inartistic

Yukika (Ains) label history (Let's talk labels?)

So I have a question. We all know Kuroyuri To Kage used to be an AnguraKei band signed to Dear Dolce called "Memento Mori", and Grieva was signed to Dear Dolce as Reload. But before forming Kuroyuri, Memento Mori was signed to a label called Aka-ON after Dear Dolce dissolved. During it's run in Dear Dolce, Memento Mori switched from a regular VisualKei band with AnguraKei influence, to a full on AnguraKei band with the release of their first album, and the release of "Sagamiya" on an omnibus I can't remember the name of. (The song was rereleased on the band's second mini album). They were going to release Haikei Haranbanjo Biyori on Dear Dolce, but it closed down before it could be released. Does anyone know what the deal was with Aka-ON, though? They had lower recording quality compared to Dear Dolce, and had a few former Dear Dolce bands. You can compare the recording quality in the original preview of Memento Mori's "Joroya" with the version of the song that was released. The version that was released had weird drum recording as the kick drum was barely audible, and a lot of reverb on the drums themselves. Was Aka-ON lower on funds? Or did they just have really bad sound engineers? Or did Memento Mori have a recording error, and they decided to just keep it the way it is, because they were rushed, and because they refused to resort to drum samples and wanted an authentic sound? (Refusing drum samples by the way is very bold for an amateur band).  Moreover, why did Memento Mori have to disband and reform as Kuroyuri To Kage? The only real difference is that Kuroyuri doesn't wear Kimono or use traditional instruments, but the songs still talk about a lot of the same topics. Were they forced to abandon the AnguraKei style and decided to settle on a mix of neo-90's Vkei and EroguroKei? Just so much that I wonder.

I do know this one thing though. While many may connect how Grieva is a cover band of Dir En Grey with the hate that Memento Mori got for apparently "copying Kiryu", I can assure you Memento Mori wasn't a copy of Kiryu. Kiryu had a mix of metalcore, post-hardcore/emotive hardcore, and Alternative Rock, meanwhile Memento Mori was mostly Metalcore, Alternative Metal, and Numetal. Also, Memento Mori formed around the same time as Kiryu's first album was released, and they weren't popular enough at the time to be copied. Also, Memento Mori had influences from Eroguro bands such as Inugami Circus Dan, while Kiryu seems to be influenced from Aicle's old stuff. 

10 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

So I have a question. We all know Kuroyuri To Kage used to be an AnguraKei band signed to Dear Dolce called "Memento Mori", and Grieva was signed to Dear Dolce as Reload. But before forming Kuroyuri, Memento Mori was signed to a label called Aka-ON after Dear Dolce dissolved. During it's run in Dear Dolce, Memento Mori switched from a regular VisualKei band with AnguraKei influence, to a full on AnguraKei band with the release of their first album, and the release of "Sagamiya" on an omnibus I can't remember the name of. (The song was rereleased on the band's second mini album). They were going to release Haikei Haranbanjo Biyori on Dear Dolce, but it closed down before it could be released. Does anyone know what the deal was with Aka-ON, though? They had lower recording quality compared to Dear Dolce, and had a few former Dear Dolce bands. You can compare the recording quality in the original preview of Memento Mori's "Joroya" with the version of the song that was released. The version that was released had weird drum recording as the kick drum was barely audible, and a lot of reverb on the drums themselves. Was Aka-ON lower on funds? Or did they just have really bad sound engineers? Or did Memento Mori have a recording error, and they decided to just keep it the way it is, because they were rushed, and because they refused to resort to drum samples and wanted an authentic sound? (Refusing drum samples by the way is very bold for an amateur band).  Moreover, why did Memento Mori have to disband and reform as Kuroyuri To Kage? The only real difference is that Kuroyuri doesn't wear Kimono or use traditional instruments, but the songs still talk about a lot of the same topics. Were they forced to abandon the AnguraKei style and decided to settle on a mix of neo-90's Vkei and EroguroKei? Just so much that I wonder.

