Sign in to follow this  
beni

The Visual Novel/Otome Thread (18+)

Warning: 18+ content. It's a fact that many Visual Novels are Eroge games, meaning they're NSFW. While there's patches for most of these that remove such scenes, and some even allowing an option to do so in its Japanese release, PLEASE REFRAIN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WHEN WANTING TO ADDRESS ANY ADULT THEMES. Purchasable Visual Novels will more than likely have cut out these scenes for sure. Fair warning ahead!

What's a Visual Novel?

Visual Novels usually contain voicing acting, music and anime like characters stills, and are very text heavy (some even have live-action stills/footage). Actual gameplay isn't a major feature in these. The biggest interaction is usually making choices (with an acceptation of a few unique games which we'll get to in a bit). What this means is that the player takes the position of the main character/protagonist and makes certain options for them that can change the plot's progression. This is usually two or three choices. These are known as routes (the main one being called the common route), that can lead further into the story, to a bad end or a game over. Some Visual Novels might not even have this option, and they're referred to as Kinetic Novels/Sound Novels. Visual Novels can either be short, lengthy, or extremely lengthy, being over 50+ hours (see Fate/Stay) to completely unlock/see everything it has to offer. As the name suggests, a Visual Novel has mixed media, just look at it as an anime styled book.

mgintro_steinsgate.jpg

What's an Otome?

Take this as a genre of simulator/dating sim games (while VNs can have such a focus, not all of them do, while the majority of Otomes' main objective is being a dating simulator). This is typically aimed at a female audience, with the main goal of the plot being that the player has to develop a relationship with a man out of a variety of guys (this is known as a reverse harem), or even females if it's a same-sex game. A harem can be in Visual Novels too, but the main point of an Otome is it being about dating, therefor a dating sim. Visual Novels are usually always purchased, and can be quite expensive, but Otome games can be free of charge, 'label your own price', or purchasable at almost the same price.

46907d1390575702t-nicole-otome-romance-v

Popular Otome games have been adapted, for example, there's the well known Diabolik Lovers, Amnesia, Uta no Prince-sama and Hakuōki. In the same case, did you know that Clannad, Higurashi, Little Busters! and Danganronpa were Visual Novels at first, then adapted into the anime series?

As already brought up, there's some Visual Novels with features more than just your typical VN. A prime example of this is Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which also has role playing mechanics when you can go to battle and do item creations. I'm currently playing this one, but I'm sure there's more examples with such elements in them too.

hqdefault.jpg

Got any resources then?

I recommend sakevisual as a starter if you're new to Otomes. Their short games are free to download and those which aren't have a demo available. It's where I first fell in love with this genre of gaming.

I love, love, love this site that updates and lists a variety of new Otome features. Easy navigation, and very friendly/helpful runners of the site. Also, check out tumblr for even easier findings of Otome information.

For the Boy's Love genre, check out this forum for lastest news, help and translations and links for games. 

Something else to note is that while these genres are typically for PC, Mac, and Android, games on other consoles can be classified as them. For example, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (NDS), Ace Attorney (NDS/3DS) and Steins;Gate (PS3, ported) all have Visual Novel features. Feel free to bring up anything that as mechanics already spoken of on any platform.

So what do I have to say on them?

I love 'em, which is why I created this thread. I didn't jump on board straight away in making it due to its content, so please, as a reminder, let's keep this as clean and neat as possible, avoiding talking about or linking anything gory, disturbing and/or sexual. Feel free to give out NSFW warnings when necessary though.

tumblr_inline_mzlxc1gMfE1svy7ac.jpg

My favourite Visual Novels are those done by Nitro+chiral. Their Boy's Love in particular. Sweet Pool (Boy's Love) and Saya no Uta (recommended to those with a strong stomach) are my favourite Visual Novels. They're both similar with dark and bloody content, but they're totally gripping, with some of the neatest music in any media I've ever heard. OSTs usually go over my head, but they totally nailed it to enhance the atmosphere and it really does hit you in the face (well, ears) when it's only that you're hearing while reading the text/story. I wasn't expecting Sweet Pool to be as emotional as it was, and it really left an impression on me, more so than anything else I'll list. Just go play it already!

