emmny

Favourite Live Performances?

while there's a thread for best live DVDs, imma make this for the best live performance (a specific song) caught on DVD.

my pick HANDS DOWN goes to fatima's extended 8 minute version shizumu taion they perfomed at the last live. everything about this is perfect: the band's romantic flower costumes, the "snow" falling during the mid point, hitomi breaking down half way and his voice cracking while the snow falls over him and the break where lay goes off on an incredibly sad bass solo while the guitars twinkle in the back before roaring to a wall of sound closing off the live. i haven't seen a single live performance (maybe with exception to blitz 5days' zakuro) that was so utterly perfect.

please comment below with the specific live performances (caught on tape!) that you cant forget

I dont generally like lives but zankoku no SALOME @ stylish wave countdown '13-'14 [2013.12.31] is hands down my favorite, Yuuki's freaking awesome groove along with his amazing unique voice and the bands shredding energy + hype backtracking synths has not only the crowd getting their life but also the viewers that are watching from their computer screens.

@10:00

Phantasmagoria - -ECLIPSE OF MYTH-~2007.8.31 Osaka Kokusaikouryuu Centre~ is one the best LIVE DVD I never seen. It's their (first) last live. Really epic, emotional and intense moments here. 33 songs and a beautiful for an epic farewell.

Matenrou Opera - Faust (DAWN OF ANOMIE in Akasaka BLITZ)

Their first LIVE DVD and It is so great. ANOMIE is their best album and Faust is probably one of their best song. The live performance is absolutely amazing. Sono is perfect. The atmosphere is dark There is fire.

DIR EN GREY - MACABRE (DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN)

No words for that. It's just a masterpiece.

D'espairsRay - Closer to Ideal (Spiral Staircase #15 Final)

One of the best Visual band ever. This is my favorite song and my favorite live performance.

the GazettE - 13 STAIRS[-]1 (TOUR09 -DIM SCENE- FINAL AT SAITAMA SUPER ARENA -)

One of their best song imo. Really good live performance. This is dark and psychedelic.

RENTRER EN SOI - Last Word (Millenarianism -The War Of Megiddo-)

This is their last live. Beautiful song. Satsuki is amazing. The show was really intense and emotional especially the end with STAY GOLD.

Haven't seen that many live footages, but this one makes me smile. The big balloons, the sock/rag doll that Yuuki always flings around with whenever they perform this song. They look like they're having so much fun! Yuuki can't even sing properly sometimes because he's too busy having fun, haha.

Jinkaku Radio - Oningyousan

Gonna add this one too since I was watching the full dvd the other day and was quite touched by this one. It's quite a huge contrast from their song above. The flames and the reddish orange hues of the stage heighten the feeling of pain and anguish expressed by this powerful song. Beautiful and sad.

Jinkaku Radio - Ubasuteyama

bringing this back bitches

vamps - glamorous sky (mika nakishima cover)

no i dont stan hyde/l'arc/vamps in any way but the grungy guitars meeting the pretty lead melody and hyde's gruff vocals on the pretiest chorus melody like ever written in j music while he looks all sexy into the camera is godly. this cover's also live only but hyde wrote the original anyway, and he plays it as if he owns the damn song (which he fucking does)

kagerou - yuugure no shazai (saishu kouen)

standard hype livehouse number, except daisuke's insanity makes every second of the 10 minutes exciting. otherwise known as "jrocker x waterbottle". watching the staff forcibly rip him apart from the audience who would basically devour him alive if they had the chance to is fucking awesome, and the fact that he does it again and again while the band is busy going off on kagerou's signature song is equally awesome. oh and he simulates jerking off with the waterbottle not once BUT TWICE before throwing it (along with his clothes) into the audience. if there's a visual kei archive, this belongs there along with all the other iconic visual kei moments.

the pretiest chorus melody like ever written in j music 

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. God this is soooo 2005 for me lol.

Edit: I just found out about Mika's condition. That's a terrible thing to happen to a musician. Hopefully she can continue to enjoy performing regardless.

My shout out to GacktxKami - Regret. That duet is wonderful.

Another nod to Gackt's Birdcage, from I believe the live was Jougen no Tsuki.

Inoran can't sing for shit, but this performance still absolutely gives me chills. Incorrectly dated, this was years after Luna Sea broke up and no one was playing LS material solo. First time I saw this... man... let's just say it got me feelin' a certain kind of way. The roar of the crowd when they realize it's "Gravity" ... not a dry eye in the place. It was something special.