I do know this one thing though. While many may connect how Grieva is a cover band of Dir En Grey with the hate that Memento Mori got for apparently "copying Kiryu", I can assure you Memento Mori wasn't a copy of Kiryu. Kiryu had a mix of metalcore, post-hardcore/emotive hardcore, and Alternative Rock, meanwhile Memento Mori was mostly Metalcore, Alternative Metal, and Numetal. Also, Memento Mori formed around the same time as Kiryu's first album was released, and they weren't popular enough at the time to be copied. Also, Memento Mori had influences from Eroguro bands such as Inugami Circus Dan, while Kiryu seems to be influenced from Aicle's old stuff. 

IIRC, Aka-ON was founded by the same guy (SMILE vocalist, I think?) who owned Dear Dolce, after that first label went under. As far as recording quality, etc., we might assume that he was lower on funds, as Dear Dolce didn't seem very successful (and had like a million bands for no reason).

Speculation: Yukika saw Memento-Mori, saw that they had potential, and offered them a contract on his label (which had more money and more recognition). I doubt that they were “forced” to change; I'd guess that they just expected to have more success with the Kuroyuri style.

33 minutes ago, inartistic said:

IIRC, Aka-ON was founded by the same guy (SMILE vocalist, I think?) who owned Dear Dolce, after that first label went under. As far as recording quality, etc., we might assume that he was lower on funds, as Dear Dolce didn't seem very successful (and had like a million bands for no reason).

Speculation: Yukika saw Memento-Mori, saw that they had potential, and offered them a contract on his label (which had more money and more recognition). I doubt that they were “forced” to change; I'd guess that they just expected to have more success with the Kuroyuri style.

Oh, also, it's worth mentioning that Memento Mori originally disbanded because they felt like they were "At their limit". They already had lost 2 drummers in their history as a band and resorted to drum samples after Yue left (Though, tbh, they're better drum samples than the ones I've ever heard from any other band xD). 

I speculate the reason why Dear Dolce failed as a label is because they spent a lot of money on making full length music videos, only to release a small portion. This is proved pretty much with the PV for Memento Mori's Joroya, which remember, was originally to be released under Dear Dolce records, but was released under AKA-On. They used all the leftover footage from filming, and even takes that never made it into the Dear Dolce "Digest PV" (As I'm gonna call it xD) that they tried to cram a bunch of footage into.  Dear Dolce basically wasted lots of money on stuff they would never fully release.  Therefore, it led to them possibly going bankrupt. 

I think that some people already know it, but, since I didn't saw anyone talking about it, here I go.

I just found a thing on Mediena's website. The title tag of the image file of the cover of "Shion" is "AMWK-010_CD-disc".

That's very strange, since "AMWK-010" is the code for the CD-shop version of Gossip's "Psycho-pas$". And it's on a Mediena release cover art.

Mysterious.

Edited by IGM_Oficial

This might not be something to go off by as it might be a common thing, but ains-a.com, mediena-official.com and kuroyuritokage.com are all hosted by the same provider, have the same IP, and use the same name servers:

Hosting provider: GMO Internet

IP Address: 157.7.144.5

Name Servers:

dns02.gmoserver.jp

dns01.gmoserver.jp

I tried to compare this to some unrelated bands and so far it's only ains-related.

Interestingly, malisend.com have a different IP and name servers

I don't have any actual evidence for this as I have no releases by these two bands, but it's very likely that the labels 天邪組 (アマンジャク。(Amanjaku)) and XIX BLACK RECORDS (MIZTAVLA) are run by Yukika.

Not sure if they are officially under AINS or just two seperate labels? Time will tell I guess, or if someone here has any of their releases and would like to share information.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:30 AM, Takadanobabaalien said:

I don't have any actual evidence for this as I have no releases by these two bands, but it's very likely that the labels 天邪組 (アマンジャク。(Amanjaku)) and XIX BLACK RECORDS (MIZTAVLA) are run by Yukika.

