niivozombie

Old School Visual Kei

Even though Visual Kei began its path during the late 70's it is interesting that a much recent wave is what we call "old school Visual Kei". I attribute it the fact that it was during the 90's when Visual kei finally consilodated a musical style, a pattern easily recongnisable that inspired other bands...

On 8/2/2016 at 6:00 AM, desparejo86 said:

I think that all the bands from that era have lightened up and are finally embracing their visual roots. Luna Sea put on their old stage clothes and rerecorded their debut, and Dir en Grey seem to be experimenting with being a visual kei band again (in their own way and on their own terms, per usual with them)

In the 90s visual kei was an exploding fad, and no band wants to admit they're a part of the fad, because it both puts them in a box musically and also suggests they didn't entirely make it on their own merits. Many landmark bands from other movements like goth, emo, metalcore, numetal, etc. have rejected being called such as well for similar reasons.

I always thought that Dir en grey tried to disassociate themselves from Visual Kei, especially during the mid 2000's because they were trying to find acceptance in the West and in the circles where they were likely to find western fans bands that care about aesthetics are not well received so they kind of picked up this mentality to assimilate the culture that most likely would have accepted them.

But now that they are older and they don't have to prove anything to anybody they feel confident enough to get back so some of their old Visual Kei habits such as putting on some makeup again and dramatise their performances similar to what they did in the past.

Edited by seikun

Old school visual kei is the only thing I will listen to now. Occasionally I will listen to Dog in the PWO and NIGHTMARE (which are great bands btw). I don't know why but even for music outside of visual kei, to me music from 80's to early 2000's were always great for me. My favorite bands are Sleep My Dear, Rouage, NéiL, Missalina Rei, Lavender, Phobia, and Sense of Shape. I also like some indie vk bands from the 90's like Cassis (1998), Rain, Dys ti Quele, the list could go on... I'm even starting to think the indies vk bands were better than 90s mainstream vk bands. Not sure if Sleep My Dear is considered mainstream but I thought they were pretty popular during the 90s. 

On 18/4/2016 at 4:16 AM, Thorathora said:

I don't know why but even for music outside of visual kei, to me music from 80's to early 2000's were always great for me. My favorite bands are Sleep My Dear, Rouage, NéiL, Missalina Rei, Lavender, Phobia, and Sense of Shape. I also like some indie vk bands from the 90's like Cassis (1998), Rain, Dys ti Quele, the list could go on...

I certainly agree with you on that... Most of my favourite albums are from that year span. Also I LOVE old school vk favourite band lists, so i'll definitely check out the bands i didn't know.

To any of the veterans I need your help 

I like kote kei as much as anyone but I've mostly favoured the lost and forgotten ones like CLOUD missing tear zipang kirei an cafe kra so I was wondering what could you suggest me nothing too edgy has good lyrics