch this hindering ideal of letting whatever counts for "VK electro novelty" fill the void of creativity behind your songcraft.

I will keep an eye on prospective success of DIV in combining trends of today and neo-VK principles together to demonstrate that our loved scene *can be* modern and almost free from hindering 50/50 cliches a la fake horns, gabber bleeps and whatnot. Whereas the formula of EDM(-ish) elements and DIV rock is not ripe yet here (as it was noted above), they are able to master this amalgamation if they truly want to. And I HOPE that they genuinely want this to be practiced further.

Sign in to follow this