Not sure if they are officially under AINS or just two seperate labels? Time will tell I guess, or if someone here has any of their releases and would like to share information.

HMV tweeted a bunch of Ains flyers; Miztavla and Amanjaku are in the mix.

Edited by ryuhime

So here is something I've speculated about Kuroyuri to Kage. My hypothesis is perhaps that while Yamikakumei is technically owned by Kuroyuri, the production and distribution and such is handled by Ains. Now why would it be like this? Well, probably because it's way better than leaving them up completely to their own devices. Yukika can still make whatever money he can off them, but doesn't have to deal with the tax stuff, whereas Kuroyuri can do it's own thing, but still have help from Ains. In this case, both parties benefit. In basic terms, Yamikakumei is both it's own label, and a secret sublabel. IDK, this hypothesis needs a lot of work and has a LOT of holes in it. But perhaps someone who knows more can expand on this possibility. Kuroyuri was always the black sheep of the Ains bands, treating themselves like an indie band. I mean, GossiP still acts as if they were indie in terms of release schemes, but they obviously take advantage of the fact they're on a label. 

Now, here is another hypothesis that has less holes, and involves Shimizuya records. So we all know how truly EVIL Shimizuya are, right? Just ask Lycaon and AvelCain. 

Anyways, their most successful band atm, Sibilebashir, is really close to Kuroyuri. AvelCain is also somwhat close to Kuroyuri, in that they did a collaborative concert together once, but that doesn't make them like best friends, but still an amount to consider. Lycaon so far is the only band to successfully escape Shimizuya and still continue. And let's face the truth, Sibilebashir is going to disband soon. It's inevitable. Knowing how close Sibile and Kuroyuri are though, and knowing how Lycaon set an example for other Shimizuya bands (All to Shimizuya's dismay), it's obvious if Sibilebashir does return from the evil that is Shimizuya, they will either sign to an Ains sublabel, or sign to Yamikakumei themselves. The chances of this are even more likely if AvelCain comes back, in which, knowing their style and all, I think it'd obvious they'd sign to an Ains label. There is a slight chance of them joining Yamikakumei, but it's not very likely. In fact, I think they're more likely to join Madwink. Now, if you notice, GossiP's new live-distro single, Rinne, looks very similar to AvelCain in terms of cover art and stuff. I think this could possibly be subtle hint dropping of what is in the works at the moment. (Also, AvelCain's last single had a song called Rinne Tensei/Tenshou? I've seen different romanisations.) Either that or the members of GossiP happen to really like AvelCain (It is worth mentioning the look they took on during the Tokyo Scandal single looked a lot like AvelCain's old look, back when they had a drummer and two guitarists). Now yes, Kaede from AvelCain is retired, though VKei history has shown that its not impossible for him to pull a Kisaki and come out of retirement. Though I wouldn't hold your breath on it. While waiting for a possible return and see what fate they have, let's focus on Karma and Zen, for their fate on whether they return or not, will help determine Sibilebashir's chances of coming back if they disband (Which they will. Like, I love them, but let's face it. Shimizuya is EVIL)

Edited by AimiGen7

2 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:
Spoiler

So here is something I've speculated about Kuroyuri to Kage. My hypothesis is perhaps that while Yamikakumei is technically owned by Kuroyuri, the production and distribution and such is handled by Ains. Now why would it be like this? Well, probably because it's way better than leaving them up completely to their own devices. Yukika can still make whatever money he can off them, but doesn't have to deal with the tax stuff, whereas Kuroyuri can do it's own thing, but still have help from Ains. In this case, both parties benefit. In basic terms, Yamikakumei is both it's own label, and a secret sublabel. IDK, this hypothesis needs a lot of work and has a LOT of holes in it. But perhaps someone who knows more can expand on this possibility. Kuroyuri was always the black sheep of the Ains bands, treating themselves like an indie band. I mean, GossiP still acts as if they were indie in terms of release schemes, but they obviously take advantage of the fact they're on a label. 

