beni

Your most recent music discovery?

We've got a most recently purchased thread, so how about a discovery one?

Be it that you're not that much of an instant fan, or if you're digging it as soon as your ears graced the sound, feel free to share your most recent new artist/band you've found. It's encouraged you talk a little bit about it, or just simple answers to questions like: What do you like about it/dislike about it, do you think it's a grower, will you be following the musician from now on, do you think you'll ever go back to it? What's its genre, is it new to you? What about the artist's ethnicity, is it outside what you'd usually search for/stumble on? And all that jazz~ Without further ado...

This really is what I've randomly stumbled on a few minutes ago:

Not really a fan of the talking instead of singing delivery, but that chorus is hilarious and fun and don't get me started on the video. I'll be coming back to watch instead of listening really, that's for sure.

EDIT: I just checked out their other stuff and it's much more up my street and not so down right silly and nuts. Real smooth rock dudes, glad I stumbled on 'em.

Lately I've been getting into 蜉蝣 (Kagerou).

About a month ago I tried out their first album (self-titled) two different times, and was less impressed by it each time; it was quite difficult to get into. But I didn't give up on them. I decided to check out some of their other stuff. At first I thought they'd be a "singles band," so I got all their singles and the ones they released before their self-titled album were pretty good with some strong moments. I then decided to download all their other full-length albums (落首、愚弄色、黒旗), and they are much better than the first one, and more engaging than the singles.

TL;DR, 落首, 愚弄色, and 黒旗 are very solid (s/t is tricky), pre-debut album singles are worth checking out, post-debut album singles are for die-hard fans only.

This mess of a band...

Found them a little while before I noticed they were actually going to have their first official single release with one of the songs for the new DRRR anime season. Vocalist is part of a drama/music CD kind of project around bands.

''Recent'' Japanese discovery for me:

Sketch Show

Comfy as hell, glitchy electronics + folk influences blended together, i've always had a weakness for that sort of stuff. Oh, and it's a project by some of the YMO dudes, so you KNOW that shit is good.. Perfect for dark, cold winter nights or when you're walking through the snow. Trust me.

Non-japanese discoveries:

Firewater

Going from an industrial/noise-rock band to some sort of weird blend of alt rock, klezmer, cabaret, gypsy music and a variety of middle eastern-influenced stuff is a pretty weird progression, but somehow vocalist Tod A. just made it work.. Can't stop listening to these guys these days, I dunno why. Just something about their particular blend of genres that tickles me the right way

The Black Heart Rebellion

Apparently these boys started out as a post-rock/screamo type of band at first, but starting from their 2nd album they began to evolve into something else. On their latest album, ''People when you see the smoke, do not think it is fields they're burning,'' they sound more like Swans gone tribal or something like that. Very cool stuff.

HOW COME THIS IS NEW TO ME WUT, COME HERE BOI. Obviously using beats from well known songs from America and what not, but totally delivers. I can't wait for something original/ Such lovely, clear high pitched vocals!

I follow some other meatcube acts and randomly checked out these guys. Apparently one of them also plays in Low-Pass. I've been listening to them a lot more than I anticipated. Just nice chill stuff.

In Japan, this supergroup of young ladies. Rie, Shinri Kawaguchi, Miyuki and Shoko Nagasaki on keys. It's like a female Return to Forever (legendary 70s jazz fusion band). I wish it was a permanent thing and not a one-off, and really wish a full length DVD would be released.

Non-Japan: Hell. That's the name of the band. Equal parts Judas Priest and Mercyful Fate. Very distinctive old school British metal sound. They formed in 1982, broke up in 88, and got back together in 2008. I may be off by a year here or there. One of their guitarists is a very popular metal album producer named Andy Sneap. And the singer is an actor, hence the headset and excessive use of his hands.

No idea wtf this is but I need to buy it asap. Loving the whole sound. Really fun, and I now have my paws on their mini album!

Edited by beni

Non-Japan: Hell. That's the name of the band. Equal parts Judas Priest and Mercyful Fate. Very distinctive old school British metal sound. They formed in 1982, broke up in 88, and got back together in 2008. I may be off by a year here or there. One of their guitarists is a very popular metal album producer named Andy Sneap. And the singer is an actor, hence the headset and excessive use of his hands.

Fantastic band. Love everything from their early demos with David Halliday on vocals to their recent outputs with David Bower on vocals. The original recording of Save Us from Those Who Would Save Us are easily among my favourite heavy metal tracks of all time.

Andy Sneap is also a big cult figure in the world of metal aside from production. He was the guitarist in the english thrash metal band Sabbat who released two classic albums in the 80's, many years beofre he started producing albums. Check out Sabbat's two first albums too and be sure to get into their lyrics. Martin Walkyier are one of the most talented writers in metal for sure, shown both in Sabbat and Skyclad. Dreamweaver, depite not being the most known thrash metal album out there, is often considered one of thrash metal's finest albums, and with good reason. Total worship!

Are you into bands like Satan, Portrait, Angel Witch, Attic, Trial, Metal Grave, Dracula, In Solitude and such too? A few of these should surely please you.

I actually discovered Cloque. on Audioleaf before they released their 1st Demo.

Really enjoy their sound and their America-y pop-punk aesthetic (which is pretty much my wardrobe, lol.)

Hoping these guys do well!!!

(I've been getting into a lot of pop-punk bands lately in the U.S like Knuckle Puck as well)

Definitely not Japanese or VK but I am stunned. The band is called Oceans of Slumber, from Houston Texas. They are a prog metal band, kinda like Dream Theater, except the singer is a black woman, which is unheard of in metal. And she sings amazingly well.

old vk band, but i came across them for the first time. i did hear of Dear Bitch before though, which some of the members formed later. didn't know that Black:List's drummer was in this band either. anyway, i've been listening to them for the past few days. the bass in this song kicks ass!

I found these guys the other day, don't know how I missed em considering I've loved Sparta Locals since like maybe 2006 or something......

Also this band I've never heard of, Misokkasu.  I really enjoy their music, it's quite nice.

TRICERATOPS. Well, not really a discovery as I've been aware of them since the early 2000s, but I never bothered to check them out. And prior to getting into them this summer my only experience with the band was their cover of UNICORN's HIGE TO BOIN on one of the UNICORN tribute albums. Anyway, they're freaking great. I'm a sucker for good pop rock, and they have written a lot of it.

Edited by Kiyoharu is God

Not a musical discovery per se - they are a visual+sound installation unit, and I discovered them by one of Ryuichi Sakamoto's posts on Facebook.

Not all that recent but as far as discoveries go I think it was one of the most interesting ones I made.

Btw, they also came to my country for a festival, but that was a bit before I knew about them. :/

Edited by PsychoΔelica

DADAROMA, Morrigan, Blesscode, Damy  and SCAPEGOAT. Still in the process to discover new bands because I stopped since a while for not specific reasons lol

They describe their music as "post-rock hip-hop". Imagine if Tha Boss from Tha Blue Herb joined a post-rock/screamo band! And he's got a better flow than many ordinary Japanese rappers do.

Edited by indigo

Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Tinashe because they all write songs about Lycaon. and they have good shit

M.I.A her music is so unique and has that dancehall pom pom beat, and

J balvin cause out of all of the reggeton artist his voice is the most pure and doesn't turn me off.

Edited by blackdoll