I've played both DRAMAtical Murder and its spin-off, DMMD Reconnect, but I find the whole thing overrated which ruined it for me by the time I finished playing through them. In the same way, after finishing Togaichu No Chi, I can't understand all the fever and love over it. They were both worth while though, but nothing stood out unlike the first two I mentioned. I've started Nitro's Lamento-Beyond the Void, which is the longest game Nitro ever made and it being recently translated completely, I was so hyped for it. It's super fun and interesting as to where I've got to and hopefully it gets only better the more it gets into it.

I'm slowly making my way through Enzai - Falsely Accused and Ever 17. The first is another Boys Love one, and it's probably the most disturbing one yet (as least to me), so fair warning to those with a light heart. It's about a boy being.. well, falsely accused, and trying to deal with his inmates while also finding a way of being freed from prison. It's nail biting stuff and also quite old fashioned, since the art looks super outdated and mediocre music at best, but all can be forgiven for its plot. However, the NSFW content can be an understandable turn off because of how real the setting is, so fair warning again! Ever17 was made by the same people who did 999, and this is super recommended and safe for everyone. Nothing NSFW here! Check out the whole infinity series by KID in fact! It has the same mysterious and suffocating setting as 999/Virute's Last Reward. It's very well made and has a gripping story and wonderful visuals all round.

I'm really unsure in bringing this one up but I have to because it's such a stand out for all the wrong reasons; Hadaka Shitsuji. I cannot and will not recommend this to any living soul unless you want to regret everything you've ever made. It's a painfully stupid and embarrassing game, and it's truly cringe worthy and almost wants you to rip out your own eyes with what visuals it displays. Extremely NSFW, google at your own risk.

I was obsessed for a good time with Lucky Dog 1, which is about a mafia group of five dudes who are in jail. They attempt a break out one day when they all receieve a letter from their boss stating if the main character can successfully break them all out, he'll be the new boss of CR-5 (the mafia's group name). It's not that long of a game really, but it has repeat value when going through your possible suitor's routes. Rather melodramatic but cute at the same time, nothing too NSFW apart from happy love making at the end of each route. Or death if you make the wrong move... And don't get me started on the beautiful art.

ivan+kopiera.jpg

With Otome games, I like playing the free ones. I have yet to get to the well known ones already listed above, but here's a few I've played and completed.

Halloween Otome is pretty fun to pass the time with. Cute guys and a cute set up. 

ho_by_chocobikies-d7jssya.jpg

RE:Alistair++, done by already mentioned sakevisual is an even funner one to try out. Lovely simulator and just really pleasant all round. Also, if you manage to not take a peek at a walkthrough for both this and the Halloween Otome, it can take a while completing both, and keep in mind again these are just free games! Both are brilliantly executed.

realistair-b.jpg

The Second Reproduction I believe is an official game and marketed, so unlike the other two, this isn't free. It's romantic and has a great story line for a simulator, if not a bit shaky on some parts, but well worth a play through. I'd suggest going through each game in this order, it goes from good to great to awesome.

the-second-reproduction-game.jpg

Also, I've only spent about half an hour on it, but Hatoful Boyfriend deserves a mention. It's bloody brilliant. Let's have a game with dog and cats characters next please.

header.jpg?t=1447362420

I'm going to have to make an indie one after this now... @~@

Never thought I'd see the thread...I own atleast 3 VN's. They are rather explicit along with even more explicit anime adaptations.

75ae475a28cd7bd2da33f50378954bb512463577

Taimanin Asagi

Kangoku Senkan

Imouto Paradise

(these games are so fucking weird, tentacles, incest, ect. lmao) 

hatoful boyfriend is iconic

i played starry sky a loooot when the translation came out and i enjoyed it lol i have amnesia sitting here waiting to be played too.

also i got to play dramatical murder without even knowing what it was about and i regret it to this day

unfortunately i forgot most of the visual novels i have played ;__; but im always looking for good ones WITH LOTS OF CHICKS TO PICK UP.

