Sign in to follow this  
dannemannen

Matenrou Opera - Chikyuu, a super disappointment?

I am shocked Matenrou Opera can release something like this.
Exactly every new song on the album is filler-ish, generic and forgettable. 
And don't get me wrong, I love the band and checked the calendar everyday waiting for this to drop.

The only songs I like on the album are Burning Soul, 君と見る風の行方 and 讃えよう 母なる地で - three songs, all singles.

This has to be one of their worst releases ever.

Am I the only one who is disappointed?

Agree with Dillinger, it's an okay album. It's not that terrible, just too many "been there, done that" feeling all over the album. FANTASIA is amazing instrumental and the title song is quite decent. 

Too bad there is no mind blowing track like Helios, or Kassai to Gekijou no Gloria, or even Mou hitori no hanayume.

Really enjoying the flow of the album so far.

The only gripes i have with it is that Pandora is SHORT, the song is KAPOW and AWESOME, but sooooo short, long live the repeat function!

After 5 consecutive listens i can say that as an album, this one is really strong, the singles fit in here very well, and work together with the new songs perfectly. 

They've really grown ever since they started out.

Much love for them <3!

Edited by xxlyonexx

I didn't like AVALON.

Chikyuu is more disappointing. Chikyuu is their worst album, for sure !

I love the concept (the elements etc.) but the digital singles are forgettable. The new songs are not really good. The only new song I like is PANDORA but it is too shot omg !

And why did they put Chimeishou on this album ?! It's totally out of context and their worst song EVER !!

I wish they could comeback with a more powerful sound. Kassai to Gekijou no Gloria and ANOMIE are their best work so far.

I went into listening to the album with no expectations really, so I wasn't disappointed either. The last time I listened to these guys actively was probably around the "Abyss" mini album, of which I have no specific recollection, other than it being pretty cool. That's the thing here too: I enjoyed this album while listening to it, but I don't have much of an urge to re-listen anytime soon. It's well-executed, it sounds good, but I dunno... I guess it has to do with me not being really into the whole 'power metal & related stylings' thing, so a certain amount of time has to pass for me to be able to enjoy this style fully again. In any case, it's a decent album, maybe a bit overly long tho - I was this close to skipping the last two snooze-inducing syrupy tracks. On the other hand, I have to give props for the guys spicing it up a bit here & there with the instrumentation (some folky influences kinda?).

As far as Matenrou Opera usually sounds, there's nothing to complain about here: you get what you expect. I might spin it again in the future, depending on my mood. Solid release with a signature sound, but it can get a bit tiring at times.

:_6.5/10_:

i actually quite liked that album O.o most of their recent releases were boring as hell for me, but this one is quite ok and i really like "burning soul"~

I went into listening to the album with no expectations really, so I wasn't disappointed either.

this.

I think we were expectating so much because they used to make all their new releases better than the past releases.

I don't think Chikyuu is "bad" but it is not their best release.

I loved BOURNING SOUL (but we already heard that lol) and SILENT SCREAM. Ayax's solo definetly blew my mind. 

Imo AVALON is their best album.

I must say I was dissapointed. But not surprised really. Burning Soul was a great song, Ether was... well, was. Not too awesome, but not a bad song either. I was hoping of something better, but their digital releases didn't seem memorable to me. Sure, they improved in the instrumental area and the first part of the songs did look interesting enough, but they were too long and not catchy enough to compensate that lenght. 

Pandora was great, but way too short, as opposed to their two last digital releases. Fantasia is the only song that really blew my mind.

Best tracks: Pandora, Burning Soul, Silent Scream and Fantasia.

As much as I love MO, since Kassai to Gekijou no Gloria, and counting some exceptions of course, their releases have gone slowly and steadily downhill (which makes me sort of understand why Anzi would want to pursue another direction, musically speaking). I hope that Chikyuu is their rock bottom and that they will improve on this. I also hope they find a great guitarist. Filling Anzi's place after eight years isn't that easy.

Sign in to follow this