BrenGun

Starwave Records and...

Do you like Starwave Records?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Starwave Records?

• yes
    • no
    • no opinion.

I know that I actually want to be a silent lucker on this forum, BUT sometimes I read things which I think need to be discussed or something like that....

Starwave Records, so many people here seem to hate it because so many bands did disband or did drop off the label. However I still wonder if we really can blame Kiwamu for it or if its just the own stupid mind of bands. not reading contracts good, sighing up a label and then just thinking ah its not what we are looking for. Not standing strong in their own shoes, not having an own strong opinion etc.

I still think that we cannot blame everything on Kiwamu, Kiwamu still makes it good possible for us oversea fans to buy the music of his band labels beside the live limited only goodies. But we can buy lots of music we can listen free to music at spotify. He writes fake price on all parcels and send it as a gift. So yes there are also enough positive things about this label. Don't forget that Kiwamu also creates all MV himself now days. Kinda boring to watch because its always the same but beside that the quality is good. Of course a band should deliver music and if a band is great then a band can also deliver over again and again good music even if they should RELEASE a lot in a short while. Still bands have the choice in how fast they want to release, I'm sure if a band tells Kiwamu, WE cannot, we need more time, that Kiwamu will agree with it as so long the end product will be good and that people will buy it. We all know that Kiwamu is a money wolf. So... everything can be bought with money. 

People also said, yeah nobody does share Starwave live DVD/PV DVD. Don't forget that Kiwamu only adds 10 copies EACH time. and often only 1 or a few people did BOUGHT a DVD. And it would be pretty shit if someone would share a DVD and that Kiwamu never ever would sell a DVD in the oversea store anymore, because someone did SHARE it in public. And we know that he could be such person. So better be careful what we share of his shop and not. 100% if we talking about DVD which he burned himself on DVD. Of course its SHIT for those in shitty country who cannot buy something EASY. But that's life, you cannot get everything. And such thing has nothing to do with ELITE people who don't wanna share, sometimes it's to dangerous to share, and it could be the end of be able to buy music easy from this label and that's also not what we want, or does someone want to take that risk? well I won't take that risk. Don't wanna mess it up for everyone.

Back to the more past of Starwave, of course Starwave has also bad feedback in Japan himself, there are lots of bands who don't like this label too. Or who did drop of the label because of the attitude of Kiwamu. Of course bands broke down too because of Kiwamu. Yet,... a band decide themselves to join this label, they could check out bands who were under this label, bands who will leave the label etc. and if they still join, well its their own decision. A good band creates good music over and over and Starwave Records wasn't bad for all bands. Look up to Sound Bee and Tokami, both bands even created great music which got better and better. Then we still have Misaruka and synk;yet, both are most selling SW bands. Nüe is also doing good under starwave records. Umbrella did leave the label but didn't disband. SaTaN also left the label didn't disband and so few more bands didn't disband.  I also think that bands often DON'T read the CONTRACT they need to sign and talk about it good with Kiwamu. So then yeah stuff can happen that it all looks its all Kiwamu fault.

Of course I don't wanna protect Kiwamu, but it's somehow a pity that everyone blames a label who gives bands SO much. CD, DVD, MV, Flyers, GIGS ,Promotion etc.

Sometimes I also got the feeling that bands who did join in the past were not serious enough and sometimes bands simple decide to disband, happens under other labels too or if they don't have a label at all.

Of course it's kinda WTF if you see bands go from one label.  but if you look around there are more labels were bands come and go.

This year

LIV'ERT

MAJOLICA

Calmando Qual

band member "1000" from Tokami

Did gave up the label. But somehow I already thought that LIV'ERT kinda losed the spirit in going on at the start of SW because one original member left.

Majolica, they way they looked, somehow I already felt from the beginning that they wouldn't be a long term band.

Calmando Qual, truly did struggle when Kenka left the band and they are already so long around... so one day they would disband anyway... sad to see go but yeah... shit happens.

Tokami 1000, I still wonder the real reason why he will leave the band, lately he wrote good songs for Tokami too. But still popular with woman.. :P

Magistina Saga will be on a break? because one member will leave the band. can have so many reasons.

Feels like the label has kind of disband spell.

Of course there are bands who maybe not sound that great anymore. But can we blame kiwamu for that?

Our can we just say that those bands are simple not that GOOD musicians. Because they kinda mess in creativity if they should write more than 1 song in a while.

