yakihiko

Your 9 Albums

YLt6u17.jpg

1.MALICE MIZER - Bara no seidou (薔薇の聖堂), I can't stop listening to this.

2.Moi dix Mois - Dixanadu

3.Versailles - Jubilee

4.Rentrer En Soi - the bottom of chaos

5.theGazettE - DIM

6.in Flames -  the jester race

7.X japan - Vanishig Vision

8.Art cube - Art cube(best album)

9.La'Mule - climax

1. New York Dolls - New York Dolls
2. Sweet - Desolation Boulevard
3. Hanoi Rocks - Back To Mystery City
4. Slade - Slayed?
5. Loudness - Loudness
6. Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love
7. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
8. X Japan - Vanishing Vision
9. Color - Gekitotsu!!

The Loudness album switches between their self-titled album and their Hurricane Eyes album; I like the self-titled album more for the musicianship on it but enjoy the songs off of Hurricane Eyes more.

Lycaon - camera obscura

VOG-7A.jpginitial'l - moon light down 53887_yl4-t.jpg

melanie martinez - crybaby

67b031844a2cf569976155084b7527c8.1000x10the juliet massacre - human abuse the-juliet-massacre-human-abuse.jpg

Infant Annihilator - The Elysian Grandeval Galèriarch

223443.jpgnicki minaj - roman reloaded the re upNicki_Minaj_-_Pink_Friday_Roman_Reloaded

Xepher - 【 D I S P L A Y 】

36102-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-u9rn.pngD'uAl - 「LOST HEAVEN」LOST-HEAVEN-JACKET.jpg

birth of sixx-6- - MAKE THE UNGLOUD OVER ROCK

ungloudoverrock.jpg   

Edited by blackdoll

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... this is a tough one, but I'm gonna try. Alright, let's see... my 9 favorite albums, in no order...

Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle (1991):

1612_foto1_product_groot.jpg

This is without a doubt in my top 3 favorite albums. Weird and bizarre to say the very least, Mr. Bungle's first album served as a tremendous eyeopener to me during my freshman year in high school, when I was trying to find some experimental stuff. Well goddamn, did I stumble in the right direction.

Okay, this next one is gonna seem kinda weird to all of you out there, but here me out.

Insane Clown Posse (ICP) - Riddlebox (1995):

Insane-Clown-Posse-%E2%80%93-1995-%E2%80

Yes, yes, yes, I know. ICP. I can hear it now: "HOW THE HELL CAN YOU PUT THEM UP?!?!" ... Well, let me tell ya. If you take them at face value as two guys rapping in facepaint about horror-esqued vengeance, sort of like rap antiheroes, then you'll probably be able to see the value in their first few records, especially their 1995 magnum opus "Riddlebox". The beats are baggy, the flows are surprisingly tight and the overall environment is pitch dark. Basically, if you can separate yourself from the rest of the anti-ICP lynch mob, you'll probably find yourself digging their early stuff. Crazy, I know.

Long story short: believe it or not, "Riddlebox" by ICP slays.

Twiztid - Mostasteless (1998):
Twiztid-Mostasteless.jpg

Okay, this album, this album right here, changed my life FOREVER. Before I stepped into the world of artsy avant-garde, I was heavily into underground hip hop. You know, the stuff that's barred from mainstream masses for different reasons. Sometimes it's because the rappers are too "real", too "comedic", too "violent" and just too "anti-mainstream". Well, those four reasons right there are why Twiztid probably had a hard time crossing over. With their first album, 1998's "Mostasteless", they combine a unique atmosphere centered on surrealistic violence, morbidly dark humor and mesmerizing flows and wordplay. This album was a huge stepping stone in me finding out who I was (the music eccentric) during my troubled times from 11 through 14. I actually met Twiztid a few years ago, and it was an utmost emotional high and something that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Prince - Purple Rain (1984):