Now, here is another hypothesis that has less holes, and involves Shimizuya records. So we all know how truly EVIL Shimizuya are, right? Just ask Lycaon and AvelCain. 

Anyways, their most successful band atm, Sibilebashir, is really close to Kuroyuri. AvelCain is also somwhat close to Kuroyuri, but not very much, but still an amount to consider. Lycaon so far is the only band to successfully escape Shimizuya and still continue. And let's face the truth, Sibilebashir is going to disband soon. It's inevitable. Knowing how close Sibile and Kuroyuri are though, and knowing how Lycaon set an example for other Shimizuya bands (All to Shimizuya's dismay), it's obvious if Sibilebashir does return from the evil that is Shimizuya, they will either sign to an Ains sublabel, or sign to Yamikakumei themselves. The chances of this are even more likely if AvelCain comes back, in which, knowing their style and all, I think it'd obvious they'd sign to an Ains label. There is a slight chance of them joining Yamikakumei, but it's not very likely. In fact, I think they're more likely to join Madwink. Now, if you notice, GossiP's new live-distro single, Rinne, looks very similar to AvelCain in terms of cover art and stuff. I think this could possibly be subtle hint dropping of what is in the works at the moment. (Also, AvelCain's last single had a song called Rinne Tensei/Tenshou? I've seen different romanisations.) Either that or the members of GossiP happen to really like AvelCain (It is worth mentioning the look they took on during the Tokyo Scandal single looked a lot like AvelCain's old look, back when they had a drummer and two guitarists). Now yes, Kaede from AvelCain is retired, though VKei history has shown that its not impossible for him to pull a Kisaki and come out of retirement. Though I wouldn't hold your breath on it. While waiting for a possible return and see what fate they have, let's focus on Karma and Zen, for their fate on whether they return or not, will help determine Sibilebashir's chances of coming back if they disband (Which they will. Like, I love them, but let's face it. Shimizuya is EVIL)

that yamikakumei thing has already been discussed on the ktk news/band threads but most likely yes thats the case as @Takadanobabaalienwould attest to. visual kei and all its scams, LOL.

the shimizuya stuff makes no sense tho, sibire aren't at all close to the ktk guys, i have no clue where you're getting this from but a few 2man dates doesn't equate to bff status. you won't know whats happening with them unless you've read stuff on tanu (which we all know how accurate it is), and as shimizuya is continuing to promote them, there's no reason to assume they'll call it quits OR that they'll instantly be wanted by ains. i don't think you get how labels work in the indies scene, these two labels aren't all that relevant in the greater scheme of things. if anything i'd see them on terakoya but that's talk for later

indie bands copy each other all the time it has little to do with labels, its like saying any band who has done anything similar to avelcain's menhera act is copying them and thus they will come back magically and sign with their label. for example Timely has xaa xaa and since they wore red and had a razor in the video while moaning about despair then suddenly they'll sign with them.  pretty much every band does that now, lol, gossip aren't unique in that regard and i doubt they give a rats ass as to what avelcain are doing, they've been in bands longer than karma or zen.

and also, shimizuya probably isn't as evil as everyone probably makes them out to be...there's always two sides to a story and while its really easy to claim that they're awful because lycaon and avelcain were alleged to have left them because of being overworked or whatever but that happens all across the scene. its just that lycaon were probably too old to keep dealing with it, and now they get to go at their own pace.

just my two cents

4 hours ago, emmny said:

that yamikakumei thing has already been discussed on the ktk news/band threads but most likely yes thats the case as @Takadanobabaalienwould attest to. visual kei and all its scams, LOL.

