anadentone

Tanuki rumors (about vk artists)

On 8/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, inertia said:

I think it was around ’98 that we started to see some improvements in bandwidth and webpages that let us take it to the next level. There was a guy in Singapore (Paul? maybe?) where they had better wiring, who first started putting up a few tiny RA and RV files on a site, and he had one of the early message boards too. By this time I was out of school and my circle of friends and I were working in the early internet, which gave me access to equipment, software, and bandwidth that almost nobody had at that time. My friends were installing the actual wiring and servers to build the NYC internet, and uh… while they were at it, they stashed an old computer somewhere to be our own FTP server. We put up my files (I had a ton of stuff because I’d been running the tape-exchange listing, and also I bought stuff from the Japanese stores in NYC) and allowed other people to upload their own. I added a message board which was originally supposed to be for requests or whatever but it took on a life of its own as a discussion place.

😲😲 Missed that part the first time around, what an insane bit of history. Until someone comes up with evidence of mayor Giuliani doing furi at a band's show that's gonna be really hard to top.

Were members aware of this at the time or was it kept hush-hush until later?

Back in the day, there was the international channel that had their Asian block. Hey Hey Hey would air (sans Non Japanese artists) and  shows like Revolution which would air vk bands what appeared in Anime or was part of the Tofu records deal. Japanese releases of Seven and Boa (kpoppers) were on there, Orange Range, L~arc~en~ciel and TM revolution was heavily run on that show. From their forum, we learned about Limewire , Kazaa, and Frostwire for mp3 and day long to download PVs. From that came threads one Gaia and Myspace bulletins saying "OMG look at this weird shit!" and it being some DEG/Raphael vid. Mostly the un edited video for "Mazohyst of Decadence" was shown or some weirdo live vid of Mana/Gackt fanservice.