blackdoll

What can you cook/make?

wonder if anyone itt ever tried boiling 1 egg (hard)

Chinese / Taiwanese , Thai , Japanese , Korean , French , Indian , Italian randomness. I can do the basics and improvise the rest. Once you can not burn toast its all easy :)

Meth. I can cook meth.

(3 cups of sugar. Kettle. Put sugar in kettle. Boil. Stir until liquid. Add blue food colouring. Take off heat. Pour into a dish. Spread into a thin layer. Refrigerate until solid. Hammer it into shards. Distribute shards into zip bags. Sell in front of a high-school for maximum profit. Retire and get somma that cancer treatment.)

No but in all seriousness. I don't cook. My slaves do it for me.

Anyone got some tips and recipes for asian food that is cheap, good and easy to prepare?

Don't care about the origin of the food, be it japanese, korean, chinese, vietnamese or whatever. But cheap, easy and good are the 3 keywords here.

I don't actually like cooking. But meh, it's a necessary skill.

When I'm cooking I usually do some salads, pizza OR Japanese foods (sushi, karee, okonomiyaki, yakisoba...).

About baking?  Apple pie and muffins are my talent.

I can't cook almost at all. I can make instant noodles and that's pretty much it... I just tend to somehow burn everything I try to make.

I like baking though, and I think I'm pretty decent in making different kinda cakes. I've made a couple of some game-themed cakes for some birthdays and stuff, and I think this Fallout-themed one that I made for my brother turned out pretty okay.

zzakxDA.png

I should really learn how to cook actual food too though. Living on only noodles and cake may not be the best idea... sigh.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:17 AM, Bear said:

Anyone got some tips and recipes for asian food that is cheap, good and easy to prepare?

Don't care about the origin of the food, be it japanese, korean, chinese, vietnamese or whatever. But cheap, easy and good are the 3 keywords here.

http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/sweet-corn-egg-drop-soup/ 

^You can add some meat or vegetables to it to give it more substance, but this is basically the cheapest and easiest soup I've ever made. I just made it earlier today, actually, because I was feeling lazy. 

This is also a new staple for me: 

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-in-red-curry-with-bamboo-shoots-83381

^You can use basically any kind of meat or vegetables with this recipe, so it's super practical. I've tried it with a bunch of different combinations (baby corn, peppers, mushrooms, shrimp, broccoli, etc.) and it always tastes good.

You don't necessarily need kaffir lime leaves - you can probably get away with just lime juice - but they make it taste way better. 

Any sort of miso soup with noodles, tofu, meat, cabbage, etc. added is usually pretty cheap and easy as well. I think I made this one before, but I either skipped the noodles or used angel hair vermicelli instead of udon, since it was all I had at the time. Can't remember.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/napa-cabbage-and-udon-miso-soup-30561

This isn't bad either, if you happen to have big bags of dried lily and wood ear mushrooms in your pantry like I do. It's good with hot sauce.

http://omnivorescookbook.com/moo-shu-vegetables

Edited by violetchain

Cooking is fun. I ten to like to barbecue more than anything, but can make a nice pot roast and protein in the slow cooker. I really like making bread too. That said, usually I am lazy as hell and just make sausages and steamed veggies for dinner. Ambition is hard.

TBQH  the questionable frozen wasteland of a country where I live in at the moment considers any kind of cooking pastime for uni students to be an anomaly

But yes, pretty much me disliking the subculture of "ready-to-eat" after years of campus bandwagoning motivated me to spend more time on cooking something ~healthier~ even after hours of working or exam studying. Imagine yourself consuming "mudflaps" (Finns will get this) daily...so now you get my point before reading the rest of this :)

For instance, whenever I feel like spoiling myself after some specific days like e.g. finalized research at my work or finishing my exams at school, I just try my best in looking for decent priced shrimps, all the salady stuff and other decent-priced (read: not cheap unless you want to kill your innards with that processed ramen shite) ingredients to make some goreng with shrimp salad and occasionally throwing in some cheesy deep-fried broccoli to ensure I do not lose any bulk :V

Results:  stable 187 lbs (was 160-164 lbs half a year ago), decent bulk, no excessive pains and feeling much better!

P.S. I am anything but rich - I had to make a lot of "sacrifices" to ensure that my budget remains stable for the sake of good eats and other useful stuff.

Edited by Alroy

Cooking and trying new cuisine is one of my passions. I find that there is art in the preparation and presentation of food, and wondered if any of you felt the same? I felt it would be interesting to have a place to show Food pictures, recipes, restaurant recommendations, food cravings, and to host discussions about foods from all over the world.

I am South Asian and was born in Karachi, Pakistan but I moved to Texas when I was eleven years old and it has shaped my food identity quite heavily. I adore spices and complex flavors but I appreciate warm and comforting foods as well. I cook almost every day, and my short term goal is to bake macrons from scratch and purchase a quality stand mixer.

On the menu tonight is pan seared Rib Eye steak with creamed garlic butter potatoes and a cranberry arugala salad drizzled with a cracked black pepper, lemon, and olive oil dressing. 

I also love to cook! I come from an Asian family, Vietnamese to be specific, and I love to experiment with different ingredients and cooking styles. As of recent, I haven't made anything interesting, but if I do, I'll be sure to post it here ^^

When i have those instant cravings for food i just learn receipes on youtube.

Made okonomiyaki the other night was delicious :love:

qpl5rs.jpg

I bake, a ton, I try to bring at least one thing to work a week just for fun. Mostly brownies, bars, sometimes quick bread, cookies, or cake. I'm not big on decorating although I always admire the elaborate things people can do. Favorite desserts I've made so far are a condensed milk pound cake, blueberry cookies, and butter mochi.

I'm working on cooking more since I probably shouldn't try surviving on just sweets. Thank goodness for slow cookers since I've been using that a whole bunch. There's a Moroccan Vegetable Soup I really enjoyed and have been thinking of making again recently. Aside from that, usually go for easy/quick things, like casseroles.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, kiixx said:

When i have those instant cravings for food i just learn receipes on youtube.

Made okonomiyaki the other night was delicious :love:

qpl5rs.jpg

I've recently learned to make okonomiyaki as well, very easy and tasty. Although any of mine certainly isn't as pretty as your's!