Sign in to follow this  
Spike760

D'espairsRay - SQUALL

I've been a fan of D'espairsRay for a couple years now. I have their entire discography and videography. SQUALL is their newest release (until Mirror). Recently D'espairsRay has changed up in style, "Kogoeru Yoru ni Saita Hana" was the first song to show this change. Now they're slightly poppy, but still good. Just not as hardcore. "SQUALL" was just like "Kogoeru Yoru ni Saita Hana" but I think I like it better. "Desert" was more like classic D'espairsRay, more hardcore but still catchy. And "Screen" was like a ballad, which I didn't like as much, but I guess Ito does, lol.

Overall I think the single is amazing, "SQUALL" is beautiful, and the PV for it is just as good, it was very well done.

What does everyone else think of this single?

awesome awesome awesome. though it is a little different then what i'm used to when it comes to their music, it still made me really happy. The PV is beautiful, i love it.

Yeah i noticed the same thing that their music was getting a lilttle bit more poppy and as for their new single; it blew me away espeacially Squall, and i realy liked desert too and i agree with you on screen.

:)

Took my review from My blog:

I've been looking forward to this CD's release for some time and I was excited to find it up for download on Batsu. I snatched it and have been listening to it nonstop. Maybe it was worth the wait.

The title track, SQUALL, is something I wasn't expecting from D'espairsRay at all. It's poppy! Karyu's shines in this song and Hizumi voice is no slouch either. You won't find any screaming hear, but instead Hizumi shows us that he doesn't need to scream to make an awesome song. at the very beginning and near the end of there's some violins in the background that give it an epic sound. The production here is equally good. This is a very unexpected song from D'espairsRay, but an all around awesome song.

The next track, Desert, picks up with something of more traditional D'espairsRay flavor. Hizumi is back to his screaming again, but I wish it had a bit more raw sound to it, I think they added too much synth to it. The slower parts of this song are a bit lacking, but they're short so it doesn't get to boring. The second half of the song is what really does it for me, the song keeps a more constant pace. Not one of D'espairsRay's best songs, but it's still very good. Also, it lets us know that the old D'espairsRay hasn't left yet.

The final track, Screen, is once again something I never saw coming from D'espairsRay. Screen comes in the form of a haunting ballad. This song has slowly worked it's way into my heart. It starts of with Hizumi singing, with little background except some creepy background synth noises and a few light piano notes. The synth pics up and it sends you on your way through this awesome ballad. All the member except for Hizumi have seemed to disappear on this track. This may be the most different thing D'espairsRay has ever done, and I think they did an amazing job. I can see this song becoming one of my favorites... Reminds me a lot of Guniw Tools song Dearly Dark Nap.

A poppy song, a old fashion rocker, and a ballad. D'espairsRay have caught me off guard with single and I love it. I know I might be a bit easy on it here, but hey...

Rating: 5 out of 5

Thank you!

XD

I actually spent some time on something for once, lol. I'm hopefully going to be doing more reviews like this soon, especially with all these new releases coming up.

Favorite d'espairs ray song is probably either reddish diva version or Hai to Ame.

what about for you guys?

- SQUALL

- Dears

- In Vain

Sign in to follow this