Band who join a label, well....smart people read contracts carefully. Which I think not always did happen. Also, Kiwamu maybe he simple picked up the wrong bands.

After all I'm pretty shocked how many people say they dislike this label.

So what are your real own thoughts about this label? do you really dislike it so much because it broke some bands?

Here's my only problem with Starwave: I've always found its bands boring. For myself only, they've always lacked the je ne sais quoi that makes a band special.

But there are tons of good things about Starwave. The shittiest, most unpopular band will still be guaranteed good costumes, nice photoshoots, several releases, a full album, live DVDs, PV collections, etc. I think that's really great, honestly.

And seriously, Starwave is one of the few labels to treat overseas fans like humans. That's really refreshing, in what's otherwise a pretty xenophobic culture.

As far as KIWAMU? Idk what people accuse him of, but it doesn't really matter imo. This is shitty music for 16 year-olds, so who cares if the dude is mean? My idol is a tax fraudster who sells bootlegs and fakes hospital visits--but he's not running for office, so why should I care?

If we don't count Kiwamu, my only beef with Starwave Records is that I find all their bands (well, except for Fixer) utterly boring and most of them are in my opinion plain horrible. If I know a band is on Starwave Records, there's a 99,99% chance I won't like that band at all. 

honestly, I thought starwave was one of those fake labels or one of those parody labels where they make shitty bands for tv shows or something, like disney records. Kinda scary its a legit label :S

lol,

so Qual, Tokami and Sound Bee are shit bands?

For me those are starwave best.

and still have their own typical sound.

Livert wasn't that bad too, they did sound live prety good, even better live than on CD.

but, this topic isn't for to diss the bands and saying that all suck. because its just a matter of taste. I think many other bands suck which you 3 think are amazing. but it isn't about dissing bands. because SW does have bands which enough people love.

however maybe the dislike of SW bands is because people simple hate kiwamu... so whatever band would join people simple going to dislike it no matter what.

Exactly, I know our tastes differ a lot and I didn't come here to just bash their bands. Seriously now that I think about it, for me the biggest reason why I dislike Starwave Records really isn't Kiwamu. It's only the second reason, haha... But the most important reason is that I don't enjoy any bands that they have signed. 

but your taste is strange anyway... you like so many wtf bands but impossoble to enjoy any starwave band...kinda amazing.

so you also never did like past SW bands?

capella, luzmelt, the fool...

kinda fits maybe more the row of bands you normally listen too.

their music wasn't that bad.

but your taste is strange anyway... you like so many wtf bands but impossoble to enjoy any starwave band...kinda amazing.

so you also never did like past SW bands?

capella, luzmelt, the fool...

kinda fits maybe more the row of bands you normally listen too.

their music wasn't that bad.

You just aptly described how I view your music taste :D Our music tastes are just so different, even though we seemingly like the same genre.

I think I recall listening to something by Luzmelt, but as I don't remember anything about them I probably didn't like them.

haha, taste can be so WTF sometimes, which is good otherwise too many bands wouldn't have fans.

mmhm jusy check out capella then. to bad that they aren't around anymore bjt I guess you will like their sound. maybe the fool too, but harder to find nowdays I guess.

Luzmelt was loved by many people, I remember manh were sad when they did disband, so maybe check again? xd

Aside from Luzmelt, the only Starwave band I care about is Scarlet Valse, and that's because I liked them before they got signed. I liked Misaruka when Lin's guitarist was with them, but now they're kind of embarrassing.

I suppose Suicide Ali had 2 songs I enjoyed.

I didn't、 he freaked out when I asked for blood band photo, if i could stand begween dora and hayato. didn't hit him.

im so disappointed :(

and in other news starwave are shit outside of nue, but i dont think they'd be as far as they are now without kiwamu's incessant promotion.

I don't hate Kiwamu nor the label, BUT like people have said before me the bands are pretty shit XD

The only bands I listen to from Starwave is Blam Honey and Velvet Eden, and those are old bands so I don't feel they got that influenced by the label (if the label ever influenced any of the bands). But that's my main issue, I feel like the bands on that label are a bit the same when it comes to the music and also like you yourself mentioned the PV's are very much the same. You can also see on the design of the flyer that they're from Starwav since Kiwamu makes many of them. Also I went to one of their events in 2014, with just Starwave acts and it felt...weird :P And Kiwamu was there like a big brother just watching over everything from the back. Unfortunatley I talked to him, or rather he gave me instructions and I felt like he had NO sense of customer service, he had a very harsh and annoyed feeling to him and I didn't even do anything wrong, I was just taking part in the event. Yet the way he talked to me was as if he fucking hated me XDD which is a kind of weird way to approach people.