t228221-b214145445_s400.jpg

When I was starting to really explore my roots as a musician, I didn't really have a single all-around idol to look up to. Kami from Malice Mizer was the closest to becoming that guy to me, but the one artist who truly inspired me to give it my all while simultaneously pumping out some of the best albums of all time is this lil' guy: Prince. I can't even begin to describe how much this guy meant to me as an artist. Since he was 19 years old, he wrote EVERYTHING, he arranged EVERYTHING, he played EVERYTHING... he was that guy. His stage shows were just the icing on the cake with how exciting they were. The "Purple Rain" album/soundtrack in particular remains his brightest moment, which pretty much everyone unanimously agrees on. This was also the album in many ways that brought me into the Purple One's world, and started my heavy Prince fanboy era. When the day came that he died, I can't even accurately explain how much it devastated me, it was like I lost a family member. Just the greatest of all time, right up there.

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP (1999):
Eminem_-_The_Slim_Shady_LP_CD_cover.jpg

Another one that may come to a shock to a few of you, but believe it or not, I was a HUGE Eminem fanatic as a kid. HUUUUUUGE. South Park and Eminem is what my years from 1999 through 2006 consisted of, and yes, it was as dysfunctional and fan-fuckin-tastic as it sounds. But anywho, I remember spinning "The Slim Shady LP" tons and tons of times as a kid, and even at that young age that I got it, it always wowed me with Em's now worldly-renowned style of saying the most fucked up thing you can think of, and adding a pitch black, comedic flair to it, which is how I suppose he crossed over to the mainstream. It is still absolutely one of my all time favorite albums, rap or otherwise, to this day.

Boredoms - Soul Discharge (1989):

6507-soul-discharge.jpg

Only one word can truly describe the early days of Boredoms: insanity. Pure, unadulterated insanity. Needless to say, when my 13 year old mind first found Boredoms, it was through their later Ritalin-taking days, so it didn't really make an impression on me. But when I returned a year later, I decided to poke around a bit, and that's when I found their early stuff, more specifically, "Soul Discharge". Needless to say, I was just blown away by how truly warped the album is. It's basically what a deranged, schizophrenic manic depressive cousin to punk rock would sound like, and it was fuckin' AWESOME. I still love listening to it to this day, and it definitely ranks in my top 10, let alone top 9 records of all time.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991):

cvr-loveless.jpg

This one was actually a later discovery in my life, probably when I was around 11th grade, so that's probably around 2011/2012. A bit late, but what the hell. Anyways, I suppose I always like shoegaze, since stuff I like, like Smashing Pumpkins's "Siamese Dream" album, was heavily influenced by the scene. But it wasn't until that age that I dug into it, and sooner or later, I came across the gem that is "Loveless". You can be totally sober, never taken a sip of alcohol or a puff of a blunt, but the second that "Loveless" starts, you're put in this morphine-like euphoria that is almost indescribable. I remember the first time I listened to it in its entirety was when I was on the phone talking to my friend. We're both quite opinionated, loud fucks when we talk, but when it started off with "Only Shallow", we were suddenly rocketed into this awesome galaxy where psychedelic-tinged lo-fi alternative rock ran supreme, and guitar and drowned, indecipherable vocals were king. We were silent for pretty much the rest of the record, which runs near an hour long. Look, don't take my word for it, look everywhere: it's a masterpiece. And believe me, your life is totally complete after you listen to "Loveless" in its entirety.

Nas - Illmatic (1994):
111d1a3b.jpg

Have you ever heard someone discredit rap and try to say it's not music? That it's not poetry? Are you, yourself, guilty of saying the same thing? Well then, if you are guilty of that, do yourself a favor and listen to "Illmatic" this very second. I remember when I picked this up from Media Play back in 2002/2003, I was actually amused because one of the tracks was titled "Life's a Bitch". At 7/8 years old, the gravity of that phrase doesn't sink in till a few years later, and you're just giggling because a swear word is on the tracklist uncensored. Little did I know the lingering impression it would have on me. The rhymes and instrumentals used on "Illmatic" portray a sort of sepia-toned (no pun intended) outlook on urban life, and it is just art. Seriously. This album proves that not only can rap be a respected music form like any other genres, but it goes one step beyond that and puts rap music in a category of art. That is how remarkable "Illmatic" is.