Leaving this here

It's been a while since I have seen top notch unplugged lives. Also: Hyde x Chara duet here is pure love <3

bumping my own thread just bc this is too amazing

avelcain - zange... (final live)

Spoiler

avelcain had activities in tokyo for most of the latter part of their career (or at least thats where their major onemans were held) and i totally forgot they were based in nagoya to begin with. 4/5 days or so (from what i remember) is when they announced that they sold out the live, which was a huge thing for a band of avelcain's size to sell out such a historic and iconic venue. they were inspired a lot by the old school, and even hina tweeted saying how much avelcain had resembled a matina band (which was as big of a compliment as they deserve). zange is a sad song, and avelcain play it at neck breaking tempos compared to its original. the band can barely keep up most of the time, even the drummer is prone to flubbing but it makes for a manic live song; as seen here. the band's fake despair is pushed to the max as karma literally gets up there to the tune of the whole floor headbanging furiously, mostly unable to sing judging how hoarse his voice sounds and proceeds to cut his hair while mouthing some particularly scary lyrics. the camera then pans to him tossing his hair into the audience...i swear im not a fanboy but that was fucking sick

Edited by emmny

Dead end - kaosmoscape 25th aniversary live

Deadman last live

Sukekiyo persuasio

Lunasea- lunacy live & sin after sin

ENDS- TOTAL TONE LIVE 2015

Atsushi sakurai explosion live

Baroque last live no future

LUNA SEA's live performances are some of my favorites.

Their Lunatic Tokyo gig from 1995 in Tokyo Dome was one of the first live clips I ever saw of them, therefore it has stuck with me ever since. This performance of RAIN is great, and in general RAIN is an underappreciated song because it's a B-side (which IMO deserved to have been on MOTHER).

My favorite performance of LOVE SONG:

Ryuichi's vocals are amazing as always.

Also a very underrated song. Not sure what DVD/concert it's from but I love it.

Also, one of their best performances of all time CAPACITY -NEVER SOLD OUT- 10th anniversary gig

This concert is legendary not only because it's a great show but:

"They then planned an ambitious open-air concert in Tokyo, with a stage costing 10 million dollars US. However, on May 27, two days before the planned concert, a typhoon storm destroyed the elaborate set. However, at the suggestion of Sugizo, the debris was used as a backdrop. The 10th Anniversary Gig [Never Sold] Out Capacity ∞ was held on May 30, began with the members arriving in a helicopter, and was attended by approximately 100,000 people, an attendance record in Japan at the time"

Imagine this being done by a vk band! Love it. Fun fact: LUNA SEA were called "band of disasters" or "natural disaster band", because a lot of their gigs were ruined by typhoons etc. 

On 28/03/2016 at 5:06 PM, NICKT said:

My shout out to GacktxKami - Regret. That duet is wonderful.

Another nod to Gackt's Birdcage, from I believe the live was Jougen no Tsuki.

Because everyone else is linking to videos, figured I'd try and find them.

That L'arc~en~ciel one where Hyde walks around and just yells "ARE YOU FUCKING READY" in between lines of Ready Steady Go near the crowd, then flops back up on to the stage like a sea lion

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

Well, I've never been one to watch many concerts, cause whenever I have two hours to spare in front of the TV or PC I usually spend them on Netflix. Meaning whenever I do watch lives they're usually from bands I really like. That being said, I've watched lives from only a handful of bands. 

Here's my pics (couldn't pick one)

L'Arc~en~Ciel's 20th L'Anniversary Day 1: The setlist was just perfect. While L'Arc doesn't offer live presentations with the same chemistry they used to, that live was just beautiful and probably made me cry at more than one song.

Acid Black Cherry's 5th Anniversary Live (was it Erect Live?): ABC quickly replaced L'Arc as my favorite non-vk band a few years ago based solely on live performances. While L' is legendary, their live performances lately feel really dull and Yasu certainly knows how to make a 2 1/2 hour live REALLY entretaining. Plus, this live included songs from all the albums, since it wasn't a promotional live for any release, and everything about it was on point. I simply loved it.

D's Ultimate Lover FC live: The very last live they played before the hiatus where they covered a good chunk of the Vampire Story. But what I really loved about this live was Ruiza's solo work and so many instrumental pieces while Asagi was changing outfits (he wore like 6 different costumes in this live). All those great instrumental solos, plus the wide coverage of D's darker themes, plus their self parodies as animals at the end made this live entretainig and emotive. And one I keep rewatching. Best $80 ever spent lol

This put some respect on mao's name so i post. Kyo wass good? kyo who?

Edited by blackdoll

I absolutely love watching the gazette's 'Maximum Royal Disorder Tour 2005 Final @ Shibuya Kokaidou' DVD and their 'Nameless Liberty Six Guns Tour 2006 Final @ Budokan' DVD, there's so much energy with both of these performances, and both a great example just how great their stuff was back in their indies/early major days