However, I don't know much about the label and I don't really care that much either but I feel like it's weird to blame it on the label that bands break up... Has that ever been official, that bands blame Kiwamu for break ups or having to quit music?

lol,

so Qual, Tokami and Sound Bee are shit bands?

For me those are starwave best.

and still have their own typical sound.

Livert wasn't that bad too, they did sound live prety good, even better live than on CD.

but, this topic isn't for to diss the bands and saying that all suck. because its just a matter of taste. I think many other bands suck which you 3 think are amazing. but it isn't about dissing bands. because SW does have bands which enough people love.

however maybe the dislike of SW bands is because people simple hate kiwamu... so whatever band would join people simple going to dislike it no matter what.

Don't be upset! I don't like Calmando Qual, Tokami, or SOUND BEE HD, but that doesn't mean they are bad bands. Even if we don't like something, it's still ok that you like it~

Lots of people think many UNDER CODE bands are lame, but it doesn't bother me :P

(And btw, I think I liked some songs by the band lix.)

I suppose Suicide Ali had 2 songs I enjoyed.

Ooh yeah, I really liked their song 風のslave!

I think Calmando Qual also had one or two songs that I liked back in the day.

Scarlet Valse: I try all their releases, but they never capture me completely. Rose Cruel Scar is a super good rush song tho.

I would like to believe that Starwave Records is one of those instances where people do not bother to look or listen to more than one or two bands and then claim it is a terrible record label — mainly due to the fact that Kiwamu is generally disliked for a multitude of reasons (I do not think that a lot of those people even know why they dislike him — it's another obvious example of following the endless herd to fit in with these conditioned masses). He has signed some potentially game-changing bands, but sadly only a few of them are recognized as slightly worthwhile and it is due to the negative bias toward Kiwamu that they will unfortunately never become more popular than they are. Suicide Ali, Luzmelt, Synk;yet, Scarlet Valse and 十神 are and were incredible bands, but it is very difficult to perform under the pressure of this scene's infuential fanbase. 

I do not have a particular like or dislike toward this label itself. I am on neutral grounds considering this and would make myself a fool were I to surround myself in a resisting shroud.

@ @inartistic

Now we are talking. that's a bit better then just saying "bands suck ass"

But I still do think that you should check out Tokami, they really grew into a greater band. only question is for how long since their drummer will leave. Just check up the latest releases, since the time Kazuha joined the band.

Calmando Qual was the best before they joined starwave, However I saw many people say that they totally did love their album BLACKSHEEP. Which I totally hated. I kinda re-like them since their single release in 2013. But they never released that catchy songs anymore which they did before joining starwave, but thats also because a member left their band in 2008, who gave the tune of the songs that EXTRA vibe. So aka they are lacking since that time that member left?... still do love their recent music but never had that "YEAAH" feeling anymore. Still hope that their last release will be a blast with those unreleased songs which you guys also need to listen, they aren't bad.

LIX, lix. was pretty good band too. still to bad that both are gone. well it happens. I also never could like Scarlet Valse, don't know somehow I miss something inside their music.

and UNDERCODE, well the vocalist border me for even liking the music. But I do love every undercode band with Kisaki inside, somehow he picks up the best vocalist....

But I cannot hate or dislike that label, nor I dislike all bands, megaromania was fun and so was NEGA. even tho I dislike their vocalists...

@@Igyou_Hime
Yeah your taste is very different as those SW bands, still think its a bit funny to dislike the early calmando qual (before joining the label) music but loving arc:g:noël. since I still think both bands kinda have the same vibe. But that shows how taste can be so tender. So it's interesting.

If bands ever did do blame Kiwamu?....Maybe, but as far Japanese culture goes, even if bands blame Kiwamu they would never ever telling fans, or maybe only very close fans. But after all even a band cannot blame Kiwamu they agreed with want he wanted. Maybe if the label ever goes down, people will speak up. But Japanese fans also don't really like Starwave Records. Of course some love the label, but there are also many who don't go to Starwave Event concerts, because of their dislike for the label. 

