Favourite album?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album?

• Opus Eponymous
    • Infestissumam
    • Meliora

720x405-GhostMain.jpeg

I'm seeing Ghost live again tomorrow and thought it was about time this brilliant band got their own thread on the forum. I've followed Ghost since the release of their debut single Elizabeth, and I've enjoyed every release since then. Ghost is a big fucking circus with great music, and live they're a force of their own. Few bands can match the live shows of Ghost in 2016. As far as their live shows goes the most natural comparison would be Rammstein, rather than bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Foo Fighters.

I think all three albums are top quality, but if I had to rate them:

1. Infestissumam

Ghost goes pop-rock. Infestissumam sounds like a mix of Abba, Roky Erickson and with very little hard rock and heavy metal. Catchy as fuck. Only flaw is the weak production. Too polished and over-produced, but the brilliance of everything else makes up for it. Hightlights: Year Zero, Ghuleh / Zombie Queen and Monstrance Clock.

2. Opus Eponymous

A hard rocking mix of Blue Öyster Cult, Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate, though Mercyful Fate is named more or less only because of the atmosphere and feeling of the album. Highlights: Ritual, Elizabeth and Stand by Him.

3. Meliora

By far their heaviest album IMO. An adventurous dig into progressive rock, heavy metal and hard rock. Sounds like a mix of Genesis, The Beatles and Blak Sabbath. Highlights: From the Pinnacle to the Pit, He Is and Absolution.

I also think their covers of Abba's I'm a Marionette, Roky Erickson's If You Have Ghosts and The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun is as good, if not better, than the original songs.

I also really like their cover art, even though the execution of Infestissumam is poor. But the film refrences of their cover art is nice and a cool touch to it all.

Opus Eponymous - Salem's Lot

Infestissumam - Amadeus

If You Have Ghost - Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

Cirice - The Silence of the Lambs

Meliora - Metropolis

Year Zero - Paradise Lost (not a film, but still cool)

They also have two tour shirts refrencing A Clockwork Orange and Jaws. Both looks sweet as fuck.

Plan to see them for the first time in May (with Pinkish Black, fuck yes!), glad to hear a positive review of their live show.

And I'd probably rank their albums in the reverse order you did, but like you I can dig them all.

I'm surprised by the popularity of this thread. Christ.

Anyway, tonight! Fuck, this is gonna be great. Will not be surprised if this ends up as the musical highlight of the year for me. WOuldn't be surprised at all.

Honestly, I don't know about these guys... From one side there are some "nostalgic" wannabe-s among their song, but as a whole... Nothing outstanding at all to be honest. Better listen to some stoner or just Black Sabbath (or -ish stuff). Don't know exactly why there was such a hype aroud'em in about 2013-2014 yy.

1 hour ago, alexei101mercurio said:

Honestly, I don't know about these guys... From one side there are some "nostalgic" wannabe-s among their song, but as a whole... Nothing outstanding at all to be honest. Better listen to some stoner or just Black Sabbath (or -ish stuff). Don't know exactly why there was such a hype aroud'em in about 2013-2014 yy.

lolwat? Stoner? Are you serious, or just joking around? There is literally nothing stoner about Ghost at all, so I don't really get why one would exchange Ghost with stoner. Weird.

Black Sabbath isn't exactly the first band that pops up in my head either, aside from certain atmospheric elements and general feeling on a few of the songs of the debut album.

Sign in to follow this