Just seeing those two words together makes me want to drown in my own tears.

trust me its as bad as it sounds.

lol... Visual novels are great, played a few in my time, some of the best I've played are;

Steins;Gate

Clannad

Fate/Stay Night

Danganrapan

and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

What's really cool is that steam has started selling more VN's lately, it's actually starting to catch on here more now, which is fucking awesome because before back in the day your only chance was if someone did a fan translation and you had to patch the JP version of the game.... that's how I originally played a lot of the games above xD

I have played a number of VN's, mostly otome. I try to restrict myself to the ones on Playstation platforms, meaning zero 18+ content. They are great for learning Japanese.

Hakuouki - I think this was the first one I played in Japanese and it was difficult as hell due to the historical setting.. lots of terms I did not know.

Hakuouki Sweet School Life - Totally disturbed that this girl was dating her teachers

White Album 1 + 2 

Diabolik Lovers (Limited V edition + More Blood + Dark Fate)

Code:Realize 

Amnesia + Amnesia World - Only liked 2 of the guys, and World was total crap waste of money

Steins:Gate + Hiyoku renri no Darling - Actually I did not like these very much

彼女(あのコ)はオレからはなれない - Playing this on & off right now, it's kind of terrible

Danganronpa 1 + 2 - Played in English, not sure if these really count as VN

999 + Virtue's Last Reward - Played in English, not sure if these really count as VN

XBlaze Code Embryo - only bought this cuz I wanted to support English localization of VNs

Love Plus

Tokimeki Memorial Girls Side

.. there might have been a couple more for DS that I've forgotten.

Reine des Fleurs - I bought this last August and haven't touched it yet.. but it has the most beautiful characters ever

Hatoful Boyfriend - Bought for Vita, haven't played yet

On 2/10/2016 at 10:26 PM, peffy said:

999 + Virtue's Last Reward - Played in English, not sure if these really count as VN

Came here just to post about this. x'D I've got 4 out of 6 of the endings. I decided to skip on the Axe ending since I thought it'd be too similar to the Knife ending I already got. I rushed through to get to the Safe Ending so I could unlock the True Ending, in which I'm in the middle of now. I'd say it can be called a Visual Novel/puzzle game, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly categorized as such. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to now. Now I want to get the sequels, even though the latest, Zero Time Dilemma, looks EXTREMELY stiff and not as interesting as 999, or Virtue's Last Reward. I even spoiled quite a bit for myself on the later because of my excitement (also can we just take a moment to appreciate Sigma's everything. Wow. And I don't know whether that's weird or not depending on the big spoiler of the game... x'D).

Another on the DS I recently got into was Ace Attorney. Yes, late again. I am really enjoying the interaction aspect of it just like the puzzle solving of 999. I took a pause on it because I was getting through it way too quick though. May need to get more games of it, but I'm definitely leaning more towards getting VLR first.

I've just realized I really need to somehow play Dangarapan now, but it just has to be everything and on every console I don't have. x'D

Also~

On 1/28/2016 at 5:56 PM, seurong said:

also i got to play dramatical murder without even knowing what it was about and i regret it to this day

REGRET? HOW COULD YOU REGRET?!?!?!? X'D

Still on topic, but I don't think you're interested if you regret, lol. But honestly, I don't get how it's so popular.. I enjoyed it though, but I refrain from ever touching it again. Not as amazing as so many people warrant it. I MUCH prefer the other BL games under the Nitro name. Sweet Pool and Lamento are the highest tier, like holy damn. Everything about those two VNs, from the music to the characters and story-line (progression), is breathtaking. Even Togainu no Chi was disappointing as I got to it just after playing both Dramatical Murder and its sequel. TnC is also pretty up there in BL VN regards. Maybe I had to high of expectations.

9 hours ago, beni said:

I've just realized I really need to somehow play Dangarapan now, but it just has to be everything and on every console I don't have. x'D

Danganronpa 1 & 2 are on Steam, which I assume you have access to?

