Sign in to follow this  
The Reverend

Best VK/Jrock song with lyrics purposefully censored?

Best VK/Jrock song with [redacted] lyrics?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. So, what's the best censorship beep in Jrock?

• Dir en grey - Mazohyst of Decadence
    • Nega - èº?èº?ã?ã?となくã??ã??ã?ã??å?·ä»?ã?ã?æ??å??はã?é??æ??ã?ã?となく穢ã??ã?ã??ã??ã?ã??飾ã??
    • Merry go round - ç?½ã?華ã??æ?£ã??ã?て
    • D'espairs Ray - ç?©è¦?
    • Pierrot - è?ªä¸»è¦å?¶
    • Other (tell us about it below)

The poll question says it all really... whats the best jrock/VK song that has the classic [censored] beep in it?

I don't really think Japan has an RIAA/FCC as such (and it's not like these indie VK bands are trying to get mainstream radio airplay with these songs), so these are instances of the band censoring words as a stylistic choice. And I really like all these songs... so hopefully you have examples of others to share!

Deg's Mazohyst of Decadence is probably the most famous of the songs listed if you need an example of what I'm talking about.

I voted for Merry Go Round's track myself... one of my fave songs.

i had to give it to merry go round, the point where it comes in the song is so harsh/unexpected and i remember it very fuckin well

A few general cases of aesthetic censorship:

uccd-319a-cover.png

Most of NEGA's releases have a PARENTAL ADVISORY logo, despite that being an American thing.

---

KyrTcnRl.jpg

SUGAR FORKFUL's Gougai features lyrics which are completely censored.

---

6igcnIyl.jpg

As do several Dali songs. The song rubber, in particular, was originally released with the lyric page completely blank. Upon releasing a re-recording of the song on their best album, the band included lyrics in the booklet, but obscured them.

---

I guess you might also consider some song titles/lyrics censored, eg. VIDOLL's 「一人斬りのクリ××ス」, which obscures the word CHRISTMAS.

---

DIR EN GREY has made a habit of censoring PVs and releasing uncensored versions later. And more recently, THE BLACK SWAN uploaded a censored version of THE HOPELESS at the request of one of the nude models involved in the original version (probably the only non-aesthetic case of censorship, tho it ends up looking pretty cool anyway...).

SAVAGE's 虚言癖Bの思考回路 has these bleeps but every one of their releases have the Parental Advisory label too

Also so does Skull's Black Riot at the very end

I actually REALLY like censor beeps in songs for some reason and I don't know why.  But when a song has one it becomes significantly more interesting to me and I enjoy it a lot more. 

I think my favorite example of a censor beep is the one at the 2:40 mark in Takadanobaba Ailen by Kuroyuri to Kage.  The placement of it is just perfect; it doesn't cut off any words when it starts or ends.  It sounds like there could literally be nothing that the censor is covering, and that intrigues me so much lol

while Unsraw just wrote something like "artist intentionally didn't publish lyrics" or so ...

EFyUx1zWoAYVft9?format=jpg&name=900x900

they actually published the lyrics as Core The Child ... kind of.

EFyUx1vX0AMIu4j?format=jpg&name=900x900

Alright another (awesome) example comes from this Madeth gray'll song. (shoutout to @hyura's amazing Madeth gray'll lyrics thread... without which I never would have noticed this. And obviously where I stole the lyrics transliteration from.)

At the 1:45 mark of this song Hisui sings:

剥き出しの愛し×××
Muki dashi no aishi xxx

There's no censored beep, there's no silence... he literally says XXX ("ecks, ecks, ecks!"). That's next-level.

Edited by The Reverend

Sign in to follow this