@@Lestat Well people do dislike the lablel not border to check out because of Kiwamu, look up inside that FIXER topic. Still pity that people hate a label only because label boss is an "ass"?  However I also think visual kei bands have always a kind of pressure that they should release and release because of the strange influential fanbase. whatever label they join, if they do a higher pressure will press on their backs.  However synk;yet and Tokami do pretty good.

anyway I did notice something...

not long ago I wrote to Hibiki and Nüe vocalist that it's incredible rude against fans that their releases did raised up in price so freaking much. That fans always follow them, pay a lot, give a lot etc. That it does feel as its only about GETTING money and not about feelings of fans too.  Nüe vocalist was first angry at me, but he follows me again on twitter.... LOL

Little time after, Kiwamu dropped new DVD of Tokami, LIV'ERT and now also SOUNDBEE in the shop. normally those DVD's would be priced at least 4000yen. now they sell those for 3500yen.

I guess I made Kiwamu think about his idiotic prices. of course VELVET EDEN new CD is still high as fuck, but I guess that's also something DADA totally not care about.

----

But I also remember that Kiwamu once said that he does like if someone disagrees with him. years ago when calmando qual released a CD they actually were not allowed to SELL that CD on a live gig. Then Hibiki went all ANGRY to Kiwamu to pick up the box full CD to sell the CD's. and Kiwamu's words were like "YEAH THAT'S THE SPIRIT"

So yes, if bands got balls they could get what they want. But if they only agree, well yeah... stuff turns out boring of course.

And Kiwamu's flyers...

I don't care that they look the same etc. However Kiwamu could do his best a bit more to fill up flyers more beautiful and the last fixer flyer got a damn ugly design background mistake.

To be honest I haven't really listened to that much of Calmando Qual XD Since I like arc:g.Noel I probably should try out the early stuff.*random*

Starwave Records is definitely a "small" label but has within itself fabulous people! when the lead singer of The Sound Bee HD (Daisuke) was ill, Rui (Misaruka), Kakeru (Scarlet Valse) have volunteered to advance the concerts of TSB HD! in short, I noticed that they are very altruistic towards other band, it is a lovely thing! Furthermore the Misaruka since they are one of the most famous bands of Starwave Records, they decide to look like "OPENING GUEST" just to give a chance to the bands "Small" to have more audience to their Oneman-Live :D

My friend Aiko (singer of Post✝Mortem) [https://www.monochrome-heaven.com/index.php/topic/32320-new-band-post%E2%9C%9Dmortem%EF%BD%9E%E6%AD%BB%E5%BE%8C%EF%BD%9E-has-formed/?hl=%2Bpost+%2Bmortem]also participated in the PV of : Misaruka (twice), Tokami, Synk;yet and Scarlet Valse, she remained very happy and she enjoyed it, the members of these bands are very nice and polite!

But she does not find very sympathetic Kiwamu! she has sent many DEMO (the Post Mortem sound is gothic type) to him but he did not give her never answer [obviously he is not interested to receive his band even though she is very talented in his voice!] also failed to pay him it transports it to its appearance in various PV of the bands, in short has not behaved very well with her :/

But it is also true, however, that does everything possible to advance all his band (even one with very few fans) creating DVD / Full Album / PV for that nifty band, then as head of the SR does a great job in my opinion :)

PS: Sorry for my bad English! >.<

To be honest I haven't really listened to that much of Calmando Qual XD Since I like arc:g.Noel I probably should try out the early stuff.*random*

haha you might should check out their early stuff, it could be that you like it.

@Serox,

Kiwamu isn't interested in promoting non Japanese bands anymore. So that's why he didn't gave an answer at all.

I also think that bands like each other, maybe not all, but many seems to be good friends.

OH I just remember, most thing I dislike about starwave are those live limited CD/merchandise. merchandise is also pretty idiotic that it doesn't appear in the website.  or that stuff only appears in the japanese webshop thats also annoying.

I can't believe no one had mentioned the label's bad recording quality. Take LIV'ERT for example; they were perfect on their own, but when they went to Starwave, their music quality deteriorated to the point where it sounded cheap and you can hardly hear the vocalist's voice. Even the PVs look cheap too, I just can't take their bands seriously. But it doesn't mean I hate all their bands.

Sign in to follow this