Bis - Social Dancing (1999):
tumblr_inline_mt2b98okQE1qz4rgp.jpg

While perhaps not as critically acclaimed as some of the albums on here, the Scottish band Bis's second album, 1999's "Social Dancing", definitely remains one of my all time favorites. What is perhaps the most fascinating part of Bis's catalog is the evolution in their sound. While at first they started out as bratty pop punks with a new wave influence, they later became much more serious in sound and became practically an all-out electronic act, with no pop punk influence at all. "Social Dancing" sort of represents a bridge in that evolution in that while it has some serious tracks, it also has that same playful attitude that Bis was founded on. Since I'm a huge fan of them, I love both eras just about the same, so "Social Dancing" would obviously be the supreme release to me. And since Bis also happen to be one of my all time favorite bands, then "Social Dancing" naturally make my top 9 as well.

Edited by robkun

Pretty tough to decide on only 9, but here we go:

1. D'espairsRay - [Coll:set]

2. D'espairsRay - Mirror

3. Deafheaven - Sunbather

4. 9GOATS BLACK OUT - devils in bedside

5. Epik High - Remapping the Human Soul / Tablo - Fever's End (Can't decide on one, but only want to include one Tablo record)

6. Subway To Sally - Herzblut

7. ONE OK ROCK - Niche Syndrome

8. girugamesh - girugamesh

9. Dir En Grey - Uroboros

What a fun topic to resurrect! 

tu0VuSA.jpg

1. C93 - All the Pretty Little Horses
  2. MERRY - Moderngarde
  3. B-T - Six/Nine
  4. Bowie - Station to Station
  5. Coil - Moon's Milk (In Four Phases)
  6. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
  7. The Mortal - I am Mortal
  8. Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
  9. BTS - Wings / You Never Walk Alone (repackage)

Pretty much in order, starting from my favorite. If someone was under the illusion I have good taste, there goes that :P

Edited by crossparallel

This was a challenge for me. So many great albums out there.

1. Acid Black Cherry – Q.E.D

2. hide – Psyence

3. アルルカン – ニア・イコール 

4. MEJIBRAY – THE "420" THEATRICAL ROSES

5. Lynch. –  D.A.R.K.-In the Name of Evil-

6. Janne Da Arc – Another story

7. ぞんび – ぼくらはみんな死んでいる。

8. L'Arc〜en〜Ciel – Heart

9. MORRIGAN – トランキライザ

I was a Juggalo years back indeed lol. But those albums have left a huge impression on me, so I'll always love em lol.

5 hours ago, crossparallel said:

The fact that you have Current 93, Coil, Merry and BTS on your list shows you have wide taste in music

Edited by fieldsgrow

Not in particular order.

1. Kiryu - Shunka Ensen
2. The GazettE - DIM

3. RENTRER EN SOI - Yurikago
4. Versailles - JUBILEE

5. Madeth Gray'll - Higeki no Shuumaku

6. NoGoD - Mugenkyou

7. Alice Nine - GEMINI

8. DIV - Zero One

9. Matenrou Opera - Kassai to Gekijou no Gloria

Wow, pretty much I only listen to mainstream visual-kei :/

Edit : turns out, I already post it year ago. Well, this is embarrassing me even further :/

Edited by Spectralion

6 hours ago, fieldsgrow said:

The fact that you have Current 93, Coil, Merry and BTS on your list shows you have wide taste in music

Thank you.

Spoiler

Funny thing is, now that I think about it, 8 of these seem very different, but can be connected to each other six-degrees-of-music-separation style without even having to bring up anything but the members' side projects. [MERRY covered B-T;  Sakurai (B-T) covered Bowie; Imai (B-T) got to collab with Coil when he was doing SCHAFT ; Coil, Marc Almond (Soft Cell) and Current 93 have all worked with each other; and finally, Jack of the Puritans appeared on Current's last full-length, completing the graph.] And then there's BTS xD

Edited by crossparallel

It was not easy to pick 9 Albums, I like quite a lot:

1. Plastic Tree - Puppet Show

2. UnsraW - Spiral Circle

3. D'espairsRay - [Coll:set]

4. Dir En Grey - Kisou

5. Buck-Tick - Sexy Stream Liner

6. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

7. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

8. Sigh - Scorn Defeat

9. Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel To Anything

And yes, I have only chosen albums, no mini albums or singles.