the shimizuya stuff makes no sense tho, sibire aren't at all close to the ktk guys, i have no clue where you're getting this from but a few 2man dates doesn't equate to bff status. you won't know whats happening with them unless you've read stuff on tanu (which we all know how accurate it is), and as shimizuya is continuing to promote them, there's no reason to assume they'll call it quits OR that they'll instantly be wanted by ains. i don't think you get how labels work in the indies scene, these two labels aren't all that relevant in the greater scheme of things. if anything i'd see them on terakoya but that's talk for later

indie bands copy each other all the time it has little to do with labels, its like saying any band who has done anything similar to avelcain's menhera act is copying them and thus they will come back magically and sign with their label. for example Timely has xaa xaa and since they wore red and had a razor in the video while moaning about despair then suddenly they'll sign with them.  pretty much every band does that now, lol, gossip aren't unique in that regard and i doubt they give a rats ass as to what avelcain are doing, they've been in bands longer than karma or zen.

and also, shimizuya probably isn't as evil as everyone probably makes them out to be...there's always two sides to a story and while its really easy to claim that they're awful because lycaon and avelcain were alleged to have left them because of being overworked or whatever but that happens all across the scene. its just that lycaon were probably too old to keep dealing with it, and now they get to go at their own pace.

just my two cents

Actually, Sibilebashir and Kuroyuri preform together a lot and there are a lot more backstage pictures of them compared to that of Grieva and GossiP. Just look through any of Kuroyuri's backstage photos and you'll see them with Izumi, Yuto, Marya, and Jin. If that's not close, idk what is. But I get your point there and it's pretty valid. 

Edited by AimiGen7

I got my copy of Virge's Utopia today. Mixed by, mastering engineer, jacket design, photographer, and hair make are all the same people as Mediena's Gothic Cult. But there's no management or producer listed, so that's all I can tell you; I've no idea if they're actually attached to Yukika in some way. I'll keep an eye on future releases and see if anything changes.

Anybody know who these guys are?

https://twitter.com/LIM_OfficiaI

They are starting acitivites next week and Yukika already follow them.

He usually only follows bands he have signed or bands he's close with so I'm a bit suspicious lmao.

They don't look like a band Yukika would sign though, but I just saw this on their youtube preview

"SE SOUND from DIAURA
Gu. 佳衣"

So he probably has something to do with them.

They're also opening act for some Ains gigs so yeah...

For some reason it makes me sad to see that the bands he managed has changed so much:

"Ains presents 「闇男狩リ」※男子限定GIG
LIVE

2017.09.01 [Fri] 池袋CYBER

ACT

LIM(O.A)/グリ―ヴァ/ゴシップ/MIZTAVLA/アマンジャク。"

I miss the Diaura/Grieva/Gossip/Kuroyuri era ;___;

Edited by Takadanobabaalien

I guess this is "news," sort of, if anyone finds it interesting... Ains is temporarily suspending payment confirmation and shipping from their web shop. The post doesn't explain why, just says it's due to company circumstances, so I hope it's not something terrible. The outage starts on June 15th and they hope to resume on July 3rd.

Great read! I used to keep track of Yukika's various label endeavours, but it's really nice to see such a comprehensible compilation!

Okay so at this point it is getting confusing to keep track of what bands Yukika signed to Ains/an Ains sub-label or simply is producing outside of Ains, so I thought I'd make a list:

Ains: 

DIAURA

MadWink. (official sub-label)

Gossip
Grieva (are they on Ains or MadWink.?)

Yamikakumei (official sub-label, which now (seem to be)) run by someone else(source?))
Kuroyuri to kage

Culminate:

MALISEND (disbanded)

V-Eyes Records:

Mediena (disbanded)

天邪組 (ten yokushimagumi*)
Amanjaku.

XIX BLACK RECORDS (can someone confirm this?)
MIZTAVLA

Possibly signed by Yukika:

LIM. (can somebody confirm this?) 

Virge (can somebody confirm this?)

* not sure about the reading

Am I missing something?