(by the way, I appreciate how neither you nor Original Saku can spell it correctly, lol)

I completely forgot about Ace Attorney when I made my list. I played several of those and thought they were great. Too bad they aren't on Vita. Hotel Dusk is another one on DS that was pretty good. 

I'd like to jump into Zero Time Dilemma soon, but I've COMPLETELY forgotten the plot of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. X_X

Will have to watch/read a plot summary before I play it..

LMAO, I didn't even notice the spelling, I just referenced Saku. x'D I've been meaning to get into Steam more. My PC is just shocking running most things, but I'll give it another go. 

I actually have Hotel Dusk.  I haven't gotten too far in it, but that's a really complimentary game alongside the ones already mentioned. I feel like I've spoiled quite a lot of things (won't mention them here), but apart from how the graphics looks in ZTD, I have a feeling I'll end up buying both at some point. Would love to hear your thoughts on ZTD if you ever get to it.

On 7/15/2016 at 1:39 AM, peffy said:

I completely forgot about Ace Attorney when I made my list.

ARE ACE ATTORNEY CONSIDERED VISUAL NOVELS? What is this? Why? How? Seriously? Have I been playing Visual Novels this whole time? I thought they were... I dunno... puzzle games?

3 hours ago, The Dead Wolf. said:

ARE ACE ATTORNEY CONSIDERED VISUAL NOVELS? What is this? Why? How? Seriously? Have I been playing Visual Novels this whole time? I thought they were... I dunno... puzzle games?

Visual Novels have puzzles and mini games all the time incorporated into their core mechanics. I think the thing with Ace Attorney is that it's quite a well known and popular series. While in Comparison most VN's are niche and lower budget affairs, so you wouldn't normally associate it with them especially if you don;t have a good grasp on what a VN is in the first place.

But to answer your question, yes. I personally consider Ace Attorney to be a visual novel with puzzle mechanics.

Danganronpa is at the top of my favorite visual novels right now. I can't wait for the new steam release coming in the summer. 

I have yet to complete Steins;Gate although I enjoy the story etc. It goes on for a bit too long (yeah I know, every VN does) 

I guess huniepop could be an otome game... Depending how you look at it,  It's a western dating Sim game, mainly aimed at dudes but you so get the option of playing as a girl (who likes girls) . The match-3 game element, along with the awful American voice acting,   the variety of girls available IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN! I'd totally recommend purchasing it. 

VNs by ebihime. Her stories are mostly yuri, but not the gross fanservice for men type of yuri, her stories are cute and romantic. She does have some heterosexual pairing stories,  I just haven't played any yet. The latest one I finished was Asphyxia. Extremely depressing,  but the art was lovely. 

Another VN I finished not long ago(not otome) was little witch romanesque. The art is super fucking cute and your day in-game is divided between going to lessons(where they have a mini game of dice rolling)  to learn new magic spells, completing quests on the world map and progressing the story. The magic skill tree is quite complex,  it's a lot of fun and the quests are often humorous and used to build on character development. 

If I'm not mistaken,  it's available on steam without the sex scenes. But honestly, 98% of them only happen at the end of a character's route but if you skip them,  nothing's lost either. Overall, such a well made and fun visual novel that I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Also I completed hatoful boyfriend 100% and I can say, without jumping on the bandwagon of 'lol it's just a random wtf game lol',  I was lost in the rich story and characters and it's a lot darker than it seems at first. I wish more people would approach it as a game,  instead of a gimmick. lol

Yume Miku Kusuri is one I haven't 100%'d, but it was alright. You have 3 girls to pick from I think,  each one is a personified version of a negative trait. E.g addiction to drugs, overworking, etc. And of course it's up to you to save these girls. The MC is a bit of a dickhead, nothing new on the protagonist front. 

I want to get into more otome games,  specially Diabolik lovers. I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the anime lol. So I'll keep track of this thread so I can come back to it. 

Edited by Platy

Here to represent Zero Time Dilemma! Everyone in the world appears to hate it, but I thought it was amazing! Virtue's Last Reward was my 'nam. 

Sign in to follow this