15 hours ago, robkun said:

I was a Juggalo years back indeed lol. But those albums have left a huge impression on me, so I'll always love em lol.

Are you on Faygo right now? ^^

klGp3JB.png

Choosing only nine albums  was harder than I thought and I spent way too much time thinking about this... Still couldn't put them in any particular order though >.>

1. Sunrise Avenue - On The Way To Wonderland

2. Tokio Hotel - Zimmer 483

3. Indica - Tuuliset tienoot

4. Turisas - Stand Up And Fight

5. 방탄소년단 (BTS) - Young Forever

6. Powerwolf - Blessed & Possessed

7. Korpiklaani - Manala

8. Amon Amarth - Jomsviking

9. メディーナ (Mediena) - Gothic Cult

On 2017-4-25 at 0:22 AM, robkun said:

In all seriousness though, orange Faygo is delicious! XD

I'm sure it is. F.A.M.I.L.Y.!

No order and japanese only, for now:

X - Blue Blood

Dead End- Shambara

Mucc - Kyuutai

Versailles - Jubilee

Nightmare - Anima

Phantasmagoria - Requiem - Floral Edition 

Penicillin - Ultimate Velocity

XA-VAT -  艶°C

Cali Gari - Dai 5 Jikkenshitsu

Edited by madygrain

On 4/23/2017 at 10:57 PM, crossparallel said:

wtf i love your music taste now

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

wtf i love your music taste now

Thank you, this is sweet. (Love your taste too.) Guess I just get irrationally defensive when talking about the things I feel the strongest about, and my favorite music is very high up there, self-deprecation is an automatic defense. Which is super silly, because unthinkingly I end up insulting what I love the most.

It's hard to pick just 9, and these aren't necessarily my favorites now, but I think they've had the most impact on my musical tastes.

954455723c.jpg

Depeche Mode – Violator

I love 80s music (and the 80s in general), and this album is everything I love most about it, especially at the turn of the century when it was released. Even making a top 9 list of just 80s music would be difficult, so I’m just leaving it at this.

Tori Amos – From the Choir Girl Hotel

This album got me interested in music as more than just something to listen to in the car/on the radio. Lyrically it’s amazing and covers a wide variety of topics that have stayed, resonated, and continue to resonate with me.  The MV for “Jackie’s Strength” is stunningly beautiful, especially at the end.

Ayumi Hamasaki – Duty

This album got me into j-pop. Whether you love or hate her voice, Ayu’s real talent is as a lyricist. Her (older) catalogue has song for just about every mood imaginable. Sadly her recent stuff is somewhat of a stain on what is otherwise a solid career. :/ It was hard to decide whether to include this one or Hikaru Utada – Distance.

Malice Mizer – Merveilles

This album is what made me dive head first into visual kei. I had never heard anything like it and the visuals and melodic rock totally reeled me in. Although the album sounds rather dated now, the concert recording for this album never gets old.

Kuroyume – Feminism

Ugh I just love everything about Kuroyume during this period. This album really shaped my taste in visual kei. “Love Song” and “Kuchizuke” should be way more popular than they are. Lyrically and thematically this album is solid through and through.

Plastic Tree – Träumerei (Toroimerai)

This probably isn’t their most impressive work, but it’s an album I can’t help but keep coming back to, even now. This might be my favorite song off the album, but it changes every now and then:

Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke

Purity Ring – Another Eternity

Mitski – Puberty 2

These albums pretty much sum up my current taste in music. I like that a lot of artists now are drawing inspiration from the 80s and meshing it with other genres. I would have included St. Vincent – St. Vincent on this list as well, but unfortunately I feel like it needs to be heard live to truly appreciate what a masterpiece it is.

Edited by jaymee